INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes consistently  (Read 1721 times)

tromba

• Recent member
Crashes consistently
« on: May 08, 2013, 07:58:13 pm »

I tried 18.0.178 on my Macbook Pro a few days ago and it seemed to work fine. I just got a used Mac Mini to be the music server and installed the same version there. I also just installed 18.0.18 there also.

While it ran fine on the Macbook, on the Mac Mini the program opens, and when I click on Audio on the left, the program crashes and closes. In all cases the audio files are located on an external 500 GB HD.

I just tried opening it and clicking on Playlist. This didn't crash and what looks like the entire list of my music appeared (over 5,000 CDs). I clicked some and they played. I scrolled down the list further clicked one, and it opened the Audio dropdown list and immediately crashed.

Is this how I should report this? There's always a large box that comes up with Program Details and System Configuration. Should I do anything with that?

tromba

• Recent member
Re: Crashes consistently
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 08:01:53 pm »

I just tried clicking the arrow to the right of Audio, getting a dropdown list, clicking the arrow next to Artists and getting a dropdown list of artists, and I seem to be able to play things just fine. I tried several artists, albums and things played fine. I go back and click on Audio and the program crashes and shuts down (I know, don't click on that  :))

tromba

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 06:21:25 pm »

Are there any official responses here on how to fix things?

What I eventually did here was move the entire library from one external drive to another one (larger) in one large copy, so there should be no fragmentation of files (if that matters) and reinstalled 18.0.8. This seems to make it play OK

Since this will be running headless, I tried Gizmo on my android tablet. Making a connection isn't much of a problem, but as soon as I do something on the tablet, MC crashes. I click Relaunch and have to go to Options, Media (whatever it's called) and do the entire process to generate the passcode each time. No idea if this is "normal" or if it should start by itself, but once I pick up the tablet, it crashes again. Sometimes I get a message that the server can't be started.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 12:08:24 pm »

Are there any official responses here on how to fix things?

What I eventually did here was move the entire library from one external drive to another one (larger) in one large copy, so there should be no fragmentation of files (if that matters) and reinstalled 18.0.8. This seems to make it play OK

Since this will be running headless, I tried Gizmo on my android tablet. Making a connection isn't much of a problem, but as soon as I do something on the tablet, MC crashes. I click Relaunch and have to go to Options, Media (whatever it's called) and do the entire process to generate the passcode each time. No idea if this is "normal" or if it should start by itself, but once I pick up the tablet, it crashes again. Sometimes I get a message that the server can't be started.
Thanks for the report. We've had a couple reports of crashes when using Gizmo, we'll check into this on Monday.  Which OSX version are you running?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

doug2761

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:20:47 pm »

I've got it crashing consistently too.  Every time I go into the tools/options and then exit, J River crashes when I select save to save any changes.  When I restart I see that the changes did get saved but it crashes every time.  I'm using the latest Mac OS on a MacBook Air with my library on a Time Machine/Airport.

I also had a lot of clicking with this version.  Probably a buffering problem.  Once I set the buffering to "hardware default", saved and thereby crashed J River and restarted, the clicks disappeared and I'm getting very good audio.  I'm using a McIntosh C48 over USB for my DSP.

tromba

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 07:28:39 pm »

Thanks for the report. We've had a couple reports of crashes when using Gizmo, we'll check into this on Monday.  Which OSX version are you running?
I'm  using 10.6.8  --- I'm really looking forward to getting this all working. I have a large library (6000+ CDs) and iTunes is as slow as molasses in searching (no, probably slower -- so slow it's unusable). Even in Alpha MC works great (except for the crashes :) )
Pages: [1]   Go Up