INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Western Digital (WD) TV Live Media Player as Client (DMR) for MC?  (Read 3183 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Western Digital (WD) TV Live Media Player as Client (DMR) for MC?
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:32:55 am »

I'd like to use something to stream my music (and videos) from MC via LAN to my receiver. The time I bought my receiver I was thinking "Why the hell should I need an AV with network support?". Now I moved and have my AV and PC in different rooms.

I was thinking to buy a WD TV Live Media Player (german/english amazon link). Is it possible to integrate this player into a network and control playback via MC? The Box should act as an DLNA Digital Media Renderer or something similar.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re: Western Digital (WD) TV Live Media Player as Client (DMR) for MC?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:55:07 am »

Got the answer here in an other topic.
Looks as if the Box is a good renderer :)

Carcajou

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »

An entry level DLNA Blue Ray disc player may meet your requirements  - please verify that the type of files you want to send to the DMR are supported by the DMR device before you buy - I use an old Sony S590 blue ray disk player for music and - occasional - for movies DMR playback.

Carcajou

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 04:47:31 pm »

Well, I already got this small box. (Sidenote: the best remote I EVER had in my hands. Not because of the button layout, but it fits PERFECTLY in ones hands because of its nice backside shape.). It is a great renderer and setup is very easy. I only tried very few files and they were rendered fine :)

BUT: I didn't know about all the DLNA limitations (mainly: no DSP support in MC). The box is no solution for me, neither is any DLNA Player. I'll send it back. Thoughts about what (cheap) solution is coming next are over there.

Anyway: the idea to buy an old blue ray Player to get an DLNA renderer is nice :) I should have asked before, then I'd have tried this solution instead of the WD TV with all the things I'd probably never use even if I kept it. Of course with the same bad result because I found that DLNA is not the solution for me here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:51:27 pm »

I reported on a couple of BD players recently.  Maybe on the media network board.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 08:02:43 am »

I can verify that entry level Sony BD players work just fine as a DMR at least for audio. Something neither my Denon 2112CI or my Panasonic BDT210 are able to do. The Denon works sort of but easily gets locked up and requires the power to be removed to work again. Too bad as Gizmo wakes it from standby and controls its volume. The Panny when set up as a DMR just says could not play whenever MC says tells it to play something

The Sony I bought is a BDP S5200 but BestBuy had a cheaper that appeared to differ only in doing 3D. My brother has a later Denon, next time I am over there I might see if it works any better, I would really like to have a receiver that works robustly as a DMR.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:33:27 am »

Could you do some video testing?! Now as JRiver added DSP to MC I'm rethinking to change my 12.5meter HDMI cable to a BD player. But it should be capable of video playback.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 08:07:07 am »

Could you do some video testing?! Now as JRiver added DSP to MC I'm rethinking to change my 12.5meter HDMI cable to a BD player. But it should be capable of video playback.

I played back some video on the Sony BDP-5200. I did not pay attention to the formats other than they were rips of some kind from music DVDs no HD video. I was able to launch about 3 and they played alright. The next file I launched would not play nor any others after that. I rebooted the Sony again and it still did not want to play any video. I did not unplug it and start all over.

That was not enough for the evening. I much more interested in music over DLNA. It seemed very robust with MP3 and Flac audio files. I can't really say what it can and can not do with video based on my short test. It may require some transcoding or only support specific file formats. I was somewhat disappointed by the video testing. It is a Sony and they are pretty paranoid about DRM so who knows. Maybe someone else who has one of these Sony players can chime in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up