INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping JRiver MC14 settings synchronized between multiple machines?  (Read 6781 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I use one living room PC (macmini with win7) for entertainment and my PC to organize music and pictures. Music and library data are stored on an external hdd connected to mac mini.

I want to be able to change settings like view schemes, theater views, options, ... on my PC and synchronize these settings with the living room.

The best way to keep that settings synchronized would be to have all settings in one folder where my music is located. If it was possible to direct to that folder I could run library from everywhere with the same settings. This seems not possible now, as e.g. Theater view settings and options seem to be stored somewhere else (maybe registry).

Wouldn't it make sense to centrally store all that stuff and allow access to it from everywhere? In best case, it would be possible to access different configuration sets for multiple purposes (e.g. because of different screen sizes, tagging optimized views, ...)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Keeping JRiver MC14 settings synchronized between multiple machines?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:05:49 pm »

being i just upgraded to 14 and use multiple pc's im VERY interested in this feature as well, there are alot of settings\tweaks i have done on each version and it would be great to just goto say... file settings save and then on other pc's, file settings restore and it would restore all settings, dsp, all options, all views, all plugins. visualization settings, tweaked theater views, podcasts, feeds etc....

ty

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:25 pm »

VERY INTERESTED in this feature as well!!    :o

ropp

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:00:42 am »

Would love to have this as well !

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:16:28 am »

It's been asked for a lot in the past, especially when new major versions come along, I guess if we keep asking eventually it might happen :)

A way of saving and restoring settings between machines/versions would be a HUGE advantage over the current manual copying of registry entries!

Richard

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:31:42 am »

I'd love to see this too.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:08:17 am »

Same Here  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:25:32 am »

We know this would be a popular feature.

I would like user settings to be included with a library backup.  When restoring a library backup, it would ask if you wanted to restore the library, settings, or both.

For the v13 to v14 switch, you'll have to use the registry dump trick, but hopefully we'll be able to add this feature during v14 development.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:26:16 am »

I'd like to see something like this too, but you would want to be able to save different configurations for client and server instances of MC, and for those where TheaterView was used. I suppose teh ability to export all non-library stored settings to a file and then import it would work.

Even better if MC could be run with the settings file as a parameter that would cause it to import the new settings on startup. This would allow newly saved settings to be disseminated to clients automatically when they ran.

rjm

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 12:25:11 pm »

For the v13 to v14 switch, you'll have to use the registry dump trick, but hopefully we'll be able to add this feature during v14 development.
excellent!!

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 01:35:24 pm »

I would like user settings to be included with a library backup.  When restoring a library backup, it would ask if you wanted to restore the library, settings, or both.

Would really be great - especially if you don't focus on realease changes but facilitating to use the same settings on different systems.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 02:04:11 pm »

great news!

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 02:11:36 pm »

Registry path for copying is......?
thx in advance

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 07:59:05 pm »

...but hopefully we'll be able to add this feature during v14 development.

Thank-you-thank-you!!  :)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 03:16:22 am »

thx in advance

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\

Choose the version which should be the source version (eg. the subkey "Media Center 13") and select "File -> Export". Regedit creates a *.reg file which can be opend via notepad. If you installed the destination version of MC to a different folder you have to manually change all the folder informations in the regfile to the new path. Anyway you have to update the path to the userdata of MC (C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center xx\).

dcwebman

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 02:53:22 pm »

I have seen some programs recently give the option to store settings in the registry or an INI file again. I think people are tired of trying to dig things out of the registry so it's nice to hear that MC might be doing the same.
Jeff

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 09:40:30 am »

Just like to add my support for this.

pbair

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 10:15:19 am »

I'd like to see this too.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 10:18:40 am »

ive already commented here.. but being windows 7 is out and just waiting for it to hit the doorsteps.. i'm not at all excited about having to reinstall jriver on all my machines, and get all settings tweaked again, theater view settings, plugin settings,  etc..

I'd really love to see this feature!

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:46 am »

me 2

Ross

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 02:44:45 pm »

As many users currently plan to ugrapde to windows 7 this feature becomes in a way urgent.

Can JRiver make a statement about an approximate implementation date? This could help to decide whether to wait for an upgrade or not.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 03:08:24 pm »

I've been begging for this...BUT...would like a more advanced server-client architecture to be put in place.  I want the media files to be consistent as well as settings with the ability to tag files and have the other systems update.  Picture house-wide media systems.  You really need all queries running through the server for the most up to date setup.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 04:13:43 pm »

As many users currently plan to ugrapde to windows 7 this feature becomes in a way urgent.

Can JRiver make a statement about an approximate implementation date? This could help to decide whether to wait for an upgrade or not.
Keeping your data and your settings in sync among multiple machines isn't easily done -- by you or by JRiver.  Don't expect any changes here soon.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 11:24:24 pm »

Hi Jim.. being i've just started using theaterview, and am planning on buying a HTPC... what are you and everyone else doing.. to keep track of your hometheater settings?  just notepad\Screen capture them all, and when i buy new htpc... look at my notepad or screen captures?
Any tips would be appreciated.. cause i've tweaked theaterview, quite a bit and added many own personal sites, and changed many of the views, categories, root items etc... to my liking.

Thanks

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 01:57:31 pm »

Keeping your data and your settings in sync among multiple machines isn't easily done -- by you or by JRiver.  Don't expect any changes here soon.

Tweaking and digging through the registry I found a that MC stores a lot variable user data in the registry, i.e. urls of radio streams. All that variable data doesn’t belong to the registry, it is simply not the intention of the registry. But store it in a proper .ini file located in the same folder as the application, preferable as readable ascii text. Links to local files can be stored in a different .ini file.

So the solution is simple: Store user data in recognisable files to start with, located at the same folder as de application.

benn600

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 03:11:39 pm »

How about on the settings pane have the ability to read a text file or export settings to a text file.  Then have a checkbox to periodically check this text file for changed settings.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 03:15:01 pm »

Ben, PJtor.. what are u guys doing now for your tweaked theater views? suggestions please.. would hate to have to spend hours trying to remmeber how i had it.

TY

benn600

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 08:01:19 pm »

Right now, I have a very carefully configured set of MC settings that I uphold very strictly.  To load them, I simply run a registry file I have created.  It sets everything in MC up except for auto import.  I can't remember if I tried getting auto import to set up as well but I definitely know the file I use now doesn't add any auto import folders.

The biggest problem I am experiencing right now is having a single MC library database.  This is a big requirement as far as I'm concerned (BUT) because it allows me to alter theater view / view schemes once.  The problem is that I then have to restart MC.  Also, read only mode is automatically enabled because only one system can have full write privileges.  This disables tagging abilities, which are very handy from theater view.

I've recently started revamping my HTPC systems and this is sparking a renewed interest.  I'm still trying to develop an ideal solution.  Nothing allows for everything at the moment.

Take bookmarks (remembers where you left off on DVD).  I wish this would get stored in a global database and then when someone started a movie, they would get an option to start from the beginning or start where X computer left off.  So you could start where the kitchen TV left off...or the theater.  Each system should store this value separately but all systems should be able to read these.  Each system would be able to edit their and only their own.

Don't get me started on the MC menu "Continue this content elsewhere" option.  Then select another system (Kitchen to Theater).  Theater would then get a popup asking permission to start content (transparent overlay over playing content / just plain menu if no content playing)...oh the possibilities!

MrHaugen

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 02:05:32 am »

I'm SO for this suggestion, and as some said: it's been asked for a lot. Recent builds indicate that this is a work in progress. I'll just throw a few thought.

A way to take a backup of all settings would be a huge step, but as other have mentioned; a way of syncing the settings from a server might be a better way to go.

The differences in a huge setup of multiple MC machines is often divided between servers and clients only. You could pretty much set up one client with the same settings to serve most, if not every, need. The server could be a standalone thing with a regular local settings backup as well as a settings backup for the client part, and the client settings could be synced between each other, through the server. That would be awesome and would be much more automated than restoring backups all around the house.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 05:17:08 am »

The biggest problem I am experiencing right now is having a single MC library database.

I have given up this. Now al my media files (mostly music) are neatly stored on a central NAS with the cover art stored in the album folder as Folder.jpg. Al Connected PC’s build their own data base identical that way. Still leaves synchronising MC on multiple PC’s with the same set up/layout as an issue wished solved by many, including myself. But whatever shared file is opened by multiple applications, it can only be opened by one app for writing. That holds for any application.

Nevertheless I would be happy if there is/are simple .ini file(s) I can copy over from one machine to another. Usually I only maintain my media from my main desktop PC.

benn600

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:41 am »

MC boxes should be sold assuming the user has a "server" MC setup.  This would go a lot beyond existing server abilities.  A user should be able to buy a MC computer and upon plugging it in and starting, be welcomed by MC theater view and a popup asking the user to select their desired Media Center Server--which it auto found just one, so not much to think about.

I just think at the moment, each new MC is a hours of work!  This is how it is for me.  And I do find the time.  But for larger adoption, it needs to be more automatic and solid.  The server should be highly active, keeping a good connection with clients and updating them of changes to the database so everyone is in sync all the time.  Once this infrastructure was in place, I think the team and everyone here could dream up a million new possibilities.

Why not let each machine talk to one another?  I still am hoping for a menu option while playing video:

"Continue this content elsewhere" > "Select another location: Kitchen, Theater, Great Room"

"Synchronize playback elsewhere" > "Select another location: Kitchen, Theater, Great Room, All Locations"

The weather configuration, news, etc. all should be set by the server.  I truly think a new server front end should be included which does not allow the user to play content but is intended only for managing content and forcing settings on connected users.

Each file (with global setting) should give the option to proxy files through the server or try accessing the files directly (network accessible).

latebeat

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 09:14:19 am »

Just want to add my support too. Such a feature would be sooo much appreciated!

benn600

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 01:02:22 pm »

I think this type of totally revised client-server model is critical to major adoption.  A standalone MC box should start up with theater view and display a list of found "Advanced/Managed Servers."  Once linked to the server, all settings, media, etc. will be explicitly set by the server.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 03:15:25 pm »

Perhaps in a not too distant future storing at least my settings in the j.river cloud?

benn600

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 11:17:12 am »

No!!! I hate cloud stuff.

Hey, anyone know if there is a big package that can be licensed?  Could I license the dot Mac system to install and host myself?  Now that would be neat.  I like hosting things myself whenever possible.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 01:12:14 pm »

is this the path we goto for our theaterview settings and views? I need to transfer them to diffrent pc.

thx in advance

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\

Choose the version which should be the source version (eg. the subkey "Media Center 13") and select "File -> Export". Regedit creates a *.reg file which can be opend via notepad. If you installed the destination version of MC to a different folder you have to manually change all the folder informations in the regfile to the new path. Anyway you have to update the path to the userdata of MC (C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center xx\).

benn600

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 04:40:06 pm »

Think of converting MC to run like a network domain.  Have clients connect and be forced to certain settings while others are set as configurable by end users.  The file database would be shared between all users and any queries might just be ran on the server to get the most up to date information every time.

Oh what a MC world that would be!

Package the server component separately and charge $129 for it.

MusicHawk

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 05:09:11 pm »

My solution (detailed in other posts) is to not use MC server, but to copy all needed files to each PC.

My "master" MC PC is where I rip, update tags, etc -- do all my "writing".

All other MC PCs are "slaves", which only play the library.

I keep the master and slaves sychronized via a nightly backup program, which copies all needed MC files from the master to slaves. It has been taught where to find the various needed files. (Made a bit simpler by putting as many MC elements as MC lets me control into the same folder as the actual music library.) Of course, the backup only copies changed files so usually it's quite quick.

Because the backup process happens in the middle of the night, it is transparent to users. I don't need to restart MC slaves because they are set to auto-import from the library folder they are already set to use, which seems to reliably cause MC to recognize whatever changes happened overnight.

Beyond "it works", I get two more benefits: security and performance. I always have backups of my large library in multiple places, which lets me sleep better. And there's no load on my network while using any of the MC PC slaves to listen to music, watch video, or whatever.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2010, 05:13:32 pm »

does your solution save theaterview settings\ items to show? so that they can be transfered to other pc's... im looking on how to transfer my theaterview views.. ty

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2010, 06:39:08 pm »

I get two more benefits: security and performance. I always have backups of my large library in multiple places, which lets me sleep better. And there's no load on my network while using any of the MC PC slaves to listen to music, watch video, or whatever.
If your originals get damaged, you'll have multiple damaged copies.

benn600

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 06:41:43 pm »

If your originals get damaged, you'll have multiple damaged copies.

Definitely!  This is one reason for keeping several backups but not updating them all at once.  Let some get out of date to some extent.  I also rely on Shadow Copy a bit in this case because I can go back in time about a month to restore damaged files if they manifest.

MusicHawk

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 07:06:47 pm »

>> If your originals get damaged, you'll have multiple damaged copies.

Yes.... but the slave PCs are not "the backup"; that's simply a  by-product. I also make daily backups from my main MC machine onto external drives (3 of them) using a different backup mode that does not overwrite prior versions, for exactly the reason you cite. Meanwhile, the master-slave system gives me a workable way to run "identical" MC setup on multiple PCs.

Re the Theater View question, I don't use it so haven't checked on whether it gets copied.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

benn600

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 12:20:01 am »

Primary-Secondary

paronsoda

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

I just want to add my support and interest for this feature.

I prefer to do all the import of new files, tags, new playlist and new settings on my standalone PC. But on my HTPC I just want to watch or listen to all of my media. Not start tweaking over again.

I know I can use the Regedit to save some time but its still a hassle to export and import, and it don’t include all of the settings like Playlist.

I wish it would be possible to point all of MC settings to a server where all others computers would load the settings when starting MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up