INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a point at which a collection becomes too large for Media Center 18?  (Read 10115 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

I keep coming back to the concern that I may not have enough horsepower in this old rig. 

There's no doubt a faster computer or smaller library would help.

But it's often helpful to push on things like this a little -- we often learn something and sometimes the program  gets faster for everyone as a result.

The next step is for us to add a little more logging to the search suggestion system and get a new log.

The next build of MC18 is a week or so away, so let's circle back then.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

There's no doubt a faster computer or smaller library would help.

But it's often helpful to push on things like this a little -- we often learn something and sometimes the program  gets faster for everyone as a result.

The next step is for us to add a little more logging to the search suggestion system and get a new log.

The next build of MC18 is a week or so away, so let's circle back then.

Alrighty, then.  Good to help in the cause of science!

Musicman300000

• Recent member

I Have 220124 Music Files & really have not any Issues

My Benchmarks: Are These Good

Running 'Math' Benchmark'

Single Threaded Inter Math 9.346 Sec
Single Threaded Floating Point Math 4.906 Sec
Multi Threaded Inter Math 4.906 sec
Multi-Threaded Mixed Math 2.511 Sec

Score: 882

Running 'Image' Benchmark

Image Creation/Destruction 0.658
Flood Fulling 1.197
Direct Copying 1.303
Small Renders 3.003
Bilinear Rendering 2.321
Bicubic Rendering 1.281

Score: 2253

Running 'Database' Benchmark

Create Database 0.595 Sec
Populate Database 3.376 Sec
Save Database Sec 1.161 Sec
Reload Database 0.236 Sec
Search Database 2.323 Sec
Sort Database 1.622 Sec
Group Database 0.937 Sec

Score: 2098

Jrmark Ver. 18.0.206: 1745

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Alrighty, then.  Good to help in the cause of science!

Would you be willing to capture a log of some more slowness using the new build and send it my way:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81887.0

Thanks for all your help so far.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Would you be willing to capture a log of some more slowness using the new build and send it my way:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81887.0

Thanks for all your help so far.

I will install it remotely now as I still am on the road through tomorrow.  I'll reset the log and start a new one. It may be early next week before I can produce anything definitive.  Thanks for the link.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Okay, no log yet, but I wanted to say immediately that this version seems MUCH faster.  On some searches, almost no wait for the screen to mirror the characters and, even when there's a bit of a stall, it's better than the best stall I experienced with prior versions.  I haven't restarted the computer in the week I've been away from home (out of fear I won't be able to access it remotely if it hangs on the restart) and there's no other app running at the moment except a browser doing a download, so, as far as I know, the current version is running in precisely the same environment as have been its predecessor installations.  In other words, I can't think of any explanation for differing behavior other than that the current version includes some changes having a positive effect.  Thanks for that.

EDIT:  Seriously, this thing is flying right now, compared to what I had before this morning.  If this performance and stability were the norm, I'd never have posted my original inquiry.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Well, this is good news but not completely expected.

It's possible the UI / focus issues that we just fixed were causing something bad, but I never reproduced it.

Please let us know how your luck continues.

(ps. I did find a couple speed-ups testing with your library that will be part of MC19, but they weren't big enough to explain huge delays.)

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Well, this is good news but not completely expected.

It's possible the UI / focus issues that we just fixed were causing something bad, but I never reproduced it.

Please let us know how your luck continues.

(ps. I did find a couple speed-ups testing with your library that will be part of MC19, but they weren't big enough to explain huge delays.)

Just emailed you a link to the log.  No crashes or horrible slowdowns yet, so I won't reset the log unless you advise me to do so.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Okay, back to normal. A crash (while searching), 30 seconds for a full search term to mirror to the screen, and a complete hang while pasting album art.  Will send along another llog.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Something is adding lots of files to your library.

During your log, here's a load of the 'Bitrate' field.  Notice the number of files growing hugely:
0012745: 10092: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Bitrate; Files: 113362; Pointer bytes: 453596; Data bytes: 4168; Elapsed ms: 26.714
1787131: 6588: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Bitrate; Files: 244971; Pointer bytes: 980032; Data bytes: 4168; Elapsed ms: 22.827
15927171: 1248: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Bitrate; Files: 268302; Pointer bytes: 1073356; Data bytes: 4168; Elapsed ms: 119.525

This is not normal.

I can't see in the log what it is.  Please try these things:
1) Turn off auto-import (Options > Library & Folders)
2) Turn off podcasting (Options > General > Features)
3) Unplug any connected devices like an iPod

Once we figure out what's adding files, I think we'll have solved the mystery.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Something is adding lots of files to your library.

During your log, here's a load of the 'Bitrate' field.  Notice the number of files growing hugely:
0012745: 10092: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Bitrate; Files: 113362; Pointer bytes: 453596; Data bytes: 4168; Elapsed ms: 26.714
1787131: 6588: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Bitrate; Files: 244971; Pointer bytes: 980032; Data bytes: 4168; Elapsed ms: 22.827
15927171: 1248: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Bitrate; Files: 268302; Pointer bytes: 1073356; Data bytes: 4168; Elapsed ms: 119.525

This is not normal.

I can't see in the log what it is.  Please try these things:
1) Turn off auto-import (Options > Library & Folders)
2) Turn off podcasting (Options > General > Features)
3) Unplug any connected devices like an iPod

Once we figure out what's adding files, I think we'll have solved the mystery.

Auto-import has been disabled.  I never set up podcasts, so when I click on the podcast activation box, I am asked which directory to select, so I don't think there's been an active directory at any time.  The only connected storage devices are the mounted NAS drives (the former import directory) and two local backup drives, but there are no MP3 players or the like.  Finally, I note that I did try to add album art by pasting images taken from the web.  However, that might have affected a few dozen tracks at the most, not thousands.  Reset the log, though, and will pass it along when I get crashes or slowness.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Bump.

Something is adding a lot of library records and slowing things down.

It could be a handheld, podcasting, auto-import, maybe browsing the library in certain views (if there were a bug), etc.

I'd love to figure it out.

Please let us know if you have any additional clues.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Bump.

Something is adding a lot of library records and slowing things down.

It could be a handheld, podcasting, auto-import, maybe browsing the library in certain views (if there were a bug), etc.

I'd love to figure it out.

Please let us know if you have any additional clues.

I sent a log that shows things since the last log reset, late last week.  Mostly, it's been uneventful, with just a couple of crashes when pasting album art. 

As far as possible causes go, I haven't had any portable device connected at all; never have set up podcasting, but turned it off just to be certain; turned off auto-import last week.... 

The only oddball use I make is that I access often from my office computer using Splashtop Personal, a remote application.  I lost a ton of album art after I cleaned JRiver off of my system (including library and other preference files) and then reinstalled from scratch, so, when I am at work, I take breaks and paste some covers.  I also went through that phase where I had digitized about 75 or so albums more or less at once and then moved them all into the NAS's share folder where I keep my library.  That entire project seemed to stress things, as I posted at the time.

Otherwise, I am a pretty vanilla guy.  No unusual settings or hardware configurations, at least to my mind.  I've reset the log, so, if it's useful to keep tracking this, I'll be happy to keep sending logs.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

The log you sent today never shows the number of files get out of control.  Is it still slowing down or is it fast (like you reported a few days ago for a while)?

When it gets slow, if you restart MC, does it feel faster right away for a while?

Thanks.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

The log you sent today never shows the number of files get out of control.  Is it still slowing down or is it fast (like you reported a few days ago for a while)?

When it gets slow, if you restart MC, does it feel faster right away for a while?

Thanks.

The log I sent today was mostly compiled at the computer and not using the remote application.  The speed has varied but it has been acceptable all along, at least when seated at the computer.  Remote does show some delay, not in the mirroring to the screen generally in other apps, but with MC in particular.  When I restart, MC does typically seem fastest right after the restart.

i am beginning to wonder whether Splashtop (the remote app) is part of the problem.  Hadn't thought about that until the last few posts in the thread.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Just sent another log.  Since I had auto-import off for the last week or so, I manually ran an import from my NAS' music directories overnight.  I did not think about the m4p Apple DRMed files that we'd previously excluded, so I was concerned when the last dialogue box this morning said that the import was successful for something like 879 files.  It was only when i saw the newly added files list that I realized what had happened.  So, for now the m4p's are back in the library.

Then, from work, I used Splashtop to access my computer remotely.  Over this connection, which seems not to impact other apps significantly, MC became unusable.  I would type "John Stubblefield," for example, would have the "J" echo and then NOTHING else for seemingly minutes, until the rest of the man's name appeared in the search dialogue box and the correct search results displayed.  While I was staring at the "J" sitting there in the search box, the W8 "not responding; what do you want to do?" dialogue appeared twice.  So, right now, I'd say that, at least remotely, I can't use the application if there are m4p's in the library.

I have reset the log.  Now I will go back and delete those files from the library again.  I'll keep you posted.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up