INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading to JRiver Media Center 19  (Read 85962 times)

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Upgrading to MC19 -- Questions or Comments? -- Post here
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2013, 10:17:58 am »

That's cool. It is much more stable than the MC17 or MC16. I'm glad you're already in bug fix mode so I'm happy.  I ended up on a "bad" version of MC16 for about 6 months while MC17 was being developed so I'm a little gunshy still. MC is a great product and I really like the audio enhancements you've made.

BrianB

• Recent member
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2013, 05:23:53 pm »

I'm currently using MC17 on Windows XP. I would like to stay with XP on my music server machine. I'm considering pre-ordering MC19 but want to make sure that it will work with XP. Will MC19 be compatible/tested with Windows XP?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2013, 05:35:57 pm »

No way to be certain, but it's extremely likely.

BrianB

• Recent member
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2013, 05:54:02 pm »

Thanks. OK, I guess I'd better not go for it then.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2013, 07:06:48 pm »

Cheers and congratulations to the JRiver team for the continued success of one of my favorite pieces of software!

Upgrade: done.   :)

Thanks, guys!

Glenn

kstich

• Recent member
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 07:53:53 pm »

I would like to see improvements in the Theater view as well. I rarely use this feature even though it was one of the original reasons I opted for JRiver over other audio only programs. I think it is a fairly clunky interface for theater view.

Better Bluray playback would be awesome. I get the occasional glitch that's occasional enough I stick with my dedicated bluray player. Bluray/DVD ripping to MKV would be a great feature. MC18 seems to imply DVD ripping is supported but this has never worked afaik.

Audio is excellent. Not sure how to improve this... Have yet to try use the ASIO Line In interface in MC18 but this was next on my list. My ultimate goal will be the computer as full AVR with my external DAC. I hope the line in interface works pretty solidly for this purpose.

Video playback is good. It has become my standard player. It is pretty solid here. My aging computer (Core 2 Duo E8400) has trouble with the Red October HQ mode, but not sure what can be done on your end for this...

More streaming support would be awesome. I use the Netflix app on Win 8 because its so easy, but it would be cool to do this from JRiver as well. Airplay support would be cool, not sure what the comparable feature on Androids would be. That's fun for parties.

Lastly, Gizmo "Play All" mode and shuffle support would be nice. Not sure the MC18 version does these basic tasks.

I think these comments and feature requests may have been missed in all the squabbling regarding the upgrade price. I will pre-purchase but haven't gotten around to it yet. JRiver really has been a great program and occupies the majority of my time on the computer. I would love to see these to help it get even better. Thanks!

coxhaus

• Recent member
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:04 pm »

Any chance you will add more support for Server 2012 in core mode in MC 19.  I only use JRiver for high end audio, nothing else. Maybe automatic updates in core mode?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2013, 08:38:54 pm »

@XP
It's the #2 desktop OS in the world according to Wikipedia.  I think we'll support it for a few more years, although some features won't be available like WASAPI, newer 3d rendering / DirectX, etc.

@Server 2012 Core
There's a big list of other platforms we could chase -- Linux, iPad, Android, Metro, Windows Phone, etc.  My guess is that Server 2012 Core is a small niche compared to some of the others.  So I wouldn't expect a command line version of MC for Server Core, at least for v19.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2013, 08:42:21 pm »

There's a big list of other platforms we could chase -- Linux, iPad, Android, Metro, Windows Phone, etc. 

Although I suspect not, I so very much hope that the list above is sorted by priority ;)
pretend this is something funny

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2013, 09:55:18 pm »

Upgraded to MC19. Rooting for a Linux MC server, specifically for an UNRAID version.
Eagerly waiting :)

@XP
It's the #2 desktop OS in the world according to Wikipedia.  I think we'll support it for a few more years, although some features won't be available like WASAPI, newer 3d rendering / DirectX, etc.

@Server 2012 Core
There's a big list of other platforms we could chase -- Linux, iPad, Android, Metro, Windows Phone, etc.  My guess is that Server 2012 Core is a small niche compared to some of the others.  So I wouldn't expect a command line version of MC for Server Core, at least for v19.
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2013, 01:08:49 pm »

I've split feature requests to a new thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82006.0

FREDDIE B

« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:48 pm »

Yes, you can upgrade directly from 17.

I currently have 17. I preordered 19. Does that preorder allow me to upgrade to 18 while waiting on 19? what do I need to do?
Freddie

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2013, 02:53:47 pm »

I currently have 17. I preordered 19. Does that preorder allow me to upgrade to 18 while waiting on 19? what do I need to do?
Freddie
Yes, you can download MC18 (18.0.209) from the top of this board. Enter your MC19 license and it will work fine.

randobills

• Recent member
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2013, 08:15:05 pm »

do you currently need a paid version of jriver in order to take advantage of the upgrade price?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2013, 08:19:06 pm »

do you currently need a paid version of jriver in order to take advantage of the upgrade price?

The regular price is also reduced right now.

Thanks for thinking of purchasing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ths61

• World Citizen
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2013, 12:50:28 am »

...  I only use JRiver for high end audio, nothing else. ...

+1 on high end audio.  There are already enough MP3 players on the market.

Any and all updates to improve audio playback quality will be very welcomed.

MC-19 pre-purchased and waiting ...
Main - JRMC31 -> custom ALSA_cdsp -> CamillaDSP(2x8 channel 64-bit FIR convolution) -> 8 channel DAC
Office - JRMC31 -> Asus Xonar Essence STX -> W4S STI-1000 -> Mini-Magnepans
Shop - JRMC31 -> W4S MicroDAC -> Adcom GFA-2535 -> B&W Rock Solid

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2013, 05:09:46 pm »

First of all MC is a great software and so is tech support.  Fulfills all of my audiophile needs. For TV I still use Sage but looking forward to switch eventually...

And the upgrade is not expensive...(But that's beside the point...)

I would just love to know what I'm paying for...
A list of new features or improvements?  Or why not wait a little for your discount offer until a beta version (even unstable) is available?
Or a list stability/performance improvements?

Just make one up so I can justify the purchase   ::) :)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2013, 05:19:37 pm »

Think of it this way, blind faith is cheap, guided faith costs more, details cost even more, final details cost even more still.

Once plans and specs are further flushed out, the product is worth more, and so it continues until they near the end of the full development cycle, and which you'll pay the most.

You're free to choose your comfort vs cost level of entry.

Epithet

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2013, 12:21:36 pm »

As a loyal M-C supporter since MC09 I too am happy to to pay the now annual upgrade fee to support the continued development of this bench mark product.

I have lost touch with development for mobile platforms. I should like to think MC19 will be adding support for Windows Phone?

JimH

• Administrator

aclark

« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2013, 02:36:30 pm »

Since 19 isn't actually out and keys expire in 2 weeks, does this mean that we should change the registration for 18 and then just update when available?

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2013, 02:44:54 pm »

As a loyal M-C supporter since MC09 I too am happy to to pay the now annual upgrade fee to support the continued development of this bench mark product.

I have lost touch with development for mobile platforms. I should like to think MC19 will be adding support for Windows Phone?

I have absolutely no reservations on paying for the MC19 upgrade either. Just built a HTPC a few months ago,tried all the others buy none are as reliable and easy to configure as MC. I'm just floored by some of the whining.....

Sesam

• World Citizen
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2013, 03:12:28 pm »

I think the annual upgrades are very reasonably priced. Even though the last version really didn't add anything I needed, I still more than happily pre-ordered MC19. Because I want to support the developers, and I see see it as an investment to make sure future development continues smoothly.

Sure there are free alternatives to MC out there, but I know from experience with other software. That you can't expect support, or bugs to be fixed, by people that work for free :P

Hottuna

• Recent member
hottuna
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2013, 03:13:09 pm »

It's an offer to allow the thousands of people that DO want to upgrade to do so for cheap
March 19, 2002 I received my first registration file from JRiver for Media Jukebox. I skipped two or three upgrades since then and I've had some bugs and hardware conflicts along the way (which the JRiver team fixed). On a couple of occassions I've cursed them under my breath and tried several other media players looking for something better (don't waste your time), I even had "words" with Jim H. once or twice and had my user ID suspended (note: you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar).

Yet here I am again about to upgrade, sight unseen, to MC19. I'm not upgrading because "it's cheap" but because it's the best darn Media player on the market. Having said that, I like to save a few bucks on the upgrades now that I'm semi-retired, so cheap is good when you get a unique dependable quality product in return. Will it be a quality product? All I can say is that their track record has been pretty good.

Keep up the good work JRiver. Looking forward to the next release and if I don't like it, I'll be sure to let Jim know  :)

invictus0990

• Recent member
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2013, 04:18:22 pm »

Hey guys, I got a suggestion for future builds: What about a feature that allows you to link your Facebook account so that songs you play on JRiver post in your timeline, similar to how Spotify posts on your timeline every time you play a song. To add more to this, you can customize whether the post shows up after you've finished listening to a song or it posts when you start playing a song. Anyone else thinks this is a good idea?

Waroroses

« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2013, 04:23:51 pm »

I tried to upgrade. I entered my access code and was not recognized. I have 18 now. What gives?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2013, 05:55:19 pm »

The very first words in this thread...

MC19 Windows releases will be available in a month or two.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2013, 09:15:57 pm »

I tried to upgrade. I entered my access code and was not recognized. I have 18 now. What gives?
Please try copy and paste.  It is probably a problem with a typo.

nick_wadsley

« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2013, 11:24:42 pm »

Hi All,

I'm using a registered MC18 and just purchased the MC19 upgrade which took my money fine, but when I try to run the "Media Center19 Windows-220531.exe" file I get an error message that "This version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running...".  This is strange as I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, which I imagine is one of the most common OS' around. 

Any tips on how to resolve this?  Running as admin doesn't help and running it in compatibility mode (Windows XP SP2 compatible) doesn't seem to do anything as my registration stays at 18 (although the error message isn't there)  ? 

Even though MC19 isn't released yet, I presume that I can still upgrade the registration now, which will save me having to restore it later on (and using up 1 an extra restore attempt).

Thanks in advance,
Nick

filippo

• Recent member
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2013, 03:12:38 am »

I have bought MC 18 on july 04 2013:
is the upgrade included in price?  

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2013, 03:43:10 am »

I have bought MC 18 on july 04 2013:
is the upgrade included in price?

Anyone that purchased after July 1st already has a MC19 license, so yes, the upgrade is included for you!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

filippo

• Recent member
Re: Upgrading to MC19 -- Questions or Comments? --TAGGING classical
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2013, 06:28:07 am »

The biggest improvement would be to the tagging database for classical music which is still very long and with also the definition of a standard tag.

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2013, 07:27:20 am »

Just got my v19 license.
Will wait for the 1st stable build of v19, to start working 18/19 in parallel.
Soon as 19 becomes obviously better, will quit from 18.
thanks guys.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »

ok, dumb question...i read above that MC18 will work with the MC19 license (i'm currently on 17).  i'd like to use MC18 for a bit until there's a stable 19...so i bought a 19 license knowing that mc18 will work with it.

so the dumb part of the question....if i download and install mc18, this won't mean i have to pay again if i already used the mc19 registration?

thanks, silly i know

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2013, 04:08:31 pm »

ok, dumb question...i read above that MC18 will work with the MC19 license (i'm currently on 17).  i'd like to use MC18 for a bit until there's a stable 19...so i bought a 19 license knowing that mc18 will work with it.

so the dumb part of the question....if i download and install mc18, this won't mean i have to pay again if i already used the mc19 registration?

thanks, silly i know

No, you will be able to use your registration for 19...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

BrianB

• Recent member
Purchased update: doubel-cliekd MJR file, just get error
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2013, 06:15:47 pm »

Today I bit the bullet and decided to buy your discounted MC19 (and 18) upgrade for my current MC17 version. I have two machines: a Windows 7 and an XP. I used the Win 7 machine and Firefox to make the payment on-line without incident. I received the registration code both on-line and via email and I saved the "MJR" file to the desktop. So far, so good, right?

I double-clicked on the MJR file and I get an error message: "Information: Error restoring Media Center license: Unknown Error". Huh? I'm not trying to restore anything. I was trying to download MC18 while waiting for the MC19 release.

So, thinking that maybe the old MC17 version needed to be open to use the MJR file, I opened it. I double-clicked again on the MJR file again - same error.

So now what?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »

You probably just need to install MC18 from our Download Page.

BrianB

• Recent member
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2013, 07:19:10 pm »

OK, thanks. That seemed to have worked. I've installed MC18 on both machines now and I performed a very quick check that it plays music.

In retrospect, going to the download page after this purchase of an upgrade may seem to be blindingly obvious, but nothing in the web purchase sequence or the subsequent registration email led me there. Only some instructions about what to do with the mysterious "MJR" file without explanation about what is is or does. A reasonable person might assume that this MJR file would manage the download for the user. Just sayin'...

emovac

• Recent member
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2013, 07:45:12 pm »

Well, I took the MC19 plunge, however, my MC18 serial number wouldn't upgrade, luckily the MC17 license did the trick and reflected the reduced price. 

Looking forward to a great revision.

nick_wadsley

« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2013, 01:08:24 am »

Hi All,

I'm using a registered MC18 and just purchased the MC19 upgrade which took my money fine, but when I try to run the "Media Center19 Windows-220531.exe" file I get an error message that "This version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running...".  This is strange as I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, which I imagine is one of the most common OS' around. 

Any tips on how to resolve this?  Running as admin doesn't help and running it in compatibility mode (Windows XP SP2 compatible) doesn't seem to do anything as my registration stays at 18 (although the error message isn't there)  ? 

Even though MC19 isn't released yet, I presume that I can still upgrade the registration now, which will save me having to restore it later on (and using up 1 an extra restore attempt).

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Anyone seen this compatibility issue before and know how to resolve it? Is this a non-issue? It does seem a bit strange and I'm concerned that it'll prevent my licence from upgrading.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2013, 03:22:29 am »

Anyone seen this compatibility issue before and know how to resolve it? Is this a non-issue? It does seem a bit strange and I'm concerned that it'll prevent my licence from upgrading.

The license is not an .exe file, your tool that downloaded the file renamed it.
Rename it to have the ".mjr" extension and then try running it again.

I believe this was a problem primarily with Opera, if thats what you're using.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

coxhaus

• Recent member
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2013, 03:06:33 pm »

I just tried to upgrade to MC 19 and I received the full price. I had my registration code sent to me from you.  I am in test mode with server 2012 and will be installing several times but I thought maybe I would include MC 19 in this process also. I have bought many versions of JRiver so I don’t know why my upgrade did not work. I only use my laptop for forum work which does not include JRiver, JRiver is installed on my music server.

nick_wadsley

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2013, 09:09:18 pm »

The license is not an .exe file, your tool that downloaded the file renamed it.
Rename it to have the ".mjr" extension and then try running it again.

I believe this was a problem primarily with Opera, if thats what you're using.

Thanks! That fixed it. The licence has now installed.

And yes, I'm using opera. I'll keep an eye out for this issue on future downloads.

JohnT

« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2013, 08:05:12 am »

I just tried your registration code ending with "-S63U3" on this page:
http://jriver.com/purchase_19_as_upgrade.html
And it gave me the $18.98 upgrade price.  Are you using that same registration code?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2013, 08:10:30 am »

Well, I took the MC19 plunge, however, my MC18 serial number wouldn't upgrade, luckily the MC17 license did the trick and reflected the reduced price. 

Looking forward to a great revision.
If you have the time, give me the last 5 characters of your MC18 registration code so I can check out why it didn't work.  Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Buckster

• Recent member
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2013, 03:47:22 pm »

purchased the upgrade - it's a pleasure to support such a good product, and such good customer support

:)

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2013, 09:17:57 am »

I upgraded and promptly got a error message - "Error restoring Media Center License: Unknown Error. 

Happened to me also!  I was able to install MC19 on my PC, but when I tried to install it on my Laptop, I got the above message.  Why would it install on one and not the other?  I tried the restore option for the laptop and still get the same error message. 

Please Help!
JRiver Media Center... If you don't have it, I don't want to hear it!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2013, 10:08:42 am »

You need to have the latest version of MC. 

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2013, 12:29:12 pm »

You need to have the latest version of MC. 

I have 18.0.209

Chico

• World Citizen
  • Life is good!
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2013, 02:14:19 pm »

I just did a complete uninstall and reinstall of MC18.  I thought that would have removed the License data, but when I reinstalled, it came up as registered already.  The MC19 registration still did not work.  Still getting message, "Error restoring Media Center License, Error unknown"!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up