INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importable Document Types  (Read 3753 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Importable Document Types
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:34:09 pm »

Are we locked to what is in the Import dialog, or is there a way to add document types to import?

Personally I'd like to be able to import any "non-media" file types as "documents", as I am finding MC to be (for most cases) a much better file browser than Windows Explorer. Currently though, we can't even import (at least by default) MS Office 2007+ documents (such as .docx or .xlsx). It'd be nice if the file set could be expanded (or if I knew how to, if it can be done now).

Thanks,
JB

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importable Document Types
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:40:48 am »

one thing you could do:
in your mc installation you fin a folder called default resources, in this folder you find a file called FileAssociations.
now start with making a new folder beside the default recource folder called 'Custom Resources'  ;) and copy the FileAssociations file into that folder. this is important because the custom resource folder is not overwritten with a new instal, and mc first looks if the custom recource folder excists.
now open the fileassociation file with notepad. at the top you find something that starts with <data> you find office docs there and you can add file types. or even categories.
after saving the changes, close mc for the types to show in the options, go to the options to make shure they are there and enabled.

now i have a question: i added a datatype called biab files. one thing i could not find is how to use a wildcard. biab files use mg1, mg2, mgu etc, so i tried mg* and mg?, both did not work.

:)
gab

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:18:21 am »

now i have a question: i added a datatype called biab files. one thing i could not find is how to use a wildcard. biab files use mg1, mg2, mgu etc, so i tried mg* and mg?, both did not work.

gab
I wonder if wildcards would work in the registry, I doubt it, but might be worth a try?

I'm not sure that adding a file association will add that file type to the auto import list of importable file types, does it?

If not, and if you're not afraid of the registry (meaning that if you're even the teeniest bit unsure, just don't go there) then the following hack should work for any filetype you care to add, not just zip files....
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39147.msg266295#msg266295

-marko

gappie

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:29:48 am »

I'm not sure that adding a file association will add that file type to the auto import list of importable file types, does it?

If not, and if you're not afraid of the registry (meaning that if you're even the teeniest bit unsure, just don't go there) then the following hack should work for any filetype you care to add, not just zip files....
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39147.msg266295#msg266295

-marko
yes, it shows up and works great. see attachment:

and ofcourse thanks for the edit.. ill change. must have been to early..  8)

gab

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 03:34:10 am »

Excellent. Much tidier than a registry hack.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 12:08:07 pm »

What timing. After searching and searching for a Windows Explorer alternate, and not finding anything I liked, thought I'd give MC a try for documents. And of course, my first issue was that it did not import all my sketchup files. Found this thread in a search, modified the xml and it worked like a charm (although one step was missing--I had to modify my Auto Import settings to include the new filetype).

Is there any way to get the sketchup thumbnails to display in MC14? They display in Windows Explorer, so it's not like they are exclusive to sketchup or anything. 
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 12:46:24 pm »

Hi Lise,
You might be able to use MC's File types options to tell it to "play" the files with IE.

Jim

gappie

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 04:34:33 pm »

(although one step was missing--I had to modify my Auto Import settings to include the new filetype).

actually that was what i mend when i said "go to the options to make shure they are there and enabled ". but it is not always that you have to enable, maybe it depends on if it is a new category. have not test it for all the ins and outs, just used it for a few weeks this way now.

dont know about the thumbnails. when it are not so much and it are images you are talking about, you can hang thumbs to the files just like you might do with music etc.. but i guess that that is not a real solution..

also i is a good idea to backup the 'custom resources' folder for when you uninstall and reinstall it.

gab

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 04:46:03 pm »

Hi Lise,
You might be able to use MC's File types options to tell it to "play" the files with IE.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Hmm. If I did that, though, wouldn't I lose the ability to click on a file and have it open in sketchup?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 02:38:47 pm »

Thanks guys, for the help. The Custom Resources folder definitely does the trick. I still can't do a non-media-file=data-file rule, but I can indeed get everything imported with a little bit of work on my part now.
Thanks again,
JB

gappie

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 06:49:18 am »

a bump for this question..somebody knows a wildcard? i try to use mc to organize my studio files, and it does it very well, but i also have a bunch of .u01 u02 etc where the number depends on the amount of tracks belongeing to a song. now adding 99 different types to the custom recources for one file type is a bit of overdone, isnt it?

so i hope there is a wildcard, or maybe one could be introduced, please.

gab

gappie

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:05:41 pm »

i tried ?, %, _, *, and none works, but i also got the impression that some of those are 'illegal' and using them will make that the custom recources are ommited totally. could be wrong there, did some small tests though.

i think, when mc is also ment for documents managment, this department could use some flexability, like an option to import everything visible in the folders selected in autoimport.  8)
or the option to use wildcards.

gab

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 07:07:22 pm »

Document Management? Why stop there why not MC OS? :)

Seriously though I do agree with you. I started with MC to organize my audio files, now I have it doing everything but washing dishes. It really excels at organizing things, not just media.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 09:57:13 am »

a bump for this question..somebody knows a wildcard? i try to use mc to organize my studio files, and it does it very well, but i also have a bunch of .u01 u02 etc where the number depends on the amount of tracks belongeing to a song. now adding 99 different types to the custom recources for one file type is a bit of overdone, isnt it?

Sorry, but wildcards aren't currently supported.

This would be an involved change due to how system file associations work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:39 am »

Sorry, but wildcards aren't currently supported.

This would be an involved change due to how system file associations work.
ok. thanks for clearing that up. well, maybe somewhere in the future. ill edit the custom resources then. actually nice that that is doable. and drag other folders just in, because then it will import everything whats inthere.

thanks
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up