INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a problem with showing only forced subtitles in MC?  (Read 15802 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is there a problem with showing only forced subtitles in MC?
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 10:46:21 am »

A subtitle problem is fixed in build 178:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66697.0

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 12:53:29 pm »

Fixed: VOB subtitle streams that were resized independently of the movie could appear in the wrong location.
Yahoo!! It works perfectly...:)

Many thanks, Matt! And both the size and shift functions work great, too!

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 01:12:11 pm »

Now if I am not pushing too much, could I make one more request?  8)   Here is a quote from Nev earlier in this thread:
There is two (or three) types of forced subtitles:

1)
The forced subtitles are mixed with the normal subtitles into the same track, and every forced subtitle frame is marked specifically as a forced frame.
This is the type LAV Splitter can automatically process, and filter the forced subs from that stream.

Examples: Avatar

2)
There is two tracks. One with full subs (including forced), and one with only forced subs. Sadly the forced frames are not tagged like in type 1.
For this type, LAV Splitter cannot do anything for you, sadly. Blu-rays hide the information which stream is the right one deep in the menu system.

Examples. LOTRO:EE

3)
Forced subs are directly burned into the image.
Obviously, nothing to do here, but thats also rather rare.
From this, we can see that case #2 is the only "problem" forced subtitle track, as LAV Splitter will take care of case #1 and Case #3 is locked.

My request for Matt is to take care of case #2 so that MC16 will detect the forced flag on an entire stream that is flagged as forced and will automatically display that track. Again, you can use the same sample that you already have, as that sample contains 3 subtitle tracks:

Track #1 is resized .IDX format and flagged as "default=yes" and "forced=yes"
Track #2 is regular PGS (.SUP format) and flagged as "default=no" and "forced=no"
Track #3 is regular .IDX format and flagged as "default=no" and "forced=no"

What I would like to see is to have MC16 leave all subtitles to off (by default) and to automatically display forced subs when it finds a stream containing the forced=yes flag. To me it seems logical that if I left subtitles set to "Forced Subtitles (Auto)" that I would get this behavior, but currently I am not. As things stand now I must choose the forced subtitle stream manually. This is not a killer if it can't be done (as I can get around it by using MC16's "remember the last setting" feature), but it sure would be nice to have forced subtitles show up on the screen without any intervention by me.

Thanks for listening to me and considering my requests.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 01:46:07 pm »

Glad to hear the fix is working.  Thanks again for your help.

As for the request, we are attempting to select forced subtitle streams by default.

With the sample file you provided, Media Center defaults to the selection "Sub 1 (forced) [eng] (vobsub) [default,forced]", which seems correct.  Do you have a sample where this isn't working as expected?

You can test default stream selection by clearing the 'Playback Info' field (Action Window > Tag, etc.) for a video and then playing it again.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2011, 05:13:24 pm »

As for the request, we are attempting to select forced subtitle streams by default.

With the sample file you provided, Media Center defaults to the selection "Sub 1 (forced) [eng] (vobsub) [default,forced]", which seems correct.
Ahhh....<light goes on>  Now I get it...:)

I was expecting MC16 to show "Forced Subtitles (Auto)" when I right clicked on the sample video, but instead MC16 is defaulting directly to the correct forced stream. I tested this with a number of other videos and it is working PERFECTLY...my error.

So what is the selection "Forced Subtitles (Auto) for? Let me guess...this will play back forced subtitles automatically when the subs are mixed in with the regular subs (Nev's case #1), right?

Now that these minor issues are straightened out, Matt's subtitle engine is the best subtitle engine I have used with ANY program...period! His engine observes the forced flags properly (and I assume the default flags as well, though I will have to make up a special .MKV to test it), it displays both .IDX and PGS subs (other engines I have used support only one or the other), and it has great size and shift controls.

Great work, Matt!!

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 07:52:12 pm »

Any thoughts on the new screwy way Subtitles are being handled in some of the newer blurays (like the complete Star Wars set)?  There are no traditional 'forced' subtitles and the 'correct' track varies for each.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2011, 10:26:00 am »

The new XMen movie also has the non-forced forced subtitles (like Star Wars).  Seems this is the latest trend, need some way in MC to set the 'preferred/default' subtitle track manually for these.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up