INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focus Problems  (Read 3080 times)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
Focus Problems
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:16:26 pm »

For some time now (ever since I've been using Vista I think) I've had problems with MC losing focus.
Examples include:
Using the right click menu, upon selecting something, another window will jump in front of MC.
MC's window acts as if it's inactive, and the only way to reactivate it is to click on the taskbar button. i.e. I can select albums, but rightclicking on them is ineffective, and the 'Play' and 'File' links don't appear.

Has anyone else experienced any problems like this?

Cheers,
Ben

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Focus Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:25:27 pm »

Yes, there are a few threads with similar reports. At least 1 or 2 are still on the front page.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Hmm, sorry I must be blind as I cannot see anything about this sort of problem, on the front page or otherwise (and have done a bit of searching)  ? The only thing I could find was this
2) T'View loss of focus / not in front:  I've not had this for a while but sometime (not sure how) MC would lose focus so RC commands will not work till I "Alt-Tab" back to MC12.  Even odder is when MC12 appears to be on the top, and does have focus yet the bottom windows menu bar is visible - again "Alt-Tab" will fix but not ideal as this needs the K'Board to come out...

but that was the last post of the thread, and only refers to Theater View which I don't use at all.

If you could direct me to one of these threads I'd be much grateful!
Cheers,
Ben.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:03:45 pm »

I believe it's a directshow/thumbnail building problem. I'll be able to direct you to the correct thread, I htink. I was at work before, so not enough time to link you then. Just re-read your post, and I htink it sounds like my problem. Ignore the specifics i.e. Haali if you don't run it, but tell me if it sounds like this:

Could it be a 'building thumbnails' problem?
Most of my videos use Haali as a media splitter. One 'feature' of this is that every time it's used a little tray icon appears. I've noticed that when MC becomes unresponsive, my system tray is filling up with Haali icons. This is usually indicative of thumbnail building. When this happens, right clicks are not registered, the scroll wheel doesn't work and drop-down menus don't function either. Trying to tag any fields causes them to exit from editing mode. After a minute or so, the system becomes responsive again, but there's no knowing how long (usually a few seconds) one has to complete the task you were trying to do before the freeze/shut out starts again. A simple task such as copying a thumbnail/cover art to clipboard could take three minutes or more while you constantly right click to see if it's done yet, is it done yet, is it bloody well done yet?

I get similar behaviour when I request a thumbnail build, even though it's meant to be done in the background. However, I notice that the little status area in the lower left of standard view doesn't always tell the truth. Once it's said it's done building, it's actually continuing to make more, as judged by the Haali icon in the tray continuing to appear and trying to quit MC results in a notification that thumbnails are being built. If I re-request to build missing thumbnails once it claims to have done them all, there are somehow hundreds or thousands left to build, even though it claimed to have done them all a few minutes before.
I've found that each time I request a thumbnail build there are fewer left to build when the task starts. I'm hoping that once the process is over finally, that the freezing/shut out problem will go away. I disabled all my Symantec anti-virus software last night. I got the feeling that the shut-outs were shorter in duration, but they're still happening for sure.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:04:27 pm »

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 04:22:16 am »

I don't think it's that.  All my thumbnails are fully built, and MC doesn't become unresponsive at all - I can always just click back into it and then it's fine.  It is purely a case of the window losing focus.

Thanks.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:20:43 am »

AH, okay. Just a note; when I said MC becomes unresponsive, I meant to right clicks. Sorry I can't be of any help this time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 03:49:24 pm »

Here's a focus problem (and a solution related to ffdshow and Divx):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45710.msg314369#msg314369

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 07:25:18 pm »

Thanks,
I'll have a play with filters and suchlike, although am not convinced as I don't really use MC for video much, and like I say all thumbnails are long since built.
It's not a huge problem, was just curious if anyone else had it.
Will post if I ever get to the bottom of it :)
It can wait till next week now as am heading up to the Lake District the weekend :D

globetrotters1

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 12:49:33 pm »

Yes, I have similar problems all the time with the focus... if something else pops up, be it for instance a message of another program (virus scanner reporting that it has updated its virus database - which happens sometimes three times a day! but also other running processes) MC12 loses focus and then all touchscreens within the house get unresponsive...

I suppose this is the Windows O/S and no problem of MC12...

But IF it would be possible to tell the O/S to keep the focus on MC12 that would solve this problem in a very elegant way

Could any of you JRiver guys answer this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up