INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade to MC17 -- Questions and Answers  (Read 46298 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrade to MC17 -- Questions and Answers
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 07:45:53 pm »

Check your system date.

Hoho234

• Recent member
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »

I had no trouble finding and downloading MC17 people. Open your eyes. It's right there. It installed just fine and it did import MC16 settings. I have no problem running them both. I also have 14 and 15 installed. (don't ask why) They all work fine.
The only trouble I have is the PVD-Import plug-in. I can't get it to install on MC17. I think I had the same problem when I tried to install it in MC16. I forgot how I got it working though.
I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit) I tried to do the regedit thing but, I can't seem to locate pvdimport in the directories to change the 0's into 1's. I know some of you guys have no idea what I'm talking about. But, to those of you who do know, help me remember what the hell I forgot.

I found what I was looking for in regedit. It's listed in the Wow6432Node folder. I'll let know if I get to work.

PvdImport is working. I had to add the strings manually though.

rick.ca

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 10:55:06 pm »

The only trouble I have is the PVD-Import plug-in. I can't get it to install on MC17. I think I had the same problem when I tried to install it in MC16. I forgot how I got it working though.

See PVD & MC17.

koegz

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2011, 11:45:55 am »

Up graded to 17 from 16. down loaded my first blu-ray. Hit play, takes forever to load, then there is no video or sound. My music section works fine plays exsisting music down loads. what gives with the blu-rays? took forever to rip. any help out there? koegz

lascasas

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2011, 11:16:37 pm »

Purchased and downloaded MC17 using the "alternative method" for the upgrade price of $18.98 a while back. Decided I wanted to try the install today, but when I click on the installer I get the following message: Error restoring Media Center License: Unknown error. Suggestions? (Running Windows 7).

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2011, 10:45:09 am »

I just bought MC17 last night and had a question about activation.  I got my HTPC and another PC at home that does most of my ripping/encoding licensed, but I see in the email that you have 14 days to license the product.  I tend to reformat my computers fairly at least once a year, if not more depending on lots of circumstances.  Will I be able to activate MC17 if say in a month or two I reformat my computer, or my SSD takes another dump and I have to secure-erase it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2011, 10:48:51 am »

You have ten restores per year, and each one will give you an Install Key that lasts 14 days.  You won't normally run out.

Details are under "Purchase" above.

Thanks for your purchase.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2011, 10:49:15 am »

I just bought MC17 last night and had a question about activation.  I got my HTPC and another PC at home that does most of my ripping/encoding licensed, but I see in the email that you have 14 days to license the product.  I tend to reformat my computers fairly at least once a year, if not more depending on lots of circumstances.  Will I be able to activate MC17 if say in a month or two I reformat my computer, or my SSD takes another dump and I have to secure-erase it?

On purchase, you receive a permanent Registration Code.  This is a proof of purchase that can be used at any time to acquire a new Install Key.  The Install Key must be used within 14 days of its generation, but as long as you have the permanent Registration Code, you can get a new key by visiting the Restore Page https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi (more below).
MT5FR

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2011, 10:50:23 am »

You have ten restores per year, and each one will give you an Install Key that lasts 14 days.  You won't normally run out.

Details are under "Purchase" above.

Thanks for your purchase.

Thanks Jim.  I was actually just coming back here to delete my thread since I received the Restore email and now understand it.  Looks like I accidentally used one "restore" and am down to the cat's 9 lives.  lol

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
  • Being is Important......... being important is not
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2011, 09:14:18 am »

Quote from: JimH
If you have any version prior to MC16, you can upgrade now and receive an MC17 license that will work with MC16 or MC17

Does this mean if I only had MC12 and wanted to upgrade......... the price would be $19?
Just wondering, actually I have MC16, but havent had the time to learn and appreciate all its features!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2011, 09:17:01 am »

That's correct.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2011, 11:08:26 am »

I upgraded to MC17 without ever having read the forum about it, let alone installing it.  Would like an auto-renewal/auto-mrj-email ability!  Unbeatable price, of course.

Can't believe I started at MC 11.1, this is my seventh major MC revision.

lascasas

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2011, 11:47:03 am »

Re-post: Need help.

Purchased and downloaded MC17 using the "alternative method" for the upgrade price of $18.98 a while back. Decided I wanted to try the install today, but when I click on the installer I get the following message: Error restoring Media Center License: Unknown error. Suggestions? (Running Windows 7). Thanks.

lascasas

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2011, 03:05:36 pm »

Re-post: Need help.

Purchased and downloaded MC17 using the "alternative method" for the upgrade price of $18.98 a while back. Decided I wanted to try the install today, but when I click on the installer I get the following message: Error restoring Media Center License: Unknown error. Suggestions? (Running Windows 7). Thanks.

Never mind. I re-downloaded and installed w/o problems.

locke23

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2011, 12:16:50 am »

I just wanted to express my appreciation for the changes made in the last couple versions.  I just upgraded from MC15 to get Blu-Ray support and found that all the tweaking I couldn't do in the past can now be done.  Mostly, I wanted to have movie covers as thumbnails and better organization for TV series, and this latest version has done it beautifully, both in Standard View and Theater View.  They weren't really big issues, but this player is now exactly what I've wanted for a long time.  Thanks so much for the hard work!

Jeffrey

aRCLiGHT

• Recent member
  • What!?!?
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »

Jim,

Have to say, having been a long time MJ & MC owner, this is a bit frustrating.  I just upgraded in August and having to drop yet another $20 is hard to swallow.  I do agree there needs to be a cutoff, but what is that cutoff?  I received an email two weeks ago saying I had 15 days to upgrade.  So, from my perspective, I've purchased a product and in less than 60-ish days been asked to pay for a new upgrade.  That's pretty harsh by any standard.  6-months, a smaller pill to swallow, but most software packages I purchase typically come with at least a year of upgrade protection.

Just something to think about!  You folks do have a great product which is why I've stuck with it, but I do get the feeling of being nickel-dimed ever so often.  Keep up the great developing!

Cheers...

We have to cut it off on some date and October 1 is it. 

We begin to offer an upgrade license at a reduced price long before the next version is at a stable release status. 

If you buy each year when the new version goes into beta, MC will cost you about 37 cents a week.  Or around a cup of Starbuck's coffee every other month.

So you can buy it now for $18.98, or wait until later when it will be $26.98, or just stay with MC16.

I'm sorry if you don't feel that it's fair.
aRCLiGHT

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

I just upgraded in August and having to drop yet another $20 is hard to swallow.

Nobody is saying that you HAVE to upgrade.  MC16 will continue to work (and probably still be worked on) for a long, long time.

Merlocpm

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:05 am »

I just downloaded the latest MC17 beta version to try this morning.  I had a lockup trying to play a movie and was asked to re-install.  When I did and tried to start MC17 again, it said my trial period expired.  I clicked on the extend trial and received a code.  When I plugged that in, it now says that my 40 day trial period has extended.  Any ideas?

Riverbear

Media Editor Paste Mix
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2011, 07:50:19 pm »

I have been trying to use "paste mix" from media editor since Media Center 14. It crashes the program. It has never ever worked for me, not even one time. It always crashes the program. I've tried it in Media Center 14, 16 & 17. When are you going to fix this?

Here's what I am trying to do:
A song leads in with drums. The end of the song ends abruptly. I want to fade out the end of the song, and copy the drums from the beginning and paste them into the end and then have the drums fade out. I want the drums to start playing while the original song ending fades out. Media Editor locks up every single time I have ever tried to do this, with any version.

I have read the information on "paste mix" on JRiver's media center wiki site. It gives very minimal information (only 5 lines) and says nothing about whether or not the selection that is on the clipboard has to match the destination selection in size, or how it handles larger clipboard selections, smaller selections, etc... So, I'm not sure it even allows what i'm trying to do.

Some help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My system info:
HPG62 Notebook PC with Intel Core i3 CPU M370 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Total Memory: 4096 MB
Windows 7

wayneamurphy

• Recent member
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2011, 10:12:16 am »

I'm going to agree with some others.
I love MC, and look forward to new releases and new features.
But I upgraded already this year, and you are not rewarding some loyal customers that give you such good reviews.
It seems you are saying to those that use it the most and buy every release - that it is really better for us to not be as eager and perhaps buy every other upgrade.
You are telling us we have to pay the same whether we bought it in the fall, or a few years ago.
It is good you are providing those that have older versions an upgrade path - but you really should reward the keeners that loyally follow you closely.
$50 worth of upgrades on a $50 product should last 2 to 3 years, not just 1 year.

We have to cut it off on some date and October 1 is it. 

We begin to offer an upgrade license at a reduced price long before the next version is at a stable release status. 

If you buy each year when the new version goes into beta, MC will cost you about 37 cents a week.  Or around a cup of Starbuck's coffee every other month.

So you can buy it now for $18.98, or wait until later when it will be $26.98, or just stay with MC16.

I'm sorry if you don't feel that it's fair.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2011, 10:17:13 am »

You bought MC16 in February of this year.  Thank you.  

MC17 won't be at the same stage until sometime this spring.

Early upgrades were less than $20.  But you could skip a version or two if you like.

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 06:34:53 am »

Hi Friends, I cant install MC17 anymore - my 30 days period is finished.
I have an MC16 Licence and I would upgrade if I can solve my playing problems with AC3 files (pending since I bought MC16, on 15 and 14 no problems with this file type).
But when I´m not able to test the improovements in MC17 how should I proceede?

Thanks in advance

Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

wim

• Wim
Re: Upgrade to MC17 -- Trackinfo & Visualisation problems
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 07:10:08 am »

Hi,
I Installed MC17 next to my current version MC12 and am not able to set up the same playing now - track info display.
I'm using Nightlife skin + Push's Blue Steel II trackinfo with Spectrum Analyser>Stereo Visualisation.
It works well with MC12 but in MC17 the spectrum analyser is not displayed; only a blank section.
Is it a bug or do I have to change some settings?

http://www.imagedump.nl/img860/2876/82mc17.jpg

Marius C Cronje

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 11:29:01 am »

Hi,

I purchased and installed MC17 last night without any problems, though no sound through my stereo system (dCS Scarlatti 4 box,USB to Upsampler). The sound comes through the HTPC speakers. Cannot change to dCS Scarlatti in ASIO4ALL setup. Changed back to MC16 or Foobar, and all work as set up. Any ideas how to solve?

JetBlack

• World Citizen
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »

My email address has changed since the last time I upgraded. Where can I update my email address so I can participate in the upgrade price? the system only recognizes my old email address which was decommissioned by Comcast. Please help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 03:17:01 pm »

My email address has changed since the last time I upgraded. Where can I update my email address so I can participate in the upgrade price? the system only recognizes my old email address which was decommissioned by Comcast. Please help.
You can just download again, giving your new address.  Changing your forum address would also work.

vvcepheus7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2011, 09:23:53 am »

Is have mc16 and I want upgrate to mc17.

2 questions:

If I unistall mc16 and after I do a new clear installation of mc17. I can pay only the update? or I need pay all program?
If I format my pc can I install only mc17 and the key? this gives me problems? Is needed install the previous key of mc16 if I've formated my pc?

I want unistall mc16 and make a clear installation of mc17 without format. Can I do this paying only the upgrate?
Today, mc17 is beta or is stable?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2011, 03:31:09 pm »

You do not need to uninstall MC16. MC17 goes to separate program and application data folders and its settings are stored separately. You can fully uninstall MC16 anytime later.

The advantage of keeping MC16 installed is that MC17 can automatically import the media library data including playlists and statistics and most of the old settings (some of the settings have changed and may be reset.)

You can purchase the upgrade if you have MC16 installed and registered on the same OS instance.

Naturally the MC17 registration is always valid after you have purchased the upgrade. You can reformat, install Windows, install just MC17 and register it. The key file is valid only for 14 days (you probably already knew this), but you can get a new key here: https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

Today, mc17 is beta or is stable?

I'd say that MC17 is a stable beta, but from time to time a new or changed feature may be slightly buggy for a little while.

EDIT

In my opinion MC17 is not more buggy than MC16. MC17 has fixes to some minor problems that are still present in MC16.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

vvcepheus7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2011, 04:11:42 pm »

Thanks for information.

I will upgrate to mc17 but I wait for the next relase (not beta). I prefer this at have 2 programs in the same computer.
Thanks!

Jannesun

• Recent member
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2011, 05:58:36 am »

As my MC 16 is sluggish (maybe because I have over 700 000 files), and doesn't play videos at all in my older laptop, I would like to test a clean install of MC 17. HOW DO I DO A CLEAN INSTALL OF MC 17? (Yes, I have searched the forum for this advise already and could not find any.)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2011, 07:19:24 am »

HOW DO I DO A CLEAN INSTALL OF MC 17?

You can run the installer with the /NoUpgrade switch.

More info:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67516.msg453194#msg453194
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pilotbum

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2012, 01:35:51 am »

If ver 16 is purchased now will the serial work on 17 when the non-beta is released like previous versions? I installed 17 and all it did was lock up on my computer. Don't really want to deal with it until it's a little more ready.

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2012, 07:10:01 am »

Try again and let it go for a while.  MC17 is about as stable as MC16 now.

But the answer is yes, your MC17 license will work with either MC16 or MC17.

gwoolfolk

• Recent member
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2012, 07:19:24 pm »

kernel streaming setting stoped and I have no sound on this setting now.  ASIO works.  Is there any thing else I have to change to get sound back.  I rebooted and still no sound

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2012, 07:20:52 pm »

kernel streaming setting stoped and I have no sound on this setting now.  ASIO works.  Is there any thing else I have to change to get sound back.  I rebooted and still no sound

ASIO is recommended when it works:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Please start a new thread if you'd like to discuss / troubleshoot more.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »

ASIO would be a better choice.

slappyclaus

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2012, 03:17:41 pm »

I am having much trouble with Media Center and transferring music into/out of iTunes. I uninstalled Media 16 then went to the restore page and put in my registration code. I then got an email with the install key with an .mjr extension. I do not know how to open .mjr extensions. How do I get the install key?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2012, 03:19:21 pm »

The mjr file will be run by the currently installed version of Media Center if you double click on it in Explorer.  It is the Install Key.

The Purchase link above has more information.

kevon27

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31:02 pm »

Hello, I'm a super Noob and I need to ask a question that may seems dumb.
I have MC16 only for music, don't care about any other features. It's setup and working perfectly. I love this thing, it plays my DRM subscription music from ZUNE.
For someone in my situation, will I hear any improvement in the audio quality going to MC17? I've bypassed the internal windows 7 mixer and I'm using WASAPI and no DSP effects or up-sampling just pit perfect audio from the PCI sound card via toslink to my Marantz receiver's internal DAC.

Does it make any sense upgrading at this point.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

You're asking about your own ears.  Might be best to download it and try it free for 30 days.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

kevon27

« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »

You're asking about your own ears.  Might be best to download it and try it free for 30 days.

I'm sorry if I didn't clearly define my question.
I was wandering if the audio part of MC17 was improved. The program code, technology or what ever they call it.  Take video for instance, MC17 can now do Bluray and you might see an improvement in picture quality from all video sources (TV, DVD, AVI, MKV) with better color, sharper image, etc.
I'm afraid of installing MC17 on the same box as MC16 (that's where my audio files are) because with my luck something will go terribly wrong.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2012, 08:06:11 pm »

There have been a number of audio related changes as I recall.  Here's a full change log:

http://mc-changelog.blogspot.com/

Here's a quick new feature overview (don't know how up to date it is):

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66848.0

There's shouldn't be any issues with installing MC17 as a trial. Backup your current library, and let MC17 import the MC16 library.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2012, 05:16:01 am »

Hi,

i was trying to updgrade to MC17 and somehow the thread that I followed lead me to the trial test..
And now I have both the MC16 & MC17 sitting in the PC.

Can someone advise what I should do now... the MC17 ver is 17.0.147
Should i click the purchase button during MC17 startup?
Will the system know that I am updgrading?
what should I do with the MC16???

edited:
just gone ahead to uninstal MC17...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2012, 06:26:25 am »

Hi,

i was trying to updgrade to MC17 and somehow the thread that I followed lead me to the trial test..
And now I have both the MC16 & MC17 sitting in the PC.

Can someone advise what I should do now... the MC17 ver is 17.0.147
Should i click the purchase button during MC17 startup?
Will the system know that I am updgrading?
what should I do with the MC16???
It would have allowed you to upgrade for $26.98.  And it would have found your MC16 library and made a copy of it to use.

You can keep both installed until you're satisfied with MC17, then uninstall MC16.

bidders

• Recent member
missing audio file
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2012, 10:33:17 am »

I have media centre 17.0.147
I've downloaded MC17 but a lot of my cover art was missing so I thought I'd delete the library and start again. I tried to import my audio library but it only picked up one file. I then uninstalled it, removed all references that I could find to jrivers on my pc, rebooted my PC, then downloaded the latest version of jrivers. I still don't have an audio library. I looked in help and tried to 'enable shell integration' in general of options then reboot but it makes no difference. How can I force jrivers to scan for my library again. If not is there any way I can delete everything regarding jrivers from my PC and start again with the location of my music and cover art entered before jrivers starts to scan.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2012, 01:03:27 pm »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

I'll move this to a new thread.

fforet

• Recent member
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2012, 06:02:17 am »

hi,

i bought media center 16 last year in summer and today i downloaded 17 just to see, if it is worth an upgrade.
after i installed it i saw in the help section : 

Produkt:
Media Center 17.0.165 (registriert)

is it normal? i read that upgrading will cost arounf 50$, but it seems that my version registered itself for free.

any advice or confirmation would be nice.

thanks

kind regards
fforet

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2012, 07:01:42 am »

Welcome.  If you purchased MC16 after October 1, 2011, you received an MC17 license that will work with either MC16 or MC17.

The cost of upgrading would normally be $26.98.

fforet

• Recent member
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2012, 07:19:27 am »

- reply of no importance removed -

fforet

fforet

• Recent member
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2012, 07:34:29 am »

sorry for the confusion.
i just checked my paypal transfers and i bought MC16 on October 21,2011.
Seems like a massive memory failure ;) i will make some coffee and reboot myself.

thanks

kind regards
fforet
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up