INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote for iOS7  (Read 39744 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Re: JRemote for iOS7
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2014, 07:04:40 am »

Love the new version

I have two questions..

1) is there a way to use JRemote to control the streaming of youtube videos?  My kids like to listen to music through you tube and want to stream it to our home stereo.  I have not figured out a way to do this via the Ipad.

2)  This may be an MC question: Is there a way to control volume leveling - some songs are simply louder than others which forces us to increase/decrease volume almost on a  per song basis.

Thanks

dave

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2014, 09:51:25 am »

I recently purchased this and use it on my iPhone and IPad.  This is a wonderful app!

Super on the Ipad.  A little limited on the IPhone due to sizing issues.

Worth every penny and then some.
John

« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2014, 06:27:46 pm »

1) is there a way to use JRemote to control the streaming of youtube videos?  My kids like to listen to music through you tube and want to stream it to our home stereo.  I have not figured out a way to do this via the Ipad.
I don't think there is a way to control YouTube via JRemote.
The best solution is probably to buy an AirPort Express (or maybe a Chromecast?) and control via the YouTube app.

2)  This may be an MC question: Is there a way to control volume leveling - some songs are simply louder than others which forces us to increase/decrease volume almost on a  per song basis.
Are the files in your library analyzed?
Are you using any DSP other than Volume Leveling?
Are you playing random tracks, or an album?

Crom

• Recent member
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2014, 04:50:07 pm »

Hi LP,
I've been playing with 3.01 for a couple of weeks now and have some possible bugs to report and a couple of requests. FYI all of this has been noticed on an ipad 4 with latest ios.

Possible bugs:
1) when you remove a track from a playlist there is sometimes a significant delay between the gesture and the action happening. So much so that I've repeated the gesture and managed to delete 2 or 3 tracks. Is it possible to fail safe this so that the next gesture isn't recognised until the last one has been actioned
2) I'm getting constant network issues where the server disconnects and then has trouble re-connecting until I restart the app.
3) When I navigate between playlists and audio the main screen occasionally doesn't show the correct icons and instead shows top-level navigation icons which are not consistent with the rest of the app. I
4) when I navigate to either artist level or album level occasionally I get an empty view with a 'no content' error message. If I back out and then go back and then in again 2-3 times I eventually get it to show me the content. Sometimes the app crashes at this point.
5) in the playing now window if you touch your finger in top-left of screen (where it says ipad with the wifi logo on by ipad) the playlist scrolls up.

Requests:
1) can we have an option to switch off the volume control if we don't need it (or better still if it's switched off in JR). It's a small thing but it confuses almost everyone who tried out jremote here.
2) can we have an option to switch off the +/- seconds buttons as they are just no use for an audio-only setup.

I read an earlier comment about deleting the app to cure some of the network issues. I'll report back if successful.

Cheers for some great work,
Crom

« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »

Possible bugs:
1) when you remove a track from a playlist there is sometimes a significant delay between the gesture and the action happening. So much so that I've repeated the gesture and managed to delete 2 or 3 tracks. Is it possible to fail safe this so that the next gesture isn't recognised until the last one has been actioned
I find that the playlist just doesn't update for me at all unless you use a command that clears or replaces the entire list, or switch zones after making the change.
Definitely seems like a bug introduced in this version.

3) When I navigate between playlists and audio the main screen occasionally doesn't show the correct icons and instead shows top-level navigation icons which are not consistent with the rest of the app.
I find that this happens when resuming JRemote after it being in the background for a while. Reconnecting to the server fixes it.
This bug has been there for as long as I've been using the app, and is not new to the current version.

4) when I navigate to either artist level or album level occasionally I get an empty view with a 'no content' error message. If I back out and then go back and then in again 2-3 times I eventually get it to show me the content. Sometimes the app crashes at this point.
Yes, this has been happening a lot recently. It doesn't seem specific to any type of view.
I'm not sure what the cause is, but it's very frustrating. It seems like the new version is timing out requests too soon, if the server is slow to respond.

5) in the playing now window if you touch your finger in top-left of screen (where it says ipad with the wifi logo on by ipad) the playlist scrolls up.
That is standard iOS behavior when viewing any content that scrolls beyond the current view.

1) can we have an option to switch off the volume control if we don't need it (or better still if it's switched off in JR). It's a small thing but it confuses almost everyone who tried out jremote here.
I agree, it would be nice if the volume control was removed rather than staying at 0%.
I ended up just enabling Internal Volume on my server and leaving it at 100%.
I always use my DAC for volume control, but if someone else unfamiliar with my setup is using it, they prefer to control volume via the app.

2) can we have an option to switch off the +/- seconds buttons as they are just no use for an audio-only setup.
No use for video either - video is controlled via the regular iOS controls.
I find they clutter the display and are too easy to hit accidentally.

Here are a couple of mockups I posted a while back, showing how I'd prefer the app to look, using the native iOS colorscheme, and removing unnecessary controls:

I'm not saying it has to look exactly like that, but it would simplify the controls and make the app easier to use.

csimon

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2014, 03:23:50 am »

I find that the playlist just doesn't update for me at all unless you use a command that clears or replaces the entire list, or switch zones after making the change.
Definitely seems like a bug introduced in this version.

Nope, reported a long time ago.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79104.msg573120#msg573120

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2014, 06:26:59 pm »

You have to make sure both are mapped to separate port numbers on your gateway/firewall. When the request comes in, the gateway looks at the destination port number and matches it to the proper internal ip and port number.

So, the answer to your question lies in your setup on your gateway device.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
JRemote connection to JRiver hit or miss after iPad restart
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2014, 02:16:58 pm »

Hi Folks.  I am a new user of JRiver and JRemote and like both very much.  I have a nagging issue with JRemote that I cannot seem to resolve.  After restarting my iPad I find that JRemote does not reliably connect to JRiver even though I have the access key, the IP and MAC addresses of the computer hosting JRiver set up properly in JRemote.  Sometimes I have to play with JRiver, playing a song or something, to get JRemote to connect.

Is there anything that can be done or that I can look at to help resolve this issue?  Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2014, 05:24:55 pm »

Is the computer sleeping?

WoL can be challenging to set up.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2014, 03:46:04 pm »

Hi Glynor.  No the computer is not sleeping and I can have the full software package, including the user interface, or just the server service running with the same effect.  Must be cockpit problems (between the ears) on my side of things.  (PS.  I should have made this a standalone post as it took me forever to find my original in-line post.)  Thanks for the response!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2014, 05:33:56 pm »

It may be a Firewall issue on the computer that is running MC.  I'm guessing here, but if you didn't explicitly open the inbound port in the Windows firewall (or any third-party firewall) and are relying on uPNP to open the port, I can see it shutting the port down until it sees some kind of activity from the application locally.

Try disabling the software firewall entirely and see if the issue goes away.  If so, post back and I can tell you how to open the port.

All my other guesses would be something to do with how your WiFi network is set up, or how quickly the iPad connects to the WiFi network.  I can confirm that I don't see anything similar, but I have a pretty fancy network (and can access my main server even over the Internet, so ymmv).

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2014, 09:55:01 am »

Any sign of an update coming soon?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2014, 11:06:02 am »

Probably not soon.  LesPaul is coming to Minnesota this week for a JRiver visit.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Glynor, help would be appreciated
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2014, 12:52:10 pm »

It may be a Firewall issue on the computer that is running MC.  I'm guessing here, but if you didn't explicitly open the inbound port in the Windows firewall (or any third-party firewall) and are relying on uPNP to open the port, I can see it shutting the port down until it sees some kind of activity from the application locally.

Try disabling the software firewall entirely and see if the issue goes away.  If so, post back and I can tell you how to open the port.

All my other guesses would be something to do with how your WiFi network is set up, or how quickly the iPad connects to the WiFi network.  I can confirm that I don't see anything similar, but I have a pretty fancy network (and can access my main server even over the Internet, so ymmv).

Thanks I'll give it a shot.  I'll disable the firewall and do some testing.  If it helps and I can't figure out how to open that port, I'll request assistance.  Take care.

UPDATE:  Glynor, I disabled the software firewall and things are working well.  I was unable to figure out exactly what to do to open the specific port that MC needs but was able to see that MC19 had entries in the firewall setup.  There was also something called MC Extenders with an entry but neither the home/work or the public tick boxes were checked.

Please help with opening the specific port necessary.  Thanks in advance!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2014, 12:23:55 am »

No problem.  I can write it up tomorrow.  Can't tonight because delicious beer.  Also somewhat sleepy.

I think I did it before though, actually.  Might want to search interact for only my posts and something like port firewall or something.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #165 on: June 29, 2014, 05:22:55 am »

Hi Glynor,

I trust the beer was good.  I did a search and found something that Bob did in another post:

Select port
Click next
Choose TCP
Specfic local port: put in port 52199 (or whatever port you are using in MC's Media Network Settings)
Click Next
Allow the connection
Click Next
Make sure Domain, Public and Private are checked
Click Next
Put in a name that you like
Click done.

I made a new rule for port 52199 and will see how it works out.  Thanks again for the pointers!

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2014, 01:14:28 pm »

6233638, I have thought about the design, including your comments this last month.
The next version will make more use of the tint color in popups and other secondary views.
The iPhone version will use a blue header with white icons for the default theme.

Small design changes will probably be introduced in every version.

It won't be too long before I release the next version. There are a few more issues I want to look at, as well as optimizing the resizable covers a bit.

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2014, 01:21:13 pm »

Thanks for the update.

For what it's worth, I've been doing some skinning of Media Center myself recently, and I'm much more aware of how big a job something like this is.

It's easy to mock-up a "finished" screen, but drawing each part, and making sure it's pixel-perfect takes much longer.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »

Guys, I am locking this thread.
Please use the new Remotes board for future posts regarding JRemote or any other remotes related to JRiver.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=37.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up