INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: error when burning  (Read 10848 times)

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
error when burning
« on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:44 pm »

?
error message "invalid address for write"
another beer coaster !!!
the windows product ok
aaaaark
please advise

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: error when burning
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:58:56 pm »

Have you installed other software since it worked last?

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:43:21 am »

not sure
might be due for a reformat of hard drive - when i have 8 spare hours
will advise further

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:02:15 pm »

still happening after reformat
burnt 20% ejected cd with message "invalid addres for write"
help

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:13:42 pm »

Drive gone bad?

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:08:11 pm »

i suspect no but will try with something else i won't name here
will advise further

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:09:57 am »

will try with something else i won't name here

deliberately holding back info makes it extremely hard to offer help......

But, try a different brand of blank disks, a different drive/burner.

also run some sort of diag on your machine including the ram.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:54:38 am »

::)
not holding back anything
here goes!
itunes
winamp
windows media player
and of course there are others
drive works perfectly with windows media player

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:49:44 am »

same error message
another beer coaster ::) ::) ::)
burnt then ripped same cd with another program
nothing wrong with cd burner
help !

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 01:27:04 pm »

I've had this problem for months. I use Nero to do my burns now which is a real pain in the bum. See my post 'Burning Problem' on the MC14 board - also, tdipower looks to have the same bug - 'Burn Disc/CD Burner Error Windows 7' also on the MC14 board ....(sorry, I don't know how to give you the links)....

Hope you have more luck than I

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:29 pm »

I've had this problem for months. I use Nero to do my burns now which is a real pain in the bum. See my post 'Burning Problem' on the MC14 board - also, tdipower looks to have the same bug - 'Burn Disc/CD Burner Error Windows 7' also on the MC14 board ....(sorry, I don't know how to give you the links)....
Are you both using Nero?  What else do you have in common?

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 12:20:10 am »

no nero
has worked perfectly up until latest version [ or one prior ?]
just out of curiosity i will try with mc14 and advise

thanks

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 12:41:06 am »

;D
Media Center 14 burns perfectly

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 01:12:43 am »

take a deep breath and slow down.

there isn't a person here who can read your 'mind'.

You need to tell people exactly what you are doing and with what software AND what versions.

All of it.  You're some 10 posts into the thread before you casually mention what version of MC you are having problems with.

YOU are going to have to be a lot clearer in your description of YOUR environment.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:21 am »

Looks like reakoh has a similar problem also - (see 'Burn Disc/CD Burner Error Windows 7'  on the MC14 board).....

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 04:02:15 am »

just burnt perfectly with winamp

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 06:45:06 am »

Thanks for the help, newsposter.

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 08:12:18 am »

Sorry for your problems with cd burning phalanthus, I'd like to work with you on getting this resolved.  Please email me at 'johnt at jriver dot com' and include a log file from a failed burn attempt (let me know if you need instructions on how to generate the log).  If you want to avoid creating another coaster, go into burn options and put it into test mode before doing the burn.

Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 08:38:01 am »

thanks all & apologies for my tone- my tablets aren't working.
i do not understand cars, computers and women
 ;D

burnt perfectly

again thanks regards

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 10:44:23 am »

John -

I have emailed a log to you

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 06:24:58 pm »

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 04:35:39 am »

I gave it a try.....another coaster......

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 07:37:28 am »

Use the test mode JohnT described above to save your discs.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 09:43:40 am »

It's in test mode but still produces a coaster - I've put this info in the email to John

McNeil

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 07:32:13 am »

Is there any news according this problem?

Because yesterday I tried burning a CD with MC 15.0.136 four times and all attempts failed. Unfortunately I did not activate the logging and I ran out of discs for now but I'll try to describe what I did and propably will hand in the logs later.

CD drive is a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223C set to max.

I tired different settings.
The 1. attempt was with the following ones checked:

-eject after burning
-decode files directly to disc
-write CD-text

I can't really remember what happened but it was like it was trying to burn the first track and said it couldn't write. The result was that the CD became unreadable.

My 2. and 3. try was with following:

-eject after burning
-decode files directly to disc (unchecked)
-write CD-text
-apply cross-fade and DSP effects (where the was just volume leveling activated)
-close disc when burning is complete

This time it burned all tracks but failed to close the audio session. The result was the same as before.

My last try was with test mode checked. Same message as before and in addition it touched the disc in spite of the test mode and it became unreadable as well.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 12:33:43 pm »

I am also having this problem under Win7-64x and MC 15.0.142.  I have made four attempts to burn a Data CD using forced MP3 conversion and gotten four "Invalid address" errors and unusable CDs.  I have no problems burning with other software (or the last time I burned a CD under MC, although may have been some time back).

Also, when I try to burn in test mode to generate a log to send, MC gives me a dialog to "Please insert a disc" (the Burn button says "Test" so I'm really in test mode).  So now what?  I don't need any more coasters, already have a full set.

BTW- there have been a number of other things that seem to have broken for me sometime after going to 15x (like custom tag fields not working right), but I haven't had the time to properly chase them down or document them.  This is definitely the one killing me right now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 06:46:38 am »

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 12:39:46 pm »

I dont' have MSSE so that's not it.  This problem for me is since MC15, which is well after my AV software was in place.  I don't burn discs all that frequently, so it's hard to pin down an exact time this began (not sure if this is since beginning of 15 or a interim build).  In any case, I am using a workaround of converting to MP3 in a temp folder and then burning a CD of those from the OS.  It would be a lot more convenient to do within MC, however.

BTW- I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Test button asking for a CD is my misunderstanding of that process.  It's been a long time since I've used Test Mode for anything, but could be that the disc has to be there just to simulate the test, even though not burning. 

OT, but I think the burn process could be more robust in general; any error big or small (file not found, not licensed, etc.) results in an automatic termination of the burn process.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 12:50:50 pm »

It sounds like this may be a conversion problem, and not a burning problem.

using a workaround of converting to MP3 in a temp folder and then burning a CD of those from the OS

Can you burn an audio disc?

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 01:13:02 pm »

Haven't tried yet with straight Audio CD, though the error I'm getting is "invalid address for write" and occurs after the ISO prep phase of the burn (I can't see what MC is doing, but that implies to me that the conversion process is already complete).  Also, using the exact same encoding settings, I have no errors converting the same playlist into a temp folder. 
Perhaps there's something about MC's burn engine that makes it less forgiving of certain media than the OS/some other apps?  I'm not using el-cheapo blanks, but I'll try and dig up something from another brand and test again when I can get a chance.

JohnT

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 11:31:11 am »

What format are you converting from?
Can you send a log file of a failed burn attempt to johnt at jriver dot com ?
Thanks!

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 03:48:34 pm »

My files are all MP3, WMA, or some OGG leftover from a different era.  I'm forcing convert even for the MP3s (although the first few burns, I did not force it to convert either MP3 or WMA).  Unless MC is encoding directly to the CD, I think the error is ocurring after the conversion (it always gets through the build ISO part). 
I will do another burn attempt and send the resulting log.  Something tells me a test burn won't actually trigger the problem and I'm going to have to sacrifice another CD to the debug gods.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 04:29:44 pm »

You could use a rewritable CD-RW disc for testing.

Personally I prefer to use CD-RW discs for MP3 CD burning. I usually have a set of about ten CD-RWs in my car and I rewrite one or two discs about weekly.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 04:53:00 pm »

Yeah, I was going to try and dig one up for this (I have moved on to DVD-RW at this point).  Of course, the burn won't fail if I use a rewritable :)

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 10:00:04 pm »

John - I've been out of action for a while. You said in your email that you would send me a version of the burn engine to try cure the problem. Is there any progress ?

Jim

JohnT

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 07:50:45 am »

John - I've been out of action for a while. You said in your email that you would send me a version of the burn engine to try cure the problem. Is there any progress ?

Jim
Hi Jim,  I sent you an email yesterday.  The only thing I can see in the log is a "Read Track Information" command that is failing with an "Invalid field in Cdb" error, but the log shows correct information being requested in the command data block ("Cdb") so I'm not sure what to try.  I did add some more logging in that area in last night's beta build (155) so if anyone is using that, please send me a log.  The latest version of the burn engine won't work with the older builds.  It would be nice to know if there is some commonality to the systems that are failing on this, if you guys could post your system info that would be great. Also post what type of burn you're doing (data/audio/convert from what to what, etc.).
I see that McNeil is using a "TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223C" burner and that is the model that was in JollyJim's log as well.  Hmmm....

Thanks!

JohnT

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 08:49:13 am »

Newegg.com had the Samsung SH-223C burner for $16.99 shipped so I went ahead and ordered it.  When it gets in I'll see if I can reproduce any problems here.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 06:09:27 am »

Hi John - just tried again on 15.0.150 and failed. It goes through the 'Preparing Tracks' part ok but then fails with a 'could'nt  start audio recording session' message. This is for an audio cd - data cd's seem to be ok. I have emailed a log file to you.

Hope it is of use - Jim

Media Center 15.0.150 Registered -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 15\

Workstation 6.1  (Build 7600)
AMD Unknown 2812 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3145 MB, Free - 1100 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7600 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7600 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7600 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive H: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S223C   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive H: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C    Addr: 3:1:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices: NIKON D300

Interface Plugins:
  TiVo Server (Active/Enabled)

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:12 am »

Have now been able to burn a CD-RW (told you it won't fail unless there's something to lose).  Actually, I'm very suspicious this is related to the specific media for the CD-Rs I have but, like I said, MC is the only app consistently failing to write to them.  They're HP branded blanks, but I can't find the real mfg. printed anywhere on them.

Here's my system info.  I have not changed the burn settings since the fails.

Media Center 15.0.142 Registered -- D:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 15\

6.1  (Build 7600)
Intel Core 2 1847 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 4194 MB, Free - 1132 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7600 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7600 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7600 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-H653A  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive E: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 10:04:35 am »

They're HP branded blanks, but I can't find the real mfg. printed anywhere on them.

It could be...

Brand almost always means absolutely nothing, especially with "major consumer brands" like HP, Sony, Maxell, etc.  They buy their blanks on the open market and they can be different from one batch to the next.  There can even be different manufacturers of discs within the same "pack" sold at retail.

There used to be sites that tracked all of this by batch numbers and whatnot, but they don't really exist anymore.  If you burn a lot of discs, you learn to buy high-quality media.  I really like the "Ultra" discs sold by DiscMakers.  Verbatim also makes high-quality discs (though I've had better long-term luck with the Ultra discs).

That said... MC's burner should perform no better or worse than other similar audio-cd mastering applications on your system.  Media rejection is a function of the burner hardware itself, generally not a software issue.

One thing to check for EVERYONE who is having trouble here...  PIO Mode.  If PIO Mode somehow got turned on for your optical drive, this will cause all sorts of seemingly random failures and slow performance.  This can happen all by itself, especially in Windows XP.  Windows will automatically slow a drive down to PIO transfer mode when a certain number of errors occur.  These errors usually indicate a hardware failure, but they can also be other things, like bad cables, viruses, or flaky drivers.

These instructions are old, but they still work for XP: http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm
Here are instructions for Vista (which also work for Win 7): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-Direct-Memory-Access-DMA-on-or-off

If this happened to your system, then you want to start looking for the cause of the failure, or it will probably happen again.  Things I would try (roughly in order):

1. Replace the data cable that connects your burner to your motherboard.  These are cheap and they fail ALL THE TIME, especially the old ATA-style ribbon cables.  Just replace it.  You should be able to find a replacement at Radio Shack or your local computer store.  I've even had them give them to me if I asked nicely.

2. Update your motherboard chipset drivers to the latest version.  If you have an Intel processor, this is most likely these drivers here.  It is possible that you could have an Nvidia-based board, but less likely.  If you aren't sure, CPU-Z will tell you what vendor made the chipset on your motherboard (check the "Mainboard" tab).  It works best if you uninstall the old ones first, reboot, and then install the new ones.

3. Replace the drive.  They're cheap.  It might be worth swapping a new on in there to see if it fixes the issue.  Change the cable at the same time if you didn't already do it.  If it doesn't fix the issue, well, then you're only out $20.

4. Check for malware and disable your anti-virus auto-protection.  AV Software can interfere with burning sometimes, and viruses/malware can CERTAINLY cause issues.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 10:26:23 pm »

OK, this is getting more bizarre...

So, the CD-RWs that I did get to burn - None of them have the Artist or Track info embedded in the burned MP3s.  The source files all have these tags populated and the MP3s from a Convert operation to a hard drive folder have these tags, so I can't even begin to guess what's happening here, but it's pretty essential that the tracks have their tags preserved.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 05:16:16 pm »

15.0.161 has a fix we think may work for the Samsung burner.  It's here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60813.0

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 01:10:52 am »

OK, have installed and will burn something with it for a test.

BardMaster

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 11:29:48 pm »

Hi - same "invalid format for write" error here.  I have an XP SP3/Win7 dual-boot with two drives on different bus types (PATA and SATA).  What's odd is I've been using Win7 and burning w/o issue thru this big MP3 CD project (long road trip), then switched to my XP and experienced the problem.  Back on Win7 now I get the same error - WTF?

PLEXTOR BDDVDR PX-B3220SA (SATA)
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111C (PATA)

I have Nero 9 which burns just fine.  System specs: Core 2 Duo E8500 w/Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Patriot Torqx 64GB SSD + 2 Maxtor 320GB SATA drives (NO write issues with these drives!).

I've tried everything I can think of to get this to work!  I've updated my chipset drivers, my Plextor firmware, system BIOS, and tried different CMOS bus settings - legacy IDE mode, native IDE mode, and SATA AHCI.  I've gone through a 25-pack of Memorex CD-R's.

Help?

DVD-R burns just fine on the Plextor.  Only CD's have this problem.  Of course, my cars only take CD's.

Tried all suggestions here and in other posts about "invalid format for write" to no avail.  Updated to latest version 15, nothing.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 02:57:16 am »

Still failing - more coasters. I've given up now and using Nero.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 08:39:13 am »

Still failing - more coasters. I've given up now and using Nero.
Did you update for the fix?  The problem we found was with the drive itself.  John found a workaround.  Build 171 is at the top of this board.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 08:43:27 am »

I see that at least two people are using Nero.  Years ago, we had a problem with Nero taking over the drive.  Maybe it's back again.

Try uninstalling Nero.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 09:15:15 am »

If you look in this thread, you will see that I took the upgrade but it is still failing. It is not Nero that is causing the problem as the problem already existed before I installed Nero. I've wasted nearly 50 blanks on this problem and been co-erced into upgrading to version 15 when I was settled with 14, (see Burning Problem in the MC14 board), so I don't intend wasting any more time or money on it. Very disappointed with the low level of interest that JR have given this problem over the length of time that I and others have been reporting it.

EDIT...
Media Center 15.0.171 Registered -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 15\

Workstation 6.1  (Build 7600)
AMD Unknown 2811 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3145 MB, Free - 1100 MB

Ripping /   Drive H: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S223C   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive H: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C    Addr: 3:1:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices: NIKON D300

Interface Plugins:
  TiVo Server (Active/Enabled)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 09:30:49 am »

Jim,

I recall that the old "Nero" problems were related to the active InCD program and its packet writing driver. Here is an old post from the club.myce.com forum:

From: http://club.myce.com/f3/what-nero-incd-software-189027/#post1511589
From the Nero website: "To use your recorder like a floppy, you must use our InCD software with CD-RW or DVD-RW media. First you format the ReWriteable media with InCD. Once the format is complete, you can use it like a floppy from within your Windows Explorer, ´My Computer´, or save directly to the media from any program."

-- Nero InCD is what is called packet writing software. It allows the functionality mentioned above, but may also interfere with other routine burning processes and programs. For this reason, it is usually recommended that unless you have a specific use for this type of program not to install it at all.

The recent Nero Versions do not install InCD by default (since Nero v.7, I think). I have a minimal installation of Nero 9 on my Windows 7 machine (just the things I need for burning various optical media types) and it does not interfere MC or other programs. It does not run any background processes when the Nero Burning ROM program is not running. My XP machines still have the Nero version 6 installed, which is fine for my DVD and CD burning needs on XP.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 09:39:39 am »

Thanks Alex

InCD is not installed so there should'nt be a problem there. All my other burn programs work ok - it's only MC that does'nt. So now, anything I want to burn, I put in a playlist and export it to Nero which burns it without any probs. A pain in the bum, but far less frustrating than wasting any more time or money with coasters.

Thanks for replying

Jim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up