INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timeshifting/recording TV options  (Read 2973 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Timeshifting/recording TV options
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:42:33 pm »

Thought I'd toss Matt a nice slow pitch now that he's back.  Er, welcome back, Matt!

Okay matt, do you ever think about the feature set available for recording/timeshifting in Television?  Specifically, "recording" seems to be locked to time slots dictated by the EPG, while timeshifting lacks start/stop edit controls--you have to stop TV to stop time shifting, etc.

Problem is that Nascar races (and a lot of other sporting events) don't obey their EPG time slots.  An event may end an hour early, or go an hour long.  I'll bet that timeshifting could be readily configured so that you can set it for 6 hours, come back and cut it to fit your 3 hour event.  Any interest?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Timeshifting/recording TV options
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:25:31 pm »

Problem is that Nascar races (and a lot of other sporting events) don't obey their EPG time slots.

Just tell it to record an hour longer when you schedule the recording.  I do this all the time for football games, for example.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:00:13 pm »

And you thought you would throw Matt a curve ball :)

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:08:21 am »

Well, we've got a certain "Game 1" coming up tonight, so school me on this.  I'll set it to extend 60 minutes past.  Now since I'm watching it, I'll know when I want it to finish.  Let's say it runs 15 minutes past, so I reset it to say, 16 minutes past in order to end it.  When I tried that before it wasn't clear to me if it was working like that, and whether it required time shifting to be active.

Talking about timeshifting, when I look at the format it records to, it just seems to shout "editable".  Hmmmm?

Regarding G1, you taking the Billionaires?

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:13:24 am »

ALSO:

Let's say I start record at the +1 default setting, but I discover the first 30 minutes is nothing but old retirees quacking about nothing.  Can I reset the start time while continuing to record?  Say at minute 32 reset the start time to -30 and not screw it all up?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:16:39 am »

...  but I discover the first 30 minutes is nothing but old retirees quacking about nothing.
Hey!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:24:57 am »

Well, we've got a certain "Game 1" coming up tonight, so school me on this.  I'll set it to extend 60 minutes past.  Now since I'm watching it, I'll know when I want it to finish.  Let's say it runs 15 minutes past, so I reset it to say, 16 minutes past in order to end it.  When I tried that before it wasn't clear to me if it was working like that, and whether it required time shifting to be active.

Talking about timeshifting, when I look at the format it records to, it just seems to shout "editable".  Hmmmm?

Regarding G1, you taking the Billionaires?
If you set for 60 minutes past, you just use the OSD to stop the recording when the game is up. If you set it to the exact EPG info, but are watching time-shifted (like 30 minutes behind live), time-shifting continues past the EPG stop time, but starts a new "file." When you finally stop, you can choose to save the extra time-shifted amount.

In Tools > Options > Television > Time-Shifting make sure you have "Save on Stop" set to the option you want. I use "always ask."

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:47:49 am »

ALSO:

Let's say I start record at the +1 default setting, but I discover the first 30 minutes is nothing but old retirees quacking about nothing.  Can I reset the start time while continuing to record?  Say at minute 32 reset the start time to -30 and not screw it all up?

Thanks!
It doesn't take up that much space. Just set a new start time in the Playback Range tag. For 32 minutes in use "00:32:00-".

jgreen

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »

OTA HD is stinkin FAT.  I ain't gonna make room for no quacking!!

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 10:04:35 pm »

So far so good.  Fingers crossed (gamewise) . . .

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 10:44:51 pm »

The Billionaires gave up in the fourth.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 11:19:40 am »

ALSO:

Thanks!

I did not read this carefully yesterday.  Now I understand what you asked.  The answer is probably "no you can't do that".  Once recording has started, the recording engine already has got the start time and it can not be changed.

The stop time can be changed any time, as long as recording has not reached the previously set stop time yet.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 10:07:05 am »

Yes, Yao, I tested this.  Adjusting the front does nothing, it just looks at you.  Adjusting the back time works quite well--I chopped off 40 minutes yesterday.

I think the current capability of recording a "show" either one time or repeatedly is important, and works very very well.  It is EASY.  What I miss versus a "startr/stop" recorder is simply the ability to stop a recording 30 minutes into the event and restart it now that they are FINALLY getting to the action.   

Umm, can we get some predictions for the NBA series?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 01:21:06 pm »

Umm, can we get some predictions for the NBA series?

Spurs in 7.

jgreen

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 07:15:15 pm »

They're gonna need at least seven, maybe eight.

jgreen

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 10:45:45 pm »

Well, so much for Miami winning both their home games.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 08:22:44 am »

Uh oh, my prediction could be wrong.

jgreen

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:43 am »

Yes, you were mistaken!

FWIW, here is my workaround for manually setting -in and -out points for recording.

1.  Since the program must be visible in the epg to setup a recording, set up and start a recording for the program, even if you don't plan on keeping the first hour.

2.  Record until the point nears that you wish to set your true "in" point (with nascar this can be 90 minutes in). 

3.  Reconfigure the recording to stop by changing to a negative end point.  AND stop playing, so that the timeshifting buffer is cleared.

4.  Go to the "recordings" tab where the history of past recordings is held, and reconfigure that recording with a new stop time.  No need to change the start time, it will start when you set it up.

It worked for me, not sure if this was an intended use.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 01:36:52 pm »

That certainly works.  It requires that you be present to do all those things.  I can suggest the following two alternatives:

1. If you know ahead of time when the true starting point will be, you can schedule it.  Firstly, just schedule to record the program.  In the step where you choose "start early by x minutes", enter a negative number.  This way you do not have to be present when the program is showing.

2. If you do not know how long into the program is your true starting point, you then need to start watching it live until you see that it is near your starting point.  You need to stop viewing the live show, and then schedule the recording, which will start immediately.  This is essentially the same as your method, except that you do not need to schedule the recording early, then stop it, then re-enable it.  The drawback is if you are not available at the time the program starts, you may miss the entire show.

jgreen

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 04:47:56 pm »

Actually, I like the Spurs, I just didn't think they had a chance against all that power.

Regarding the scheduling, I didn't even think of that, even when I was using the end time to cut short.  Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up