INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist forgets Rules when playing from Library Server  (Read 7741 times)

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Smartlist forgets Rules when playing from Library Server
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:11:19 am »

Hello,

So it took me a while to figure out what was happening, because like so many bugs I can't reproduce 100% of the time. 

Here's the workflow / problem:

- I have an always-on PC on my network running 19.0.128, it's both connected to our HiFi and serving media throughout the house
- I use my macbook running 19.0.124 primarily to control MC on the PC, but to also play music form the server on my macbook
- I have groups of smartlists that sift and sort my collection to my liking.  These get a little cumbersome, 8-10 smartlists that together create the collection I'm looking for
- I then have a smartlist that points to the group (using the Rule "Playlist | Is Any | [name of group]")

Everything works well, most of the time.  But I find that if I do any tagging, especially (maybe) when I drag a song from now-playing to a static playlist, the next time I open up MC on my macbook the playlist group is no longer referenced, but instead that rule has changed to "Custom | [Playlist ID]=", and what I get is my entire library.

I have only seen this while making edits to tags and/or playlists, just playing seems to work well.

I can remote to the PC and do my edits that way, but I'd much rather use the MC on my mac.

Any ideas?

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Smartlist forgets Rules when playing from Library Server
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:14:02 am »

Oh hey, another clue is that deleting playlists from my macbook on the served library re-appear when I open MC the next time.

...and it's probably worth noting that I do authenticate with username/password when loading the library.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:58:52 pm »

It is a known limitation that deleting playlists from the client causes them to re-appear later.  You'll have to delete them on the server.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:18:50 pm »

Good to know - how about the first problem, with the rules of a smartlist changing or being forgotten?

MrC

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:33:08 pm »

Sorry, didn't notice it.  I think the same issue applies. I don't know that playlists can be edited on the client.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 05:40:47 pm »

Sorry, didn't notice it.  I think the same issue applies. I don't know that playlists can be edited on the client.

Playlists can.

I don't know about Smartlists.  I haven't tried, but I wouldn't be shocked if they couldn't be.  Matt only added a relevant MCWS command relatively recently.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 05:46:36 pm »

Oh, ok.  Then maybe this is just a bug.  I'm not very well versed in this area. If its a bug, then maybe the OP can report it in a build thread, referencing this one.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 02:54:49 am »

Editing smartlists on a client on the Windows version always causes me this kind of problem. I assumed it was just a limitation of library clients rather than a bug and so I always close all clients and then edit smartlists on the server. If it is just a bug it would be great to get it fixed as it's a bit of a pain currently.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 10:07:14 am »

I was only commenting on MrC's comment that he wasn't sure if you could edit Playlists from connected clients.  You can, for "static" playlists anyway (I don't think you can edit Smartlists from connected clients).  Originally you could not, but we got the ability back in MC17 I think (that was when we also gained the ability to have separate Playing Now lists for Clients and Servers).  And, actually, I'm pretty sure when they enabled this ability that is when this bug was introduced.

As far as your original question... I reported the same way back in December 2012:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75183.0

It was originally on the Beta board, and no one responded, so I just moved it over to the public MC19 Windows board so it can be viewed.

This is absolutely a problem.  BryanC also reported something similar over here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89307.msg613241#msg613241
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 11:50:41 am »

Thanks everyone - good to hear it's not just me. 

I guess I'll do all of my edits directly on the server.  Bummer, but not the end of the world.

ek654389

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 07:30:33 am »

So what is the timeframe on getting this fixed?   Or at least preventing it so that remote playlists don't get trashed and require rebuilding?   I can remember to only do changes on the server, but the rest of the family - not so much.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 06:26:15 pm »

Self-maintained prevention may be quicker than waiting for a fix...

Re: Smartlist "Playlists" Rule broken - always resorts to broken [Playlist ID]=
Read the link at the end of that post if you need a more 'fleshed out' explanation.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up