INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library on NAS  (Read 4634 times)

ajocius

• Recent member
Library on NAS
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:58:37 am »

Hello, I keep my library (music files and library files) on NAS. NAS has it's benefits, however it is limited to LAN Speed. Obviously this is more than enough to listen to music even on multiple zones. However if I move library files (not acrual music files) to internal HDD (have IDe drive connected now and hopefully can make SATA 1 HDD work, currently have drivers issue with it), can I expect improved response time to show playlists, search music, using library Server, etc? If so, would potentially using SSD disk for library further increase speed?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library on NAS
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:02:04 am »

Hello, I keep my library (music files and library files) on NAS. NAS has it's benefits, however it is limited to LAN Speed. Obviously this is more than enough to listen to music even on multiple zones. However if I move library files (not acrual music files) to internal HDD (have IDe drive connected now and hopefully can make SATA 1 HDD work, currently have drivers issue with it), can I expect improved response time to show playlists, search music, using library Server, etc? If so, would potentially using SSD disk for library further increase speed?
A local library would be better.  But if you plan to spend money, you might try MC14.  It should be faster once it has finished importing and thumbnailing.

ajocius

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 10:32:10 am »

I would consider getting MC14 if the speed is faster. Currently use MC12. Would that be time consuming job to move everything to MC14? Would it then be unimportant to move library to internal HDD instead of having it on NAS? Or would it be best to have both?

nodyad

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:13:33 pm »

Bumping this user's question since I have similar questions about NAS.  My library is currently on a MSI Wind nettop, which I'm using as my JRMC14 server due to low always-on cost. The interface is a bit slow already, so I want to relocate the media onto a Promise NAS (with DNLA capabilities) since it has RAID redundancy. So the same questions apply: How do I relocate media without greatly disturbing the metadata, and are there optimal considerations for the use of a NAS for the files managed by JRMC14 on the nettop media server?
--
Don Day

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 02:50:00 pm »

You can put files on a NAS drive and import them in MC.  It might not make things faster though.

See the DLNA thread on the MC14 board for more information on sharing via DLNA.

nodyad

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:56:04 am »

Thanks, Jim. I'll review!
--
Don Day
Pages: [1]   Go Up