INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Response to Kwake's "France.mid" issue.  (Read 3764 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Response to Kwake's "France.mid" issue.
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:29:04 pm »

In response to a post from "Kwake" in the 149 thread (which is now locked.)

Kwake said:

I've set up my Handheld Sync to "Delete files not in sync list", and have identified my Supported Types as mp3;wma;jpg;MPG;.

What happens though is that a non supported type outside of the folders set up to receive MC media files is also being deleted on sync, in particular a Tom Tom Navigator GPS map file: France.mid.

It seems that MC11.1.x thinks the .mid file is some kind of media file - due to the associated icon - and flags it for delete, even though it's not listed in the "Supported File Types" field, nor sitting in one of the destination folders on the PPC.

What I would expect is that Media Centre only deals with:

A) files contained within the PPC folders configured within the Handheld option dialog (/images, /music, /videos)
B) files listed as 'Supported Types' of the Handheld option dialog (mp3;wma;jpg;MPG;).

Here is a diagram explaining what I'm trying to say: http://ken.wakefield.free.fr/Screenshots/Deleting_GPS_Files.jpg

Regards,
Kwake

I believe that "mid" is an extension for "midi" files, which ARE music files as far as MC is concerned.  This would explain why MC is seeing it as a file that you don't want on your iPod (since you don't have it in the "supported types" list.)

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Response to Kwake's "France.mid" issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:45:04 pm »

On a side note, I'm not seeing the "Files and Paths" options in the Advaced Options for my iPod.  Is this something that only shows up for certain devices, and does not show up for the iPod?

Thanks,

Larry

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 02:56:02 am »

Hi Larry,

I had the same idea that MC was seeing .mid as MIDI, however it's strange to notice (as shown in my attached screenshot) that the icon is a movie icon, not a music icon (which I would have expected for MIDI).

In any case, the problem is that the .mid file for the GPS map is in a completely different directory of its own, and should not be touched by MC when performing a sync of my music/images/movies.

If I did have MIDI files in my playlist, and were stored in a folder that I set MC to transfer to, I wouldn't have a problem. But I don't manage MIDI files with MC.

Thanks for your feedback anyway.

Regards,
Kwake

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 10:51:57 am »

Next build:
Changed: Optional deletion of files not in a sync for a handheld will only delete "supported" file types.

Thanks for the help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 03:17:52 pm »

Matt, thanks for the quick fix on this issue - since MC 11.1.151 I now no longer have to replace my map files after doing an MC sync!  :D

I was wondering if you'd considered some of the related points:

1. Would it be possible for MC to not re-sync files that are already transfered to the PPC? Currently it seems to delete everything, then re-copy the same files back each time during a sync. As I (and perhaps many others) usually just remove or add a few files from a standard running playlist, it takes a long time to sync when deleting and re-copying every single file each time. I wonder if it has something to do with the existing "Delete on Sync" files identified with the extensions, and the "In Queue" files not showing the extensions?

2. Would it be possible to have MC only check/display media in the pre-defined folders (set in Handheld Options dialog)? I don't see any reason to see the list of all files on my PPC storage card, if MC should only be dealing with the files within /Music, /Images, etc. Perhaps there's currently a way to configure this?

3. The .mid files are still being shown with a 'movie' icon beside them. Cosmetically, perhaps it would be better to have a generic file icon instead (unless item #2 above is at all possible that is - or unless identified as a "Supported Filetype" and therefore should probably have a music icon for MIDI).  ;D Can MC play MIDI files?

Again, thanks for having fixed this for me. Hopefully the suggestions above will help further fine tune this area of the code, if you agree.

Best regards,
Kwake

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 03:24:24 pm »

1. Would it be possible for MC to not re-sync files that are already transfered to the PPC? Currently it seems to delete everything, then re-copy the same files back each time during a sync. As I (and perhaps many others) usually just remove or add a few files from a standard running playlist, it takes a long time to sync when deleting and re-copying every single file each time.

This shouldn't happen.  It means the metadata isn't getting preserved.  Is MC able to create its XML database on the device? (MC.dic)

If not, what's the exact device that you have?  Thanks.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 02:59:23 am »

1. Would it be possible for MC to not re-sync files that are already transfered to the PPC? Currently it seems to delete everything, then re-copy the same files back each time during a sync (see previous post with screenshot showing it may be an issue with file extensions)- http://ken.wakefield.free.fr/Screenshots/Deleting_GPS_Files.jpg

From Matt: "This shouldn't happen.  It means the metadata isn't getting preserved.  Is MC able to create its XML database on the device? (MC.dic)"

There is an MC.dic in the root of the storage card, however it looks quite out of date (August 2005): http://ken.wakefield.free.fr/Screenshots/MC_dic.jpg
You can check out the file here: http://ken.wakefield.free.fr/Screenshots/MC.dic

The version of PPC on my Siemens SX-66 is:
Windows Mobile 2003 SE
Version 4.21.1088 (build 15005.1.2.1)
Intel PXA263

2. Would it be possible for MC to only check/display media in the pre-defined folders (set in Handheld Options dialog)? I don't see any reason to see the list of all files on my PPC storage card, if MC should only be dealing with the files within /Music, /Images, etc. Perhaps there's currently a way to configure this?

3. The .mid files are still being shown with a 'movie' icon beside them. Cosmetically, perhaps it would be better to have a generic file icon instead (unless item #2 above is at all possible that is - or unless identified as a "Supported Filetype" and therefore should probably have a music icon for MIDI).  Grin Can MC play MIDI files? This is fixed now for .mid files.

Regards,
Kwake

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 06:34:23 am »

There is an MC.dic in the root of the storage card, however it looks quite out of date (August 2005): http://ken.wakefield.free.fr/Screenshots/MC_dic.jpg
You can check out the file here: http://ken.wakefield.free.fr/Screenshots/MC.dic

Try renaming it so MC writes a new one.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 07:55:27 am »

Update:

Renamed MC.dic in two folders I found it in. /Storage and /Storage Card (the one in Storage is probably left over from when MC automatically detected it, however I've sinced removed it from the Handheld options dialog, since it doesn't have much space).

1. MC doesn't seem to be re-creating MC.dic after the rename and a subsequent sync
2. MC no longer sees what's in my /Videos folder, so doesn't delete files I have removed from my playlist.
3. I also noticed during testing that when deleting existing files before re-copying them, the entire folder is removed from the PPC Storage Card, and then recreated before re-copying the files from the playlist over.

Where is MC supposed to be re-creating the MC.dic? Should I be looking elsewhere than in the root of the Storage Card where the folders have been defined in the Handheld options dialog? I tried re-starting MC, but it still doesn't re-create the MC.dic file.

Thanks,
Kwake

SwellGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 11:13:35 am »

Kwake,

What is the Database Path set to in handheld options for the Storage Card device? (It should probably be blank for the root.)

That should be the location of where MC writes the mc.dic file.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 12:19:31 pm »

SwellGuy:

Audio: Music\
Video: Video\
Data: Data\
Playlist: Playlists\
Types: mp3;jpg;MPG;avi;

No sign of MC.dic in any of these folders, nor the root of the Storage Card...

There are MPG files in the Video folder that have since been removed from the playlist being synchronised, even with "Delete from Handheld any files not in Sync list" checked.

Regards,
Kwake

SwellGuy

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 12:41:58 pm »

There should be an option listed there for 'Database Path' as well. What is that folder set to?

Is MC transferring the files? Creating and transferring the playlist file?

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 01:00:58 pm »

Sorry Rick, forgot to add:

Database Path: Data\

No playlists folder is created at all, so no file within. Nothing in the Data\ folder either.

It's deleting all files (including the folder) from the Storage Card that are in the associated MC playlist, and then re-transfering them all.

It doesn't delete the files in the Video\ folder after I removed them from the MC playlist, however it will transfer new ones into it.

Regards,
Kwake

SwellGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 04:38:55 pm »

Is it having trouble creating the folders?

For the purposes of testing make sure "Delete from handheld any files not in sync list" is turned off.

Try creating the Playlist and Data folders on the Storage Card. Try syncing a simple playlist and see if the playlist and mc.dic files are transferred.

Try syncing a playlist with WMP and set the paths in MC accordingly.

Try setting the Database Path to blank.

When browsing the files on the device make sure 'Show All Files' is checked in the menu.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 04:44:40 pm »

Is it having trouble creating the folders? - Well, it hasn't created the Playlists folder for some reason, but it will create Images, Music and Video folders. It's having major problems creating the mc.dic file, which is probably the reason it deletes and re-syncs all files each time a small change is made to my playlist.

For the purposes of testing make sure "Delete from handheld any files not in sync list" is turned off. - Done.
Try setting the Database Path to blank. - Done.
Try creating the Playlist and Data folders on the Storage Card. Try syncing a simple playlist and see if the playlist and mc.dic files are transferred.  - Done - nothing transfered into the Playlist folder I created, nothing in Data, no mc.dic file to be seen.

Try syncing a playlist with WMP and set the paths in MC accordingly. - I'm not sure what you mean here...can you elaborate with step by step please?

When browsing the files on the device make sure 'Show All Files' is checked in the menu. - I could not find such an option, however I believe all files are being shown anyway. I'm viewing the files via MS ActiveSync "Explore" and doing a 'Refresh' to be sure.

///////////////////////////

I also tried resetting all devices (I only had one for Storage Card anyway), deleted all folders/files related to MC from the card, then re-configured Handheld Options for the Storage Card and synched again with a new small test playlist (without 'delete files not in sync list' enabled).

Result is always the same - no mc.dic, nothing in playlists or data folders. However, music, pictures and video will transfer as expected - but will systematically be deleted and re-transfered upon each subsequent sync. Also MC seems to lose track of what is already in the video folder sometimes, and not delete files I've removed from the playlist I sync. I imagine this is all due to the lack of mc.dic file...

- Can you tell me how I can reset everything back to zero and get the mc.dic to be created again? Seems it's not gonna work without that file.
- Do you guys have a PPC with Windows Mobile 2003 to test with? Any luck in reproducing this, perhaps by deleting the mc.dic and testing?
- Am I the only one having this problem with sync with a PPC? Do you know approximately how many of your users sync with a PPC?

Thanks,
Kwake

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 04:15:18 am »

Update for build 155:

The good:

- No longer see the problem of re-synching files already on device (Woohoo!)
- .mid files are no longer flagged for delete, when not in 'Supported Filetypes' field
- Folders not identified in handheld files & paths seem to be ignored by MC sync

Some issues still remain:

1. If I delete a file from the PPC storage card, MC doesn't seem to realize it (even after clicking 'recheck sync'). It won't re-transfer it from the playlist once deleted from the storage card (as it's still showing in the details view in MC as being 'On Device')
2. an .mpg file seems to have been 'lost' to MC, as it is showing in the list of files without a movie icon. MC won't delete it if removed from the sync playlist. Other .mpg files exist and are diplayed/transfered normally.
3. I still can't see any trace of an MC.dic file on the storage card, nor the PPC itself. Maybe this is why I'm still having the issues noted above?

Requests:

1. Would it be possible to NOT show the list of all files on the Storage Card in the devices view? I think it would be best only to show the files within the folders configured in the HandHeld Options (files & paths).

2. When deleting a file manually from the PPC storage card, could MC detect this and re-transfer it if still in the Sync Playlist?

3. How can I ensure an MC.dic file is created if corrupt or lost? Maybe this will solve all my problems here...

Thanks,
Kwake

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 12:12:10 pm »

I spoke too soon...the problem with files being deleted and re-copied has started happening again in build 155.

SwellGuy, any ideas with regards to the MC.dic?

Thanks,
Kwake

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 07:20:16 am »

Bump

SwellGuy

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 04:39:12 pm »

Kwake,

We've made a few changes in build 11.1.165 (that will be posted later today) that may take care of several of the problems you've been experiencing with your device.

One of the main discoveries we made was that the method we used to determine if we had to abandon the database file we save to the device (MC.dic) and re-analyze all the files doesn't work well on these devices. (Essentially, we can never be sure if that file is up-to-date or not.) So we now do a better job using re-analyzing the files on the device.

If you're still having problems it may be a conflict with a third party synching utility like ActiveSync. Make sure it's not set up to hinder/limit/interfere with actions you're trying to perform with MC.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 06:13:10 pm »

Thanks for picking this up again. Just installed and tested with Media Center 11.1.165.

Still having the same problems.

Specific problems:

1. Files are still being deleted and re-added for some reason...
Delete on Sync: Opeth - Advent.mp3 (all in Name collumn) - rest of the collums are blank
In Queue: Advent (in Name collumn), then 'Opeth' showing in the Artist column, album name in Album collumn, rating, etc...

2. After removing a jpg from the sync playlist, the jpg remains on the Storage Card.

3. Also have an .MPG file that isn't being recognized by MC's sync engine. The icon to the right of the filename is the generic one, not the movie icon as expected.

4. No sign of the mc.dic file being created. Is there a specific directory I should be looking in? Do I need to create it manually to initialize it?

Thanks for your support. Let me know if I need to send in any data for further troubleshooting.

Kwake

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 06:21:50 pm »

Kwake,

Please try erasing any music from the device with MC.  The database on the device and device are too far out of sync, and the device doesn't support metadata.

After erasing everything, try again with one or two files.  Let us know how you fare.

Thanks.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 07:00:01 am »

Hi Matt,

1. Deleted all MC files from my PPC Storage Card (as MC sync wouldn't delete them after I removed them from playlist).
2. Created brand new MC Playlist to sync with. Added a music file only (Opeth - Blackwater Park).
3. Still set to delete files not in playlist (which is the feature I most need to work).
4. First sync transfered the file, as expected.
5. Removed PPC from cradle, then plugged it back in.
6. Refreshed Sync List.
7. Same issue is happening still - existing files are deleted and re-transfered (see screenshot below).
8. Still no sign of an MC.dic file anywhere.

SwellGuy

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 10:34:04 am »

Let's get to the bottom of the MC.dic file problem first...

Are you using ActiveSync (or a similar utility) to broker the connection to the device? Do you have it set to synchronize? Are there any settings that could be interfering/blocking/filtering/removing the MC.dic file?

We've added some additional logging to the build that'll be posted a little later today. Please install the build, enable debug logging and send me the log file.

You can enable debug logging in the help menu. Set it to output to a file and check 'Handheld' event types only. This writes a file to 'C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11\Log.txt'.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 02:16:49 pm »

Yes, I'm using ActiveSync (v3.8.0 build 5004) which I thought was necessary for the connection between the PPC and the PC. It synchronizes files in a 'documents' folder on my HD, as well as syncs news articles via the AvantGo service. It's also necessary to run to be able to install software to the device.

I have no idea how it would filter files in any way. Do you guys have a Pocket PC to test with as well - maybe you could point me in a particular direction to check this?

I'll enable the logging on the next build as suggested and post the output after a test run.

Thanks,
Kwake

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 02:40:28 pm »

Thanks Kwake.  We've got several PocketPCs we're testing with.  Each one has some quirks.

The build is there, so if you get a log, please send it to rick at jriver dot com.

Thanks agian.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 02:29:24 pm »

Installed build 170. Also flashed my Pocket PC's System/Radio/Extended ROM for another reason (to enable High Quality Bluetooth profile - A2DP - for my new HT820 headphones).

Then I synced and bam: MC.dic (as well as a file called MC.dc) was created in the root of the Storage Card. Woohoo!  :o

However, the bad news is that I'm getting an Error in the 'Status' field for one song after another until it's gone through the whole playlist. The result on the Storage Card is a Music folder showing the correct name of each file, but each file is 0 bytes.  :'(

Here's the Handheld log file: http://ken.wakefield.free.fr/Screenshots/Kwakes_MC_Handheld_Log.txt

Not sure if it's build 170, or the fact I flashed my ROM that is the cause of the good and bad news above...but at least it seems something is happening now.

Cheers,
Kwake
Pages: [1]   Go Up