INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 367206 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2014, 12:23:30 pm »

I tried all the ports.  I tried 3 different cables.

The Dragonfly (early version) works fine.  The DEQX machine is essential to my main system and it works driverless with 3 different Macs, that's the puzzle. 
Ok I think I've found this.
Your device is muting by default.
The boot settings don't take into account external devices.
If MC was set to System instead of Internal the Mute switch should fix this but it's not working in System mode.
The perfect storm.

At a minimum we'll try to get the mute working with system.
Also perhaps change the boot to do some n number of external devices initialization
and perhaps make a generic mixer control available from the Id's menus...

Groundhog

• Recent member
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2014, 01:36:09 pm »

I've been having a problem when controlling the Id with JRemote. When I try to play a single file or add a single file to the Playing Now playlist, the file is not played or added. If I select a group of files, the group of files plays or adds to Playing Now just fine.

This happens whether I have the Id pull music from a server or I have the server push music to the Id.

This isn't a general problem with JRemote. With JRemote connected to MC20 running on a Windows PC, I can play/add a single file to Player just fine. However, if I have that machine push music to the Id, the problem does occur.

Setup Notes:
I have the Id Library configured to point to a MC20 Library Server running on a Windows PC. That PC is pulling media from a Synology NAS file server.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:24 pm »

Ok I think I've found this.
Your device is muting by default.
The boot settings don't take into account external devices.
If MC was set to System instead of Internal the Mute switch should fix this but it's not working in System mode.
The perfect storm.

At a minimum we'll try to get the mute working with system.
Also perhaps change the boot to do some n number of external devices initialization
and perhaps make a generic mixer control available from the Id's menus...

However I just tested the Id on a dragonfly and the system (PCM) mute switch is working fine in MC.
So did you check to see if the mute function in the MC volume control does anything when the volume control is set to system?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2014, 02:18:07 pm »

I've been having a problem when controlling the Id with JRemote. When I try to play a single file or add a single file to the Playing Now playlist, the file is not played or added. If I select a group of files, the group of files plays or adds to Playing Now just fine.

This happens whether I have the Id pull music from a server or I have the server push music to the Id.

This isn't a general problem with JRemote. With JRemote connected to MC20 running on a Windows PC, I can play/add a single file to Player just fine. However, if I have that machine push music to the Id, the problem does occur.

Setup Notes:
I have the Id Library configured to point to a MC20 Library Server running on a Windows PC. That PC is pulling media from a Synology NAS file server.
That's a complex setup! BTW, how does the Windows PC running library server get the files from the NAS? As a windows share or as a DLNA server?
Trying to narrow this down can you try this?
So if you use JRemote to connect to the Windows PC running the Library server and select the Id as the zone to playback to and you play a single file it doesn't work?
BUT if you select the "player" as the zone (the Windows PC) it does?

Groundhog

• Recent member
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2014, 05:25:42 pm »

That's a complex setup!
Don't get me started.

BTW, how does the Windows PC running library server get the files from the NAS? As a windows share or as a DLNA server?
The Windows PC running library server gets the files from the NAS as a Windows share. The NAS is only a file server in this setup.

So if you use JRemote to connect to the Windows PC running the Library server and select the Id as the zone to playback to and you play a single file it doesn't work? BUT if you select the "player" as the zone (the Windows PC) it does?
That's correct.

To articulate the issue in more detail, the problem happens in two scenarios:
(1) JRemote connects to the Id. The Id pulls music from the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server. The Id playback zone is set to Player (which is the Id).
(2) JRemote connects to the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server. The playback zone is set to the Id.

The problem does not occur when:
(3) JRemote connects to the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server. The playback zone is set to Player, which is the PC.
(4) I use the Windows PC directly - not with JRemote - and set the playback zone to the Id.

I don't keep any music files on the Id, so I haven't tried using JRemote to play a single local file on the Id.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2014, 06:36:26 pm »

Don't get me started.
The Windows PC running library server gets the files from the NAS as a Windows share. The NAS is only a file server in this setup.
That's correct.

To articulate the issue in more detail, the problem happens in two scenarios:
(1) JRemote connects to the Id. The Id pulls music from the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server. The Id playback zone is set to Player (which is the Id).
(2) JRemote connects to the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server. The playback zone is set to the Id.

The problem does not occur when:
(3) JRemote connects to the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server. The playback zone is set to Player, which is the PC.
(4) I use the Windows PC directly - not with JRemote - and set the playback zone to the Id.

I don't keep any music files on the Id, so I haven't tried using JRemote to play a single local file on the Id.

Thanks that's quite clear.
I'm likely going to have to setup something to duplicate this.
Could you try this test? Add a mp3 to the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server and try to play that single song on the Id with JRemote.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2014, 06:49:11 pm »

However I just tested the Id on a dragonfly and the system (PCM) mute switch is working fine in MC.
So did you check to see if the mute function in the MC volume control does anything when the volume control is set to system?

If that doesn't work, I think your device might not support the mute switch on the PCM output (like the dragonfly).
You could check this but connecting the device to a generic linux machine (or use a live CD of say ubuntu) and running alsamixer from the command line.
I worked a fallback to the master mute in case the PCM mute doesn't exist. This might fix your issue. It will be out in the next update...

parrok

« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2014, 08:54:42 pm »

I selected the GUI option - the screen went blank and the power on/off button does not respond. I unplugged the power and started again - get an unreadable graphic screen at startup then a blank screen.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2014, 11:48:19 pm »

I selected the GUI option - the screen went blank and the power on/off button does not respond. I unplugged the power and started again - get an unreadable graphic screen at startup then a blank screen.
Did it work ok in text mode?
Was this from an update or first boot of a newly shipped unit (when did you get it? You could PM me the serial number).
Try a different HDMI cable?

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2014, 02:30:50 am »

If that doesn't work, I think your device might not support the mute switch on the PCM output (like the dragonfly).
You could check this but connecting the device to a generic linux machine (or use a live CD of say ubuntu) and running alsamixer from the command line.
I worked a fallback to the master mute in case the PCM mute doesn't exist. This might fix your issue. It will be out in the next update...

I think you've nailed it, Bob. 
With the Dragonfly, the Mute works in both System and Internal.  I get music.
With the xCORE USB Audio 2.0, the Mute only works in Internal.  I don't get music.
Great work as always.  Look forward to the update.

Groundhog

• Recent member
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2014, 10:57:29 am »

Thanks that's quite clear.
I'm likely going to have to setup something to duplicate this.
Could you try this test? Add a mp3 to the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server and try to play that single song on the Id with JRemote.

I tested this scenario this morning. I put a single mp3 file on the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server and imported the file into MC20.
Using JRemote, I could play the single mp3 file. I could not play a single file from the NAS file server.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2014, 11:52:30 am »

I tested this scenario this morning. I put a single mp3 file on the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server and imported the file into MC20.
Using JRemote, I could play the single mp3 file. I could not play a single file from the NAS file server.

Thanks. Now to eliminate possible conversion issues, are any of the files on your NAS mp3?
If you haven't already, could you try playing a mp3 from the NAS using JRemote?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2014, 01:03:15 pm »

I think you've nailed it, Bob. 
With the Dragonfly, the Mute works in both System and Internal.  I get music.
With the xCORE USB Audio 2.0, the Mute only works in Internal.  I don't get music.
Great work as always.  Look forward to the update.
The update is online. Let us know if it solves your issue.

parrok

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2014, 03:31:30 pm »

Did it work ok in text mode?
Was this from an update or first boot of a newly shipped unit (when did you get it? You could PM me the serial number).
Try a different HDMI cable?
Worked in text mode - first thing I did was update but that finished very quickly. Will send you the serial number and also try a different HDMI cable.

Update: Tried different HDMI cable - no change

Groundhog

• Recent member
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2014, 11:14:28 am »

Thanks. Now to eliminate possible conversion issues, are any of the files on your NAS mp3?
If you haven't already, could you try playing a mp3 from the NAS using JRemote?

I started testing this more thoroughly yesterday afternoon and the mystery only deepened. I found that some files located on the NAS file server single-play just fine. Others won't. Being completely baffled, I started looking for some commonality among the files that won't play.

And... I've just isolated the fail case (though I'm having a hard time understanding why the failure occurs). I have a custom library field named "Key," which stores the key signature for classical pieces: C major, D minor, that sort of thing. Any file which has a value for the Key field won't single-play. It turns out it doesn't matter if the file is on the NAS or on the Windows PC running the MC20 DLNA & Library Server. The format FLAC, mp3, ALAC) also doesn't matter.

Most of my library is classical and most of the classical music files have a value in the Key field. That's why it appeared the problem was related to the file server - all of the files I tried initially were classical and had the Key field populated. When I copied am mp3 file to the Windows PC, by chance I picked a popular music track which didn't have a value in the Key field.

Additional info:
The Key field is set up as type String with the option to Save in File Tags on.

Please let me know if you need additional information or testing.

-Brent

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2014, 11:27:03 am »

What happens if you move the data to a tag with a different name?  newkey, for example.

It's possible that key is a standard tag and now available for use as a custom tag.

Groundhog

• Recent member
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2014, 01:34:31 pm »

What happens if you move the data to a tag with a different name?  newkey, for example.

It's possible that key is a standard tag and now available for use as a custom tag.

As you suggested, I created a new custom field, copied the Key tags to the new field, deleted them from the Key field.
And... that did the trick. I'm now able to single-play every file I've tried.

I appreciate the workaround. This is obviously not a critical bug, but I hope you'll fix it at some point.

Thanks,
-Brent

G. Shumway

• Recent member
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2014, 02:18:55 pm »

I just discovered that I had unintentionally checked "Disable Automatic Update" in the Update Channels menu of my Id.  I unchecked it today and an update ran that came up with a question for which I don't know the best answer.  The update says:

Configuration file '/etc/default/nfs-common'
==> File on system created by you or a script.
==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it?  Your options are:
     Y or I   :  install the package maintainer's version
     N or 0   :  keep your currently-installed version
     D   :  show the differences between versions
     Z   :  start a shell to examine the situation
  The default action is to keep your current version.

What should I choose, Y or N?

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2014, 10:58:47 pm »

The update is online. Let us know if it solves your issue.

Nope, no difference after a "12" update & reboot.  Update channel set to latest.  System Volume has no mute function.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2014, 02:34:57 am »

At the NFS question just hit enter.

dintymoore2003

« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2014, 09:46:57 am »

Hi, I'm wondering if the ID is capable of or perhaps will evolve into a fully capable MC Client running ROHQ and Theater View?  Or is the intent to have a solid "play to" or zone device where the user pushes content to it?  Getting right to the practicality of my question - can the ID replace a HTPC that I've been saving for, which will basically be a MC Client?

Similar approach on the media extender side of things.  I can buy a $100 Echo and have all the functionality of WMC with an IR remote control.  Can the ID someday work as a similar extender for MC?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2014, 11:09:18 am »

The Id is heading toward HTPC use but it will take some time.   We have video working now.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2014, 11:42:14 am »

The "Update Channels" function is not used on the Id.
It was removed in version 20.0.22.

The update to the Id are done by selecting that option from the text menu. When you do this the Id will look for updates for both MediaCenter and the Id firmware.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:03 am »

Nope, no difference after a "12" update & reboot.  Update channel set to latest.  System Volume has no mute function.
Check to make sure the build is 20.0.22.

If that's the case you are going to have to get more info on what the DAC is doing by either plugging it into a generic linux PC and running alsamixer or running alsamixer from a live CD linux disk.

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2014, 01:01:20 am »

Check to make sure the build is 20.0.22.

If that's the case you are going to have to get more info on what the DAC is doing by either plugging it into a generic linux PC and running alsamixer or running alsamixer from a live CD linux disk.

No, the version was still 19.0.160 after I updated yesterday.  I think we had a time problem, the update was probably not up on your server because I'm 13 hours ahead of you.  There was an update today, however but...... I can't tell you which version resulted from that because MC doesn't start at all now.  All that boots is mainmenu :'(.  I can see the Id on the network though not in MC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2014, 12:25:19 pm »

No, the version was still 19.0.160 after I updated yesterday.  I think we had a time problem, the update was probably not up on your server because I'm 13 hours ahead of you.  There was an update today, however but...... I can't tell you which version resulted from that because MC doesn't start at all now.  All that boots is mainmenu :'(.  I can see the Id on the network though not in MC.
Do the update again.
It's a multipart process.
It may take up to 3 times to finish.

HStan

• Recent member
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »

May I ask a novice question here? ...
When you run Id from a Windows 7 PC, does it have to be a remote-capable Windows (Professional) or will Windows 7 Home Premium work? Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2014, 01:43:19 pm »

Any Windows machine that can run MC will work with the Id. 

Welcome to the forum.

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2014, 03:28:31 am »

Do the update again.
It's a multipart process.
It may take up to 3 times to finish.

Did the update 6 times in GUI and 3 times in headless text.  No MC, just mainmenu.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2014, 10:28:53 am »

Did the update 6 times in GUI and 3 times in headless text.  No MC, just mainmenu.
Are you certain that it can reach outside of your home network?
Even if it didn't get the 20 update it should be well past 19.0.160 if it was able to get out.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2014, 10:56:58 am »

I'd like to change the hostname of the Id—not the name presented in MC/clients (which I can change using MC) but the actual network hostname. The current one shows on all of my computers as id-c0xxxmacaddress and it looks pretty ugly as part of an otherwise pleasantly named network. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2014, 10:59:19 am »

In MC on another PC, you can right click on it in Playing Now to rename it.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »

In MC on another PC, you can right click on it in Playing Now to rename it.

Jim, this only changes the name shown in MC, but it does not change the name showing in Mac's Finder, Windows File Explorer etc—that name is still the old hostname containing the MAC address. I would like to change that name, because that is what shows on all of my network devices. Thanks!

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2014, 09:31:42 pm »

Are you certain that it can reach outside of your home network?
Even if it didn't get the 20 update it should be well past 19.0.160 if it was able to get out.

I just tried updates plugged directly into the cable modem.  No change, no MC.  Id is shown connected to lan and wlan, by right-clicking in the blank area. 
Where are the network settings?  Should I post the results of "11"?
Could the last failed update be corrupted? How and where to reset Id?  "77" doesn't change anything for me.
Firmware issue?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2014, 09:53:04 am »

I just tried updates plugged directly into the cable modem.  No change, no MC.  Id is shown connected to lan and wlan, by right-clicking in the blank area. 
Where are the network settings?  Should I post the results of "11"?
Could the last failed update be corrupted? How and where to reset Id?  "77" doesn't change anything for me.
Firmware issue?

If you have a LAN and WLAN connection perhaps there is a default routing issue.
Unless there is a reason to have both enabled at the same time, you shouldn't configure the WLAN for use.
Can you PM me with the results of your network info?

G. Shumway

• Recent member
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2014, 04:26:17 am »

At the NFS question just hit enter.

Worked (of course). Thank you.

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2014, 01:15:46 pm »

For Almost 2 weeks I have had the id playing via lan to my avr controlled by gizmo, and I am quite pleased with the results, it is more stable than any other configuration I have tried.
I can drag and drop files to it and they appear in gizmo within minutes
I have been runing in gui mode. When i tried headless it became unstable and I was not able to access it from other pc's on the lan. shoudn't I be able to see the id mc from other pc's in headless mode?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2014, 02:10:46 pm »

We believe this is due to a recent BIOS problem.  We've reported it to Intel.  Here's what Bob said:

"The bios issue on the Id is that it will not boot in headless mode if
 the bios is > version 34.

"This is in linux with kernel 3.14.
 In this mode we disable the kernel hdmi initialization with in bios 34
 lets it boot without a monitor but it hangs somewhere during the boot
 process with anything newer... (and 38 was supposed to fix some
 wireless issues). 39 doesn't work either."

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2014, 02:53:05 pm »

For Almost 2 weeks I have had the id playing via lan to my avr controlled by gizmo, and I am quite pleased with the results, it is more stable than any other configuration I have tried.
I can drag and drop files to it and they appear in gizmo within minutes
I have been runing in gui mode. When i tried headless it became unstable and I was not able to access it from other pc's on the lan. shoudn't I be able to see the id mc from other pc's in headless mode?
Check the bios version and change it here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91344.msg633654#msg633654
if necessary.

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2014, 03:52:07 pm »

Thanks, I think I will leave it alone until tidal comes along :)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2014, 07:23:41 am »

So if I understand correctly the Id has been updated to v20? Does that mean it plays video as well?

I see on the pictures it's the thicker version which can house a 2.5" HDD. Is that in use or do you supply it with an Msata SSD? If the 2.5" bay is empty, is it possible to add a disk for local storage?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2014, 09:11:35 am »

The 2.5 inch drive bay is used for the 120GB SSD.  We may offer a bigger drive as an option.

It works for video.  It's not perfect yet.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2014, 10:30:26 am »

May I ask why you didn't use the mSata slot? That way the user could put in a regular 2.5" HDD for local storage.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2014, 10:57:04 am »

True.  We might some day.  But I don't think that large mSata memory sticks are available.

I take it back.  They are available and similar in price.  Is there a speed difference?

Bob might look into this.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2014, 11:02:19 am »

May I ask why you didn't use the mSata slot? That way the user could put in a regular 2.5" HDD for local storage.

Msata SSDs also typically cost between 10% and 15% more than the equivalent 2.5 inch drive, so that would push up the price of the Id.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2014, 11:10:22 am »

Lately quite a few more mSATA drives appeared, so it might be feasible now to do it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2014, 11:12:06 am »

mSATA sticks are available all the way up to 480GB. Edit: I see you edited your post.

As for prices, over here the Crucial M500 2.5" SATA-600 is a whopping 50 cents cheaper than the mSATA variant  ;D.

Prices have come down hard lately.

As for speed, I think its equivalent. Top performance is for 2.5" (high end) SSD's but in the average to high level, mSATA is up there with the rest.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2014, 11:14:10 am »

There is no speed difference given equal model, the physical size isn't required. M.2 is even smaller with the same performance (and with M.2 PCIe even much faster).
I have a 840 EVO mSATA in one system I use, and it works beautifully.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2014, 11:21:30 am »

mSATA sticks are available all the way up to 480GB. Edit: I see you edited your post.

As for prices, over here the Crucial M500 2.5" SATA-600 is a whopping 50 cents cheaper than the mSATA variant  ;D.

Prices have come down hard lately.

I was basing it off of the samsungs, which are still 15% more expensive where I am (i.e. 250GB 2.5s are $125. the msatas are $145). 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2014, 11:22:31 am »

I ordered one for Bob.  Should be delivered Wednesday.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 26   Go Up