INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone Sync with iTunes screenshots please  (Read 2387 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
iPhone Sync with iTunes screenshots please
« on: July 02, 2007, 07:28:35 pm »

I have been looking around a bit but am having trouble finding some screenshots of iTunes on Windows when syncing with the iPhone.  Would someone with an iPhone please post some Windows iTunes screenshots?  I'm mainly interested in the calendar, contacts, bookmarks, and possibly email section.  I'm concerned that they don't want people using Firefox (and Thunderbird) because they want people to use Safari.  I really need all my data from Firefox and Thunderbird to sync.

My email should be fine because it's just a standard IMAP server.

benn600

Any iPhone Support Developments?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:14:42 am »

Just would like to know if there is any hope for getting Media Center to support the iPhone--at the minimum to sync music...then pictures...then video...

I'm still interested in syncing to Sunbird for my calendar--which uses iCal files but it's not on a Mac so that won't work there.  Then, I need a way to sync my contacts and now I use Thunderbird's contact manager.

I don't necessarily care what I use for that stuff but I don't want to use Outlook, ever.  I used to and it's horrible.

noshali

• Recent member
Re: Any iPhone Support Developments?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:56:04 am »

Itunes is horrible. I cannot pick and choose which albums to put on my iphone. Albums need to be put in playlists to sync. Hoping that MC12 will support it REAL soon as I am about to pull my remaining hair. What a nightmare??? MC spoilt us.

regrds,

Cheburashka

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:42:05 pm »

Just would like to know if there is any hope for getting Media Center to support the iPhone--at the minimum to sync music...then pictures...then video...

I'm still interested in syncing to Sunbird for my calendar--which uses iCal files but it's not on a Mac so that won't work there.  Then, I need a way to sync my contacts and now I use Thunderbird's contact manager.

I don't necessarily care what I use for that stuff but I don't want to use Outlook, ever.  I used to and it's horrible.

Respectfully, I don't know why having MC support iPhones implies that MC will support synching contacts and calendars at all, let alone why it would imply synching them with some distinct application.  I think this is an entirely different feature request, honestly, and I hope it doesn't slow-up those of us who just want to start synching what MC already synchs with their iPhones.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:38:39 pm »

Well wait a second.  What iPhone user would even consider not syncing their contacts and calendar?  If you use it with any thrust at all and rely on it, you absolutely cannot hope that something doesn't go wrong--such as a continuous reboots--or corruption--or loss.  It just can't be an option.  I only have around 100 contacts at the moment but I hear of a lot of business people with hundreds -- approaching a thousand or more.  It's not tough.

Then there comes an issue: could you use iTunes for the data and then easily switch to MC for media?  That would be perfectly fine.  I'm just afraid that it will delete all your media at that point.

I bet it's a long shot and unlikely that they will support syncing but I guess I've almost began overlooking the possibility that it will sync with iPhone because if it doesn't sync the other data, then it just isn't going to help my situation.  I've accepted that I may have to use iTunes, which I don't like, but there just isn't any way around it.

It's not so much the ease of syncing--type on computer and copy--as the backup.  You cannot risk losing so many contacts.

Don't forget J River.  If there's any chance: iTunes does sync favorite contacts, camera photos, and some other things that aren't even available to the user--they are just resynced in the event of a failure.

So answer me the question above: would only being able to sync music, photos, and videos be useful to anyone?  No one is going to buy the iPhone and not use the contacts and you'd be crazy to not worry about the million events that could destroy your huge contacts list.  A combination of iTunes + MC would be fine, too, but I don't think iTunes would like that.  Unless MC can somehow work in conjunction with iTunes.

Any comments are very welcome.  I want to understand this more--it's a complex problem as you can see.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:43:17 pm »

As for podcasts...I could easily switch all my feeds to the iPod compatible version and then that's no problem at all.  They are downloaded via Juice on my server.  MC will quickly notice the new files in my Podcasts folder and as I can create a playlist using the file path /Podcasts/*Podcast Name* ...so this would be really neat.  Don't get me wrong, MC syncing media would be absolutely amazing.  I am just confused as to how it could work in an acceptable way.  Am I crazy: do most of you not need contacts synced?  How are you planning on syncing them?  Doesn't iTunes demand that it take over everything when it syncs?

Too bad there wasn't an online service that iPhone users could sync their low bandwidth data to--contacts, calendar, notes, built-in camera.  I guess we need 3rd party apps.

Remember many are claiming they will release an iPhone update soon.

Question: this is version 1.0.  If they started manufacturing iPhones 3 months ago, then they had to be loading v 1.0 3 months ago, right?  doesn't that mean they've had three months of software development time?  Shouldn't they be close to releasing an update?

Cheburashka

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:58:02 am »

Well wait a second.  What iPhone user would even consider not syncing their contacts and calendar?  I
...snip...
Any comments are very welcome.  I want to understand this more--it's a complex problem as you can see.

Many, I'd think.  I have a contact list on my PC at work, and I use the contacts on my phone, but do I really use the contact list in MS Outlook on my home PC for much?  No, not really.  They fell out of sync with my phone three phones ago--and the phone is kept a lot more up to date than Outlook.    I'd like them to synch.  I wouldn't mind being able to synch the contacts with iTunes and everything else with JRiver.  But honestly, having synced the contacts once, I'd be pretty content even if I couldn't conveniently synch them again.

If Outlook on my home PC were syncing with Notes at work then maybe I'd care more, but the contact list on my home PC -- and I'm guessing most people with iPhones are like this -- is little more than a backup for the cell phone anyway.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:51:19 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up