INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center  (Read 262321 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #550 on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:01 pm »

There is a toggle switch in JRemote.  On the Settings page, at the very bottom of the screen you should see a Blue right arrow - tap it and you should then see "This Device" and "Player" - tap This Device to select your iPhone as the output device ...

Thanks for replying ... bit as I already stated "... and if JRemote ($10) is still playing through the iP4 speakers ..."
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: enabling blutooth in JRemote
« Reply #551 on: November 11, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »

Bluetooth will not work if something is plugged into the headphone jack.

Nothing was plugged into the headphone jack ...

EDIT:  For some reason it is working like it should today ... go figure!  ::)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #552 on: November 12, 2013, 03:54:59 am »

Hi All, I love JRemote it works great. I have a Samsung telly in the lounge and I use JRemote to display films and play tunes on the TV. This works well but when I try to display images they appear on the iPad itself. I can't ever find a way to display them on the telly.

Anyone else see this behavior?

Ross

csimon

« Reply #553 on: November 12, 2013, 04:05:36 am »

Hi All, I love JRemote it works great. I have a Samsung telly in the lounge and I use JRemote to display films and play tunes. This works well but when I try to display images they appear on the iPad itself. I can't ever find a way to display them on the telly.

Ross

This will only work if your PC is connected to the TV or if the TV is a DLNA renderer. In both cases, you select the output device (the Zone) in JRemote.  "This device" will display the images on the iPad. You need to change the zone to display on the TV.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #554 on: November 12, 2013, 05:10:12 am »

Yes this is how I play movies and music to the TV. If I set the TV to be the device I play to I can play films on it and music but not images.

Ross

csimon

« Reply #555 on: November 12, 2013, 05:13:51 am »

Are you sending to the TV via DLNA?

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #556 on: November 12, 2013, 09:15:42 am »

Are you sending to the TV via DLNA?

Yes

csimon

« Reply #557 on: November 12, 2013, 02:09:36 pm »

I see what you mean! I've never used it for images before and I've just tried it with my LG TV which is a DMR. Even with this selected as the output device, images are displayed on the iPad and not the TV.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #558 on: November 13, 2013, 01:05:48 pm »

I see what you mean! I've never used it for images before and I've just tried it with my LG TV which is a DMR. Even with this selected as the output device, images are displayed on the iPad and not the TV.

Glad it's not just me...

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #559 on: November 15, 2013, 04:36:36 am »

Hi LesPaul, Can you test this for us? The images play on the TV if I use MC to control it.

Ross

mlknit

« Reply #560 on: November 16, 2013, 06:38:36 pm »

After I upgraded to MC19 today jremote will no longer connect.  Everything was working great the past 6 months or so with MC18  and JRemote but after i upgraded to MC19 today (installed Mc19, deleted MC18) JRemote will not connect. Anyone have a solution for this?

Update: Got it working :)

cavediver

• Recent member
« Reply #561 on: November 17, 2013, 10:40:39 am »

I just purchased JRiver Media Center for Mac and JRemote for my iPad and can't get JRemote to connect. I get the following error message on the iPad: "Access Key appears to be invalid. Please try again." I setup Media Network with authentication to match my Mac Mini login and password. How do I get JRemote to connect?

dminches

• Recent member
« Reply #562 on: November 17, 2013, 10:44:10 am »

I cannot get jremote to connect to my server using the install key.  I keep getting the same error about the key being invalid.  However, I am able to connect using the IP address.  I am concerned that this may indicated some issue with the communication between jremote and the server.  I am also having an issue with views.  When I add a new view in MC and then add it to Gizmo it is not showing up in jremote.

Is there some way to regenerate the install key or should I not worry about that?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #563 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:09 am »

***Feature Request***

Make the MC EQ plugins controllable from JRemote, please.    It is cumbersome using my laptop to remotely control them.   An iPad would be perfect for this.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #564 on: November 24, 2013, 04:26:57 pm »

JRemote DOES NOT output Hi Rez audio.
And now I'm not so sure it is truly playing the uncompressed file at these higher resolutions either.
Yes, it correctly identifies the playing file with those bitrates, but it certainly doesn't output the file via the CCK to a DAC at anything other than 16/44.1k

I've been trying to get the hi rez output on an iPad1 for a while (PCStockton has been helping trying to get this working too but on a newer iPad).
I just got hold of an iPad3 on ios7 - same result.

There's a lot of proof that the hardware is capable - see below - but it seems JRemote is just not currently capable of playing these Hi Rez files without downsampling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Modabpck0Q&feature=colike&noredirect=1

(Happy for someone to prove user error however!)

audiomaniac

« Reply #565 on: November 25, 2013, 12:53:48 pm »

Hello,

My first post here.

MC seems to sort multiple albums by one artist according to date when displaying them.  That is rather useful.  Could JRemote do the same?

Greetings from Brussels

Robert

csimon

« Reply #566 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »

JRemote uses the same views as Gizmo so you will need to go into Tools/Options/Media Network/Advanced/Configure Views for Gizmo to define how you want to sort. I would suggest that on the Album category you edit the sort order to be Date (oldest first). (highliught Album, press Edit and go to the Sorting field.

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #567 on: November 25, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »

I noticed a difference in font size on iPad an iPad mini of the tracktitles between trackartist = albumartist and trackartist ≠ albumartist. I prefer the font size of the last better. It's a little bigger and bold. Why this difference? Is it a bug or something I can adjust?

dminches

• Recent member
« Reply #568 on: November 25, 2013, 08:23:44 pm »

Usability Question

In my library let's say I have 2 Bonnie Raitt albums. When I click her icon it then shows the cover art for each of the albums. If I double tap on one of the albums the next screen shows an icon for each song, but it doesn't show the song title. I think it is showing the bit rate. How do I get it to show the song titles?  Is this an issue with how I originally set up the view in MC?

Also, how do people play the entire album?  Do you press and hold the album cover icon and press "play now"?

Valvefan

• Recent member
« Reply #569 on: November 27, 2013, 11:56:38 am »

Hi

I would like to control MC19 from my listening chair.

I have MC19 on a Win 7 PC.  My music is on a NAS connected to the PC by ethernet via a router. The router can do wireless. This network is not connected to the internet.

I have JRemote on my iPad Air.

I have not been able to connect to MC19 via the iPad.

I am not experienced with setting up networks.

Any suggestions?  I would appreciate any help. Pease assume I'm stupid 😜

Thanks

csimon

« Reply #570 on: November 27, 2013, 02:30:38 pm »

Turn on Media Network (Tools/Options/Media Network and tick the Use Media Network... box.) It will generate an access key which is usually used to allow clients to connect to the PC but I think this requires internet access so that method won't work. Instead, you need to know the IP address of your PC and when you set up JRemote you can enter the IP address instead of the access key.

Then, if you want to customise the views and browsing structure that JRemote sees, you can configure them in Advanced/Customise Views for Gizmo.

Valvefan

• Recent member
« Reply #571 on: November 28, 2013, 01:58:26 am »

Thanks!!

Option two worked

:)

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #572 on: November 28, 2013, 03:16:59 am »

JRemote DOES NOT output Hi Rez audio.
And now I'm not so sure it is truly playing the uncompressed file at these higher resolutions either.
Yes, it correctly identifies the playing file with those bitrates, but it certainly doesn't output the file via the CCK to a DAC at anything other than 16/44.1k

Hi, toomanybarts,

Just yesterday i ordered the camera connection kit and a USB hub. I already have an Audioquest Dragonfly to test with. It is able to handle 24/96 audio.
Once I get this tested I will get back to you with my findings.

The audio engine used in the app is certainly able to play 24/96 files, and it should play these files without downsampling.

I can promise you that once I get to confirm this myself, I will find a solution to the problem.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #573 on: November 28, 2013, 03:18:47 am »

Hi All, I love JRemote it works great. I have a Samsung telly in the lounge and I use JRemote to display films and play tunes on the TV. This works well but when I try to display images they appear on the iPad itself. I can't ever find a way to display them on the telly.

Ross

I can confirm that this is an issue with JRemote. It should only display images locally when current zone is "This device".
A fix will be included in an upcoming version.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #574 on: November 28, 2013, 05:41:55 am »

I can confirm that this is an issue with JRemote. It should only display images locally when current zone is "This device".
A fix will be included in an upcoming version.

Top man, thanks a lot.

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
Re: Re: Re: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #575 on: November 29, 2013, 12:02:00 am »

Hi, toomanybarts,

Just yesterday i ordered the camera connection kit and a USB hub. I already have an Audioquest Dragonfly to test with. It is able to handle 24/96 audio.
Once I get this tested I will get back to you with my findings.

The audio engine used in the app is certainly able to play 24/96 files, and it should play these files without downsampling.

I can promise you that once I get to confirm this myself, I will find a solution to the problem.

Thanks lespaul, really appreciate your help.
And the amazing work you've already done building this app.

« Reply #576 on: November 30, 2013, 03:33:44 pm »

Would it be possible to have some way of viewing the current playlist when an iPad is vertical?
I just picked up a Retina iPad mini along with a nice stand, only to find that I can't view or edit the playlist using it.

I feel like there's space being wasted by having the categories along the side rather than across the top or bottom of the app too. As you see in that picture, the Apple music app displays 20 thumbnails at once - JRemote displays 12 (and a half row)

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #577 on: December 02, 2013, 08:52:32 pm »

JRemote uses the same views as Gizmo so you will need to go into Tools/Options/Media Network/Advanced/Configure Views for Gizmo to define how you want to sort. I would suggest that on the Album category you edit the sort order to be Date (oldest first). (highliught Album, press Edit and go to the Sorting field.

I was quite happy to read the above as I had been looking for a way to get things to sort properly in JRemote on my iPhone for some time.  Unfortunately I must have missed something because no matter what changes I make in the Options indicated above nothing changes on my iPhone either in "Player" or "This Device" mode.

Carl

csimon

« Reply #578 on: December 03, 2013, 03:23:07 am »

The device you've chosen for output (Player, This Device) won#t have any effect on the sort order.

Try restarting both MC and JRemote, soemtimes chnages aren't refelcted until the server is restarted and  JRemote reconnects.

The options I indicated are indeed how to change the views for JRemote, so as you say there must be something missing. Try playing around with the views, not just the sort order, to see if anything at all changes, to satisfy yourself that it does have an effect, then you can work out why the sort order isn't working.

jctcom

« Reply #579 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52:47 am »

The device you've chosen for output (Player, This Device) won#t have any effect on the sort order.

Try restarting both MC and JRemote, soemtimes chnages aren't refelcted until the server is restarted and  JRemote reconnects.

The options I indicated are indeed how to change the views for JRemote, so as you say there must be something missing. Try playing around with the views, not just the sort order, to see if anything at all changes, to satisfy yourself that it does have an effect, then you can work out why the sort order isn't working.

It seems that you have to completely exit out of Media Center (and of course JRemote) for the changes to take effect on the iPhone.  I have managed to get it looking mostly the way I would like at the Artist / album levels. There are a few settings that I thought should have worked but either produced unpredictable results or caused JRemote to crash.

But for some reason now the tracks are shown out of order when looking at a particular album.

Carl.

csimon

« Reply #580 on: December 03, 2013, 12:02:08 pm »

I'm not sure but under Set Rules For File Display/Modify Results try a sort order of Track #. I don't need that on mine but try it anyway.

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #581 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:05 pm »

Does jremote update the "last played" date?  I have it working for ratings but the "last played" tag always stays as "never played."

Thanks!

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #582 on: December 04, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »

I just installed a 2nd CAPSv3 Zuma Server with JRiver 19 installed. I cannot log onto it using the key and username & password. It says something like "your computer was found but your credentials are not correct". I have tried every combination possible. I have never had this issue with my original one. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thx

jctcom

« Reply #583 on: December 04, 2013, 06:00:10 pm »

I'm not sure but under Set Rules For File Display/Modify Results try a sort order of Track #. I don't need that on mine but try it anyway.

That seems to have done the trick.  Thanks for your help.

Carl

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #584 on: December 06, 2013, 10:06:03 am »

I have been wrestling with this all week. I just set up a new CAPSv3 Zuma server running JRiver 19. I do have TV running for live TV though I have many tweaks and adjustments to make. But I have figured out how to get it to record to my Synology Diskstation 1812. The rpoblem I am having is that I am unable to get "Video Station" on the Disktation to play the video either on my local laptop or remotely ipad or iphone. I can't get JRiver to play remotely on my iphone or ipad either.

I first had the video settings to jtv. Then read where ts may be more universal so I switched to that. But has not made a difference.

Now, I am aware that the actual file type is most likely what makes the differnce...mpg4, mpg2, avchd, etc but I am at a loss where to go from here.

I should also mention that in my research for this I did see where VLC is suggested and it even popped up as a suggestion that it be installed. I have installed VLC on my ipad with no luck. I know I am not doing something right......

Lastly.....I would like to be able to remotely stream live TV from JRiver using JRemote on my ios devices. I even have had a VPN set up to do this.....but, alas, not luck here, either.

I want to record TV in the best possible resolution & format as possible for playback at home as well as remotely on my ios devices.

I know there's alot her but would really appreciate any guidance  anyone might be able to provide.

Thanks for listening!

JR

kosmik

• Recent member
« Reply #585 on: December 06, 2013, 01:34:14 pm »

Is it possible to use "Users" feature somehow in JRemote?
Basically I want to allow my kids stream their content to iPad and iPod, but without possibility to watch R-rated movies.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #586 on: December 06, 2013, 11:34:07 pm »

Never mind. I think it was a new option that was checked by default in the new version: Switch zone on server as well as device.

I think I've found a new bug with JRemote.

-I play a movie on the HTPC that's running MC server, not using JRemote - just the regular standard view of MC.
-Launch JRemote on my iPad.
-Connect to the server.
-Choose a DLNA zone.

Immediately MC switches to the zone chosen in JRemote. This cannot be designed behaviour, and I think this did not happen in the last version of JRemote. To check, I went back about 20 versions of MC 19. I also connected via Gizmo on my Android tablet, and I was able to continue watching my movie on the MC server HTPC and play music in another DLNA zone.

Also, this whole set up was working fine as recently as this post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85580.0 , which was about a week ago. I believe I updated to the latest version of JRemote during that past week.

ReverendAmish

• Recent member
« Reply #587 on: December 09, 2013, 09:28:44 am »

I'm a new user so pardon my ignorance.  I am using JRiver just for audio.  I have a JRiver Server setup on a media server (upstairs) and a mac mini connected to my stereo (downstairs).  I downloaded JRemote so that I could control the mac mini (client).  JRemote seems to recognize what the mac mini is playing (it's set to Player, not This Device) but it will not control the mac mini.  I tried creating a zone just for the mac mini but it is not recognized.  Both the client and JRemote have the correct access code from the server.  Both machines are running the latest version of JRiver.

I can control the Server version with my JRemote no problem but I cannot control the client.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what i'm doing wrong or how I should adjust my settings?  Thanks.

csimon

« Reply #588 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:37 am »

I'm not sure but I think you can't control "clients" remotely through the "server", you probably need to connect JRemote to the Mini, which means setting up the Mini as a "server" too.  (Client/Server in JRiver terms means the bit of JRiver software that you are referring to, as opposed to the role of the machine). Two questions:

1. If you can't control the Mini, how did you get it to start playing in the first place?
2. When you first load JRemote, is it the upstairs machine that you connect to?

ReverendAmish

• Recent member
« Reply #589 on: December 09, 2013, 10:55:15 am »

1.  I can control the mini using the actual JRiver program on it.  I have a wireless mouse/keyboard and it's connected to my tv.  I'd rather not have to use the tv/mouse/keyboard, i'd like to use my iphone to control it.
2.  Yes, when I first start JRemote, it is the upstairs Server that it connects too.

Maybe this is more of a question about Server vs. Client.  I can make the mac mini a server instead, I really don't need to have a server upstairs since I'm not using it.  My concern was the media file location.  My media is on a shared drive connected to the server upstairs (it is available to any computer connected to my local network).  If I stop/disable the upstairs JRiver server and make the mac mini the server instead, will JRiver recognize the shared folder as my media file location?  Does it support this functionality?  Using a local network drive location?

Sorry if I'm making this more confusing by my descriptions.

csimon

« Reply #590 on: December 09, 2013, 01:57:34 pm »

I'm not much of an expert on the client/server thing, I get confused too!

Your upstairs computer can remain as it is. What I believe it is doing is catloguing and storing your media collection as a local library and then making it available to other installations of MC. Each client also has its own local library but you can instead load a library from another server. But that client can still act as a server for control purposes. Try enabling Media network on the Mini and it should then be available to JRemote to connect to and control but it will still be using a remote library on another server. The terms client and server for J River purposes relate to the actual function you're performing and this will change according to what you're doing.

If the shared drive is available to the Mini under the same name as the upstairs computer then this is what enables it to play the media using a remote library. If you want to convert the Mini to hold the library instead then you will have to import the media again into the Mini's local library, or backup the library on the upstairs machine, copy the backup to the Mini and restore it there, making sure all the file locations you set up initially are replicated on the Mini.

However, you will then need to do all importing, ripping etc on the Mini which, if connected to the living room TV and a wireless keyboard, might be cumbersome to do. You could connect the upstairs PC as a client to it for management purposes but clients don't have full admin capability to a remote library, and you'd need to set up authentication and synching, which I've never managed to get working properly. (I think JRiver doesn't actually *connect* to a remote library as a client, it just loads a remote library locally, so any changes you make have to be synched back to the "server").

As I said, I'm not that certain of how it all works - you might get some better advice posting in a general thread in the Media Network forum rather than the specific JRemote thread in Third Party. The same considerations would apply if using the JRiver-supplied Gizmo as a remote control.

ReverendAmish

• Recent member
« Reply #591 on: December 09, 2013, 08:32:36 pm »

Thanks for your help.  I made the mac mini a server and it was able to recognize the shared drive as the media folder.  Works perfectly now.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #592 on: December 10, 2013, 05:21:38 pm »

Bug?

I have the default view set to thumbnails in settings.

However, with the exception of the audio view, as I drill lower into Images, Movies or Playlists the thumbnail setting no longer controls the view. 

FastKayak / Larry

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #593 on: December 10, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »

Feature Request - default tap action

Many screens have the add to playing now action at the top of the screen.  The default action seems to be common to all screens.....I wish it wasn't.  Let's say I have it set to "play all now" because I've been playing songs. Then I tap on a movie. JRemote queues all my movies.  Ouch!

Could the the various screens have (or at least by media type) separate defaults?

FastKayak / Larry

csimon

« Reply #594 on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:05 pm »

Bug?

I have the default view set to thumbnails in settings.

However, with the exception of the audio view, as I drill lower into Images, Movies or Playlists the thumbnail setting no longer controls the view. 

FastKayak / Larry

Yes, I think this is what I've experienced and have reported it before. Audio menu works correctly, it displays thumbnails until you reach a list of individual files (tracks) then it reverts to a text listing. But it does the same thing for Images and Video where a text listing of files is *not* what you want!  This is where the thumbnails are most useful.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #595 on: December 10, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »

^^^^  Yeah I figured in a thread nearly 600 entries long I might not be the first to notice.  Let's hope it gets fixed this time.   ;D

FastKayak / Larry

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #596 on: December 11, 2013, 12:33:01 pm »

Hi all –

Ah, this is really where we ask questions on JRemote? I can only assume somebody else has already asked what I'm curious about, but this thread is crazy long and I'm not going to scroll through it all...

Is there a way to edit the categories? I.e. I tap on Audio and get Genre, Artist, Album, Recent, Composer, Podcast, Highly Rated. I don't use those last three and can't imagine ever doing so. In there something I can tweak server-side to change them (to, say, Year)?

Thanks very much –
Micah

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #597 on: December 11, 2013, 01:34:04 pm »

^^^^  Your answer is in post #570

Turn on Media Network (Tools/Options/Media Network and tick the Use Media Network... box.) It will generate an access key which is usually used to allow clients to connect to the PC but I think this requires internet access so that method won't work. Instead, you need to know the IP address of your PC and when you set up JRemote you can enter the IP address instead of the access key.

Then, if you want to customise the views and browsing structure that JRemote sees, you can configure them in Advanced/Customise Views for Gizmo.

FastKayak / Larry

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #598 on: December 11, 2013, 01:44:16 pm »

... this thread is crazy long and I'm not going to scroll through it all...
Is there a way to edit the categories? I.e. I tap on Audio and get Genre, Artist, Album, Recent, Composer, Podcast, Highly Rated. I don't use those last three and can't imagine ever doing so. In there something I can tweak server-side to change them (to, say, Year)?

or Reply #566...

It feels like this has been asked and answered for about 500 times... e.g. csimon must have sore fingers  :P
Finally a sticky closed thread for "How to set up views for JRemote/Gizmo/MyRiver" on top of this forum would be handy  ;D

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #599 on: December 11, 2013, 01:47:22 pm »

Aha! Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I did not know it ran on the same framework as Gizmo. Easy tweak.

Have a good one –
Micah
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up