INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to load remote library- no network activity  (Read 3040 times)

akmed

• Recent member
  • It's better to burn out, than to fade away....
Unable to load remote library- no network activity
« on: March 26, 2011, 05:57:51 pm »

Hi, I have a strange issue that has been vexing me for a week.
When I originally upgraded to MC 16 I did so on 3 computers, 1 is the media library server, the other 2 would just connect to that library (a desktop and laptop).

With MC 16 the Laptop connects just fine to the server, using either the access key when I'm out of the house, or the IP port 52199 when at home.
At first the desktop was connecting fine as well, but now is can't find the media server and won't load the library.

On the desktop i've tried using the access key and direct IP with port 52199 and either method almost immediately tell me the library cannot be loaded. This happened with 16.0.39 and now 16.0.55 as well. 

When trying to load the library I've been running a protocol sniffer in the background to see what packets go out on the wire, thinking it might be a network issue (I can ping the library server fine and map drives and do other things over the network).  The strange thing is, when I try to load the library, MC16 doesn't put any packets on the wire, none.  I only have one active network interface so it's not like they are going out somewhere else.

I did one more test, I setup the desktop as a media server and tried having the laptop connect to it, worked just fine.

Any ideas?  Windows firewall is disabled, AVG resident shield anti virus is ignoring jrworker.exe and jrservice.exe.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Unable to load remote library- no network activity
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »

Make sure the server isn't running the MC15 Library Server.  Disable automatic startup of Media Server in MC15.

A firewall is a possibility. 

akmed

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:38:53 pm »

the server is definitely not running 15, but even before that the client machine isn't even putting anything on the network, no request for IP:52199 or anything, it's as if MC16 doesn't know it is on a networked machine.

Windows firewall isn't running, only AVG but there is no firewall with that software.  Other ideas?  Oh, I've fully reinstalled MC16 on the client, deleted registry and everything.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »

Did you try generating a new Access Key?  That key should work from inside or outside.

In the same part of options, there is a test you could try.

Deleting the registry settings is probably not a good idea.

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:56:40 am »

welcome to the party....I am facing similar issues.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62708.0

In my case everything worked fine with MC15 clients and server.  Only upgrading to MC16 and I started to have the problems.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 08:05:39 pm »

Check out my topic here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62178.msg416989#msg416989

I was having the same issues and only after deleting IE's saved passwords did it work again.

akmed

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 07:12:03 pm »

FIXED IT

(at least for my issue...)

No matter what I did, MC would not load a remote media library.

I wondered if MC knew how to access anything on the network so I did the following:

1) Went to Services & Plug Ins
2) Chose any remote service, like Amazon.com
3) MC prompted with an IE-like warning: "The webpage you requested is not available offline.  To view this page, click Connect."  with 2 buttons- "Connect" or "Stay Offline"
4) I chose "Connect" and the Amazon page came up
5) I went to File->Library and tried to load the remote library
6) Success- it loaded right up.

Now I don't use IE normally on this machine so all I can speculate is that IE got set to "work offline" and MC read that option and didn't think it had any way to get to the network.

I was able to replicate this problem by setting IE offline again, closing MC, re-opening MC, and it had the same problem unable to load a remote library.

Hope this helps others, it baffled me for a few weeks (Like I said, I don't use IE and wish MC didn't rely IE for it's networking parameters)

maid

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 03:04:48 pm »

Can someone please explain to me what the benefits(if any) of using Server client setup, other than accessing the library over the network which I do.
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 12:37:34 am »

Can someone please explain to me what the benefits(if any) of using Server client setup, other than accessing the library over the network which I do.

if you run a local library over the network, there can only be one user, the second user will get a read only library
MT5FR

maid

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 12:58:27 am »

So the Benefits are both can edit at the same time?

Is this easy to set up? Is there instructions in the Wiki?

Cheers

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 01:03:49 am »

So the Benefits are both can edit at the same time?
Is this easy to set up? Is there instructions in the Wiki?
Cheers

yes, sort of..you edit locally then upload tag changes..you can start here http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server
MT5FR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 11:48:42 am »

FIXED IT

(at least for my issue...)

No matter what I did, MC would not load a remote media library.

I wondered if MC knew how to access anything on the network so I did the following:

1) Went to Services & Plug Ins
2) Chose any remote service, like Amazon.com
3) MC prompted with an IE-like warning: "The webpage you requested is not available offline.  To view this page, click Connect."  with 2 buttons- "Connect" or "Stay Offline"
4) I chose "Connect" and the Amazon page came up
5) I went to File->Library and tried to load the remote library
6) Success- it loaded right up.

Now I don't use IE normally on this machine so all I can speculate is that IE got set to "work offline" and MC read that option and didn't think it had any way to get to the network.

I was able to replicate this problem by setting IE offline again, closing MC, re-opening MC, and it had the same problem unable to load a remote library.

Hope this helps others, it baffled me for a few weeks (Like I said, I don't use IE and wish MC didn't rely IE for it's networking parameters)

Coming in 16.0.64 and later:
Fixed: If Internet Explorer was set to 'Work Offline', it would not be possible to connect to a library server.

The basic internet layer on Windows (WinInet) is shared between IE and lots of other programs, including Media Center.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

maid

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 08:02:30 pm »

Coming in 16.0.64 and later:
Fixed: If Internet Explorer was set to 'Work Offline', it would not be possible to connect to a library server.

The basic internet layer on Windows (WinInet) is shared between IE and lots of other programs, including Media Center.
Is there any other benefits as I am the only one that does edits now.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:11 pm »

Sorry if this is out of place for me as I am a new user of MC but...

I have 4 computers which I can play music out of. So the server client configuration allows me to...

1) Maintain only one library and share it with the other computers.

2) Lets me control what is playing on the other computers from any PC, or link them and play the same music on all of them.

3) and this one I really like....  This summer while sitting on my patio I will be able to cue up songs from my laptop that will play on my living room reciever, that will play out of its Zone 2 output to my outdoor speakers on the patio. So pick a song on the Laptop and it plays where I am at.

I hope that helps a bit, and I am sure there are plenty of other reasons people use this...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up