INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lyrics Editor 2.11  (Read 18875 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Lyrics Editor 2.11
« on: June 08, 2006, 11:37:26 pm »

Lyrics Editor 2.11 is now available

Special Note - By default, this version installs to a different location in order to be friendlier with various versions of Media Center.

What's new in version 2.11?

• Search Sites has been renamed to Lyrics Sites to better illustrate their function
  • You can now jump directly to different Lyrics Sites from the internal web browser
  • Updated toolbar images
  • Cleaned up the Add Lyrics Site dialog box and made the help text display optional

Bug Fixes in version 2.11

• Fixed a bug where the plugin would crash if you canceled out of the Always Capitalized Import dialog
  • The spell checker should be better about not scrolling past the word it's currently checking
  • Fixed the tooltip text for the internal web browser's "Go" button
  • New Lyrics Site help text was being cut off
  • Fixed a bug where the Strip Bracketed Text button wouldn't be disabled if the plugin started with an empty list

Version 2.1

• Strip out text in brackets, braces, or parenthesis(typically things like [Chorus] or {Guitar Solo})
  • Replace smart quotes and apostrophes with their friendlier cousins (" and ')
  • Add your own lyrics sites to make it even easier to search for missing lyrics
  • Use the optional internal web browser to automatically use selected lyrics on a webpage
  • Undo/Redo
  • Import new lists of words to always leave capitalized
  • Hitting "Enter" while editing Artist, Name, Album or Custom fields now commits changes immediately
  • Detailed file list tooltips are now optional
  • Progress indicator has been moved to a status bar
  • The "Just Save" button has been replaced by a "Previous (No Save)" button

Bug Fixes in version 2.1

• File list columns could populate backwards if they had been reordered
  • Pasting now works the same way it does in every other text editor ever created

What is it?

Lyrics Editor is a plugin that makes cleaning up the lyrics in your MEDIA CENTER music library much easier.

What can it do?

Use Lyrics Editor’s built-in tools that make it a breeze to clean up your lyrics, including
  • Capitalization :
    • Sentence case, Title Case, ALL CAPITALIZED, all lowercase
      • Plus the ability to specify certain words that need to be capitalized in special ways when using the Sentence case option
    • Spacing : Remove all extra spacing, Remove all extra spacing but leave stanzas intact
    • Instrumentals : One button that will automatically fill in instrumental songs with customizable text
    • Strip out text in brackets, braces, or parenthesis(typically things like [Chorus] or {Guitar Solo})
    • Add custom headers and footers
    • Clean up broken line feeds
    • Replace smart quotes and apostrophes with their friendlier cousins (" and ')
    • Change indentation
    • Spellcheck with custom dictionaries
  • All lyric editing tools can be customizably run with the click of one "AutoCorrect" button
  • All lyric editing tools (with the exception of Spellcheck) can be run in batch mode on all of the files in the list
  • Color code the file list so you can tell at a glance which files have lyrics, which don’t, and which have previously been edited in Lyrics Editor
  • Filter out file types that don’t typically have lyrics, such as images and videos, or files you’ve already cleaned up in Lyrics Editor
  • Quick access to Artist, Name, and Album tags
  • Easily add up to 6 custom fields of your choice for easy editing
  • Rate your files from Lyrics Editor using a graphical 5 star rating tool
  • Built in search tools make it easier to conduct Google searches for missing lyrics
  • Add your own lyrics sites to make it even easier to search for missing lyrics
  • Use the optional internal web browser to automatically use selected lyrics on a webpage

Special note - this plugin requires the .NET 2.0 Framework to be installed.

You can read more about it, see screenshots, and download it at http://www.dooftoo.com

You can also download a list of Always Capitalized Words as well.

dcwebman

Re: Lyrics Editor 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 08:11:51 am »

Doof, one awesome job! With some brief testing, here's what I came up with.

I love the changing of case button! I can finally fix all those Title Case lyrics to Sentence Case.

I like the idea of the custom fields. This allows easy changing of fields like Genre while editing.

The Undo button I guess is the "Reload From File" button?

The Sentence Case and Title Case icons are the same. How about making the Title Case icon look like BC?

I like the sorting of the File List. Although I will probably use it mostly sorted by Artist, I can see someone asking for a way to sort it as is from the File List.

I know it's trivial, but it's just a design thing that bothers me. The File List is listed as Artist - Name. Can the top right buttons be listed in the same order? Artist - Name - Album?

How come I can't pick the color for Lyrics Updated? Oh, I had to click the Save Update Status box. That wasn't clear.

If I set a color for "Has Lyrics" and then go to Pick Color for "No Lyrics" the color defaults to the "Has Lyrics" color instead of the color already selected for "No Lyrics". Worse, if I click Cancel, the color is still changed.

If I change the text from [Instrumental], the tooltip for the button still shows [Instrumental] where it should show what it was changed to.

If there is a long line of lyrics, the last character shown is cut off and I can cursor to the right 3 times before it shows up on the wrapped line below. The wrapping needs to happen sooner or a way to scroll. I figured out the way to widen the width of the lyrics box is to adjust the tree width or remove it, but depending on the width of the tree, this lyrics cut off happens.

Long lyrics don't have a vertical scroll bar.

Future:
Determine where the stanzas are and insert a blank line. LOL :-)

Again, great job! This will certainly make my life easier.
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:11:32 am »

Slight visual bug on the spell check dialog
The label 'Replace with:' slightly overlaps the outline of the edit box below it

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:24:22 am »

Doof, one awesome job! With some brief testing, here's what I came up with.

And so it begins... ;)

I love the changing of case button! I can finally fix all those Title Case lyrics to Sentence Case.

Yeah, it's pretty much my favorite feature as well. Well, that and the batch command button. I'm sure it'll need some tweaking as people find lyrics that don't get fixed properly, but it seems to be working pretty good.

The Undo button I guess is the "Reload From File" button?

Yeah, that's what the tooltip says. I'm still working on an Undo\Redo system. What a pain. None of the built in stuff works like it should for my needs.

The Sentence Case and Title Case icons are the same. How about making the Title Case icon look like BC?

That's a good idea. I wasn't sure what to do with it. I'll see if I can whip something up. In the meantime, if anybody else has any kind of artistic talent and would like to come up with some better toolbar buttons, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I like the sorting of the File List. Although I will probably use it mostly sorted by Artist, I can see someone asking for a way to sort it as is from the File List.

I think I'll worry about that when and if somebody complains. The sorting is a feature born solely out of my frustration with trying to find a particular file in the list. :P

Future:
Determine where the stanzas are and insert a blank line. LOL :-)

I knew somebody was going to ask for that!! :D

Again, great job! This will certainly make my life easier.
Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks. My girlfriend will be happy to finally get me back now that it's "done".

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 09:49:55 am »

Ok, I just uploaded an updated version (2.0.1) that:

• Fixes the color selection bug that dcwebman pointed out
  • Swaps the "Name" and "Album" fields.
  • Provides hopefully clearer text outlining the relationship between Save Update Status and Update Lyrics Color
  • Updates the Instrumental button tooltips when you change the Instrumental text
  • Hopefully fixes the scrollbar and disappearing text issue
  • Fixes the Spellchecker label overlap

You can download it from the link above. The changes are so minor that I'm not going to bother updating the top post.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 09:54:07 am »

Just wanted to add that if anybody comes up with a good list of words that should always be capitalized, things that are likely to show up in Lyrics, if they want to post their list in here, I'll add them to the default install if everybody thinks that would be helpful. Or even just provide a download link to the file..

Hmm... maybe I ought to write an import utility that will import updates into the main list...

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »

Great - I've been busy editing and tidying up all my lyrics and this is a treat  :)

In fact it's so much better than the tag panel and the lyrics/bios/comment editor in MC that I'd love to use this to be able to edit all the library fields (or at least the string value fields)

Anyone else think it'd be a good idea ?

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 02:47:56 pm »

Just a few things more about the spell check dialog

Sometimes the highlighted word isn't shown on screen and you have to scroll up and down to find just where it is (usually it's just one line up)

Lots of lyrics have repeated words which the spell checker spots - an option to not check for repeated words would be handy

The dialog box also shows a grab handle at the bottom right - but it's not resizable

Minor quibbles - you still get my vote for president of the world  :)

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 03:02:58 pm »

Just noticed what looks like a bug

Take the following as an example lyric
I said, "Ooh... Ooh... Ooh... Ooooh!" (Do me, baby)
Yeah (do me)
Do me, baby, honey, yeah (oh, give it 2 me)
Oh, oh, oh, oh! (Do me, baby)
(I want u now)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, ...!

(Do me, baby)
(Oh, give it 2 me)
(Do me, baby)
Do me, baby, don't wanna do it all alone (i want u now)
Yeah!

There are a few inconsistancies with the first characher after an open bracket, some being made uppercase and some lower
I can see that it's capitalizing the first character after periods/exclamations etc, but it looks odd

Any chance of a 'Only the first letter uppercase, all the rest lower' setting ?

dcwebman

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 03:08:21 pm »

All fixes work great. Regarding words that should always be capitalized, before I tried it the very first time I had put the words I, I'm, and I'll in there but when trying the new version, I didn't have them in there and it still did Sentence Case correctly with those. Guess you take care of those. If you have an internal list of words like this for Sentence Case, it might be nice to just include those in the Capitalization Options box so people know.

I did a spell check and the lyrics I had used an accent type character instead of the ' for words like you've. This caused the spell checker to say ve was wrong. I couldn't really add it to the dictionary. So one thing came out of spell checking:
  • After finding out this accent character was used in those types of words I went through trying to find them to change them to '. Funny that it didn't fail the spell check on all words, just a few, so I was trying to find words like ain't in the lyrics. Hence, the request for Find and Replace functions.  :-X

Jeff

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 03:18:55 pm »

Unfortunately, the Spellchecker isn't mine. It's a third party DLL I'm using, so I don't have much control over what it does. I do have the source code (which was how i was able to fix the overlap issue reported earlier), but I honestly don't understand half of what it's doing. It's mostly a little extra I was able to add rather easily, but the tradeoff is that it's not perfect. I've been keeping my eyes on the forum for it, so if there's any new development on it that addresses these things, I'll be sure to update it. And if I can make heads or tails of what it's doing, and can figure these things out myself, I certainly will, but don't hold your breath on that.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 03:20:55 pm »

Just noticed what looks like a bug

Take the following as an example lyric
There are a few inconsistancies with the first characher after an open bracket, some being made uppercase and some lower
I can see that it's capitalizing the first character after periods/exclamations etc, but it looks odd

Any chance of a 'Only the first letter uppercase, all the rest lower' setting ?

That would look really weird in the case where there's multiple definite sentences in a line, but it's not capitalizing the letters after the punctuation.

How about just always capitalizing the first word after a '(' ? Would that work?

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 03:27:16 pm »

Yup, but a lot of the punctuation marks in lyrics are just for emphasis, not new sentances

Lyrics have such a wide variety of styles it'd be difficult to try and catch every variation
I can live With just the first letter capitalized
That way lines that are wrapped on screen are easy to spot as well

No probs doof, take it easy you deserve a break anyway

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 03:41:37 pm »

So, I'm looking through my lyrics, and I'm starting to agree with you there...
So I was thinking... how about if it could capitalize letters after punctuation unless it came after a '(' or a '['. Would that be acceptable to everybody?
It is hard to programmatically handle all of the many variations that are out there, so we kind of have to find one central compromise that works for the majority.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 03:43:16 pm »

Also this is odd

It's so strange.... And well i, I know

notice the odd caps here   ^

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 03:45:45 pm »

All fixes work great. Regarding words that should always be capitalized, before I tried it the very first time I had put the words I, I'm, and I'll in there but when trying the new version, I didn't have them in there and it still did Sentence Case correctly with those. Guess you take care of those. If you have an internal list of words like this for Sentence Case, it might be nice to just include those in the Capitalization Options box so people know.

I did a spell check and the lyrics I had used an accent type character instead of the ' for words like you've. This caused the spell checker to say ve was wrong. I couldn't really add it to the dictionary. So one thing came out of spell checking:
  • After finding out this accent character was used in those types of words I went through trying to find them to change them to '. Funny that it didn't fail the spell check on all words, just a few, so I was trying to find words like ain't in the lyrics. Hence, the request for Find and Replace functions.  :-X

I and its variants are the only ones handled internally. Everything else is added by the user. I could probably move those to the default "always capped" box, just to avoid the confusion. I think the routine that handles the user words works better than what I came up with for I anyway, so I'll most likely do that.

I could really easily add in a "blind" find and replace function. A simple find tool would be trickier (iow, I have no idea how to do it), and a find and replace tool that showed you what it wanted to replace falls under that same category. It is on my "wouldn't it be nice" list, though, along with the Undo/Redo and one other thing I played around with for a bit, REALLY wanted it to make it, but ultimately had to remove it. I'm not even going to say what it was because I liked it that much. ;)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 03:50:41 pm »

Also this is odd

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I meant above when I said that the user supplied always-capped words functions better than the I handling I wrote. When I move it over, that should go away.

And the more I think about it... Capitalizing I is such an obvious thing that I still really don't like having it in the customized list. Maybe what I'll do is still change its functionality, but change the wording on that box so it tells the user that I is already handled for them. What do you guys think of that?

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 03:59:12 pm »

So, I'm looking through my lyrics, and I'm starting to agree with you there...
So I was thinking... how about if it could capitalize letters after punctuation unless it came after a '(' or a '['. Would that be acceptable to everybody?
It is hard to programmatically handle all of the many variations that are out there, so we kind of have to find one central compromise that works for the majority.

Yeah that's right - they don't follow the grammar used by normal people  :)

Lines with quotes (") in can be upper or lower depending on the context as well

Personally - i'd not bother toooo much about it, you're never going to catch all the variations, and it's so easy now to go and change any errors that it'd be a waste of your time

I'd vote for
1) Uppercase just the first letter
2) Adding bios/comment as well as lyrics (that should be quite easy - apart from adding updated status for the other fields, i'm not sure how your implementing this)

-------------

Actually this one really confuses me  ;D
For a test case it seems to just be the letter I

this is what i added to a lyric
i i i i i, i i , i , i i i,i,i ii i i, i, m m m,m m, m m , m
and this is the result with the sentence case option  :-\
I I i I i, I i , I , I i i,i,i ii I i, i, m m m,m m, m m , m

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 04:11:19 pm »

Ah, i've found another buglet

& it's you I need in the summertime

should be
& It's you I need in the summertime

or
And it's you I need in the summertime
-------------------

OT: I like the playing now sig you have - what's it called, i've been looking around but for the life of me I can't find it

--------------------

um, if i'm being annoying instead of helpful send me a pm  ;)

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 04:20:46 pm »

sorry, got another one

square brackets and round are treated differently
either way of doing it's ok with me, but should be consistant for all types ( [ {

pain in the a** ain't I !

easy to get around though,  four search and replace's later there's no nasty [ ] { }

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 04:29:08 pm »

for anyone else reading this thread - nearly all of these problems are the result of whoever typed the lyrics, not doof's

If you like lyrics - get this now, he's done a great job

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 05:17:24 pm »

You asked for word that should be capitalised

England, USA, United States etc

Of course, a search and replace solves it without to much fuss

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 05:49:05 pm »

for anyone else reading this thread - nearly all of these problems are the result of whoever typed the lyrics, not doof's

If you like lyrics - get this now, he's done a great job

I want to second that.  This is one of the finest plug-ins I've ever seen for Media Center, and it's a must-have.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »

Funny, I thought I was the only person here since the world cup started  ;)

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 05:58:35 pm »

And so it begins... ;)

Babylon 5 fan?

if not
Okay, we made a mistake. I'm sorry. Here, open my wrist

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 09:10:40 pm »

I've been sidetracked from my lyrics project for the past few weeks, but I found some time to check out the latest version and you have done an awesome job, Doof!

My only wish (and this really isn't a big deal) would be that words ending with *in' could be excluded from the spellchecker. (cryin', talkin', wantin', darlin', doin', tryin', etc. - There's a lot of them.)
Sue

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006, 01:50:02 am »

Babylon 5 fan?

if not
Okay, we made a mistake. I'm sorry. Here, open my wrist

hehe... indeed I am. I wondered if anybody would catch the reference.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 01:52:50 am »

I've been sidetracked from my lyrics project for the past few weeks, but I found some time to check out the latest version and you have done an awesome job, Doof!

My only wish (and this really isn't a big deal) would be that words ending with *in' could be excluded from the spellchecker. (cryin', talkin', wantin', darlin', doin', tryin', etc. - There's a lot of them.)

Yeah, I agree. I was especially noticing that with Aerosmith. I'll take a look through the english dictionary and see if it's something I can add on to without screwing it up. Shouldn't be too hard to find all words ending with "ing" and adding a "in'" version as well. The foreign language dictionary users are on their own, though. ;)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 11:53:31 am »

Just moved all of the Lyrics Editor info to my new website.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 12:51:39 pm »

Looks good… but don't forget your TITLE tags. ;-)
Sue

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 01:51:46 pm »

They're in there! They just don't work for some reason. When I preview the site, they work. When I upload it... nothing.

I got a friend looking at it. He's much more knowledgeable about web design than I am. I'm hoping he can straighten it all out for me.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 04:06:02 pm »

They're in there! They just don't work for some reason. When I preview the site, they work. When I upload it... nothing.

I got a friend looking at it. He's much more knowledgeable about web design than I am. I'm hoping he can straighten it all out for me.

Looks like he came through for me... things are running much better now.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 09:07:25 pm »

Yup… I see titles now. :-)
Sue

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2006, 01:39:52 pm »

Doof,

I love your plug-in, but I have a small issue that I'm not sure how to solve.

I have my autocorrect options set to 'Title Case'.

I'm getting inconsistent results for the following situations:

It's = I may get It'S or It's
I'll = I may get I'Ll or I'll

The same things happens with Ain't, Don't, That's, ...

I tried adding these words to the capitalization options but they don't appear to work with Title Case.

Any suggestions?

Randy

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2006, 10:29:19 am »

I'm willing to bet that in the cases where you get I’Ll, it's because you have a ’ character instead of a ' character. That character (along with “ and ”) wreak havoc on all kinds of things (like .NET's built-in TitleCase routine). If you replace these with their friendlier versions (' and ") that problem will go away.

The next release of Lyrics Editor actually has a tool that will do this for you. As long as you have that option selected when you run AutoCorrect or the Batch AutoCorrect, Title Casing will work.

As for the capitalization options you mentioned... those only affect Sentence case, since that's the only capitalization method that mixes caps with lowercase characters.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2006, 11:57:54 pm »

I'm willing to bet that in the cases where you get I’Ll, it's because you have a ’ character instead of a ' character. That character (along with “ and ”) wreak havoc on all kinds of things (like .NET's built-in TitleCase routine). If you replace these with their friendlier versions (' and ") that problem will go away.

The next release of Lyrics Editor actually has a tool that will do this for you. As long as you have that option selected when you run AutoCorrect or the Batch AutoCorrect, Title Casing will work.

As for the capitalization options you mentioned... those only affect Sentence case, since that's the only capitalization method that mixes caps with lowercase characters.

Hi Doof,

Your assumption is correct.  If I use the proper characters for ' everything is fine.  It takes a lot of work to fix this, so I'll hold off until the next version of your plug-in comes out.

Randy

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2006, 05:43:05 am »

library tools - find and replace  ;)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2006, 09:55:30 am »

Yeah, that works too. :)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2006, 11:50:51 pm »

Thanks for the tip...

500 plus lyrics out of 10,000 fixed in less than a minute.

Randy

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2006, 06:57:33 am »

I have just a couple of minor things to button up, and then 2.1 should be available. Hopefully today as long as the sky doesn't fall at work.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Lyrics Editor 2.1
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 04:39:30 pm »

Just released version 2.1. Details are in the first post of this thread or at http://www.dooftoo.com.

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 10:09:01 pm »

I just tried to install the new version and afterwards MC would not start. No error messages just the flash screen saying it was loading and then it went away.
I uninstalled the plugin and everything is now ok.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 10:55:00 pm »

Hmm... not sure. Do you have .NET 2.0 installed? Any other plugins? Every machine I've tested it on seems to work fine, and so far nobody else has given any input one way or the other. Did you have a previous version installed?

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2006, 04:35:09 am »

Works fine here

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2006, 06:29:27 am »

I had installed a previous version a few weeks ago.
I had problems with .net and installed the latest and then everything worked fine.
The only plugin I have installed is kings lyrics finder.

dcwebman

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2006, 09:36:20 am »

Doof, great work as usual. Here are my comments for this release.

• It would be nice to change the icon for Title Case so I can remember if I had selected Sentence Case or Title Case and just click the button without having to pull down the menu. Hover will work but the icon will give an immediate notice. Here's a sample set of icons I came up with if you want to take a look. http://www.copesonline.com/caseimages.zip
  • I learned that May is a common word instead of just a month so I removed it from the list. I added a bunch of I variations like I'm, I'll, etc.
  • The import of capitalized words is nice. Of course an export would be nice too but a simple copy and paste to an editor to save the file works too.
  • Would really be nice to be able to edit the Comment field in the big window since that can be many characters.
  • The spell checker sometimes doesn't show the word in question. Usually it's the line above the lines in the window.
  • Just Save has been removed. If I'm in the middle of editing and want to step away but want to make sure the current lyrics are saved even though I'm still working on them, do I need to do a Previous or Next in order to save them?
  • Internal browser far right button arrow tooltip says "toolStripButton1".
  • New Lyrics Site instructions second line is cut off.
  • I tried adding a new lyrics site but couldn't quite get it to work. If some people get others added, it would be nice if they posted them and you could add them.
  • I think I like the way the other Search Google worked. I have my Google preferences set to "Open search results in a new browser window" and with that, it didn't work with the internal browser. Plus some sites (like LyricsFreak) do something weird and the browser just goes blank.
  • I don't know if it's related to your plugin or not but somehow the Ctrl+2 shortcut for Mini View stopped working. I closed MC and restarted and then it worked.

The list may seem a little long but I don't know what I'd do without your plugin. You've done a fantastic job!
Jeff
Jeff

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2006, 09:57:29 am »

I had installed a previous version a few weeks ago.
I had problems with .net and installed the latest and then everything worked fine.
The only plugin I have installed is kings lyrics finder.

Ok, sorry it took me so long to reply. I was away for a long holiday weekend.

Out of curiosity, have you tried reinstalling the LE plugin to see if the problem is still there?
And if so, can you try uninstalling the Lyrics Finder plugin and see if that helps? Just wondering if there might be a conflict there. Not really sure what it could be, as I (and I imagine just about everybody else in this thread) have both of these plugins installed and working fine. That you reported previous problems with .NET 2.0 makes me wonder if there isn't something funky going on with your PC, though. Another thing to try is installing Mr Chriz's C# Scripting plugin, or even my Captionater plugin. Since they're all written in .NET it might help figure out if there is something funky going on with your .NET install. I know King uses VB6, so .NET doesn't come into play there.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2006, 10:17:07 am »

• It would be nice to change the icon for Title Case so I can remember if I had selected Sentence Case or Title Case and just click the button without having to pull down the menu. Hover will work but the icon will give an immediate notice. Here's a sample set of icons I came up with if you want to take a look. http://www.copesonline.com/caseimages.zip

Yeah, I meant to look into that but in my rush to get it done before the holiday, I forgot. I'll take a look at your icons and see how they look.

• I learned that May is a common word instead of just a month so I removed it from the list. I added a bunch of I variations like I'm, I'll, etc.

The install for LyricsEditor shouldn't be including a list of words to always cap anymore (so it won't overwrite the ones you already have). I can't remember if the months were something I stuck in a previous build or not, but yeah, May should definitely be removed. I actually have a list here that I compiled of country names, state names and capitals, plus some proper names... basically things I encountered and added to the list as I was working on my lyrics (The states, capitals, and country names all came from a couple of Animaniacs songs :P ). As soon as I get some time, I'm going to put up a download link for it so people can download and import it. In the meantime, if anybody has anything that could be added, post it, and I'll add it to the list.

Beyond that... you shouldn't have to add any variations of I. Just putting I in there should also catch I'm, I'll, etc.

• The spell checker sometimes doesn't show the word in question. Usually it's the line above the lines in the window.

Yeah, like I said before, the spellchecker was somebody else's work so I'm not sure I'll be able to fix any bugs in it. I don't understand half of what it's doing.

• Just Save has been removed. If I'm in the middle of editing and want to step away but want to make sure the current lyrics are saved even though I'm still working on them, do I need to do a Previous or Next in order to save them?

Forgot to mention that. The plugin will now automatically save data when you exit MC or choose another playlist in LE, so I didn't really see a point to a Just Save button anymore. If you don't plan on exiting MC when you're done, a quick Next or Previous will do it.

• Internal browser far right button arrow tooltip says "toolStripButton1".
  • New Lyrics Site instructions second line is cut off.

D'oh! I'll fix it.

• I tried adding a new lyrics site but couldn't quite get it to work. If some people get others added, it would be nice if they posted them and you could add them.

What happened when you tried? And what did you expect to happen? Just curious as to how I can make this whole part work better and be clearer.

• I think I like the way the other Search Google worked. I have my Google preferences set to "Open search results in a new browser window" and with that, it didn't work with the internal browser. Plus some sites (like LyricsFreak) do something weird and the browser just goes blank.

You can disable use of the internal browser in the options (Miscellaneous). I personally don't use any search sites other than just Google, and for me, being able to select text and hit one button is nice, which was the sole reason I added the internal browser. I just wish I could figure out a way to kill pop-ups for the internal browser. But that's why it's optional, for the people who really hate IE and don't want to use it.

• I don't know if it's related to your plugin or not but somehow the Ctrl+2 shortcut for Mini View stopped working. I closed MC and restarted and then it worked.

Shouldn't be. I'm not capturing any keyboard shortcuts.

The list may seem a little long but I don't know what I'd do without your plugin. You've done a fantastic job!
Jeff

Hey, keep the bug reports and suggestions coming! I want to make the best plugin I can, and I can't do that without your help.

dcwebman

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2006, 12:38:22 pm »

Hope you had a nice long weekend. I figured that's what you were doing.

What happened when you tried? And what did you expect to happen? Just curious as to how I can make this whole part work better and be clearer.
I just picked the first lyrics site that I came to which was LyricsFreak and couldn't get it to work. I couldn't get my favorite lyrics site of sing365.com to work either. There's a search option on the site but it appears to not work with querystring like Google does.  But like you, Google is all I really use anyway. Now that I know about the disabling of the internal browser (missed that option), I'm fine again. I like the one click method but cut and paste doesn't bother me.

If others could contribute their search site options, it would be nice to be able to have when Lyrics Editor is installed as examples instead of just Google.
Jeff

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2006, 01:54:24 pm »

Hope you had a nice long weekend. I figured that's what you were doing.
I just picked the first lyrics site that I came to which was LyricsFreak and couldn't get it to work. I couldn't get my favorite lyrics site of sing365.com to work either. There's a search option on the site but it appears to not work with querystring like Google does.  But like you, Google is all I really use anyway. Now that I know about the disabling of the internal browser (missed that option), I'm fine again. I like the one click method but cut and paste doesn't bother me.

If others could contribute their search site options, it would be nice to be able to have when Lyrics Editor is installed as examples instead of just Google.

Yeah, one thing I noticed while trying to add this feature was how many different ways the various sites do their searches. Unfortunately, I doubt there's anyway to handle them all. LyricsFreak is especially difficult because the URL it uses first specifies the first letter (or number) of the Artist name (which would be doable), but then it tacks a unique number onto the end of the url, and at that point, there's nothing I can do. Another site I found lumps all numbers together into a /0-9/3 Doors Down kind of method. There's just too many variations.

One thing you can do with the Search Sites option, though, is just add the main page of the site as the URL (without specifying anything as Artist or Name), and then it'll act like a bookmark to a lyrics site. But like you said, Google seems to work the best for me, so that's all I bother using.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up