INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix Blu-Ray File Import Structure  (Read 12568 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Fix Blu-Ray File Import Structure
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:40:05 pm »

Any plans to make JR's auto import work with Blu-Ray disk file layouts? Right now (MC15) if I rip a BR to a MC watched folder it makes a mess of the library. Several files appear in the library 0001,0002, etc.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Blu-Ray Import
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:57 pm »

It's probably possible.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:26:15 pm »

Woo hooo! So many disks are coming out in Blue-Ray these days. That's pretty much all I buy.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:29:52 pm »

What are you ripping and playing with?

Ripping to MKV will work the best, since it allows native playback inside Media Center.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:12 am »

Ripping to MKV will work the best, since it allows native playback inside Media Center.

Matt, you mentioned a few months ago that you'd like to improve MKV integration with MC, which I think many people will appreciate.  Is that still the plan?

For example, I can select filters for MKV files, but the actual codecs inside the container can vary, and what works best for one, may not be the best choice for another (some MKV files just wouldn't play at all for me in MC15).

With the newest filters installed by MPC player, it seems much better, but it's still not as seamless as their player (not surprisingly).

I use MakeMKV to rip my Blu-Ray discs, and that works pretty well overall.

Thanks.
pretend this is something funny

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:51:44 am »

Matt, you mentioned a few months ago that you'd like to improve MKV integration with MC, which I think many people will appreciate.  Is that still the plan?

For example, I can select filters for MKV files, but the actual codecs inside the container can vary, and what works best for one, may not be the best choice for another (some MKV files just wouldn't play at all for me in MC15).

With the newest filters installed by MPC player, it seems much better, but it's still not as seamless as their player (not surprisingly).

I use MakeMKV to rip my Blu-Ray discs, and that works pretty well overall.

Thanks.

FWIW, I use EAC3TO and mux to MKV for my Blu-ray rips, MC seems to work great with this scenario.  I use FFDshow for all HD video decode (h.264/AVC->ffmpeg-mt, VC1->WMV9, MPEG2->libavcodec).  Not a single problem to report here.  The MPC video decoder has issues, especially with VC1 (single-threaded).

Not that it matters, but I'm using the LAVF splitter and audio decoder.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:13:54 am »

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that some when I get home again.

I would like to just mention that anyone not VERY, VERY familiar with video conversion, filter/codec implementation and usage, etc would see that as written in Greek, or Russian.

I know enough to follow what you're saying, but 98.9% of the population will read that and never even bother trying to make it work, for lack of understanding.

However, as you mention, there are 2 filters required to playback the different video codecs that can be commonly found in MKV files (h.264/AVC -> ffmpeg-mt & VC1->WMV9, MPEG2 -> libavcodec), but MC makes me select filters for MKV, so one of these 2 options will not work well, as they require different solutions.

I'm suggesting that the entire system should be MUCH easier to get working.

I know that the MC developers have to test out these things to make sure they work, not just because the product needs to work, but also because they need/want to use MC at home, in their personal lives.

I just think that that research and tweaking and knowledge should just be better integrated into MC, making it work 98% of the time without even needing to know where to apply these settings, yet still allowing tweakers to play, if they wish.

And before someone tells me to just install CCCP and it will work; why?  Why can't MC just work by default?

Why should customers HAVE to have a working knowledge of this stuff to play a file?

I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing out that this whole system is due for an overhaul, and a new version is usually when these types of big changes get tackled :)

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:56:22 am »

I agree, it takes a bit of knowledge to make it work right with the multiple tools involved.  It seems that as part of v16, JRiver will be working to make this easy for the "out of the box" experience.

But, I think you've missed my point re: FFDshow as the container formats.  If you use FFDshow, by making the Coded Settings as I listed, all you need is FFDshow to decode all 3 of the formats which may be in the MKV container.  There is no need for another decoder.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:05 pm »

I agree, it takes a bit of knowledge to make it work right with the multiple tools involved.

A bit?!?  hehe, I think you underestimate your knowledge in this area.  the general public has NO IDEA what any of this is  ;)

It seems that as part of v16, JRiver will be working to make this easy for the "out of the box" experience.

it does, and I hope we're correct in thinking so :)

But, I think you've missed my point re: FFDshow as the container formats.  If you use FFDshow, by making the Coded Settings as I listed, all you need is FFDshow to decode all 3 of the formats which may be in the MKV container.  There is no need for another decoder.

You're correct, I did miss your point, and in re-reading, I see what you're suggesting, and it makes more sense now.  However, I think that just strengthens my 'argument' for making it easier.

I have a bit over an 'average' working knowledge of this stuff (ignoring those that have NO IDEA about it), and it's still not a straight forward setup process.

In addition to needing to configure MC to use FFDshow (there are SEVERAL FFDshow options to choose from in MC's selection drop-down), one then needs to get into the guts of FFDshow setup to get those settings applied/configured, which isn't the easiest thing to do either, plus you still need to deal with subtitles, and chapters, and audio configuration!  AND, one has to do this with the knowledge of what to do already in place, there is NO HELP in making this work (inside MC; this forum is great).

It just seems to me there are a few (very few?) ways this *can* work, so why provide 30+ options, each needing to be configured separately, when most are unnecessary, and just muddy the waters?

I fully, completely trust the MC developers to know what works well/best in MC to playback my media, and would think most people would also, and just let MC "make it work" for us.  Yes, having the ability to tweak is great, and *some* people will want to customize everything they can, and this should still be allowed, but not *necessary*, in my opinion :)  It just seems a big waste of time to force every single user to do all of this setup work themselves, when the devs already know what works and how.

MC must know what filters are available on a system, or it couldn't use them to playback, so it seems that MC could/should just look for the filter that works "best" and use it, without involving me, and if it can't find that filter, go to the second "best" choice, and so on.  if/when it gives up searching, ask the user for guidance in finding what they wish to use, or MORE LIKELY, suggest they install whatever works "best", and help them do it where possible.

forcing users to rely on this forum (and thorough searching) to find the answers and get this all working just won't work for 90% of the users, they will just install something else that doesn't make them go thru all this.  I think that's a bad thing for everyone involved, as MC loses customers, and those customers are forced to settle for an inferior product, for simplicity's sake.

For example, it's way easier to just install MPC player and play a file, and everything works; easy.  In fact, I'm using it by default because I usually don't want to mess with MC to play a movie.  I REALLY don't want to continue doing this, but it works, and I can spend my time on other stuff.

I would say this same line of thinking applies to audio as well.  Why do I need to tell it to play at 48k or 44.1k or 96k or to convert to something else, or not, or whatever?  I want MC to send every media file to my receiver/pre-amp/speakers at the highest quality possible, with the least amount of processing possible.  the devs know the best way to do this, why ask me???  yes, allowing people to tweak/adjust is great, but it shouldn't be *necessary* for me to mess about with this stuff.

Again, I'm not complaining, just trying to help guide development towards areas where I see the possibility for improvement.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 02:12:51 pm »

What are the benefits of LAVF?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 02:40:57 pm »

justinchase,
There are legitimate rights concerns that prevent us from doing everything for you.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »

justinchase,
There are legitimate rights concerns that prevent us from doing everything for you.

Oh, I'm sure of that, and do understand.  I'm just hopeful that something closer to what I have described is possible; a happy middle-ground if you like.

Even a good help file with thorough instructions and maybe some suggestions for what works, and how 'exactly' to set it up inside MC would be a big step forward.

I realize you likely can't just include all the filters and such bundled with MC out of the box, but I have to believe it can be improved.

Maybe MC can just recognize what is already installed, and offer a pre-configured "adjustment" to some common filters, or something similar.  "I see you have FFDshow installed, would you like to apply our suggested settings for you?"

A while back, I suggested a "codec pack" as an alternative/option to help with this.  Someone really railed against me for even suggesting such a stupid idea, but I still think it's a good option.  A pre-configured group of codecs designed/tweaked to integrate into MC, with no user tweaking *required* to get lossless/high quality playback of most common files.

Perhaps it can't/shouldn't be offered by J River, but perhaps Billy Bob's Codec Shack (unrelated to J River) could release something, for example.  ;)

Anyway, thanks for any/all development that can get done in this area!!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »

MC must know what filters are available on a system, or it couldn't use them to playback, so it seems that MC could/should just look for the filter that works "best" and use it, without involving me, and if it can't find that filter, go to the second "best" choice, and so on.  if/when it gives up searching, ask the user for guidance in finding what they wish to use, or MORE LIKELY, suggest they install whatever works "best", and help them do it where possible.

Maybe MC can just recognize what is already installed, and offer a pre-configured "adjustment" to some common filters, or something similar.  "I see you have FFDshow installed, would you like to apply our suggested settings for you?"

MC already looks for the filter that works best and uses it. If you have ffdshow or other codecs installed, you can leave everything set to auto and MC will playback your files. You don't have to manually select any codecs. There are times when it will use a splitter or filter that doesn't work, but this usually happens when someone loads tons of various filters or demos on their system.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »

There are three bits missing (one critical) to supporting (simple) playback of Blu-ray disks stuctures in MC:
1a) Blu-ray Recognition :  MC will need to be tweaked to recognise a Blu-ray ROM and Blu-ray structure so it would only try to import or play the whole structure as one (eg like it does with DVD), and then it would still need:
1b) Blu-ray Navigation :  There is no available Blu-ray Navigiation "filter" that MC can use... so JR will need to code or buy a solution if MC is to be able to play Blu-rays.  There are two ways, full on Java support (like TMT PDVD etc which given the cost and complexity I don't think is likely) OR what MPC-HC has already done and just build a MPLS parser so you can bypass the menu and just play the content.  I asked over at the Slysoft Forum if their (yet to be released) Blu player will have a direct show Navigation Blu Navigation Filter but it seems it will be coded directly.
2) DTS-HD :  There is no freeware DTS-HD audio decoder so when playing disks with this audio track you only get the DTS "lossy core".

JRiver CEO Elect

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 05:15:57 pm »

MC already looks for the filter that works best and uses it. If you have ffdshow or other codecs installed, you can leave everything set to auto and MC will playback your files. You don't have to manually select any codecs.

Unfortunately, this has not been my experience :(

I'm getting close to needing/wanting to wipe and reinstall windows on the HTPC, so I'll see where I stand "out of the box" once I find the time to do this.

I installed Windows 7 when it was released, and have tried a few "solutions" (experiments??) to stuff in that time, so a wipe and "do over" might take care of this now.

lossless audio and subtitles support in MKV files has improved substantially since I installed W7, and trying to stay on top of that progress (plus the learning curve) caused a lot of the trial and error, which likely led to some of the issues I've experienced.

Thanks

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 12:35:24 pm »

Can someone help me with digital audio passthrough with ffdshow/CCCP?  I have DTS checked and "Same as input" for the ffdshow audio options using HDMI (1.3) output to an AVR.  I have a MKV made from a Blu-ray with both DTS-HD and standard DTS audio tracks.  All I get is a stereo signal to my AVR when selecting either track.  I tried a different DVD with DTS sound and still only get stereo output (but do get DTS output when I remove ffdshow as a filter).  Any tips to get this working?  Thanks.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 05:07:47 pm »

I am using DVDfab to "copy" the disk to folder. This gives me an exact backup copy of the DVD. I am also using the AutoMeta Plugin to grab the covers, movie description, actors, etc, etc. I have the playback options set up to pass the movie off to TotalTheater 5 for playback. No setting up fliters, codecs etc. I realize there is a lot for JR to work on re:Blu-ray. But at the very least let's get the folder structure import problem fixed. I can handle the playback on my own until JR gets around to beefing up their whole Blu-Ray process.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »

FWIW, I use EAC3TO and mux to MKV for my Blu-ray rips, MC seems to work great with this scenario.  I use FFDshow for all HD video decode (h.264/AVC->ffmpeg-mt, VC1->WMV9, MPEG2->libavcodec).  Not a single problem to report here.  The MPC video decoder has issues, especially with VC1 (single-threaded).

Hi Mike,
My problem is not the ripping it's what MC is doing with the folder contents once ripped.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 06:20:47 am »

What are the benefits of LAVF?

Well, I've only been testing it for a week or so.  The splitter is not as reliable as Haali Media Splitter with MC, but the new-ish audio decoder appears to work quite well for what it supports so far.  My interest initially was the lightweight audio decoder (compared to ffdshow).  It would take some work to get any more light weight and reliable than the HMS, however.  Not that it matters so much to the end user, but the LAVF splitter is open-source and the HMS is not, fwiw.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »

I would like to playback with an external player such as Total Media Theater since it's strong suite is just video. I hope this gets addressed. Many folks contributed significant comments on this thread. Right now I'd just like to see MC properly handle the folder structure. Playback/rip, etc can be dealt with later. As it stands now the Blu-Ray file import is broken.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 06:01:18 pm »

I would like to playback with an external player such as Total Media Theater since it's strong suite is just video. I hope this gets addressed. Many folks contributed significant comments on this thread. Right now I'd just like to see MC properly handle the folder structure. Playback/rip, etc can be dealt with later. As it stands now the Blu-Ray file import is broken.

You might try MKV.

You'll get nice support in any program, native playback in Media Center, the ability to use our audiophile audio engine for the audio, and the ability to use madVR for the video.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 06:15:11 pm »

You might try MKV.

You'll get nice support in any program, native playback in Media Center, the ability to use our audiophile audio engine for the audio, and the ability to use madVR for the video.

Ok, but that doesn't solve one of my primary purposes which is archiving my DVD's (in native format) to the hard drive.  :-\

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »

Ok, but that doesn't solve one of my primary purposes which is archiving my DVD's (in native format) to the hard drive.  :-\

We should nicely support DVD's ripped to their native format (IFO, VOB, etc.).  I just tested, and ripped DVDs in this format are playing correctly for me.  If you're seeing a problem, please report it as a bug and it'll get fixed.

Blu-ray is more chaotic right now, and the only nice way for us to support it, in my opinion, is through MKV.  So that's where I would prefer to focus our energy.

I've personally been playing with Blu-ray as MKV at home, and have been having really good luck.  An MKV Blu-ray + our audio engine + madVR + the new video clock in v16 are a thing of beauty.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 06:45:09 pm »

We should nicely support DVD's ripped to their native format (IFO, VOB, etc.).  I just tested, and ripped DVDs in this format are playing correctly for me.  If you're seeing a problem, please report it as a bug and it'll get fixed.

Blu-ray is more chaotic right now, and the only nice way for us to support it, in my opinion, is through MKV.  So that's where I would prefer to focus our energy.

I've personally been playing with Blu-ray as MKV at home, and have been having really good luck.  An MKV Blu-ray + our audio engine + madVR + the new video clock in v16 are a thing of beauty.

Yes you do nicely handle regular DVD's (even in their native format)! I never implied that MC didn't. I'm just asking that Blu-Ray be handled as nicely (in their native format)! The "bug" I referred to is that if I import a Blu-Ray disk's native format it makes a mess of the library. See the image embedded in my first post in this thread.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 11:03:45 pm »

Matt, can you please be more specific as to the filters you're using in the scenario above?  Plus anything non-default that one would need to do to re-create this beauty?

Also, will this solution allow subtitles, chapters and DXVA decoding of MKV's?  Any caveats?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 10:17:21 am »

Matt, can you please be more specific as to the filters you're using in the scenario above?  Plus anything non-default that one would need to do to re-create this beauty?

I'm using ffdshow for decoding, madVR as the renderer, our audio engine for audio.

I'm also using the new VideoClock options for smooth video playback.  We're still tuning this and will try to provide a nice explanation in a couple weeks.

Also, will this solution allow subtitles, chapters and DXVA decoding of MKV's?  Any caveats?

Yes, yes, and I'm not sure.  My computer is using about 8% CPU during 1080p playback, but I believe madshi of madVR indicated DXVA is not desirable for the best quality anyways.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Re: Fix Blu-Ray File Import Structure
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 06:28:17 pm »

Thanks Matt.  I'm trying to set this up now, but your solution isn't readily obvious when setting up. I guessed at the non-obvious and tried this...

Playback Method: JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters)
Source Filter: Automatic *** Not sure this is right
Other Filters: ffdshow Video Decoder; JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter *** Not sure if this is your audio engine, there's no obvious choice here
Video Renderer: MadVR (anyone know how to make it stop asking for permission whenever I try to open a video file?)

I don't see the VideoClock option anywhere, where to look?

When I try to play some MKV videos on a client machine it crashes MC.  I haven't kicked the wife off the HTPC yet to test there, but initial signs are that I still don't have this set up correctly yet.

If i can get this working, I'll see how I do with cpu usage and decide if I care about DXVA

thanks again!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 06:31:26 pm »

I don't see the VideoClock option anywhere, where to look?
It's not yet available in the public build.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 10:44:33 am »

I'm using ffdshow for decoding, madVR as the renderer, our audio engine for audio.

What version of ffdshow?  I tried this recently with a corei3 system and got occasional stuttering and could not get digital audio passthrough to work.  I am wary of relying on third-party freeware decoders for stable playback.  Do you guys feel differently?  I would like to do all my playback in MC but would consider buying something like PowerDVD so that I could potentially get support for decoding/playback issues.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 10:58:44 am »

digital audio passthrough

I would recommend using your computer to decode all audio, and then output PCM over HDMI or use an analog output.

As for decoding, you can use the Microsoft filters (in Vista and Windows 7) if you want simple, stable, filters.  If you want a little more quality, you might look into madVR, etc.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 11:03:35 am »

I would recommend using your computer to decode all audio, and then output PCM over HDMI or use an analog output.

As for decoding, you can use the Microsoft filters (in Vista and Windows 7) if you want simple, stable, filters.  If you want a little more quality, you might look into madVR, etc.

This was a mkv (Blu-ray) with VC1 video and with DTS-HD audio.  Is it possible to use built-in Windows 7 video and audio filters to decode this?  It doesn't seem to work when I try it (no audio and a strange "fast-forward" effect of the video playback).

Daydream

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 04:51:12 pm »

Also, will this solution allow subtitles, chapters and DXVA decoding of MKV's?  Any caveats?

Yes, yes, and I'm not sure.

Ordered chapters? Segment linking? :)

Daydream

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 05:16:01 pm »

That's difficult to agree with. All hardware being equal (and not ancient) one can bitstream more than decode (for free).
Creating more points of adjustment is never good. Bitstream metadata interpretation, dialnorm, re-eq happen all in the receiver just get the stream to it. Explaining to somebody how to do that on the PC side (if at all possible) is much more trouble. Plus why did we buy the THX Select 2Plus, Audyssey what-not receiver? To do mixing in ffdshow? :)

Daydream

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »

This was a mkv (Blu-ray) with VC1 video and with DTS-HD audio.  Is it possible to use built-in Windows 7 video and audio filters to decode this? 

No. For DTS-HD anything (you don't say it's HR or MA) you need a third party decoder, something like the filter in TMT3. Jmone has an entire thread over here about this. Or you can use bitstreaming with ffdshow and don't do any decoding (if your receiver is compatible and doesn't act up for unrelated reasons). As of when I write this ffdshow tryouts are at ver3757 released on 2/9 (xvidvideo.ru is your hint). Somebody who reads doom9 more than me might know if they encountered any problem with Intel hardware but bitstreaming on Core i3 should work.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 06:44:31 pm »

Unfortunately, none of my experimenting got MC to decode and playback my MKV's without issue.  Some work, most don't.  I still don't have any idea what filters/choices Matt said worked for him, so I'm unfortunately going to have to continue to use MPC for playback.

I *really* want to use MC, but having to select from:

7 choices in "playback method" plus "automatic"
11 choices in "Source Filter" plus "automatic"
109 choices in "Other Filters"  (yes, over one-hundred choices!!)
and 6 choices in "Video Renderer" plus "automatic"

it's really just too much to test.

I installed MPC, select an MKV, and it plays without issue.  I have DXVA decoding with subtitles, chapter selection, and audio selection, .  I *can* make adjustments, but it just works out of the box.  Much easier.

Maybe someday MC will just work, but it's not there yet, sadly.

and no, selecting "automatic" for playback method does not work, in fact, it crashes MC

Jim has said there are issues with just doing it all for me, but there must be a middle-ground somewhere.

Oh well, it still works great for tagging and playback of music, which is why I continue to upgrade :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 07:05:59 pm »

There is a summary thread of everthing to do with Blu-ray playback here --> http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55171.0 and much of your questions are already answered, eg:
8: Blu-ray / HD-DVD Folder Structure Playback from MC  Tells you what to import, how to tag a Blu-ray Structure

and there is heaps of discussion on what filters work well (or don't)
JRiver CEO Elect

Daydream

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 08:28:51 pm »

I installed MPC, select an MKV, and it plays without issue.  

That's not apples to apples. MPC comes with its own filters, it's unrealistic to expect JRiver to develop their own filters for every A/V format out there.

and no, selecting "automatic" for playback method does not work, in fact, it crashes MC

I think there is some truth here. Apologies to JRiver if this has been discussed, I took a break from reading. So.

1) What does "Automatic" mean for Playback method? The player will take the filter with the highest DS merit, and then work/fail? Will it take all the filters that declare they can deal with the given stream format, in every possible playback method across the board (and if still fail then report "Time to panic!")? How "automatic" is "automatic"? 'Cause the average folks may be mislead and think that is the holly grail, "close your eyes, it'll work somehow"

2) It doesn't help that I have 8 playback methods. Eight! I'll use the RealPlayer engine to decode my mkvs... 'cause I can! It's an option, it's right there, let's see maybe t...h...i...s   o...n...e ooops! Not good. Maybe the QuickTime engine then? You get the idea. You can choose every option for every file format. Maybe there was some logic for this but it's not helping. Certain things should not be possible 'cause they are beyond reason.

3) The presentation of filter choices is maybe too complicated, especially for the average user. Click on any format, choose out of 8 playback methods, and then depending what you pick, 3 entries Source/Other/Video Renderers, each with its DS filters. I find these Playback methods to be the starting point of an overtly complicated way of configuring things. Why do we need some of them at all, and the rest like they are right now? In my mind "automatic" should show at least the implicit settings (filters) assigned to something ("system default" at the very least).

4) Will my choice of DS filters in MC be obeyed 100%, blindly? That Source/Splitter, those decoders, those renderers - attempt! If it fails I will know something is wrong with my choices (note: more explicit error messages might help). If it inserts something else silently in the chain because... that's the way the program wants it (I don't believe in dark magic), I will never know why it failed.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 08:53:16 pm »

There is a summary thread of everthing to do with Blu-ray playback here --> http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55171.0 and much of your questions are already answered, eg:
8: Blu-ray / HD-DVD Folder Structure Playback from MC  Tells you what to import, how to tag a Blu-ray Structure

and there is heaps of discussion on what filters work well (or don't)

I'm not sure if this was directed at my or not, but thanks for the help if so.

That is a great thread with much valuable information, however, nowhere that i could find does it explain how to playback mkv files with chapter and subtitle support.  I'm not interested in keeping the structure in tact, I much prefer just one file to manage :)

That's not apples to apples. MPC comes with its own filters, it's unrealistic to expect JRiver to develop their own filters for every A/V format out there.

maybe not apples to apples, but I would say video player to video player is a fair comparison.

I am not trying to argue, I think we mostly agree about this :)

I don't (necessarily) expect J River to develop their own filters, but I'm not sure why they can't use the ones MPC installs.

What I do expect is that J River take advantage of their vast knowledge of this subject, and do what is necessary with the tools available to them (ffdshow, CCCP, etc) and their experience of what does actually work for them, in their multiple testing environments and use that to make it at least somewhat kinda sorta easy for the average person to playback a MKV file.  Yes, there can be several containers that can hold a blu-ray file, but MKV certainly seems to be the leader in this, as well as being the most complete; from what I can tell.

Matt has said in many instances that he has it working good for himself.  I know others do also.  Why does each and every single user have to learn this themselves???

Your other comments about "automatic" echo mine, and I find your questions quite relevant, so obviously I agree with you on this :)

Daydream

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 09:42:54 pm »

Matt has said in many instances that he has it working good for himself.  I know others do also.  Why does each and every single user have to learn this themselves???

Hehe, this is because of many things (in my opinion). JRiver relies heavily on a mess that's not their own (the DirectShow thingie). But it does affect their product, respectively, the more versatile they're trying to make it the more questions are being asked about the said mess. The only way to (relatively) insulate MC from this would be filters built inhouse (closed ecosystem), that could be packed with the application (which is not an option with DS filters because of licensing and other stuff). But I bet the moment that happens many will still demand DS for whatever reasons. We will invent new reasons if there won't be one. Also, every player out there (MPC, KMplayer, VLC etc included) that have it's own filters still can be brought to its knees (crash) with a certain, very logical otherwise, combination of factors. There is no wining.

On the other hand, there are the people. Very different people. If something interests me, I like to know how it works. Enjoying it, whatever "it" may be, it's not enough. All in good humor - I don't quite understand people that are not interested of the ins and outs of something they're excited about. It's like you enjoy it just for half of it. But that's just me. However, I totally understand people that don't have time to learn about how some entertainment app works. There is only that much time to do that and that every day. Then the argument that something should be simpler - if at all possible - kicks in with even more reason.

We can only hope that from all the opinions given in here something better will come out at some point :).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »

I'm not sure if this was directed at my or not, but thanks for the help if so.

That is a great thread with much valuable information, however, nowhere that i could find does it explain how to playback mkv files with chapter and subtitle support.  I'm not interested in keeping the structure in tact, I much prefer just one file to manage :)

Sorry Justin this was more for the OP who wanted to manage a full file stucture.

File playback is earlier in the thread 3: File Playback in MC.  I've just updated it with more recent info.  No issues in playback of MKV with Subs and Chapters (see the pic I updated in the other thread)
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up