INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Favorites tied to database or program?  (Read 1039 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Are Favorites tied to database or program?
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:14:54 pm »

Are the favorites saved with the library? If not, could they be in a future version? And if so, then there is a bug.

I have a Docs library and another for everything else.
I also tend to have both open at the same time. But since there is a bug with opening two databases at the same time using the shortcuts to C:\Windows\System32\MC14.exe, I open one, then I use the "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 14\Media Center 14.exe" shortcut to open another instance. This opens the currently open library in read-only, and I select my other library.  Perhaps this is what is causing the confusion with my Favorites?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Are Favorites tied to database or program?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:46:34 am »

They're saved at: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 14\Properties" under a key called "Tree Favourites", so, I would guess they're tied to the program, not the library.

Four years ago now, I asked for the favourites feature to get a little polish... [Link]

and with each year that passes, I feel the need becomes greater.

Some things that I think should happen:

• Favourites should be library specific.
  • Favourites should be better bound to their respective tree locations. What I mean here is, that if, after adding a location to Favourites, we later edit it's name in the tree, or even remove it completely, these changes should be automatically transferred to the Favourites list so that the links there do not become redundant.
  • We should be able to add groups to the list that would then contain a second-level list that would show when a group is hovered over.
  • The organisation side of things needs an overhaul too. Currently, we cannot edit the location info, and the move item up/down buttons are more than tedious with the list scrolling to the top with each press of the button, leaving the user to guess where abouts in the list the item currently is, or keep scrolling to the bottom to count how many more button presses are required to get the item into the desired position.

The navigational favourites feature is so useful, but so, so, neglected. It really would be great to see it get a little love in the near future. :)

-marko.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:52:07 am »

The navigational favourites feature is so useful, but so, so, neglected. It really would be great to see it get a little love in the near future. :)
-marko.
+1 and Amen

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:36:52 am »

Thanks Marko. I appreciate the info, and I agree; favorites deserve a makeover.

I noticed that you couldn't add something to favorites unless it was viewable in the tree. So changed my view schemes to 'support tree browsing', added the ones I wanted to favorites, then removed 'tree browsing' in the schemes, thinking tree browsing was only required to ADD to favorites.  All that work only to find that no, tree browsing is required at all times. Darn.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up