INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Several quick questions before I buy  (Read 4497 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Several quick questions before I buy
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:36:22 am »

My wife just got a new Mac Mini without an optical drive. Up to this point she has used itunes to rip CD's as we buy them. I would like to just buy MC for the Mac and let it use our main library on the HTPC.

Here's the questions:
1) The Mac version is basically the same as using the Windows version in standard view right?
2) She will be getting a new iphone when the next one is released. Will it be supported?
3) No problem running it on 2 Macs in the house?
4) Is library sharing basically the same as on 2 PC's I have? I'll just be adding 2 more.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Several quick questions before I buy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:40:00 am »

1.  No
2.  No
3.  No problem
4.  Yes, if they are all the same major version.

Ripping isn't available yet in MC for Mac.  Coming soon.  It also doesn't do video or photos.  Just audio.

You could rip on the PC's and play on the Mac's.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:57:43 pm »

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but this is what I do:

- my library is housed on a headless PC that I remote into when I need to do maintenance
- I create an MP3 copy of about 75% of the library in a folder on our NAS that is managed as a device so I can use MC to keep it updated
- my wife's iTunes gets its music files from the NAS, with iTunes being told not to copy/organize music folder/etc

Also, we both use JRemote extensively on our phones and tablets. 

The whole setup works OK, I think it's about the best I can do with what we've got.  iPhones are just a pain to sync music to; it may be time for me to switch, but I doubt my wife will any time soon.

I still use MC for Mac on my macbook, but mostly to tap into the new music that I load up on the main server so that I can listen, catalog, tag, etc. before it goes into our main library.

Hope that helps!

rec head

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:12:06 am »

I think the lack of iphone compatability might make it a no go.

AudioBorg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:11:02 am »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the iPhone support requirement you have - but - why not use JRemote on her iPhone?

It's a great app and I believe the developer is now on JRiver staff.

AB

rec head

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »

WRT the iphone support I just meant copying/syncing music. She already has JRemote.

rec head

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 01:50:14 pm »

OK so she got the new Mac and I installed MC19 on the old computer to see it. Well it looks like Standard View to me. I'm not quite sure what you meant by saying it wasn't.

Library sharing/syncing is working on Windows MC20 and Mac MC19.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 02:13:14 pm »

OK so she got the new Mac and I installed MC19 on the old computer to see it. Well it looks like Standard View to me. I'm not quite sure what you meant by saying it wasn't.
I think what he meant was that the Mac version has a much more limited feature-set than the Windows version of Media Center.
For the features that are in (music playback/library management) it should act very similarly to the Windows version.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the iPhone support requirement you have - but - why not use JRemote on her iPhone?

It's a great app and I believe the developer is now on JRiver staff.

AB

We both use JRemote lots - but with a lot of listening it's heavy on our data use.  Also, we live near the Rockies and there are huge swaths of paradise out there without cell coverage. 

- P
Pages: [1]   Go Up