INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading FLAC multiple tags (Vorbis comments)  (Read 4600 times)

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Reading FLAC multiple tags (Vorbis comments)
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:40:18 am »

I am currently evaluating MC 13, which seems very powerful and just what I need. I have, however, one big issue. All metadata from my flac files with Vorbis comments are not read and incorporated in the MC database. I have several tracks with multiple artists performing and even more tracks where there is more than one composer. According to the Vorbis comments standard each artist is in a separate ARTIST tag (comment) and each composer is in a separate COMPOSER tag (comment), i.e. one file often has several ARTIST and COMPOSER tags (comments). Only the first tag (comment) is read and incorporated in the MC database. I can however see all tags (comments) in MC if I choose Tag - Click for detailed format information.

I have searched the wiki and the forums but I have not been able to find a solution or workaround, apart from retagging all my files as suggested in this rather old thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40670.0, which is not really an option for me.

Has there been any development on the issue since that thread, or has anyone come up with another workaround? I see that there is a new version being developed, MC 14. Will this version address the issue?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Reading FLAC multiple tags (Vorbis comments)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:52:00 am »

You can add tags to MC.  If the name matches exactly, the values will be displayed.

MC can also move the data from one tag to another if necessary.

You might also try MC14, available on the MC14 board here.  I'm not sure whether there have been any changes, but trying it will tell you. 

Both MC13 and MC14 can be installed at the same time.

vagskal

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:01:26 am »

You can add tags to MC.  If the name matches exactly, the values will be displayed.

Do you mean that if I add a custom tag to be scanned by MC and name it to ARTIST (which is the same name as the tag currently being scanned but where only the first occurance of the tag in a file is incorporated into MC), then all occurances of tags with that name in one file will be scanned by MC and incorporated in its database?

Or do you perhaps mean that all artists, in different ARTIST tags in one file, will be displayed in MC if I add several Artist columns (connected to the ARTIST tag) in a MC view? EDIT: This one did not work since it seems that only one artist column can be displayed per view.

I am afraid that I do not understand exactely what to do.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:51:11 am »

Try exploring the tag entries here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

You can't have two tags with the same name.  Try a google search for tag standards for your filetype.  You should be able to find a list of names used.

vagskal

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:10:09 am »

You can't have two tags with the same name.  Try a google search for tag standards for your filetype.  You should be able to find a list of names used.

I do have have several tags (actually called Vorbis comments) with the same name in the same flac file. This is recommended according to the specifications for Vorbis comments: http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

Field names are not required to be unique (occur once) within a comment header. As an example, assume a track was recorded by three well know artists; the following is permissible, and encouraged:
              ARTIST=Dizzy Gillespie
              ARTIST=Sonny Rollins
              ARTIST=Sonny Stitt

The issue I am experiencing is that I cannot get all information in those standard tags, complying with the appropriate standard, into the MC database. Thanks anyway for trying to help.

vagskal

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:21:40 am »

After becoming more and more aware of what the application can actually do once the information gets into it, I am acually considering changing my tags (if I can find the files with multiple tags, but that is a separate issue). Before doing so, I wanted to test also the ability to import custom tags (unique ones), which also is important to me. I understand from your answer that the new field/tag in MC must have a name that corresponds exactly to the tag name in the file. I have managed to get it to work for "Organization", "ITUNESCOMPILATION" and "iTunes Compilation" but I cannot get it to work with the ID3v2.3 tag TORY in mp3 files. The information in that tag does not show up in MC. I have given the new field in MC the name "TORY" of data type String. Below is the tag information in the file (as displayed by MC). What am I doing wrong?

MPEG-1 Layer 3
256 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Stereo

Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Protected by CRC: No
Encoder: <unknown>
Gapless: No

ID3v1 Tag: none

ID3v2.3 Tag: (48289 bytes)
  TALB (Album): Tea & Symphony: The English Baroque Sound 1967-1974
  TPE1 (Artist): Vigrass
  COMM (Comment): Min musik
  TCON (Genre): Pop/Rock
  TCMP (iTunes Compilation): 1
  TORY: 1970
  TPUB (Publisher): Castle
  TIT2 (Name): Stop
  TRCK (Track #): 4
  TYER (Year): 2007
  TXXX (replaygain_album_p..): 1.056819
  TXXX (replaygain_track_g..): -5.83 dB
  TXXX (replaygain_track_p..): 1.015947
  TXXX (replaygain_album_g..): -7.45 dB
  TXXX (Album rating): 4.5
  TXXX (Style): Baroque Pop
  TXXX (Mood): Precious, Delicate, Dramatic, Innocent, Autumnal, Sophisticated, Literate, Refined/Mannered, Elegant
  TXXX (Theme): Sunday Afternoon, Rainy Day
  TXXX (Review): <too large to display>
  APIC (Image File) (Cover): <too large to display>

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:34:47 am »

MC14 has some changes for tags.  Search for user "Alex B" to read what he said.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 06:43:36 am »

I've just moved one of Alex's threads to the MC14 board.  It's here.

vagskal

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:20:56 am »

I've just moved one of Alex's threads to the MC14 board.  It's here.

Thanks. I have read that thread. It concerned ID3v.2.3 tags to be automatically recognised in the new version of MC, but the TORY tag was not one of the tags discussed.

To read that tag into MC should I name the new field in MC to TORY, or am I making some mistake? Or could it be that an ID3v.2.3 tag without a "real" name beside it in parenthesis (like "TCMP (iTunes Compilation)", which I succeeded to import) when displayed by MC, cannot be imported?

(I have read i.a. this thread on how to make new fields: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43221.0. An I have managed to import a couple of other fields/tags.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up