INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setup for biamped two way speakers, Crossovers  (Read 2068 times)

blampo

Setup for biamped two way speakers, Crossovers
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:05:28 am »

I am trying to use two amplifiers to power my highs and two 15" woofers using JRiver for my Mardi Gras float which rides in 36 hours.  Please help!!!!  I know audio and crossover design and JRiver looks very exciting but I cant get any sub output.  I am using a laptop with XP and an external 7.1 usb sound card.  Where do I start?  Settings under control panel.  Settings of usb card.  Settings in JRiver.  Please help me find an easy way to do this.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Setup for biamped two way speakers, Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:41:11 am »

I'm not an expert in this myself but I think it's probably Parametric Equaliser in the DSP settings you need. A quick search of this forum for "bi-amp" gives threads like the following which may help:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82326.0 (see last post)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69858.0

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Setup for biamped two way speakers, Crossovers
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:35 am »

I am trying to use two amplifiers to power my highs and two 15" woofers using JRiver for my Mardi Gras float which rides in 36 hours.  Please help!!!!  I know audio and crossover design and JRiver looks very exciting but I cant get any sub output.  I am using a laptop with XP and an external 7.1 usb sound card.  Where do I start?  Settings under control panel.  Settings of usb card.  Settings in JRiver.  Please help me find an easy way to do this.

As Csimon said, you'll need to go into PEQ to accomplish this, and those threads are good resources.  Given that your float is moving fast  ;D, I thought I'd offer a tailored response. There's more than one way to do things, but I'm going to give you some basic steps based on how I bi-amp that should get you most of the way there for a simple bi-amped system:

1) Go to JRiver's DSP-->studio--->output format .  In output format, set the output channels to 2 channels (in a 5.1 container).  Leave mixing at JRSS mixing.
2) Go to the DSP Studio-->parametric equalizer.  Once there, select the "mix channels" filter and set it to copy "Left" to "Surround Left." Use another "mix channels" filter to copy "Right" to "Surround Right."
3)  Then in Parametric Equalizer, make two "high pass filters." Set both of them to apply to both the Left and Right channels, and set the "slope" to 12dB for both of them.  Choose the frequency where you want the highs to switch over to the 15 inchers.
4) Then make two "low pass filters." Set both of them to apply to both the Surround Left and Surround Right channels, and set the "slope" to 12dB for both of them.  Choose the same frequency you chose above.
5) Then make sure the high frequency amp is connected to the Left and Right outputs of your USB soundcard, and the low frequency amp is connected to the Surround Left and Surround Right outputs of the soundcard.  If the soundcard isn't labelled for home theater, you'll want the high amp to be linked to the 1st and 2nd outputs and the low frequency to be linked to the 5th and 6th outputs.  

These settings will give you a symmetrical linkwitz-riley crossover with a 24dB per octave slope, which should produce good results, and will be similar to most pro-audio "crossover in a box" type products (like the Behringer cx3400).  If you need a different slope, or to integrate more channels/speakers, I can offer more specific instructions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up