INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: nMedium Play: Playback from your server to your Windows Phone  (Read 47046 times)

GrantDG

• World Citizen
Re: nMedium Play: Playback from your server to your Windows Phone
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 03:34:52 am »

Would it be tricky/impossible to also use NMedium Play off-line just for SDCards ?

nMedium does not currently support off-line playback - maybe in the future, but no time-frame (or promise) at the moment.
Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

TCube

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2014, 06:42:42 am »

By the way for all Windows Phone users, if you need to do a "reset" of your phone [unknown "Other files" clustering the memory] you better have your SD Card playlists saved with JRiver MC for future sync. with WP.
Files on your SD card won't be flush out but "Playlists" will after a "phone reset".
Thus, if you keep your playlists within MC19, it will be extremely quick after a "reset' : just re-building the tables for Playlists and will not "copying" again any files.
TC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2014, 07:22:42 am »

TCube,
Please use you and your as they are spelled.  u and u're make the posts harder to read.  

Thanks.

TCube

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2014, 10:53:45 am »

Sorry got carried away listening Tricky's give away 54U  ;D
http://www.trickysite.com/trickys-new-5-track-giveaway/

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2014, 08:32:10 pm »

nMedium Play version 2.3 has been released to the store.

This version adds the ability to save the 'playing now' list as a playlist on the server
There's also a few bug fixes and stability irovements
Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2014, 05:28:33 pm »

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I have been unable to get this to actually play anything. I can browse my library just fine, and I can control playback on my PC, so I know communication's working, but whenever I try to play anything to my phone I just get an application error. I sent in an error report but unfortunately I think I'm close to end of my trial period so I'm not sure how much time I've left to determine if this is going to work for me before justifying a purchase. :(

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2014, 06:22:12 pm »

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I have been unable to get this to actually play anything.

I've sent a reply message to your email address from the error report.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2014, 07:07:38 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. I just replied to your email. Quick summary, still no go. But I put it on my wife's phone too (same issue) so I at least have another 20 days to test it out.

Honestly, even if I can't get nMedium Play to work, I'll buy nMedium just for the ability to remotely control MC, but the ability to stream to my phone is somewhat enticing so I wanted to give that a fair shake before deciding.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2014, 07:21:19 pm »

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I have been unable to get this to actually play anything. I can browse my library just fine, and I can control playback on my PC, so I know communication's working, but whenever I try to play anything to my phone I just get an application error.

Same for me. I'm on Windows 8.1, Lumia 920.

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2014, 07:48:03 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. I just replied to your email. Quick summary, still no go.
Same for me.

This is an issue with nMedium. An update has just been sent for certification on the store

Thanks for the feedback guys

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2014, 08:28:45 pm »

nMedium Play version 2.3.1 has been released to the store

This version includes a fix for the issue noted above
It also includes some general performance improvements

TCube

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2014, 05:04:51 am »

Hello,

Update yesterday was weird (connecting every 2 seconds to MC while in "Player" mode). Updated this morning 11.45  = back in working order
Can you have a look how get "Recent Albums"  : "recent" is only returning list of "recent" files not "Albums"  :P  (well, the way a use it ...)

TC

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2014, 04:53:07 pm »

Just wanted to confirm the update fixed the issue I had streaming music to my phone! Awesome work, and thanks for such a quick reply!

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2014, 06:40:00 pm »

Can you have a look how get "Recent Albums"  : "recent" is only returning list of "recent" files not "Albums"  :P 

Hi TC,

Glad your issue resolved itself.

As to your 'Recent Albums' issue; nMedium presents the library views based on a special configuration.

Go to: 'Services & Settings' > 'Media Network' > 'Options' > 'Advanced' > 'Customize Views for Gizmo & WebGizmo'

Have a look at the configuration in here and play around with it to get the view you would like...

Flarin

On-the-fly search functionality
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 11:52:21 am »

Hello :)
First of all - this is a great app.
Would be nice to have a search button on the every single step inside the bottom toolbar. It's a major pain to search an album just by the first letter. For example, I have like 50 "T-named" albums.

Also, would be just super-great to have a bit more user-friendly UI, with better usability.
JRemote made it pretty close to perfect (usability-wise): http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple6/v4/7d/89/9d/7d899d06-0a62-c0de-9a48-95b23ef868e8/screen568x568.jpeg ;)
Cheers!
Currently in love with B&W 803 Diamond and Classe CP800 + CA3200 <3

GrantDG

• World Citizen
Re: On-the-fly search functionality
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2014, 06:08:12 pm »

First of all - this is a great app.

Thanks!

Would be nice to have a search button on the every single step inside the bottom toolbar.

Do you mean in the 'library' pages? Elsewhere?

Also, would be just super-great to have a bit more user-friendly UI, with better usability.
JRemote made it pretty close to perfect (usability-wise)

Is there any particular functionality that you think is missing?

Flarin

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2014, 04:55:05 am »

Do you mean in the 'library' pages? Elsewhere?
In the library pages, exactly.
Maybe something like this:
1: https://i.imgur.com/huPaAK6.jpg
2: https://i.imgur.com/1Lksork.jpg
Tap on search button again = close search.
What do you think about this?

Is there any particular functionality that you think is missing?

Volume is not really easy to control atm. Would be nice to have it as a bar, so it could be possible to set voloume from 100% to around 50% with just one tap.
Same with the timeline bar.

And a few suggestions to consider (bread crumbs, useful navigation from the "playing now" screen): http://screencast.com/t/Z3DTVuKwYLU

P.S.
Does images and file trees are stored locally right now? Because it takes time to load (for example) album images for some reason.
Would be just great to store all that info on the device, and sync it when user wants it to be synced.

Currently in love with B&W 803 Diamond and Classe CP800 + CA3200 <3

TCube

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43:09 am »

Hello,

Odd thing but nothing to worry about.
Context :
- Complete Reset of the Windows Phone on Wifi.
- "Reset" complete with Download of Apps. but nMedium Play won't connect to MC (note : you have to through set up again with nMedium Play again either Key or IP:port)
- Question : why ? haven't touch any MC parameters ...

Work around :
- Connect your WP on PC.
- Launch your personal Windows Phone space : Purchase history ---> re-install nMedium Play
- In the same time launch MC and SYNC handheld : to rebuild playlists (gone with the reset).

Just a user trick if ever needed.
TC

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2014, 04:36:53 pm »

- "Reset" complete with Download of Apps. but nMedium Play won't connect to MC (note : you have to through set up again with nMedium Play again either Key or IP:port)
- Question : why ? haven't touch any MC parameters ...

nMedium settings are stored locally on the phone - and not synchronised to any server, if you reset the phone, they are lost. I could look into storing settings to OneDrive - but it's not high on the list of priorities (IMHO set-up isn't really that difficult - nor something you would do very often).

TC you might also want to start a separate thread for general WP setup issues - there are a few things mentioned that are not actually related to nMedium...

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2014, 10:06:12 pm »

Version 2.4 of nMedium Play has been released to the store

- Video transcoding now reports progress (requires JRiver 19.0.133 or above)
- Support for new Media Sub Types
- nMedium now has the ability to manage linked Zones (Link / Unlink) via the Zone picker.
- Some bug fixes and stability improvements

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2014, 08:44:06 pm »

Would be nice to have a search button on the every single step inside the bottom toolbar. It's a major pain to search an album just by the first letter. For example, I have like 50 "T-named" albums.
Cheers!

This is implemented in version 2.5 - now available in the store

TCube

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2014, 01:58:31 am »

Hello,
Having a hard time to set up NMedium Play with both my servers with Ip/ports (I reckon I don't bother much to monthly/weekly upgrade JRiver).
Still working with 19.0.133 ? Access key is fine.
Thks
TC

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2014, 02:35:28 am »

Having a hard time to set up NMedium Play with both my servers with Ip/ports (I reckon I don't bother much to monthly/weekly upgrade JRiver).
Still working with 19.0.133 ? Access key is fine.

nMedium is still working with the latest version on JRiver - and that fact is unlikely to change any time soon!

You can check connectivity by going to your phone browser and browsing to:
    http://[ip:port]/MCWS/v1/
If your browser can see a page here - nMedium can see it

TCube

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2014, 02:47:14 am »

Hello,

Thks for http://[ip:port]/MCWS/v1/  Ok checked won't work.
JRiver way too many frequent upgrades  >:(

TC

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2014, 03:01:58 am »

JRiver way too many frequent upgrades  >:(

JRiver upgrades should be completely seamless - not sure why you would be having troubles. It is definitely not the norm for an upgrade to break nMedium access...

Are you upgrading in place or are you doing an uninstall/reinstall?

TCube

« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2014, 03:13:29 am »

GrantDG

I'm upgrading; and  the least necessary regarding what's published here for new releases.
And I tell you most releases I don't need or have a clue what for. I 'll stand by as NMedium Play 2.5 is fine except for Ip/port
I'll take care of it when I get around the No-ip config. again.
Thks
TC

Note :  Your post July 06 Ver. 19.0.133  ---> Now July 25 Ver. 19.0.156    :o

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2014, 09:26:48 am »

I'm upgrading; and  the least necessary regarding what's published here for new releases.
And I tell you most releases I don't need or have a clue what for. I 'll stand by as NMedium Play 2.5 is fine except for Ip/port

The only reason you would be able to access your server by access key, and not via IP address, is that you are not sure of your server's current IP address.

An easy way to find your IP address is by going to: http://webplay.jriver.com/libraryserver/lookup?id=[accessKey]

IP address management is outside the control/influence of either JRiver or nMedium.

TCube

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2014, 12:25:17 pm »

Ok !
Funky !  ;D I got it, ISP upgrade & reset on router on July 10th . Restore GetawaySettings.bin
Merci Bcp
TC

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2014, 07:19:48 pm »

The latest version of nMedium Play (2.6) has been released to the store. 

Changes include:
  • New setting added which allows you to select the default page which is shown when you launch nMedium
  • Stability improvements

nMedium Play is also on sale for half price at the moment!

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:28 pm »

Any chance you'll consider updating the interface to properly support more "modern" Windows Phones? As it stands currently, on 1080p displays you get a black bar at the top, because your app has a fixed 16:10 (or thereabout) aspect ratio.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2014, 11:32:34 pm »

Any chance you'll consider updating the interface to properly support more "modern" Windows Phones? As it stands currently, on 1080p displays you get a black bar at the top, because your app has a fixed 16:10 (or thereabout) aspect ratio.

I'll have to have a look. Currently the app is built to support back to WP 7.1+, and I'm not sure that while it's targeting 7 that I can have multiple aspect ratios.

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2014, 05:56:52 am »

I'll have to have a look. Currently the app is built to support back to WP 7.1+, and I'm not sure that while it's targeting 7 that I can have multiple aspect ratios.

Looking forward to see what you find out :) As for targeting WP 7, are there still people using this version of the OS? I mean, even Microsoft stops supporting it next month.

EDIT: Link for Microsoft support page regarding WP7 support life-cycle: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/default.aspx?LN=en-us&x=17&y=9&p1=17098
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

TCube

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2014, 01:05:29 pm »

Hello GrantDG !

nMedium Play is also on sale for half price at the moment!
I'm a bit pissed having paid 7.99 $ just 7 month ago for now what is just 3.99 !
Whatever, don't count on me on NMedium for Windows 8 tablet and either spreading the word anymore >:(
Rgds
T3

Ps : And please change your pitch "half the price" it makes my eyes sting . Just say a 4$ discount I would feel better  ;)

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2014, 04:13:28 am »

Hello GrantDG !
I'm a bit pissed having paid 7.99 $ just 7 month ago for now what is just 3.99 !
Whatever, don't count on me on NMedium for Windows 8 tablet and either spreading the word anymore >:(
Rgds
T3

Ps : And please change your pitch "half the price" it makes my eyes sting . Just say a 4$ discount I would feel better  ;)

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not... if not, I'm sorry you're upset - but really... it is only $4.

Also, I can't mention actual amounts - as the price is different in every jurisdiction (e.g. in Colombia - the app is $COP7000)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2014, 07:52:50 am »

I cannot find the infos on that any more.

Does nMedium Play honor the settings for video conversation given in MC's DLNA Settings? If yes, which format should be set to make videos being played on the phone? I cannot get videos play until the source file has the right format. So it looks, as if conversation setting aren't being honored?!

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2014, 11:57:03 pm »

I cannot find the infos on that any more.

Does nMedium Play honor the settings for video conversation given in MC's DLNA Settings? If yes, which format should be set to make videos being played on the phone? I cannot get videos play until the source file has the right format. So it looks, as if conversation setting aren't being honored?!

nMedium uses the video conversions settings available to the web services (not DLNA). The quality is configured via nMedium itself (Settings > Playback)

I do notice that transcode progress reporting seems to be broken, I'll have to look if if it's an nMedium issue or a JRiver one.

Thanks for the feedback

shades79

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2014, 01:59:08 am »

I've just started using nMedium today so I haven't had too much time with it, though a couple of issues are apparent to me early on.
Firstly I can't seem to find a setting to turn off repeat and most concerning is that it is draining my Lumia 920 battery very fast. Are these known issues?

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2014, 02:53:09 pm »

Hi shades,

Thanks for trying out nMedium!

I can't seem to find a setting to turn off repeat

Are you taking about with local (device) or remote (server) playback?

Currently there is no way to turn off repeat for local playback (I had a choice when it was coded to repeat or stop at the end - I thought that repeat was the better option). I could probably do something to allow you to toggle repeat via nMedium - but it's a bit of work and I'm really busy with my day job at the moment... I can add it to the list of enhancements if you'd really like to have it.

For remote playback, you can toggle repeat.
Go to 'playback options' in the menu drawer at the bottom of the playing now screen (click the triple dots to the right of the playback controls) - there's a selection on this options screen to select your repeat mode.

most concerning is that it is draining my Lumia 920 battery very fast.

This one is a little harder to diagnose - tho I doubt the issue is specifically an nMedium one. My last phone was a 920 - and it didn't have any specific battery issues - that I noticed.

When nMedium is not active on your phone screen (and I mean - actually visible on the screen), it, as with all WP apps, goes into a dormant state which uses no battery power.
If you are playing back audio locally, the audio system uses power - but the battery drain is the same no matter what app triggers the audio.

The biggest drains on phone battery life are the screen itself (when it is turned on) and any of the radio transmitters (Cellular, WiFi, Bluetooth). I've found that turning Bluetooth on only when I need it is a great benefit to battery life.

Does any of that help?

Feel free to reply here or PM me if you want some more info.

shades79

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2014, 04:49:40 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, local playback is what I was referring to. Personally for me it's a deal breaker, I mostly only listen through the phone when driving and I seem to forget the album has started again. It takes me back to the old days of car stereos repeating the CD without any setting to change it.

Though I may be in the minority here so I don't expect changes just for me, I can go back to using Plex (which has very poor library management for music, hence my shopping around) if I can't deal with repeating.

The battery issue didn't worry me that much as I only used it for one session and it could have been a random issue, I only mentioned it because I haven't had any battery concerns since 8.1 and Battery Saver showed extreme in use and background usage from this app and the phone was getting very hot.

Anyway, good work on supporting this platform, much appreciated. I'm happy to have paid for it even though it looks like it isn't for me, though at least I can still use it as a remote for my main system.

Krunchy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2015, 02:57:19 am »

Hi,

this short message to tell about two problems i have:
- when i skip a track, track changes (audio), but not on the phone (so it remains on the first track played). So i need to quit the program, going backt to it to have the playing song
- tag are not registered. i did that a few times on the phone and when i go back to JRiver, nothing

If you could help or do something about it, it would be nice

my device is Nokia 925. 8.1 Cyan
nMedium version is 2.6.1.9

Thanks

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2015, 02:51:44 pm »

Hi Krunchy,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. I gather you are talking about local playback?

- when i skip a track, track changes (audio), but not on the phone (so it remains on the first track played). So i need to quit the program, going backt to it to have the playing song

I'm not sure I understand this one - I just did a test, and it seems to work fine. My steps were:
  • Start playback on the phones via nMedium Play
  • Go to 'playlist' page
  • Use the WP audio control to skip to the next track
  • For me, the playlist 'current track' updates as expected.

Are you not seeing this or is the issue different to what I am doing ?

- tag are not registered. i did that a few times on the phone and when i go back to JRiver, nothing

I've also tested this one and it's working perfectly for me.

One thing to check, are you hitting the "OK" (tick) icon at the bottom of the tag view? Tags are not written back to JRiver till you do that.
Also, if you have the track in view in JRiver, you need to hover over it with you mouse to see updated values.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss more!

TCube

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2015, 06:43:25 am »

Hello !
As rumors go by with Wp10 next moves would you involved NMedium Play :
A - with music files from SD Card ?
B - with music files from One Drive  ?
C - with Flac music files ?
No rush required indeed  :D
Rgds
Tc

GrantDG

• World Citizen
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2015, 06:03:52 pm »

A - with music files from SD Card ?
B - with music files from One Drive  ?
C - with Flac music files ?

A - nMedium Play MAY one day support syncing files from JRiver to the device for truly local playback... but no timeframes
B - I highly doubt it - it will always see JRiver as its server
c - nMedium can already play FLAC files (when transcoded by JRiver for local playback  ;) ). When WP10 supports FLAC nativaly, and (A) above happens, then I don't see why this couldn't happen

As an aside to this - I'm very much looking forward to WP10 one day natively supporting HLS - which will make video playback significantly nicer!

TCube

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2015, 12:51:42 pm »

Hello Grant
Just an awesome update  : XBox Music ver. 2.6.674.0 makes streaming possible from One Drive as of today.
Tried it some mishaps on the user interface from tags uploaded on OneDrive but it gets by.
You really should consider it, if feasible. I am just pushing the case for smartphones  but goes 4 Windows RT ;)
Rgds
Tc

Edit FYI : No Go limit, just one limit : 50 000 files at most

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2015, 01:42:55 pm »

If I wanted to use this app to control a car PC running JRiver could I direct connect via Wi-Fi adapter on PC or would I need to add a wireless access point to create network?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of sarcasm known to the State of California to cause irritation.

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2015, 01:49:01 pm »

Hello Grant
Just an awesome update  : XBox Music ver. 2.6.674.0 makes streaming possible from One Drive as of today.
Tried it some mishaps on the user interface from tags uploaded on OneDrive but it gets by.
You really should consider it, if feasible. I am just pushing the case for smartphones  but goes 4 Windows RT ;)
Rgds
Tc

Edit FYI : No Go limit, just one limit : 50 000 files at most

Other "Limit" is I believe you can only use MP3 format. Probably not an issue for streaming to phone but I already have my Flac files backed up on OneDrive and would be nice to be able to stream those (yes I have unlimited data plan before anyone comments ;-) )
Warning: May contain trace amounts of sarcasm known to the State of California to cause irritation.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2015, 03:47:09 am »

If I wanted to use this app to control a car PC running JRiver could I direct connect via Wi-Fi adapter on PC or would I need to add a wireless access point to create network?
I once tried to create a AdHoc network to use nMedium as a remote for parties. This would be a solution you are looking for, right?

I was unable to make it work. I don't know if I just did it wrong (it is not that easy to create a AdHoc network with windows 8.1) or if a wireless access point really is needed to use nMedium...

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2015, 10:13:33 am »

I once tried to create a AdHoc network to use nMedium as a remote for parties. This would be a solution you are looking for, right?

I was unable to make it work. I don't know if I just did it wrong (it is not that easy to create a AdHoc network with windows 8.1) or if a wireless access point really is needed to use nMedium...

Thanks.  Doesn't appear that WP8 will accept an Ad-Hoc connection BUT chasing threads it may be possible to setup Virtual Access Point on PC and connect Phone to that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up