INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where we go next with MC15  (Read 4547 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Where we go next with MC15
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:13:48 pm »

I just bumped an old thread from May, 2009 when we began MC14 development.

I'd like to open discussion on the big directions (not features) that MC15 development should follow.  When we began to think about putting out an MC15 development, Matt started a thread saying so, and then someone asked what would be in MC15.  Here were the two responses from Matt and myself.

Matt's list:
1.  To improve the ability to remote control the program with a web browser.

2.  To improve support for movie collections on a harddrive.

3.  To improve support for audio signal processing for powering a home theater.

4.  To make things take fewer clicks and happen faster.

JimH's list:
5.  Ability to restore user settings from a library backup

6.  Cover View (no controls visible unless the mouse is moved)

7.  Expanded Library Sync

8.  Cloud storage of media, with browser access

9.  More work on Notes, possible expansion to phones

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Where we go next with MC15
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »

#1, 3, & 6 are well under way in MC15.  #2 is also begun.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:59:45 pm »

4 appeals to me.
Compared with WMP12/iTunes MC is feature rich and very important to me, almost everything is configurable.
At the same time some things are not as ‘intuitive’ as possible.
An example: if a DLNA device is discovered, you won’t notice it, it is hidden in the File > library > menu
If it would pop-up in the navigation pane, it would save a couple of clicks and makes the app more self explaining.
Updating is another, if I change e.g. the name of a composer in the tag panel and I have the same composer in view in the navigation pane, I have to close and open the tree to refresh.

Also on its way is DLNA. I expect flawless DLNA support will become a very crucial feature for any piece of AV gear.

MusicHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:16:29 pm »

#4, fewer clicks, would be welcome -- meaning, more key data and actions things closer to the surface.

One way to do this is to make key dialogs movable/dockable, so the user could arrange multiple actions/areas of MC to be viewable at the same time. And non-modal, so the user doesn't have to close one action to engage another. Allowing customizable direct access, as an alternative to nested menu navigation or hot keys, would lead to fewer clicks, and to the ability to work faster, and maybe be another "can't get this anywhere else" benefit. Image editing software is an example of this kind of UI.

This level of UI customization also would let MC be adaptable to the wide (and getting wider) range of users and therefore interesting uses, which might lead to more "big directions".

A key to customization is the ability to (minimum) have MC remember the position of everything between sessions, and (maximum) to have multiple custom screen layouts, same idea as views, zones, etc, since a screen/UI layout for library management would be different than for playing, audio different from video, etc.

For instance, when I'm in a heavy rip/tag session, I'd like to open and position a much larger tag window so I could see and click more tags at once. Next to it, a multi-line view of the library to again see most/all tags, but for multiple adjacent tracks as determined by the user (sortable, custom fields, etc), along with a look at the cover art -- everything at my fingertips, viewable all at once. But only for library management, so there would need to be other UIs for other purposes.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 07:11:41 pm »

9.  More work on Notes, possible expansion to phones

I still believe a lot of potential is being wasted by viewing Notes only as a means of tracking things like contacts (which, ironically, has nothing to do with media). I don't understand why this feature has not been implemented as a means for recording information about media and linked to relevant media records. Notes about artists, photo albums, movie actors—whatever the user might want to record. Such notes could be displayed for any selected file in a separate window or a synchronized split view. It seems useful, versatile, feasible, easy to implement—probably without even having to mention the r-word. ;)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:39:54 am »

Making physical file organization (MC as windows explorer replacement + playlist management) as easy as browsing view schemes.

See below for a more specific proposal:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56724.0

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 01:44:17 am »

More native support for URL storing and management. I use MC as a internet bookmarks replacement and I am quite happy. However, for mainstream users, it is not clear how to do that  and a little more support is needed. As online media is increasing in popularity this topic is becoming more relevant.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 01:48:05 am »

4.  To make things take fewer clicks and happen faster.

I seem to spend a lot of clicks on browsing through 100+ tags while creating view schemes. Some menus are better than the others. I.e. Rule wizard allows jumping to the right tag by typing.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:32:06 am »

I still believe a lot of potential is being wasted by viewing Notes only as a means of tracking things like contacts (which, ironically, has nothing to do with media). I don't understand why this feature has not been implemented as a means for recording information about media and linked to relevant media records. Notes about artists, photo albums, movie actors—whatever the user might want to record. Such notes could be displayed for any selected file in a separate window or a synchronized split view. It seems useful, versatile, feasible, easy to implement—probably without even having to mention the r-word. ;)

Bingo. This could also solve all problems regarding series and meta data for Seasons/Episodes as well as multi part movies. This might also help you with this one: "2.  To improve support for movie collections on a harddrive."
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

flac.rules

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 03:39:51 am »

I agree with 1-5 and /, all important points, although the webintercafe is not the smoothest of interfaces, maybe support for using other quipment as a remote in a more "streamlined" way? (Iphoone/Android?).

As a general direction, I find improving the theatre-view the most important thing, MC lags behind when it comes to two things comparing to meadia center front ends. 1. Getting meatadata, covers and so on from online sources in an automated way 2. Having a nice eye-candy interface with a few good skins. Look at XBMC, Meedios and so on for inspiration.  As I have mentioned before, this is the only obstacle between mee using MC as the sole media-handling program on my HTPC. and I think I am not the only one.

I would also like to add a bit more playlist-friendly handling, i feel playlists-handling and playing is not as smooth as it could be at the moment.

gappie

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 03:55:24 am »

i would like it if mc would also include better (media) file management. what i mean is, mc now organizes all kind of files inside the program very well. but for organizing the files on the disc the copy utility is not enough. for me, for instances, i have a lot of files, media files and files belonging to media files, that are not handled by mc (and im not expecting from mc to handle them), but i would like to move, copy organize those files using mc. i could use an file organizer from some kind of brand, but that would kill the links inside mc.

one idea would be to give the my computer part more utilities, and maybe even have the option to add parts of the file structure to views, with the possibility to copy or move files on the hard disk.

and also integrate notes into that.

:)
gab

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:43:43 pm »

I am not sure if this should be classified as a "Direction" or a "Feature" ?  :-\

How about Macro /scripting , yes I know it's been mentioned before.. but it would allow for so many time consuming processes to be one click of a button.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:49:10 pm »

i would like it if mc would also include better (media) file management. what i mean is, mc now organizes all kind of files inside the program very well. but for organizing the files on the disc the copy utility is not enough. for me, for instances, i have a lot of files, media files and files belonging to media files, that are not handled by mc (and im not expecting from mc to handle them), but i would like to move, copy organize those files using mc. i could use an file organizer from some kind of brand, but that would kill the links inside mc.

one idea would be to give the my computer part more utilities, and maybe even have the option to add parts of the file structure to views, with the possibility to copy or move files on the hard disk.

and also integrate notes into that.

:)
gab
I think   you're talking about the same thing as me here ... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56698.msg385445#msg385445

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 12:54:08 am »

> 1.  To improve the ability to remote control the program with a web browser.

Being able to fully control MC on a headless server PC from another PC is at the top of my wish list.  I'd like to be able to do anything from the controller PC that I could from a keyboard attached to the server PC.  The JR DLNA renderer device looked very interesting for this use.

Netremote doesn't provide full function yet.  I can't see how to use the tags I want in the sequence I want in the Web Remote interface. 

Using the DLNA controller functionality in MC now gives me a vastly inferior browsing interface. That makes MC no better than hundreds of other PC music players.

Perhaps combining a DLNA renderer with an MC server controller via an expanded Net Remote or an expanded Tremote would fit my needs.

For WebRemote or a small screen handheld controller, I need to be able to specify what tags will be used to browse and select files and to specify the menu structure defining the sequence of browsing steps.

> 5.  Ability to restore user settings from a library backup

The last time I tried this, parts worked and parts didn't.

> 7.  Expanded Library Sync

I would be happy to use this feature.

-- my own additional item
I'd like to be able to customize the MC UI to a greater extent.  I think this fits with Matt's item about minimizing keystrokes.

Bill

Stonehedge

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:56 am »

I found this forum after visiting audiophile sites. Many, many users of computer stored music regard MC as a good player for their purposes.

Please continue on the support for different hardware interfaces and improve on the handling of music.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 02:05:07 pm »

I found this forum after visiting audiophile sites. Many, many users of computer stored music regard MC as a good player for their purposes.

Please continue on the support for different hardware interfaces and improve on the handling of music.
Thanks.  You might find more useful info here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Audiophile_Info

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 05:23:27 pm »

I would love it if you combined DLNA/Library Server/Library Sync into one tool. Also, move the plug in setting into a separate subcategory under the main settings dialog. A lot of time, I don't know where to look.

Another thing is that you really need to improve the JRiver internal video playback. The same movies I can watch without a problem on MPC-HC I get terrible glitching and audio sync problems.

More default skins.

Remember tagging/renaming schemes (more than just "last used").

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 03:51:14 am »

Perhaps as a No.8:

8. Improve Streaming of video to MC clients.

By this I mean that if I am accessing MC remotely I want the MC server to recognise this and serve a cached small res/lower quality version of the video. So maybe we could create a new MC mode called "Handheld MC" or something. Would be great on the coming barrage of Tablet type computers and netbooks.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 11:04:46 pm »

I'm currently using 7MC for HD TV Recording and general video playback, MPC-HC + DvdFab Passkey for Blu-Ray playback, and MC for music playback.

I'd love to do all of this with just MC, but for that to happen I'd need the following:
1) MC needs to support selecting and playing a stream off an unencrypted Blu-Ray.
2) MC needs integration with the automatic commercial detection programs out there and the ability to de-mux the recorded TV out of the proprietary JRiver container. (Even Microsoft provides a simple method to convert .WTV to .DVR-MS which tons of programs can work with)

-John

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 09:52:08 pm »

I would love it if you combined DLNA/Library Server/Library Sync into one tool. Also, move the plug in setting into a separate subcategory under the main settings dialog. A lot of time, I don't know where to look.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thanks!

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 10:21:07 pm »

hi,
MC15 will become very important to me as soon as I will be able to play movies at 2x the normal speed with sound..

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My middle name is MEDIA
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 12:40:27 am »

As much as I like MC and appreciate the work that the developers have been doing to fix it, it's as much I'd be the worst critic for MC when it comes to Theater View development pace. I try to talk about it everywhere in this forum but honestly if the developer don't open doors then the skinners can't come in. I halt my truck on MC 13, I didn't see much reason to get 14 and now with 15 and the list of "new features", I still don't see any big jump because Theater View hasn't improved much IMO.
There's only 4 old Windows Media Center-like Theater View skins compatible up to 13; none for 14 in a span of 2 years but yet 2 upgrades have spun since. Is it because nobody is interested on creating skins for Theater View or they have no better access? Last time I created a thread on Theater View in MC, some people chose to write private messages to me instead of airing their displeasure about the lack of Theater View skins in the forum... Honestly, as long as one is not disrespectful then I don't see why we can't let the developers of MC knows what we feel.
If spicing up Theater View (Fan Art/Theater View Plugins/Easier for skinners to make Skins) is where MC 15 goes next then I'll get on the its bus.
My Music collection runs 24/7; I threw away the Stop button.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 01:00:00 am »

Next: touch... in a big way.

Think outside the realms of just the current Theater View - drag to playlist, drag off playlist, stretch stacks to view contents etc.

Touch is coming and, sadly enough, HP's TouchSmart software is the best I've seen for touch so far - and that includes MS Surface.

)p(

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 06:23:26 am »

Next: touch... in a big way.

Think outside the realms of just the current Theater View - drag to playlist, drag off playlist, stretch stacks to view contents etc.

I agree in addition to the mouse based standard view, remote based theater view a new touch view targeted to take advantage of ipad like devices running windows. I think touch specific gui's are the future for media player interfaces.
Pages: [1]   Go Up