INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Remote available now -- $41  (Read 121778 times)

jonkjon

• Recent member
Re: Media Center Remote available now -- $41
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2010, 05:11:36 pm »

Thanks for the fast reply. Checked the P.O. today but not there yet. :(
But it's on it's way, and that makes me very happy!  ;D

jonkjon

• Recent member
« Reply #201 on: December 06, 2010, 09:40:39 pm »

Got my mce remote today! ;D

Used it out of the box to control theater view and it worked like a champ..... Now to find a way to interface it with Girder and I'm all set....you know if this will trigger a usb-uirt with Girder?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2010, 07:31:42 am »

Got my mce remote today! ;D

Used it out of the box to control theater view and it worked like a champ..... Now to find a way to interface it with Girder and I'm all set....you know if this will trigger a usb-uirt with Girder?
Girder should see the IR signals.

jonkjon

• Recent member
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2010, 06:45:55 pm »

Girder should see the IR signals.

Thanks Jim.....Do you mean Girder should see the IR from the default receiver or it should see them from the uirt?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »

Do you mean Girder should see the IR from the default receiver or it should see them from the uirt?
Whatever Girder supports.  In this case, the UIRT.  Probably.  It would not be surprising if Girder received from both.  It's really a Girder question:  What happens if two IR receivers are plugged in simultaneously?

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2011, 11:17:07 pm »

I have a question about the top left button on the MC remote. Does this launch the "Play Radio" function, or does it just create shuffled mix from the library?

GarageMahal

« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:45 am »

I received my remote this weekend and am having some problems...

First, I had to try several USB ports to find one the MC software recognized.  The remote worked and drivers installed on the first port but MC said no remote installed.  Anyway this was resolved by switching ports on the PC.

Now that MC sees the remote I can start the programming process but it never learns any IR commands.  The other issue is that the range on the remote is terrible, about 4 feet.  Any suggestions?

Also, the remote I received does not look at all like the remote in the photos and uses a watch battery.  I'm not certain if the one pictured on the site uses standard (AA or AAA) batteries but I would greatly prefer one that does.

Thanks much,
jta

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2011, 10:46:01 am »

The remote should have a range a lot greater than four feet.  More like 15 to 18 feet unless there is some interferance.

GarageMahal

« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2011, 11:11:01 am »

The remote should have a range a lot greater than four feet.  More like 15 to 18 feet unless there is some interferance.

I have already gone through and disconnected/turned off everything that I could think of causing interference (IR repeater, wireless mouse, etc.).  Any ideas? 

Has anyone else had problems with the new style remote?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:07 am »

A television can sometimes cause problems.  Block it from view if possible.

altecboy

• Recent member
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2011, 11:19:05 am »

I got my new HP remote and installed it.  When I press mute, volume up or volume down, I get a pictograph of a speaker and the volume level bars move as they should.  Activating mute puts a line through the the speaker.  But no actual change in volume occurs.  I am using Musicstreamer ii+ .  I do note that the pause play and stop functions work.  When I hit Next on the remote setup page, it says that I don't appear to have a media center receiver connected.

A second issue is that the red light responds to my commands at a distance.  But the changes to the pictograph and the stop pause play functions do not work beyond six feet.

I'm stumped.

ohyeah

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2011, 04:11:25 pm »

A great article to tweak your remote
You can launch MC with a keyboard shortcut (CTRL SHIFT J or whatever you want), etc.

http://sojournal.tweakblogs.net/blog/4884/tweaking-the-mce-remote-in-windows.html

holmami

• Recent member
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2011, 08:58:16 pm »

I also got the "new HP remote" and its range is about 4-5 feet.  Alos the numbers/letters, everything is hard to read in lower lighting.  Do the older remote work better?  I want to replace if possible.  The most difficult is the range..........  Anyone else have suggestions/problems

GarageMahal

« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2011, 10:09:29 pm »

I tried the remote on a friends system tonight and had the same problem with range that I have at home.  It seems like a problem with the receiver as the remote controls my XBOX 360 with great range.  At this point I think I need to return it for exchange or refund.  How do I go about doing that?

Thanks
jta

holmami

• Recent member
« Reply #214 on: March 16, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »

Jim,

I just sent an email about getting a older unit or a fix for the new one.......

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #215 on: March 17, 2011, 07:03:42 am »

Did you try replacing the batteries?

Is there a light plastic sheet protecting the front of the remote or the receiver?

Hold onto your remote.  We will replace any that have problems.

holmami

• Recent member
« Reply #216 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »

Jim

No wrap or anything on remote or receiver....  I am also just using this as a direct remote, no amp, receiver, etc.  I have not tried replacing the battery as I have only used it ofr a couple of days.

holmami

• Recent member
« Reply #217 on: March 17, 2011, 01:22:23 pm »

Jim,

It has to be the  IR transceiver.  I just hooked up an old remote controller and the taped the old  IR emitter to the top of the IR transceiver away from all equipment and the old transceiver worked from at least 10 ft, where as the old work from about 4 ft.  So I would say its not the remote ( however I do not like the new HP one).  I would like my unit replaced (with the old one if possible), or a new IR tansceiver that works, or a refund.

Michael

holmami

• Recent member
« Reply #218 on: March 17, 2011, 02:19:05 pm »

Well upn futhter review, the fix made a foot or two difference.....it think my new HP one is a default...anyone else having these problems please post.....

altecboy

• Recent member
« Reply #219 on: March 18, 2011, 06:00:23 am »

Yes, aside from the problems that I listed above (it makes the pictograph work but does not affect the sound; stop and pause work) mine doesn't work beyond 4 or 5 feet either.  I replaced the battery; no change.

lesw

holmami

• Recent member
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2011, 08:15:27 pm »

I called and they sent me an "old" version of the remote and it works perfectly.  Call them and they will do the same.  And it is the the remote as I change nothing but the remote and that made the difference......  Call them to exchange....

Skitzo_Klipsch

« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2011, 01:06:19 am »

hi guys,

love j.river and I'm looking to purchase after the trial ends but i was wondering if i could purchase this remote first? I'm an international buyer.

P.S - do i have to order this remote or can i say go on ebay and get a newer black one as long as it has that same usb transceiver?

thanks guys.

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2011, 07:54:24 am »

Jim,

So this is odd. I use my USB tranceiver to control Windows Media Center 7 (exclusively) for TV. I play all my audio through MC15 using Gizmo to control it from outside. Everytime I hit the menu button on my remote in WMC7 it's maximizing MC15 and setting it to theater view...obviously causing a problem for anyone trying to watch TV.

I've gone into Options: Remote Control and it says that no remote is set up. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening? Thanks a ton.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #223 on: April 28, 2011, 10:45:22 am »

We're shipping remotes again.  Please order here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Remote

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #224 on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:46 am »

love j.river and I'm looking to purchase after the trial ends but i was wondering if i could purchase this remote first? I'm an international buyer.

P.S - do i have to order this remote or can i say go on ebay and get a newer black one as long as it has that same usb transceiver?
You can order our remote any time, whether you have MC or not.  It works with Microsoft Windows Media Center.

Other Media Center remotes may work.  They vary a lot in quality.   Ours will.

cybervinay

• Recent member
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2011, 10:22:23 am »

I am from India. I have placed order for the remote thru my friend in USA. He placed order few days back with shipping to USA address. Order placed on 5/5/2011. Email used to place order is vinayvictor  at yahoo. can you confirm the item was shipped and any tracking information.

He is coming to India this weekend (May 14th) and I am hoping the remote reaches him in time. Please check and revert ASAP

Thanks

Deanna

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:25 am »

The remote kit was shipped Monday 5/9 via Priority Mail.  Per the postal service, he should receive the package either Wednesday or Thursday 5/11 or 5/12.

cybervinay

• Recent member
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2011, 10:32:06 am »

The remote kit was shipped Monday 5/9 via Priority Mail.  Per the postal service, he should receive the package either Wednesday or Thursday 5/11 or 5/12.

Thanks for the quick response.

jwmcmann

• Recent member
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2011, 12:50:01 am »

Is there a way to purchase just the IR transceiver and not the remote?

Thanks,

Jim McMann

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2011, 07:02:45 am »

Yes.  Just email deanna at jriver for details.

barondla

• Recent member
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:12 pm »

At the moment I m using a HP wireless laser mouse. Clicking a side button allows me to magnify different parts of the monitor. I sit about 10 feet away from the 32" screen and often need magnification to navigate. Does the remote do this? If not, can it learn this command from the wirelss mouse? Would love a remote, but it would be uselee if I can't see the info. Would be nice if there was a large view offered in the program. Thanks barondla

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2011, 06:49:10 am »

Have you tried Theater View?  F11 or the View menu.

audioqueso

• Recent member
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2011, 08:32:47 pm »

I received my remote about two weeks ago.  I've been tweaking it left and right, and finally have it the way I want it.

MC16 was already installed on my Windows 7 64-bit system prior to receiving the remote.
Received the package.  Attached the USB IR receiver, and Windows found the drivers right away.  Started MC16, and added the remote via Options.  Remote worked right away.

To be honest, I did not even know about the "Learn Command" option until yesterday.
As soon as I installed the remote, I had installed EventGhost (great program) to customize my options further more.  (am I allowed to talk about another program here???).  The reason I wanted to use GhostEvent to dictate what my remote actions do is because I use external programs with MC16.  So when I open another file that opens another program via Theater View, to close it I need the Alt+F4 command.  I wanted to be able to perform all controls via the remote.

The remote has a very nice feel.  The buttons feel better than my Logitech Harmony.  It's not replacing my Harmony remote, but I just wanted to add that the buttons on the HP remote DO feel better.
In Theater View, everything works flawlessly.  Play, pause, etc, etc.  No problems. 

Range is great.  I am able to use the remote about 20~25 feet away at a 15~20 degree angle to the IR receiver.

I am not using the IR blaster, so I can not comment on that.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase. 

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2011, 02:45:56 pm »

I just purchased the Media Center Remote.  First of all, the battery cover snapped off, and is now being held on by a piece of tape.  This happened right away, before I even got a chance to try out the remote.  I had really been looking forward to getting this remote in the mail, and this really put a damper on that excitement.  I don't think I did anything unusual to it.  I just tried to slide the battery cover off to put the batteries in.  Now there is a small piece of plastic floating around inside the remote. 

Other than this, it seems to work pretty well.  The only problem is that I don't seem to have a lot of control over Netflix streaming.  I am using MC 15.0.174.  When streaming Netflix movies, I cannot use the remote to go to full screen mode.  Also, when not in full screen mode, I have the ability to pause playback, but as soon as I go to full screen, this functionality goes away.  It is the opposite for volume control.  In full screen mode, I can control the volume level, in non-full screen mode, no volume control.  Rewind/fast forward cannot be done at all.  Obviously, this is problematic.  I watch a lot of Netflix streaming, and this is close to a deal breaker for me.

Is it true that upgrading to MC16 will fix all of these issues?  If so, I will upgrade.   

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2011, 04:03:00 pm »

Netflix support is better in MC16.  You could try it for 30 days.

We'll replace the battery cover.  Could you send me a picture of the remote and the battery cover?  I'm jimh at jriver.  I'm sorry for the problem.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2011, 04:22:59 pm »

Thanks for your help Jim.  I appreciate it.  I will try the trial of MC16, and see how well it works with Netflix and the remote.  I have sent pics of the remote.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2011, 05:51:11 pm »

I upgraded to MC16.  It does, indeed, offer better Netflix functionality with the remote.  One thing I still cannot do is control the volume.  Unfortunately, the amplifier I am using is old, and doesn't have RC capability.  So, I was hoping there was some way to control the internal volume while streaming Netflix.  Should I be able to do this with the remote, or is this functionality not available?

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »

I've been messing around a lot with the remote.  I really love not being tethered to my computer desk when I'm listening to music.

I figured out a solution to my previous problem of how to control the volume when streaming netflix.  I created a remote command to open my sound card's (ASUS Xonar Essence) controls.  Once this is open, it becomes the "active" program, and the normal volume up/down controls control the sound card directly.  I placed a pause in the command, and after the pause, I placed a command simply to open Media Center.  This serves the function of making Media Center the active program again, so it responds to the remote as usual.  Works like a charm.

But now I'm having another problem.  I accidentally reverted to the default command list in options/remote/commands.  This deleted my TV Power command.  I have tried to have Media Center "relearn" the code for the TV Power, but I can't get it to work.  It just keeps telling me to "push the button repeatedly until the code is learned".  But I have sat there and pushed the power button on my TV remote over and over for more than 6-7 minutes, and there is no response.  This happens whether I am going through the wizard, or through the Commands list.  When I hit the power button on my TV remote, the red light on the IR receiver thingy lights up, so I guess it is registering.  But it won't "learn" it.  Can anyone help me with this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2011, 06:49:24 pm »

Try rebooting.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »

Thanks for responding Jim.  I tried rebooting without any luck.  I just tried it again.  Still won't work.  I really can't figure it out.  I tried uninstalling eHome, and having Windows reinstall it.  I had event ghost installed, but I uninstalled that.  I'm following the directions exactly.  Hmm.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2011, 07:21:48 pm »

Problem solved.  I have no clue how, but it's working.  Thanks for the help.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #241 on: June 24, 2011, 11:54:12 am »

For reasons that I won't go in to, I recently had to uninstall, and then reinstall MC 16.  This got rid of all of my programmed remote commands.  Now I am having a lot of trouble getting the program to "learn" the IR command for my TV Power.  I use the wizard, and it just says "learning".  I sit there and push the power button on my remote for a good 3-4 minutes, and nothing.  I had this problem before, but managed to get it to work one time.  I have no idea why it worked that one time.  I have tried rebooting, and reinstalling eHome.  No luck.  Any ideas?

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:25 am »

Anyone?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #243 on: June 26, 2011, 11:02:04 am »

You might be able to recover your old settings if you restore a backup (from File/Library).

You may need to turn on a remote receiver mode (Tools/Options/Remotes/Devices & Options).

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #244 on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:08 am »

I have Microsoft MCE, and Remote, Keyboard Gamepad or Other HID checked.  Do I maybe need to activate something else? 

I didn't think to look for the old settings.  I don't think I backed anything up before I uninstalled, but I will look.  Thanks for the response.

larichardson73

• Recent member
« Reply #245 on: June 26, 2011, 11:16:00 am »

Restoring from the backup worked.  Thanks so much Jim.  Very much appreciated.

Joe.Haase

• Recent member
« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:00 pm »

So I got my remote in the mail today... and all seemed well.... after a 10 min battle with the battery compartment, I got things ready to rock.... fired up MC and everything worked great...... with the exception of the 6 buttons along the top for Tv, Music, Videos, ect...

I see the IR receiver receive the command, but no dice after that... anyone have any ideas??

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2011, 07:59:42 pm »

Did you try updating MC?

Joe.Haase

• Recent member
« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2011, 08:03:26 pm »

Did you try updating MC?
I'm running 16.0.121

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #249 on: July 01, 2011, 08:14:08 pm »

MC has an option to disable Windows Media Center.  I think it's under Theater View options.  It would be worth a try.

I just tried the four buttons at the top and they work here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up