INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC wants to update my iPod to version 8.x  (Read 1357 times)

swinster

• World Citizen
MC wants to update my iPod to version 8.x
« on: August 25, 2009, 06:12:02 pm »

Hi All,

It a long time since i have synced the iPod Classic 160GB and I got the message that MC 14 wants to update the iPod to 8. something.

Last time I was here, it was expressly stipulated that iTunes version 8 should NOT be installed. Is this different from the iPod version 8 MC wants to update as above?

Should iTunes 8 be installed? Is there a way of updating iPod firmware without iTunes, or is this same as what MC is trying to do above?

Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC wants to update my iPod to version 8.x
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:12:57 pm »

Just let MC do what it wants to.  It's updating firmware.

Installing iTunes is not advised.  Eventually, Apple will probably lock us out.  They will do it by updating the firmware, and that is done with iTunes.

dengle

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:37:24 pm »

My 60GB iPod iPhoto has worked for a long time with Media Center.  I am on MC 13.0.172 at present.  Today, I tried to copy files from my Media Center library to my iPod using drag and drop.  The download worked (i.e. I was remote), but the status changed to Error before the upload step.  I assume that this is due to the iTunes 8 problems since I just checked my Laptop and find that iTunes 8 is installed.

I don't copy files to my iPod all that often and I only do it with a computer that pretty much is used for media access when I travel.  As a result, I don't remember when I did it, but it appears that I've upgraded to iTunes 8 before I knew it was bad to do so (i.e. I learned that about 15 min. ago.)  The version of iTunes that I have on this machine is 8.1.1.10.  Since I haven't been attending to this for some time, I have no idea when I downloaded it... it probably popped up and I absentmindedly said Ok.

Is there anything that I can do now to fix my iPod so it will work with Media Center?  I've looked around the forum with the search utility and didn't find anything about what to do if you've already done the bad deed before you knew it was bad.  I hate iTunes and wish I didn't even have to have it loaded.

If you could give me a recipe (or point me to the thread that has one) as to what to do to restore my iPod functionality I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dale
Tampa

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 03:56:30 pm »

Just let MC do what it wants to.  It's updating firmware.

Installing iTunes is not advised.  Eventually, Apple will probably lock us out.  They will do it by updating the firmware, and that is done with iTunes.

I'm a little confused here. The first line you say that MC will update the iPod firmware. Then you say that iTunes will update the firmware....

Do you mean that eventually Apple may release a firmware upgrade that will be installed (either through MC OR iTunes) that will brake the ability for MC to update further, meaning that any future iPod firmware upgrade will only be avliable through iTunes??

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:00:06 pm »

If MC does it, you can be certain it's OK.

If iTunes does it, you might be OK, but it isn't certain.  So to be safe, do not install iTunes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up