INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 367628 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2014, 05:07:55 pm »

What is the best way to add memory to the Id?
replacing the 128 gb ssd with a 256 or can I add a 128 gb to the usb 3 port?
I think you mean disk, not memory.  You can't modify the drive.  We might offer larger drives in the future.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: November 17, 2014, 05:17:25 pm »

What is the best way to add memory to the Id?
replacing the 128 gb ssd with a 256 or can I add a 128 gb to the usb 3 port?
I'll add that the plan is to support external drives plugged into the usb port.
Likely you'll have the choice of read-only or read-write on the main menu.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2014, 05:41:06 pm »

I'm sorry you're having this trouble.
What builds are you running on you windows PC and the Id?
I assume you are on 20.0.33 on the Id since you've said it's up to date.

In the case of the Id you are loading the NAS with DLNA since it doesn't have another way to load an external non-MC library.
How are you loading the NAS on windows? As a DLNA server or a share?

Yes, it's 20.0.33 on the Id.
It's 20.0.37 on my Windows 8.1 desktop PC.
The Netgear ReadyNAS312 loads on Windows as a DLNA server.
The Id will not "import" files from the NAS.
It will only "look" for files on its internal SSD.
I have tried clearing the library, rebooting and reloading the library.
I have also tried resetting the Id to default and reloading the library.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: November 17, 2014, 11:37:28 pm »

Yes, it's 20.0.33 on the Id.
It's 20.0.37 on my Windows 8.1 desktop PC.
The Netgear ReadyNAS312 loads on Windows as a DLNA server.
The Id will not "import" files from the NAS.
It will only "look" for files on its internal SSD.
I have tried clearing the library, rebooting and reloading the library.
I have also tried resetting the Id to default and reloading the library.

Did it cutoff right at 5000?
I tried to duplicate this however there's only about 5200 in my library so of course it worked. Also since I don't have your specific NAS it could be a bit tricky.
You loaded it exactly the same way in the previous version?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: November 18, 2014, 12:40:33 am »

Here is an Id repair utility image link:
http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepair.iso
and its md5sum
http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepair.iso.md5

This is large, just under a gig. It can be copied directly to a 1 gig or larger usb stick using your favorite imaging utility.
After copying, plug it into the Id and reboot. Hit F10 when the bios screen comes up and select the usb stick.
After a quick boot you should get the main menu.
Arrow down off of the repair boot within 10 seconds if you want to do the memory test otherwise just wait or hit enter.

The repair menu has:
An Id filesystem check
A boot fixup
A way to restore the original MC configuration and
A way to reinstall the Id firmware in case the Id has gotten corrupted.

This is an alpha version. There are almost certainly some issues though none that I know of at this time.
If you restore the firmware you will lose your library (but not the files on the Id share).
If you need the library, back it up to the share before starting this process.

You should NOT reinstall the firmware unless your Id is not booting into MC properly.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #255 on: November 18, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »

Hi Rafal,
If you are using the Mac as the source of the music (you connect to the Mac with JRemote) you will have to wait until the next build is out. I'd expect that to be pretty soon.
We are working on different focuses on each platform so the releases don't come out in a synchronized manner.

Bob, I've just upgraded the MC server on the Mac to 20.0.38. I am also using it with the recently updated Id—many thanks for your help with the Id upgrade—and with JRemote 3.10 beta. I can report that the problem we have been discussing since post #160, that is of the "Play next" action on JRemote not causing the correct track to play and show up has not been solved, though you indicated that versions as of .33 might have solved it. However, the situation is a bit different, it seems, from the past. What happens now is this:

- I select an album to play, it becomes the "currently playing" playlist, all is good.
  - I select a track of a different album using the JRemote option "Play next" and this track correctly appears as the next one in the playlist, however,
  - When the current track finishes, the next track to play is not the one that was just selected to "play next" but the track now playing is the originally next track, that is the 2nd one from the album, and—and this may be a new behaviour:
  - After that 2nd track from the original playlist has finished playing, the subsequent one to play (so now 3rd in order) happens to be the one that was supposed to have played earlier as the "play next" selected track. At the same time, the display in JRemote is incorrect, correctly showing tracks that were supposed to have been playing, but which are not playing.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2014, 02:36:56 pm »

Bob, I've just upgraded the MC server on the Mac to 20.0.38. I am also using it with the recently updated Id—many thanks for your help with the Id upgrade—and with JRemote 3.10 beta. I can report that the problem we have been discussing since post #160, that is of the "Play next" action on JRemote not causing the correct track to play and show up has not been solved, though you indicated that versions as of .33 might have solved it. However, the situation is a bit different, it seems, from the past. What happens now is this:

- I select an album to play, it becomes the "currently playing" playlist, all is good.
  - I select a track of a different album using the JRemote option "Play next" and this track correctly appears as the next one in the playlist, however,
  - When the current track finishes, the next track to play is not the one that was just selected to "play next" but the track now playing is the originally next track, that is the 2nd one from the album, and—and this may be a new behaviour:
  - After that 2nd track from the original playlist has finished playing, the subsequent one to play (so now 3rd in order) happens to be the one that was supposed to have played earlier as the "play next" selected track. At the same time, the display in JRemote is incorrect, correctly showing tracks that were supposed to have been playing, but which are not playing.

Ok, I'll try to duplicate that.
One thing to be aware of if you change the track in the last 10 seconds or so of the previous track playing, you are too late. There isn't enough granularity to handle that case.
The same thing applies of course if you have very short tracks (20 seconds or less).

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2014, 04:58:06 pm »

Bob, your points are duly noted. However, in this case, I used tracks that were about 3 min in duration or longer, and I have selected "play next" no later than about 20 s from the beginning of the track, so still with some 2 min or more remaining. Many thanks for looking into it, please let me know if I can help in any way.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2014, 05:17:51 pm »

Bob, your points are duly noted. However, in this case, I used tracks that were about 3 min in duration or longer, and I have selected "play next" no later than about 20 s from the beginning of the track, so still with some 2 min or more remaining. Many thanks for looking into it, please let me know if I can help in any way.
Found it. It will be re-fixed in the next build...

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #259 on: November 18, 2014, 05:21:35 pm »

That was very quick, many thanks. Would it be the next build of MC on the server (Mac in my case) or on the Id that I'd need? Or both, plus the next build of JRemote, too, that's needed?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »

We're working on packaging.  We have a logo now.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2014, 07:06:51 pm »

That was very quick, many thanks. Would it be the next build of MC on the server (Mac in my case) or on the Id that I'd need? Or both, plus the next build of JRemote, too, that's needed?
It's looking like both since there are issues with the renderer as well that weren't addresses by the change to the server. The problem with the renderer is that it's too smart. It thinks it can add to positions >1 but SetNext doesn't allow that.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2014, 07:37:27 pm »

Did it cutoff right at 5000?
I tried to duplicate this however there's only about 5200 in my library so of course it worked. Also since I don't have your specific NAS it could be a bit tricky.
You loaded it exactly the same way in the previous version?

Actually, it was exactly 3000 (I had another look).
Could you please expand your instructions on using the repair utility.
What is the purpose of the md.5 file?
Does it also need to be loaded onto the usb stick?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2014, 08:51:52 pm »

md5 is a checksum, a way of verifying the integrity of the file.  Its use is optional.  It isn't needed on the USB stick.

afalout

• Recent member
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2014, 10:52:24 pm »

Yes.  MC on the Id will play anything that MC on Windows plays.

I am guessing that you were responding to my question about "Multichannel and DSD are supported over HDMI."?

If so, I cannot find a way to play DSD over HDMI on Windows 7. Turning on "Bitstreaming - DSD" results in noise and very low level audible music, while receiver still shows "PCM". Setting the encoding to DSD is not an option, I suppose, as options are DoP (Which no HDMI based device supports) or VST driver (which does not exist for any HDMI driver I know of)

- can you please help with advise how to achieve this?

Thanks, Andrej

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: November 18, 2014, 11:09:09 pm »

Actually, it was exactly 3000 (I had another look).
Could you please expand your instructions on using the repair utility.
What is the purpose of the md.5 file?
Does it also need to be loaded onto the usb stick?
I don't think your issue will be fixed by the repair utility.
I'm working on updating the Id repair utility that will be a bit more descriptive of the functions.

In your case, since MC is running OK I'd think only the memtest and the restore original settings would be useful.
You can always do the restore original settings function from the Id menu (if you can get to it which I assume you can).
Note that this will delete your library.

I'm not seeing an obvious reason why the behavior should have changed when the build was updated from 20.0.27 to  20.0.33.
(I assume your updates were up to date and that you weren't updating from 19.0.xxx).
When MC connects to a remote library via DLNA it does a search for all media files.
Does your DLNA NAS contain only audio files?
What are the file types of the media on your NAS?
Thanks.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #266 on: November 19, 2014, 03:14:43 am »

I don't think your issue will be fixed by the repair utility.
I'm working on updating the Id repair utility that will be a bit more descriptive of the functions.

In your case, since MC is running OK I'd think only the memtest and the restore original settings would be useful.
You can always do the restore original settings function from the Id menu (if you can get to it which I assume you can).
Note that this will delete your library.

I'm not seeing an obvious reason why the behavior should have changed when the build was updated from 20.0.27 to  20.0.33.
(I assume your updates were up to date and that you weren't updating from 19.0.xxx).
When MC connects to a remote library via DLNA it does a search for all media files.
Does your DLNA NAS contain only audio files?
What are the file types of the media on your NAS?
Thanks.

The Id updated from 20.0.27 to 20.0.33.
I have tried the 77 option to reset to the original settings without library.
The Id displays the ReadyNAS, but when I click to load the library, nothing happens.
The usual "the files are loading in the background etc" message doesn't appear.
The NAS only has music files on it in 3 folders (music, blues and compilations).
Mainly flac, but also some wav, aiff and a few m4a (old jazz and blues).

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #267 on: November 19, 2014, 05:02:06 am »

Is there a guide or a post anywhere that explains how volume levelling and/or replay gain should be configured and used with Id? To be honest, I am a bit confused if this is a function of the renderer, server, or maybe the DAC in my AVR.

Just to summarise the scenario: music is FLAC: mostly 16/44.1 ripped from CDs with RG Track and Album calculated and tagged, but not applied to the file in the sense of modifying the audio itself, using dbPowerAmp, plus some 24/96 hi-res purchases, which might need to have RG calculated and tagged. All of these files are served by MC 20 from a headless Mac, controlled by JRemote, and rendered to the Id which is connected to my AVR (Anthem MRX 710) using HDMI.

I observe some excessive variability of playback levels and I was wondering if any volume levelling function was there in place by default, and how should I control it. Indeed, are there any "best practices" suggesting to, or not to do so at all? It'd be more of a nice-to-have feature for album play, but quite a necessity for track-based playlists, in my case.

bar747

« Reply #268 on: November 19, 2014, 04:35:20 pm »

I can use the Id playing music files from QNAP NAS (with minim server) to DAC without the laptop running.
In Menu #11 -show network information- it shows an IP address however when in F2 setup it shows ´´Network disconnected``.
Selecting any other menu except ´11` for network information message:3166 Hangup mediacenter20 > /dev/null 2>81 rpcbind
terminating on signal. Restart with ‘’rpcbind –w’’.
So no updates possible.
Updated BIOS to version 40 via USB.
What can I do?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2014, 09:33:15 pm »

The Id updated from 20.0.27 to 20.0.33.
I have tried the 77 option to reset to the original settings without library.
The Id displays the ReadyNAS, but when I click to load the library, nothing happens.
The usual "the files are loading in the background etc" message doesn't appear.
The NAS only has music files on it in 3 folders (music, blues and compilations).
Mainly flac, but also some wav, aiff and a few m4a (old jazz and blues).
I'll test with some aiff, I don't have any of those in my library.
Are the extensions on them aiff or aif? I've seen them both ways.
The loading in the background message isn't enabled on linux yet IIRC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: November 19, 2014, 09:35:50 pm »

Is there a guide or a post anywhere that explains how volume levelling and/or replay gain should be configured and used with Id? To be honest, I am a bit confused if this is a function of the renderer, server, or maybe the DAC in my AVR.

Just to summarise the scenario: music is FLAC: mostly 16/44.1 ripped from CDs with RG Track and Album calculated and tagged, but not applied to the file in the sense of modifying the audio itself, using dbPowerAmp, plus some 24/96 hi-res purchases, which might need to have RG calculated and tagged. All of these files are served by MC 20 from a headless Mac, controlled by JRemote, and rendered to the Id which is connected to my AVR (Anthem MRX 710) using HDMI.

I observe some excessive variability of playback levels and I was wondering if any volume levelling function was there in place by default, and how should I control it. Indeed, are there any "best practices" suggesting to, or not to do so at all? It'd be more of a nice-to-have feature for album play, but quite a necessity for track-based playlists, in my case.
Volume leveling is done on the server and requires "specified format" to be set in the DLNA servers audio options. This means you'll be sending the file to the renderer as either a PCM wave or headless file depending on your renderer. (unless you use mp3 which I assume you won't).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: November 19, 2014, 09:40:10 pm »

I can use the Id playing music files from QNAP NAS (with minim server) to DAC without the laptop running.
In Menu #11 -show network information- it shows an IP address however when in F2 setup it shows ´´Network disconnected``.
Selecting any other menu except ´11` for network information message:3166 Hangup mediacenter20 > /dev/null 2>81 rpcbind
terminating on signal. Restart with ‘’rpcbind –w’’.
So no updates possible.
Updated BIOS to version 40 via USB.
What can I do?

The bios should be using version 34. I've not tried 40 but none of the others would boot headlessly.
You won't see an address in F2 (the bios).
If you see one booted into the in with #11 you should be OK. (it should be an IPV4 address, likely something like 192.168.0.100)
Most of the functions other than 11 change the configuration of the ID and make it reboot.

What specific issue are you having?

bar747

« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2014, 05:57:07 am »

Thank's, will boot to BIOS Ver.34 once I am back.
Selecting any other menu except ''11'' for network information Id always hangs up with message:3166 Hangup mediacenter20 > /dev/null 2>81 rpcbind terminating on signal. Restart with ''rpcbind –w'', and I have to press and
hold on/off until it shuts down, than push on only to restart.
So no updates possible.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2014, 11:53:08 am »

Thank's, will boot to BIOS Ver.34 once I am back.
Selecting any other menu except ''11'' for network information Id always hangs up with message:3166 Hangup mediacenter20 > /dev/null 2>81 rpcbind terminating on signal. Restart with ''rpcbind –w'', and I have to press and
hold on/off until it shuts down, than push on only to restart.
So no updates possible.
It will actually do the update but just not reboot.
The hangup message is expected. We tell Media Center to quit before we make changes to the Id system.
This is not a generic issue, I can't reproduce it here but a few people have said they have this problem.
Are you using an external USB DAC?
You could use the repair utility to check the Id memory.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2014, 06:46:00 pm »

Where is the "Server Mode switch" located in MC 20 for the Id?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2014, 07:12:30 pm »

There isn't a server mode switch.  What are you trying to do?

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2014, 07:37:16 pm »

There isn't a server mode switch.  What are you trying to do?

I want to copy files to the Id SSD.

Both you and Bob referred to such a device in a previous Id discussion (not part of this thread).
You said:
“It looks like Samba isn't turned on unless the server mode is set on the Id.  Then you can use Windows networking to copy files to the Id.  I put them under Media, but they may need to be in a directory called Music under Media.  I had to import them manually”

Bob then said:"The server mode switch doesn't affect that"

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2014, 09:38:00 pm »

If you use Windows networking on a Windows machine, you should see the Id as a server.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #278 on: November 21, 2014, 12:36:01 am »

If you use Windows networking on a Windows machine, you should see the Id as a server.

I can see the Id as a server on my Windows PC--I just can't copy audio files to the Id.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: November 21, 2014, 07:13:35 am »

Not even to the Media directory?  Can you open it?

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2014, 07:25:27 am »

Volume leveling is done on the server and requires "specified format" to be set in the DLNA servers audio options. This means you'll be sending the file to the renderer as either a PCM wave or headless file depending on your renderer. (unless you use mp3 which I assume you won't).

Bob, I use Id as the renderer, connected via HDMI to my AVR. I am not sure if I should use PCM 24bit or PCM L24 No header options in DLNA Servers configuration, and I do not understand the difference. Could you point me somewhere to read up (could not find the explanation on JRiver wiki) or please suggest which one to use?

Does this mean that the server will be doing a fair amount of real-time audio processing in this case, that is if I wish to use Volume Levelling?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: November 21, 2014, 10:26:28 am »

I can see the Id as a server on my Windows PC--I just can't copy audio files to the Id.
You are probably seeing the DLNA server share. Windows is a bit confusing this way.
The Id will also show up as a network share under it's name Id-xxxxxx
If you don't see that for some reason (it's in the default workgroup) you should always be able to connect to it via the IP.
For example in windows explorer
\\192.168.1.100\media

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: November 21, 2014, 10:30:35 am »

Bob, I use Id as the renderer, connected via HDMI to my AVR. I am not sure if I should use PCM 24bit or PCM L24 No header options in DLNA Servers configuration, and I do not understand the difference. Could you point me somewhere to read up (could not find the explanation on JRiver wiki) or please suggest which one to use?

Does this mean that the server will be doing a fair amount of real-time audio processing in this case, that is if I wish to use Volume Leveling?
Rafal,
You could use either.
The only difference is that PCM 24 bit has a wave header and the PCM L24 doesn't. There are only a couple of devices that support PCM L24 (the Id being one of the two I'm familiar with).
There is no processing done when you use PCM, it's just being decoded. One side or the other has to do it eventually anyway. There is a small overhead for the volume leveling but it's minimal.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2014, 01:11:01 pm »

Rafal,
You could use either.
The only difference is that PCM 24 bit has a wave header and the PCM L24 doesn't. There are only a couple of devices that support PCM L24 (the Id being one of the two I'm familiar with).
There is no processing done when you use PCM, it's just being decoded. One side or the other has to do it eventually anyway. There is a small overhead for the volume leveling but it's minimal.

Thanks for your patient explanations, Bob. I have tried it with PCM 24, I will try it now with PCM L24 no header. I have observed that gapless playback is reasonably good (sometimes there was a micro-pause) but when tracks have gaps, then these gaps now became much longer than they used to be before I have enabled these options.

I am not sure what is the difference between turning on Volume Levelling under "Advanced" vs doing it in "DSP Studio" section of that dialog.

Finally, should I also use Adaptive Playback?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2014, 02:02:44 pm »

Thanks for your patient explanations, Bob. I have tried it with PCM 24, I will try it now with PCM L24 no header. I have observed that gapless playback is reasonably good (sometimes there was a micro-pause) but when tracks have gaps, then these gaps now became much longer than they used to be before I have enabled these options.

I am not sure what is the difference between turning on Volume Leveling under "Advanced" vs doing it in "DSP Studio" section of that dialog.

Finally, should I also use Adaptive Playback?
Interesting, I wouldn't have expected the gaps to change on gapped tracks.
You might want to check your Id MC audio settings.
I use Track change:
Gapless
unclick do not play silence
click gapless for sequential tracks

The DSP studio interface in DLNA is very new and will be getting changes.
I'd just use the volume leveling checkbox and not mess with the DSP studio settings but I don't think there would be any harm in experimenting with the adaptive playback.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #285 on: November 21, 2014, 02:05:02 pm »

I've just updated the Id repair utility to enable a license to be re-entered in case the Id's filesystem gets seriously corrupted.
Also fixed a couple of small bugs.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #286 on: November 21, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »

Here is an Id repair utility image link:
http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepair.iso
and its md5sum
http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepair.iso.md5
Hi, Bob. I am running into the same corrupted update issue that others have, but I cannot access the repair ISO. I am getting an "HTTP 403 Forbidden" error, saying that I need a username/password to access the site. Is there any way you could post or PM the info?

By the way, BIOS 41 looks like it may be booting into headless text mode, but I cannot tell for sure, since the MC on my Id is stuffed. I do know I can at least boot to the text menu, and the \\Id\media file share is visible on the network.  For now, though, I have downgraded to BIOS 34 so I can be sure to get this up and running.

Thanks! :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2014, 05:49:07 pm »

Hi, Bob. I am running into the same corrupted update issue that others have, but I cannot access the repair ISO. I am getting an "HTTP 403 Forbidden" error, saying that I need a username/password to access the site. Is there any way you could post or PM the info?

By the way, BIOS 41 looks like it may be booting into headless text mode, but I cannot tell for sure, since the MC on my Id is stuffed. I do know I can at least boot to the text menu, and the \\Id\media file share is visible on the network.  For now, though, I have downgraded to BIOS 34 so I can be sure to get this up and running.

Thanks! :)
Sorry, I uploaded a new version and forgot to change the permissions.
It's good now.

Some things to check, your BIOS settings might be causing the reboot trouble.
Here is what they are set to when we ship them (differences from the default)

Code: [Select]
1) Setting time and date properly on the main tab
2) Under the power tab:
 a: after power failure -> Stay off
 b: wake on lan from s4:s5 ->Stay off
 c: pcie aspm support ->disable
3) Under the cooling tab for both memory temp and mb ambient temp
should be set to:
In order from top to bottom. (as per a debug on Intels NUC forum)

I added a license restore on this version, don't use it if you don't need it.
Your license should be good.
We won't be able to retrieve your code until Monday if you try the license restore.

Let me know if this fixes your update blues.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:28 pm »

Hi, Bob. That was fast!

I am downloading the ISO file right now, but it might be a while before I can actually get a chance to try it out. I'll let you know for sure once I actually do.

I checked the BIOS settings. Everything is just as you said. (Time is set to UTC, not Central Time. I don't know if that makes a difference.) At least I know that I have the right settings.

Thanks again. I'll let you know!

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:10 pm »

Great, it worked!!! I used Rufus to write the ISO to a USB stick, booted to the USB, and chose the #4 "restore the Id firmware" repair option. Now I am back in business. :D

Oh, and might I add, that is a very soothing background screen for the repair utility. Thanks for all your help, bob!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2014, 10:00:59 pm »

Great, it worked!!! I used Rufus to write the ISO to a USB stick, booted to the USB, and chose the #4 "restore the Id firmware" repair option. Now I am back in business. :D

Oh, and might I add, that is a very soothing background screen for the repair utility. Thanks for all your help, bob!
Good to hear, thanks for the report!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: November 22, 2014, 06:48:50 am »

Bob deserves a big thank you and congratulations for getting the Id on a Stick so far along.  It has a _lot_ of moving parts.  Very well done.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #292 on: November 22, 2014, 08:30:55 am »

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected the gaps to change on gapped tracks.
You might want to check your Id MC audio settings.
I use Track change:
Gapless
unclick do not play silence
click gapless for sequential tracks

The DSP studio interface in DLNA is very new and will be getting changes.
I'd just use the volume leveling checkbox and not mess with the DSP studio settings but I don't think there would be any harm in experimenting with the adaptive playback.

Bob, I have spent some time with this, and I've hit a few bumps. First of all, the PCM L24 No header option does not seem to play back on the Id: tracks simply skip to the next one, one by one. It does work, however, with the PCM 24 option.

The issue with gaps is more complex. It looks like gapped ends up having variable gaps (from 2-12 s) but gapless, unfortunately, also becomes gapped sometimes. I have a couple of albums I listened to, on one one gapless change always takes about a 1.5s now, while another one takes from a 1/4s to about 7s. I wonder if there is some kind of an extra load on the server that makes the file unavailable on time for Id, perhaps? I am thinking so, because the gaps are longer before a longer (and so more complex?) track than before a shorter track. Also, replaying the transition a few times makes it gapless—at least for the next play. Can you think of any options on the server (Mac MC .39) or on Id, which I could try turning on to increase the level of buffering/caching/prefetching whichever might be available?

Finally, I could not quite find where was the option you have referred to, that is "Gapless, unclick do not play silence, click gapless for sequential tracks" in the DLNA server configuration. Or am I perhaps supposed to boot Id into GUI and configure it on the Id? Sorry for being clueless about the UI, but MC has a pretty complex UI in terms of option hunting. Many thanks, and regards from Ireland.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: November 22, 2014, 10:59:17 am »

Bob, I have spent some time with this, and I've hit a few bumps. First of all, the PCM L24 No header option does not seem to play back on the Id: tracks simply skip to the next one, one by one. It does work, however, with the PCM 24 option.

The issue with gaps is more complex. It looks like gapped ends up having variable gaps (from 2-12 s) but gapless, unfortunately, also becomes gapped sometimes. I have a couple of albums I listened to, on one one gapless change always takes about a 1.5s now, while another one takes from a 1/4s to about 7s. I wonder if there is some kind of an extra load on the server that makes the file unavailable on time for Id, perhaps? I am thinking so, because the gaps are longer before a longer (and so more complex?) track than before a shorter track. Also, replaying the transition a few times makes it gapless—at least for the next play. Can you think of any options on the server (Mac MC .39) or on Id, which I could try turning on to increase the level of buffering/caching/prefetching whichever might be available?

Finally, I could not quite find where was the option you have referred to, that is "Gapless, unclick do not play silence, click gapless for sequential tracks" in the DLNA server configuration. Or am I perhaps supposed to boot Id into GUI and configure it on the Id? Sorry for being clueless about the UI, but MC has a pretty complex UI in terms of option hunting. Many thanks, and regards from Ireland.

I'll check into the PCML24 issue, it sounds like a bug.
I should have been more explicit with the audio settings description. They are on the Id accessed from GUI mode.
Your files are being decoded into wave for playback on the server side, in general what are the characteristics of the tracks are you playing to the Id? (format, sample rate, bitdepth)

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #294 on: November 22, 2014, 11:05:56 am »

I'll check into the PCML24 issue, it sounds like a bug.
I should have been more explicit with the audio settings description. They are on the Id accessed from GUI mode.
Your files are being decoded into wave for playback on the server side, in general what are the characteristics of the tracks are you playing to the Id? (format, sample rate, bitdepth)

I'll check the settings in the GUI mode, thanks for letting me know.

The tracks are audio-only FLAC, 16/44.1. The longer ones (8-12 min) seem to cause the gaps in gapless when using volume levelling. Without volume levelling I only rarely experienced a "stutter" in gapless transition.

By the way, I am installing .40 to test the most recent fixes regarding the playlist sync vs. play-next operation. One thing that is making it harder to test at the moment, however, is that I can no longer clear the playlist from JRemote, because of a new "Are you sure" style dialog box that pops up on the headless server, which cannot be dismissed remotely. But I will figure out a way of doing it by having a separate laptop connecting via screen sharing to the server to keep dismissing these pop ups. I'll post results soon.   

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #295 on: November 22, 2014, 12:57:55 pm »

BTW, a quick test showed that the playlist-vs-play-next problem is still there, however, I have only updated the server MC to .40 as I don't believe there is a newer version of it for the Id. I assume that I would need that newer Id version to make this issue go away completely.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: November 22, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »

BTW, a quick test showed that the playlist-vs-play-next problem is still there, however, I have only updated the server MC to .40 as I don't believe there is a newer version of it for the Id. I assume that I would need that newer Id version to make this issue go away completely.
Yes, you need both and I haven't updated the Id yet because I want to make sure 42 is solid.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: November 22, 2014, 01:24:09 pm »

One thing that is making it harder to test at the moment, however, is that I can no longer clear the playlist from JRemote, because of a new "Are you sure" style dialog box that pops up on the headless server, which cannot be dismissed remotely. But I will figure out a way of doing it by having a separate laptop connecting via screen sharing to the server to keep dismissing these pop ups. I'll post results soon.  
That's a bug. Nothing remote is supposed to cause a popup on the server.
It just started?

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #298 on: November 22, 2014, 01:59:11 pm »

That's bug. Nothing remote is supposed to cause a popup on the server.
It just started?

It started when I upgraded MC server to .39. I've reported it on the Mac MC thread, but you are the first from JR. to have acknowledged it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #299 on: November 22, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »

What's the exact text of the prompt?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 26   Go Up