INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: My River - Media Center Remote (for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad)  (Read 172757 times)

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
Re: My River - Media Center Remote (for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad)
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2012, 07:16:57 am »

is medium 256?

Thanks
Patrick
Medium Bitrate = 128 kbits

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2012, 07:27:35 am »

also,

What if you are playing to the device while at home (on the same network as the files), how can I make it play full resolution FLACs?

Is this possible?  Or does it already?  If so, how does it know where I am?

Thanks again!

Patrick
My River streams the same way as WebPlay/Gizmo and it always uses 128 mp3, as far as I know it is not configurable, in other words FLACs is always converted.

Michael

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2012, 11:06:06 am »

Thanks Michael...  I really appreciate the info.

well that sucks.  Back to UPNP and PlugPlayer i guess.

When streaming over my own home network, I can easily handle FLACs at full resolution.  I will simply be forced to use UPNP again.

Since when is 128 "medium"?  Isn't that like the crappiest bitrate mp3 realistically used?

Cheers,
patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2012, 11:08:25 am »

Medium Bitrate = 128 kbits

There is the source of your horrible sound quality goatherder.  Although I would assume you to be of the opinion that [good] MP3s are indistinguishable from FLACs.  Good to hear you using your ears ;)
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2012, 03:11:20 pm »

All audio files are converted to medium-bitrate MP3 if needed when streaming, just like WebPlay.
I haven't experienced any warbly sound my self, are you using latest version of JRiver?

Michael

Yes - latest version of MC.

It actually sounds even lower than 128K TBH - and we're not talking about listening thru some highfalutin' speaker system but even thru the iPad speakers (which might, actually, emphasise low-bitrate artifacts due to the tinny upper mids). Is there any way to jack up the bitrate at all?

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2012, 04:04:59 am »

Since when is 128 "medium"?  Isn't that like the crappiest bitrate mp3 realistically used.

You are absolutely right, I was just "quoting" Matt.......

Currently medium-bitrate MP3 is always used for WebPlay.

Hopefully this will become more configurable in the future.

Gizmo always uses 128 mp3.  It is currently not configurable.

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2012, 04:15:27 am »

Yes - latest version of MC.

It actually sounds even lower than 128K TBH - and we're not talking about listening thru some highfalutin' speaker system but even thru the iPad speakers (which might, actually, emphasise low-bitrate artifacts due to the tinny upper mids). Is there any way to jack up the bitrate at all?
Have you tried streaming with WebPlay/Gizmo, if yes is the sound quality the same?

I'm afraid there is no way to improve the sound quality in current version, but I will investigate if there is some way to improve it for a future release.

Michael

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2012, 06:40:41 am »

I have done a little more research and I think that I'm able to get My River to stream to 320 mp3, I will try to implement it in next release.

Michael

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2012, 12:06:28 pm »

Thanks. 256K is a nice median bitrate I think for all-purpose use. The other thing it could be is crappy transcoding - does it use the LAME engine or something else? - but I could swear it's not even sounding like 128K right now with music. I mostly listen to my downloaded podcasts though using My River in the bath, so it's not a big deal. It just is annoying when I'm sitting somewhere with the iPad, want to casually listen to something through the headphone jack and can't really bring myself to due to the artifacts / low bitrate.

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2012, 02:11:28 pm »

Thanks. 256K is a nice median bitrate I think for all-purpose use.
For streaming I can only choose between Mp3 low = 64 kbit, Mp3 Medium = 128 kbit or Mp3 High = 320 kbit.

Next version, streaming will be in 320 ;)

The other thing it could be is crappy transcoding - does it use the LAME engine or something else?
I don't know if JRiver uses LAME for real time transcoding.... ?

Michael

maliceme

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #210 on: May 03, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »

Would love the option to suspend the iphone from "sleeping" while MyRiver is playing. Thanks!

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2012, 05:16:21 am »

Would love the option to suspend the iphone from "sleeping" while MyRiver is playing. Thanks!
I'll see what I can do.

Michael

Dan1970

• Recent member
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2012, 04:48:49 am »

Really nice update, thanks!

Especially the ability to see the ratings is really usefull for me.

One small thing I noticed is that when shortly tapping the cover art of the track playing, the rating stars always appear all grey in the overlay, even though the rating is for example 3 stars.

Thanks again!

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2012, 05:09:36 am »

One small thing I noticed is that when shortly tapping the cover art of the track playing, the rating stars always appear all grey in the overlay, even though the rating is for example 3 stars.
You are absolutely right I will fix this ASAP.

Michael

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2012, 08:02:38 pm »

AudioBear's network problem split here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72270.0

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2012, 05:42:42 am »

If you have problems after the update, please try the following......

Remove My River from your device and reinstall it.
  • Touch and hold any application icon on the Home Screen until the icons start to wiggle.
  • Tap the "x" in the corner of the application you want to delete.
  • Tap Delete to remove the application and all of its data from your device.
  • Press the Home button.
  • Go to the App Store.
  • Search for the application and then download it again.

Michael

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2012, 04:08:11 am »

Would you consider almost guaranteed crashes on every run (at variable lengths of playback) such a problem?

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2012, 05:03:07 am »

Would you consider almost guaranteed crashes on every run (at variable lengths of playback) such a problem?
Yes any problem..... please try the remove/reinstall thing.

Hottuna

• Recent member
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2012, 06:23:06 am »

Really nice update, thanks!

Especially the ability to see the ratings is really usefull for me.

Thanks again!

Ditto on the appreciation for the latest update.  I love the ability to change ratings, the tag viewing option, wide screen view of left pane and 64kbps playback which is good enough on the train and doesn't skip or drop off as it used to when I hit 3G low reception areas. Great job!

P.S. bring able to save separate settings for home and remote use is excellent as well.

Yuval

« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2012, 07:32:50 am »

I've installed the iPad version. Seems very nice but I have some problem or it's a known bug:
When I browse to albums in larger thumbnail grid mode the covers shown does not match the albums names.
When I dbl click the cover it opens the album (by the name) and shows the correct photo cover and songs.

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:33 pm »

I've installed the iPad version. Seems very nice but I have some problem or it's a known bug:
When I browse to albums in larger thumbnail grid mode the covers shown does not match the albums names.
When I dbl click the cover it opens the album (by the name) and shows the correct photo cover and songs.

I guess the cover caching is somehow messed up. You should be able to resolve it by restarting JRiver Media Server and My River.

Double Tap the HOME Button and you will see all the applications that are currently open.
Press and hold the My River application until you see the minus sign, Tap the minus Sign to close My River.
Tap the Home Button and you will be back to the Home Screen, restart My River.

Michael

lasker98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »

I just updated to the latest version from app store on my iPod Touch. Now I don't have cover art in now playing screen. I also have no small thumbnails to the left of the tracks in the playing now playlist screen. All these were just working fine before upgrading. I see small thumbnail covers displayed correctly in other screens.

Any suggestions? If not, is it possible to uninstall this version and get back to previous version?

Bill

BayensF

• World Citizen
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2012, 01:28:47 am »

Hello all,

I have an idea that is a today need for me and maybe also for some other people.

Could it be possible to have 2 buttons that can activate a batch file on the HTPC. This to activate a relay board that is switching my amplifier on and off. Even better if this button is available for every configured zone.

It should look like someting as speakers on and off.

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2012, 07:46:38 am »

I just updated to the latest version from app store on my iPod Touch. Now I don't have cover art in now playing screen. I also have no small thumbnails to the left of the tracks in the playing now playlist screen. All these were just working fine before upgrading. I see small thumbnail covers displayed correctly in other screens.

Any suggestions? If not, is it possible to uninstall this version and get back to previous version?

Bill
Latest version has high resolution images in the Playing now screens.
I can see that there has been some issues with JRemote and high resolution images as well.
I will try to implement a work around for this ASAP, without the high resolution images.

Michael

phillil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2012, 03:39:45 pm »

Firstly, thanks for such an awesome piece of software. Sure jriver is great but this app has truly revolutionised the way i listen to music and even the family can use it!!

Secondly, there is just own tweak that would actually make this perfect.

Is it possible to add the star rating when browsing tracks for example on an album??

I mostly play random smart lists or whole albums, but sometimes want to pick just my favourite tracks, but I am hope less with remembering track names, so displaying the star rating next to the song title would be great.

Also I suspect a more tricky request, I don't suppose it's possible to modify and save th rating from my river.?

Anyway, once again thanks for a truly amazing app simple but it just does everything so right,!!

Lee

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2012, 03:58:48 am »

Firstly, thanks for such an awesome piece of software. Sure jriver is great but this app has truly revolutionised the way i listen to music and even the family can use it!!

Secondly, there is just own tweak that would actually make this perfect.

Is it possible to add the star rating when browsing tracks for example on an album??

I mostly play random smart lists or whole albums, but sometimes want to pick just my favourite tracks, but I am hope less with remembering track names, so displaying the star rating next to the song title would be great.

Also I suspect a more tricky request, I don't suppose it's possible to modify and save th rating from my river.?

Anyway, once again thanks for a truly amazing app simple but it just does everything so right,!!

Lee
You can already add rating on tracks, album rating is not possible (yet), and the rating is saved in MC.

Michael

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2012, 04:12:04 am »

Hello all,

I have an idea that is a today need for me and maybe also for some other people.

Could it be possible to have 2 buttons that can activate a batch file on the HTPC. This to activate a relay board that is switching my amplifier on and off. Even better if this button is available for every configured zone.

It should look like someting as speakers on and off.
The app is using JRiver's web-service, and I don't think it's possible to run a batch file from the web-service.

Michael

fredhammersmith

• World Citizen
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2012, 11:24:15 am »

Oh wow. I was trying to make Gizmo work, then I saw this thread.
2$ later, i am in heaven!
(I'm locked to iOs 4.1 so can't use many other solutions)

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2012, 12:26:13 pm »

I have submitted a new version to the App Store today with an high resolution images on/off option.
This will hopefully help those of you that have problems with no cover art (set it to off).

Michael

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2012, 02:45:50 pm »

Thanks, Michael. I appreciate your continued development of My River and your responsiveness to user requests.
Rich

phillil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2012, 05:55:15 pm »

You can already add rating on tracks, album rating is not possible (yet), and the rating is saved in MC.

Michael

I'm not sure how, but the tracks now show stars against them.......!!! If by magic

But if a I change a rating it doesn't save? Maybe a bug on my machine...

phillil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2012, 12:26:53 pm »

Hi Michael,

rating songs from myriver definitely isn't working for me. Is there something I need to do in jriver??

Many thanks
Lee

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2012, 01:29:40 pm »

Hi Michael,

rating songs from myriver definitely isn't working for me. Is there something I need to do in jriver??

Many thanks
Lee
Next release just submitted to the app store will hopefully fix this.
Normally the apps get approved in approx. 7 days after submitting, so maybe next week.......

Michael

phillil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:30 pm »

Next release just submitted to the app store will hopefully fix this.
Normally the apps get approved in approx. 7 days after submitting, so maybe next week.......

Michael

That's amazing.

Thanks Michael, it's greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware, but your app gets a mention in a super high end amplifier (Classe Audio) manufacturers recommeded PC audio setup.

They recommend using JRiver along with your app for streaming via PC to thier new £4500 pre-amplifier (power amp is an extra £5000)

http://www.classeaudio.com/downloads/pdfs/CP-800-AppleWindowsGuide-final.pdf

Great work!!

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2012, 02:57:58 pm »

That's amazing.

Thanks Michael, it's greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware, but your app gets a mention in a super high end amplifier (Classe Audio) manufacturers recommeded PC audio setup.

They recommend using JRiver along with your app for streaming via PC to thier new £4500 pre-amplifier (power amp is an extra £5000)

http://www.classeaudio.com/downloads/pdfs/CP-800-AppleWindowsGuide-final.pdf

Great work!!

Thanks... nice reading :)

Just realized that rating is only possible if you enable authentication in MC, in fact it's already working in current version ::)

Once enabled you will get prompted for Username and Password in My River.

Michael

phillil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2012, 03:11:37 am »

Thanks... nice reading :)

Just realized that rating is only possible if you enable authentication in MC, in fact it's already working in current version ::)

Once enabled you will get prompted for Username and Password in My River.

Michael

WOW - now works perfectly.

Will I be asked to enter user name and password each time MyRiver loads?? If so can this be automated?? I know it kind of defeats the object of authentication but the rating feature is something that I will use heavily.

I always start off a new album as 3 stars, then as I become accustomed to it like to tweak the ratings up or down. This is then useful if I want random play but only for example 3 star and ablve.

But once again thanks for the great work!!

Lee

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2012, 04:28:13 am »

Will I be asked to enter user name and password each time MyRiver loads?? If so can this be automated?? I know it kind of defeats the object of authentication but the rating feature is something that I will use heavily.
You will only be asked first time, or if you change the password/username in MC.

Michael

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #237 on: June 08, 2012, 05:22:47 pm »

Michael,
I may have missed this in previous comments, but is it possible to see a list of individual music tracks in the "playing now" screen in the iPhone version of MyRiver?  If not, is that possible in the iPad version? 
Thanks,
Rich

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2012, 09:20:05 am »

Michael,
I may have missed this in previous comments, but is it possible to see a list of individual music tracks in the "playing now" screen in the iPhone version of MyRiver?  If not, is that possible in the iPad version? 
Thanks,
Rich
In both versions you can see the list of songs currently in the "Playing now list".
Take a look at the screenshots.

Michael

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2012, 01:32:52 pm »

In both versions you can see the list of songs currently in the "Playing now list".
Take a look at the screenshots.

Michael

Thanks for your reply, Michael.  I'm afraid I did not pose my question clearly.  I knew you could see individual track lists in the Playing Now thumbnail view, but is it possible to have a larger (non-thumbnail) view of album art with individual cuts displayed simultaneously?

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2012, 02:49:35 am »

Thanks for your reply, Michael.  I'm afraid I did not pose my question clearly.  I knew you could see individual track lists in the Playing Now thumbnail view, but is it possible to have a larger (non-thumbnail) view of album art with individual cuts displayed simultaneously?
This is only possible in the iPad version (see below).

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2012, 10:20:03 am »

Thanks, Michael.

lasker98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2012, 07:16:53 am »

"Full album being added to playlist as shuffled."

I rarely (if ever) play full albums with My River but last night I noticed when adding a full album to play, it was added as shuffled, not in original track order. I checked J River to make sure it wasn't on shuffle mode. It wasn't. I tried multiple times and every time it was added shuffled, but added in exact same track sequence each time, even though shuffled. No matter how I added the album to the playlist, "add to end", "add as next to play", "play", all methods added as shuffled. "Play (shuffled)" worked correctly, adding as shuffled.

I tried JRemote and it worked correctly first attempt and on subsequent attempts.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? I'm running My River app on IPod Touch.

Thanks,

Bill

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2012, 04:57:30 pm »

"Full album being added to playlist as shuffled."

I rarely (if ever) play full albums with My River but last night I noticed when adding a full album to play, it was added as shuffled, not in original track order. I checked J River to make sure it wasn't on shuffle mode. It wasn't. I tried multiple times and every time it was added shuffled, but added in exact same track sequence each time, even though shuffled. No matter how I added the album to the playlist, "add to end", "add as next to play", "play", all methods added as shuffled. "Play (shuffled)" worked correctly, adding as shuffled.

I tried JRemote and it worked correctly first attempt and on subsequent attempts.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? I'm running My River app on IPod Touch.

Thanks,

Bill
Is the detail view of the album out off order as well (e.g. same shuffled order)?
Have you made any customized views with special sorting?

Michael

lasker98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2012, 07:37:59 pm »

Have you made any customized views with special sorting?

Thanks Michael! That's exactly what the problem was. I had been playing around with a custom view because of a problem I'm having in JRemote with how search results are being displayed for tracks that have more than one result with same name. Once I deleted the special sorting from the custom view, albums are now added in correct track sequence.

I'll go on record, as an owner of My River, JRemote, Bit Remote and Web Gizmo, to say My River is by far the standout performer for me. I use it on an IPod Touch strictly for remote control of audio playback.

Thanks again,

Bill

drhyoung

• Recent member
« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2012, 11:11:46 pm »

Hi,

Great app.

A couple of questions I can't find answers for -

1..How do I delete a Server from My River ?
    (I have no problem adding them, but I can't find, the no doubt obvious, way to delete one.)

2..I would like to invoke My River from my iRule app. It wants to know the "Custom URL Scheme" that My River uses.
    I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know of it ?

Thanks,

David

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2012, 03:04:57 am »

1..How do I delete a Server from My River ?
    (I have no problem adding them, but I can't find, the no doubt obvious, way to delete one.)
Long tap on server enables a delete button.

2..I would like to invoke My River from my iRule app. It wants to know the "Custom URL Scheme" that My River uses.
    I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know of it ?
I'm afraid there is no custom URL schemes configured for My River, I will see if it's possible to add one.

Michael

drhyoung

• Recent member
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2012, 03:28:37 pm »

Hi Michael

Thanks v m.

David

maliceme

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2012, 04:18:40 pm »

Michael,

Firstly, I LOVE this app. It is simply indispensable for me now.

Which leads to my problem. Over the last few days, it has started cutting out before the end of songs - sometimes skipping to the next song, and sometimes just dropping dead.

I've compared streaming to MyRiver vs streaming to my laptop running MC client, and I'm not seeing the problem on the client. This makes me suspect it's not a matter of signal strength.

Any clues?

SvendDellepude

• World Citizen
« Reply #249 on: June 25, 2012, 06:18:00 am »

Michael,

Firstly, I LOVE this app. It is simply indispensable for me now.

Which leads to my problem. Over the last few days, it has started cutting out before the end of songs - sometimes skipping to the next song, and sometimes just dropping dead.

I've compared streaming to MyRiver vs streaming to my laptop running MC client, and I'm not seeing the problem on the client. This makes me suspect it's not a matter of signal strength.

Any clues?
Weak or low Wi-Fi signal strength could result in the behavior you describe.
iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Michael
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up