INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Set rules for file display  (Read 2169 times)

wittykitty

• Recent member
Set rules for file display
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:04:36 am »

I have loads of library views for the boxsets that I have, Buffy, Charmed, Star Trek etc.  I also have a library view I call "All films", this is where I keep films only, no boxset stuff.  This view is filtered and most of the rules say "Name does not start with ***"

I now have that may filters on this library view I cannot add any more, as they disappear off the bottom of the screen!  Is there any way I can add more rules?

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Set rules for file display
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:59:17 am »

i've stumped in to the same problem and there is no solution, except an ugly one..if you have the possibility to set the resolution to max you can add new rules..

also you could consider to use several smartlists and exclude them instead, or do some tagging and exclude values in those fields.

you can also try out "autotagger", you find it here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5.0
MT5FR

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:52:16 pm »

Unless they're dealing with rare exceptions, rules referring to specific files or groups of files (like box sets) are a sure sign the library isn't properly organized. Rules are meant to handle attributes of files, not the files themselves. In this case, the attribute of interest seems to be "Boxset." A field should be created for that, and used to record if a file is a member of a box set. It could also be recorded in some other list field used to record media type attributes. Then the rule to use is simply [Boxset]=[true|false].

But I wonder if even that is necessary. The attribute that seems to distinguish these box sets from movies is that they are series. (If a box set of movies was acquired, I suspect they would be classified as movies, not box sets.) If that's the case, all of these files should have a number of other fields populated that would distinguish them as series: [Media Sub Type], [Series], [Season], [Episode]. Only one of them needs to be tested by a rule to determine whether a file is an episode of a series or something else.

Even if the desire is to create a view that will properly segregate movies from series (or box sets) even if they have not been tagged, this can be done if the files originate from different folders. Just put movies in \Video\Movies and series in \Video\Series, and then use a rule that refers to [Filename (path)] to distinguish them.

I wouldn't recommend AutoTagger to anyone who has not yet mastered rules. Even if they were able to configure it safely, it has to be activated manually each session. To use it to set [Media Sub Type] based on folder—so that can then be used to distinguish series from movies, for example—will provide a less "automatic" result than defining views based on folder directly.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:05:17 pm »

Any window that can grow too large should have automatically appearing scrollbars.

However, an easy workaround would be to move those folders to a separate basefolder (named e.g. Boxsets, TV series, ...) and have only one rule that excludes the basefolder. The rule would be automatically correct when new stuff is added under that basefolder.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:43:13 am »

Unless they're dealing with rare exceptions,

don't think so, the list becomes quite crowded with some "or" and "ands" and "contain"..in combination with modifiers you are smoked...

i have a lot of those queries..
MT5FR

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:01:54 pm »

I'm not disputing the fact a scrollbar should appear—that's a bug. But I have difficulty imagining the circumstances in which a typical novice user would need to use them. Can you provide a relevant example?

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:33 pm »

Can you provide a relevant example?

why ?..

the issue is that you can't press ok since you can't scroll down if you're question is to big, i've reported this for MC13 and now it's get "reported" again and maybe matt will have a look at it some day..
MT5FR

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 02:47:13 pm »

the issue is...

The fact you hijacked the topic to complain about a bug that hasn't been addressed doesn't make this the issue. My original post attempted to advise wittykitty on a matter clearly more relevant to the situation described. I'm sorry you don't think my characterization of long rule lists as "rare exceptions" is appropriate, but it wasn't addressed to you.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:51:31 pm »

It can also cause a crash.

Just for kicks, I tried marko's filenames rule as a smartlist rule (I know, it is not intended to be a smartlist):

if(isequal([media type],audio,1),if(isequal([album artist (auto)], /(Multiple Artists/), 1),[track #] - [artist] - [name],[track #] - [name]),if(isequal([media type],image,1),if(isequal([type],album art,1),[album] /([keywords]/) ~ [dimensions],[name]),if(isequal([type],television,1),if(isequal([episode],unknown,8),[name],if(isequal([name],S0,8),Episode [Episode],[Episode] - [name])),if(isequal([type],movies,8),if(isequal([track #],00,8),[name],[name] #[track #]), if(isequal([type],music,8),[artist] - [name]if(isequal([duration],unknown,8),,/ /(Length - replace([duration],:,.)/)),[name]))

I pasted it in the rule box and pressed OK. It created a window that cannot be closed or canceled gracefully (see the attached screenshot). The only apparent way to get rid of it is to press the X button (top right). That causes an immediate, reproducible crash.

The last three lines of the log:
0703453: 2428: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0703469: 2428: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0703469: 2428: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 273, wParam: 1, lParam: 787326, Window class:
MC 15.0.174

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up