INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: writing tags into WAV files  (Read 15914 times)

ccr

• Recent member
writing tags into WAV files
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:29:03 pm »

Hi,

How do you actually write tags into WAV files with the new plugin?  

I used the "Update Tags (from Library)" menu item. Then I used Windows Media Player and MediaMonkey to look into the .wav files, but didn't see any tags got added / updated.   I've already enabled "Write tags to WAVE files" in the plugin configuration dialog box.

Am I missing something?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: writing tags into WAV files
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:55:20 pm »

I don't think you are missing anything - WMP is (it does not support wave tagging). Probably your other program has the same problem.

Here is what I wrote a couple of weeks ago:

From: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54540.msg371180#msg371180
Re: Media Center 14.0.88 -- Available Here
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 04:22:51 am »   

"NEW: ID3v2 tagging in WAVE and AIFF files."

I have helped JRiver and tested this feature in several ways. It seems to work pretty well now. Outside MC there are not many programs or devices that can access tags in WAVE or AIFF files, but at least the tags should be compatible with dBpoweramp (WAVE and AIFF), Tag&Rename (WAVE) and iTunes (AIFF).

WAVE and AIFF tagging is disabled by default. You can enable it in Tools > Plug-in Manager > Input > WAV plugin > Configure...

Since there are no universally accepted standard for storing tags in WAVE files I recommend checking compatibility with your programs and player devices before tagging lots of files.

AIFF tagging should be compatible with iTunes and thus it can be said to follow Apple's standard.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ccr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:40:34 am »

Thanks for the clarification.  I was also trying to see if MediaMonkey could read the tags saved by MC14.  Now I understand that MediaMoneky must've used a different format.  (Windows Media Player reads tags written by MediaMonkey.)

Interestingly though, if I clear a field in MC14 and do "Update Library (from Tags)", the value returned to MC14 would be from MediaMonkey's write and not from ID3v2 tags written by MC14.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:26:31 am »

Hi there....

Sorry to jump onto an old thread, I came from my new thread here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64765.0

So with version 16.0.111:

1) Follow :

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WAV_%26_AIFF_Tagging

...and editing a tag (artist and title) for a WAV file the values persist for JR Media.

However if I go to the file in Windows Explorer, right click, properties, Details... No changes are made (which is what Windows Media Picks up).

Are you saying that the metadata that Windows 7 explorer picks up for wav is not supported? :(

Thanks... :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:37:50 am »

WMP and Windows Explorer probably don't read WAV tags.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:23 am »

MC writes tags into an ID3 chunk in the file.  Windows probably does not recognize it.  That is what we mean by "may not be compatible with all players".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:13 pm »

If I rip WAV from Windows Media Player the meta data is updated inside the file which can also be accessed from Windows explorer/Windows 7 (right click file/properties). If J River can make this meta data editable, or even better put itself into a mode whereby the metadata could be updated on the fly (which Media Player only seems to do half the time, and NB this is nothing to do with metadata being supplied) that will be helpful when it comes down to cross compatibility with other media apps. For those worried about standards (nb I believe WAV was invented by MS BTW) then you could have the ability to switch this behaviour on and off.

NB the way Windows Media player handles this stinks, WAV files seem to be updated only half the time (often whole albums may disappear!). If JR could handle this better than MS, it will show them up, and possibly move MS customers over to Media Centre who need a better way to manage WAV.

I'm extensively using Windows Media Centre/WAV's and I need a utility that is cross compatible, Microsoft doesn't care about WAV's it seems, will JR step up to the plate?

Cheers

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up