INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyzing files  (Read 1607 times)

Nikkispappa

• Recent member
Analyzing files
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:38:41 pm »

I just uppgraded to MC 17 I deleted my MC16 and did a fresh istall with 17. I now considering to analyzing parts of my library and use ReplayGain.
I have asked a lot of question before and searched this forum and decided to go for the Track based mode and fixed listening mode.
I have three questions before I go ahead:

What setting would be the best for the fixed output mode, so that those files not analyzed has equal output?
What is the difference between analyzing one track at the time versus analyzing two or more at the time? How can one tell if a file has been analyzed?
If you analyze the same files two times in a row (forgetting to check the box skip analyded files) what happens ?
Is there a way to "remove" the values without removing all tag info?

As soon I learn about this I will go ahead analyzing about 10 000 files.

Any input will be very helpful!!!

Nikkispappa

• Recent member
Re: Analyzing files
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:20 am »

Anyone?

DrWhom

• Recent member
Re: Re: Analyzing files
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:33:00 am »

I  would be interested in hearing about this as well..

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:36:09 am »

You can just run it with the defaults.  You can run it as many times as you want.  Try a few files first if you're uncertain.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:16:29 am »

What setting would be the best for the fixed output mode, so that those files not analyzed has equal output?

There is no good answer to this. To make Replay Gain work correctly all played files must be analyzed. When Volume Leveling (aka Replay Gain playback correction) is applied, the volume level is usually more or less reduced. This is needed because it is often not possible to increase the volume level of quiet tracks without causing clipping distortion. For example, if the measured Peak Level value is near 100% there is no room for increasing the volume level regardless of the measured Replay Gain value. Often quiet tracks are not so heavily compressed and they may still contain some loud peaks that reach near 100%.

You could try to apply a correction of +10 dB or more to even the differences between the analyzed and unanalyzed files a bit (this might work for modern compressed rock, but the same correction would probably be too much for e.g. classical). Perhaps it would be better to simply not use Volume Leveling until all files have been analyzed.

What is the difference between analyzing one track at the time versus analyzing two or more at the time?

There is no difference. In any case each track is measured individually and the resulting values are stored.

How can one tell if a file has been analyzed?

The Replay Gain and Peak Level library fields have values when the tracks have been analyzed for Replay Gain. You can add these fields as columns to a list view. One option would be to add a smartlist that shows only the unanalyzed files:

- add a new smartlist
- press the edit button
- open the import/export box (press the button)
- paste the following rule into it: [Media Type]=[audio] ([Replay Gain]=[] or [Peak Level]=[])

If you analyze the same files two times in a row (forgetting to check the box skip analyded files) what happens?

Nothing that you should be worried about. The audio content will just be analyzed again and the measured values will be the same as before.

Is there a way to "remove" the values without removing all tag info?

Not without using some advanced trickery, but why would you want to do that?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Nikkispappa

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:09:33 am »

Thank You Alex for enlighting me/us about this.
Now I can go ahead analyzing my files and I will go for the whole collection as you said.
Some of my question may looks silly but I am an "analog audiophil" guy from start and now trying to get as much knowledge about the digital/computer listening
as possible.

I never do anything (In my life) without getting knowledge first just to avoid fatal misstakes. Ripping to wav files learned me that when tagging the files the size of a track was
increased, so there is something added to the file (of course). When analyzing the file there will be more info added to the file witch must increase the size even more.
I would like to know more how those tagsinfo versus musicfile are separated when decoding the music, to find out if a tag can disturb the audio signal.

My last question about removing the analyzing tag was more a question if the tag make some disturbance to the audiofile it would be nice to have that option.
That is no big issue as I have three different HD and when ripping I leave a safety copy on one HD that is the pure wav.rip for future.
I mean that we don't know what the future holds, but ripping cd's and scanning coverartīs is very time consuming and I don't want to do it again.

I also tried yesterday to use two zones and it worked GREAT. In zone one I can listen to music with volume leveling and in zone two the  files without volume leveling.
But I had to add the same library twice one for each zone.

At last, this is a great way to play music and I recommend JR to each and every person thinking about go the computer way for their music listening.

Thank you guys at JR!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up