INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More touch screen support requested  (Read 4760 times)

gt93grad

• World Citizen
More touch screen support requested
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:36:48 am »

I'm using a touch screen monitor, and it's a completely different way to interacting with the software.  Not sure who is using it, but I want to see if you can consider touch screen users more in the design. For example, while right clicking can be done with touch screens, it's a little more cumbersome.  In the 3D view, you can "drag" the thumbnails to scroll to other albums.  But you can't really click and drag on a touch screen, so it would be nice to be able to do this another way (like a scroll bar).  Also, if the text gets much smaller, it won't be possible to use touch screens any more.  Just a few thoughts.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: More touch screen support requested
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:03:31 pm »

I know it's not 3DView, but have you tried Theater View recently? Recent developments have introduced flick gesturing and OSD when using the scrollbar. It's not perfect (yet) but it's not bad...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 05:46:04 pm »

Try the Obsidian skin.  It's the one most advanced at this point.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:12:05 pm »

So it's not possible to drag items with a normal touch screen? That might put a real bump in my touch screen plans.
I was looking forward to the flicking in theater view in every room.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:18 pm »

So it's not possible to drag items with a normal touch screen? That might put a real bump in my touch screen plans.
I was looking forward to the flicking in theater view in every room.

Yes, it is possible. I can click and drag, flick, scroll, select - the works. JR have improved TS support in the Obsidian Skin substantially in the latest builds to the point where it now works well.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 05:36:53 am »

Great news. I'll look into a touchscreen some day then. Can't wait to flick away.

I do hope that 3D view will some day be included in Theater View though! Would make more sence to have it in Theater View, rather than standard view where you're mostly using mouse and keyboard anyway.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:12:46 am »

Yes, it is possible. I can click and drag, flick, scroll, select - the works. JR have improved TS support in the Obsidian Skin substantially in the latest builds to the point where it now works well.
Good to know.  Keep us posted on any little things that need attention.  We want it to work well on touch screens.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:30:38 am »

Would one of you please either post or PM a link to a touch screen monitor that you are using and find good.  I may consider one if it isn't too expensive and see how it works.  I have two monitors with two computers on my desk (dual monitor KVM) but have been considering a third dedicated computer + monitor -- small -- to put on the side of my desk and use as a little entertainment zone.  Of course sound would be a problem because my KVM is only 2 ports and the sound is used for both of my computers.  I can now see the benefit of having gone for the 4 port switch.

But with this I could just have the small touch screen monitor on my desk and then use theater view.  Could be very nice.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 10:20:59 am »

This is what I'm using, and I love it.  http://www.elotouch.com/Products/LCDs/1515L/default.asp

I paid $400 for it last year at a local dealer in Atlanta.  ELO is the leading brand name, so they cost a little more.  But it works perfectly and looks good.  You can probably find a used one for as little as $200 somewhere.

I bought mine here:  www.touchwindow.com.  Worked with a helpful guy named  Bryan Graves...

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 04:16:02 pm »

I'm using an LG 1510BF.

I've had it for a few years now though, so don't know if you can still get them...

benn600

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:24:14 pm »

I found a 15" for $300, in line a bit with your numbers.  I've just always thought touchscreens are a bit expensive for their size.  But I guess the touch sensitive component is a bit pricey.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08:55 am »

Yeah, I remember mine being about AU$800.00 when I bought it.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 01:00:39 pm »

I recently bought one of these things:

Small (7") but only uses USB (for the screen, video and power) - just 1 cable instead of 3!
$200
www.thegadgeteers.com

--max

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 02:54:44 pm »

I recently bought one of these things:

Small (7") but only uses USB (for the screen, video and power) - just 1 cable instead of 3!
$200
www.thegadgeteers.com

--max

Neat.  So does it show up like a second video card to the system, or how do you get your PC to use it as its display (primary or secondary)?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 03:32:10 pm »

Yes, it is neat!
It shows up as a DisplayLink adapter.
Can be used as a secondary monitor - extended or mirror, or even as a primary monitor (no picture shown until OS fully started, i.e. no access to BIOS at boot time)
I tried it with 3 different systems - didn't work at all with my old laptop (it's really old, USB 1.1 is probably the reason), the other 2 worked just fine.

--max

Neat.  So does it show up like a second video card to the system, or how do you get your PC to use it as its display (primary or secondary)?

benn600

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 05:42:55 pm »

All I would need is the lowest end one.  I wouldn't want or need the webcam or audio support.  The cheap one is $130.  That is intriguing!  It's main use would be because I often use my two large monitors (21" + 24") for work but then it would be nice to have an extra monitor just for watching video on or even controlling MC on--sort of a dedicated media display.  Plus, when I switch on my KVM, this monitor wouldn't switch so I would have an area I could move things to that I could see on my Mac!

Or I could get the Mac version for $230 and plug this into the USB ports on my KVM so I could switch it between my two computers...but I'd rather start with the cheap one and see if it will work for me.  Too bad they don't have a 10" version.

I may be ordering one!

benn600

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 05:45:36 pm »

Describe how you feel the 7" display works?  Is it too small?  I need to check but I think my Asus EEE has a 7" screen.  I can judge it based on that.  Sounds definitely a little too small.  Resolution would probably be okay though--for watching DVD video.

Actually, probably would be best for showing MC's detached display so I can control MC on a bigger screen but just watch the content -- or CD cover art on this tiny monitor.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 06:38:34 pm »

Be aware - the cheap one doesn't have a touchscreen..
Yes, it is small if you use it as a primary mon.. You need to have some sort of touch-screen-friendly front-end running on it.
I only tried it with HTPC/MC once and moved it to my carputer (with Centrafuse front-end), so i didn't have a chance to test it thoroughly with MC - worked perfectly as a secondary monitor with NetRemote2 on it to control my HTPC (including MC). Tried Theater View on it - seemed OK.
Now I am going to move it back to my HTPC setup as it (the Mimo) doesn't play nice with my Intel Atom-based carputer - it increases the boot time by about 1 min (from 45 sec to almost 2 min). Not Mimo's fault - this Atom mobo stumbles even on an empty USB cable attached to it...

All I would need is the lowest end one.  I wouldn't want or need the webcam or audio support.  The cheap one is $130.  That is intriguing!  It's main use would be because I often use my two large monitors (21" + 24") for work but then it would be nice to have an extra monitor just for watching video on or even controlling MC on--sort of a dedicated media display.  Plus, when I switch on my KVM, this monitor wouldn't switch so I would have an area I could move things to that I could see on my Mac!

Or I could get the Mac version for $230 and plug this into the USB ports on my KVM so I could switch it between my two computers...but I'd rather start with the cheap one and see if it will work for me.  Too bad they don't have a 10" version.

I may be ordering one!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 06:48:14 pm »

... this Atom mobo stumbles even on an empty USB cable attached to it...
Punt.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 09:18:37 pm »

Wooops..
I lied. Sorry.
It does not do Theater View : (
as it does not support Direct3D in XP
(might work in Vista - I don't have it to check)
per displaylink.com :
USB Display Adapter and DirectX support (420027)

Windows 2000/XP
The USB Display Adapter supports a subset of DirectDraw commands.
There is currently no support for Direct3D or hardware acceleration on Windows XP

Windows Vista
The USB Display Adapter uses the GPU of the primary graphics card under Vista. The primary graphics card GPU does the 3D DirectX work, and the composited desktop is then given to the DisplayLink driver.

Tried Theater View on it - seemed OK.

benn600

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 10:21:34 pm »

So let me see if I understand this.  The 7" display pictured above: will it work for theater view?

Most importantly: can I watch high quality DVD video on the display?  I don't want the touchscreen version--just the cheap one.  I don't need a webcam or any audio support.  All I want to do is hook it up to my primary computer, running Windows XP, and be able to watch the MC DETACHED display on it.  So I can get a show or movie playing and watch it on this third monitor.  This way, my two main monitors are not disturbed and if I switch to my Mac on my KVM, I will still see the third monitor because it is hooked directly to my PC and has no connection to my KVM--it only does two DVI monitors anyway so it couldn't...although it could be hooked up on the USB end--and the USB, like the audio, I can lock on a machine or move it.

It is pretty neat that I can keep the audio or certain USB devices on a certain machine or switch them to my other machine with a few keyboard shortcuts--which I quickly memorized.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 11:11:49 pm »

As I mentioned above, DisplayLink doesn't support Direct3D in XP. So, Theater View doesn't work (in XP). Might work in Vista.
I just checked video via MC - it crashes when put on this 7" once video starts playing. Not sure why since Media Player Classic works just fine (windowed and full screen).
Pls take a look at their FAQ for limitations:
http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/publicfaq.shtml

--max

So let me see if I understand this.  The 7" display pictured above: will it work for theater view?

Most importantly: can I watch high quality DVD video on the display?  I don't want the touchscreen version--just the cheap one.  I don't need a webcam or any audio support.  All I want to do is hook it up to my primary computer, running Windows XP, and be able to watch the MC DETACHED display on it.  So I can get a show or movie playing and watch it on this third monitor.  This way, my two main monitors are not disturbed and if I switch to my Mac on my KVM, I will still see the third monitor because it is hooked directly to my PC and has no connection to my KVM--it only does two DVI monitors anyway so it couldn't...although it could be hooked up on the USB end--and the USB, like the audio, I can lock on a machine or move it.

It is pretty neat that I can keep the audio or certain USB devices on a certain machine or switch them to my other machine with a few keyboard shortcuts--which I quickly memorized.

benn600

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 07:57:29 am »

The proper way for me to accomplish this is to just buy a low-end (by today's standards) DVI video card and a small monitor.  Then I won't have the limitations associated with using USB--of course that's nowhere near as fast as DVI!!!

I could get a decent 15" screen then for the same price--maybe a little more.  I decided for this application, I would not need a touch screen.  This use I've thought up would actually be a nice and important use.  I've had 3 monitors before and it was actually a pain to me.  My third monitor was almost never used.  I could, then, get a Samsung so it matches better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up