INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Assorted' Artists and related issues  (Read 4949 times)

pierre.goyette

• Recent member
'Assorted' Artists and related issues
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:26:27 pm »

I ripped some CDs which are multiple artists CDs. The CDs were not in the online database so I entered all the track information and they ripped correctly. They were placed as 'Assorted' artists properly. I then realized I improperly named the Album and need to change the name. When doing so, in the Library -> Rename, MC16 decided that they were not multiple artists despite the proper option being checked and wanted to rename (and move) the files all over the place.

1) I don't understand how to force MC to know that a CD is multiple artists and therefore set the fields properly.

2) I inserted a CD which was previously known (not from internet CDDB) and had bad info. I looked all over for the famous CDPLAYER.INI but was unable to find it so I could clear the bad info. Where is the local info stored and how does one CLEAR some bad entries for a CD ?

I've searched around but little info is available on describing how to clear local CDDB info... All help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Pierre

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: 'Assorted' Artists and related issues
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:44:20 pm »

For various artists albums, set your Artists to each track artist.  Leave Album Artist empty.

Once you have the tags correct in MC, then you can use MC to move the physical files based upon rules.

MC will use Assorted when albums have a mixture of track artists, but no overriding Album Artist.

When you rip the CD, enter individual track artists for various artists discs.  Otherwise, click the checkbox at the bottom of the rip dialog, and enter only an Album Artist.

The file cdplayer.ini is an old CD database, and may be used by other programs, but not MC unless you tell it to (via an "import from cdplayer.ini").  Don't worry about trying to find this file; instead, update the Online Database via MC (right click the CD in Drives and Devices).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pierre.goyette

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »

MrC,

Thanks. This is what I understood.

However, I had a CD which was not know by the internet cddb, so I entered all the track information with the artist for each track. I ripped the CD and all was fine. The Album Artist field was blank and the 'Album Artist (auto)' shows '(Multiple Artists)'.  Then, I selected the files and changed the Album name (I added "CD01" at the end) so that the title was something like "this album CD01". Then I went to Library Tools -? Rename, Move & Copy Files to move the files to the correct folder location. My music is stored as C:\Music\Artist\Album\xxx.mp3.  I have the 'Rename' option and the Directories and Filename options are chosen with the correct templates.   The problem is that it wanted to move all the files from C:\Music\Assorted\album\xxx to C:\Music\artist\album\xxx and basically was going to move each song out of a common album folder to each independant artist folder which is wrong.  I had the "Use 'Assorted' for [Artist] on multi-artist albums" checked.

So, I do not understand why MC16 did not recognize that these were multi-artist songs and not move them all over the place...

On my related question, if I know that MC16 has a possibly bad library entry, is there a simple way to clear an entry for a given album, artist, song, etc... ?

Thanks

MrC

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:47:53 pm »

Save yourself some trouble. Let MC help you.

1) Remove the CD01 from the album title.
2) Place 1 in the Disc # field for each track on disc 1.
3) Rename using the following (example) directories Rule:

[album artist (auto)]\If(IsEmpty([Disc #],1), [Album], [Album] CD [Disc #])

This will place multiple artists albums in the directory called (Multiple Artists).  You can of course modify the rule to place them another common directory, or you can use the "Use 'Assorted' for [Artist] on multi-artist albums" instead of using Album Artist (auto) above.

It will also append the disc # to the title for you under the artists folders.

See images to see that the checkbox works, but you have to use [Artist].

You can rip the same way, so that discs are automatically located into the correct folder.  To do this, don't rip immediately using the CD dialog that pops up, instead open the tag section of the action window and set the disc # field before the rip.

Setup your Options->File Location->Audio->Folder rule as above, then rips will go where you want.

When you ask about MC having a bad entry, are you referring to the track info that is found online when you enter a CD?  If so, just update the track info to correct in your panes, and then right click the CD under Drives and Devices and Submit to Online Database.

btw. MC and MJ use YADB, not CDDB.

This might be useful: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Copy_%28Rip%29_CDs_to_Your_Computer

pierre.goyette

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:24:14 pm »

MrC,

Thanks for the macro. I redid all my Multiple Artists CDs, fixed the Disc # and moved them all easily to a single folder. That being said, a few last questions:

1) If I have a single file (xxx.mp3) which represents multiple artists and I want it stored in the "(Multiple Artists)" folder, is there a better way than changing the Album Artist to "(Multiple Artists)" ?

2) If for whatever reason, I insert a CD and (without being connected to the Internet), some names pop up which are incorrect in some way. What is the best way to have MC forget any info about that CD ?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:42:56 pm »

Good, sounds like you're on your way!

If you want to have multiple artists for a given track, you can create a new database field (Options->Library & Folders->Manage Library Fields...), say called Artists (note the added 's' for plural).  Create this as a list type.  Then, in your rename rules, add an if-then-else case for dealing with how to rename when a track's Artists field is empty/non-empty.  When non-empty, you can place it inside your (Multiple Artists) folder.  Otherwise, just store it under [Artist].

If you truly want MC to forget about the CD, you'll have to delete the CD track entries from MC's internal CD database.  These can be viewed by creating a custom view whose files are filtered by limiting to the CD database (see Included Files: Set rules for file display... inside the view Customize dialog, and set the Modify Results pulldown to Limit database to CD.  Find the CD's tracks within the view and delete them.)

davidleebjr

Just a YADB Question for JRiver Developers
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 05:01:46 am »

Thank you for an excellent program...

I do have only one question after referring to many posts and seeing  "No we will not implement that Feature"  "No this will not be changed"  "No we're happy with YADB" ...

With all the numerous requests to implement a "" USER CHOICE ""  Tag lookup database.....  :

Why are J River Developers so adamant and resolute about not providing its users an option to use a database of their choice?   Forgive my ignorance, but I cannot understand the concept behind this unwillingness to cater to the customer?. 

I understand the feature will not be added...  but can someone please explain to me why.     Short of my guestimate that you expect users to purchase your software, perform the tag editing, and import them into a pristine yadb database...     If the consumer is paying for the software...  can someone please explain to me why this feature won't be implemented?

Thanks,

David B

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:43:21 am »

MC uses YADB, then if it doesn't find anything, it uses FreeDB.

While we might like to do more, we don't have the resources.  We have a long list of things we would like to do.

Short of my guestimate that you expect users to purchase your software, perform the tag editing, and import them into a pristine yadb database...
We don't expect anything.  If what JRiver offers isn't good enough for you, I imagine you'll try something else.

wraith

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 04:28:03 am »

Hi guys,

As with Pierre, I've also been having this issue where MC does not recognize multi-artist cd's. It appears to be a problem across several version of MC.

I do not seem to be able to find any common thread. In a number of scenarios using various artist albums where I've tried:
* Ensuring all tracks are present and consecutively labelled;
* Album name is same for all tracks;
* Song names and artists are entered and correct for each track;
* Disc numbers are entered in all songs for those that are multi-disc compilations;
* Cleared the "Album Artist" field for all tracks

it will still spread the CD out over artists on some occasions but group them under "Assorted" on other occasions. Entering "(Multiple Artists)" in "Album Artist" does appear to have any bearing on the problem.

The use of expressions in the folder is a great way of resolving the problem (I didn't know one could use expressions and will use them now) but is only a work-around and doesn't resolve the query of why MC doesn't recognize multiple artist cd's when the Assorted button is selected.

For your consideration

P.S. Your team has done well designing an excellent media program! I've recommended it to a few friends and they've also converted! :)
System: Intel Quad Core
            6Gb RAM
MC: 20.0.080
Pages: [1]   Go Up