INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 367714 times)

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #300 on: November 22, 2014, 02:03:11 pm »

What's the exact text of the prompt?

The server pops up a message asking "Would you like to clear Playing Now? This will stop playback.".

Thanks for looking into it, very much.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #301 on: November 22, 2014, 02:05:12 pm »

The server pops up a message asking "Would you like to clear Playing Now? This will stop playback.".

Thanks for looking into it, very much.

Well we added a confirmation to clearing Playing Now, but obviously we need to suppress the prompt in this case.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #302 on: November 22, 2014, 02:18:41 pm »

Well we added a confirmation to clearing Playing Now, but obviously we need to suppress the prompt in this case.

Many thanks, this would be useful, because it stopped a couple of the JRemote functions from working... Also, when I connect to the server, I have a few dozen of those messages to dismiss before I can do anything else on it.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #303 on: November 22, 2014, 05:38:24 pm »

You are probably seeing the DLNA server share.

Yeah--that's what it was. Thanks.

kadiddle

« Reply #304 on: November 23, 2014, 09:05:27 am »

Hi, I'm considering purchasing an Id but have Two questions:
1. With media stored on the Id, can it serve (push) to another DLNA capable device such as the Oppo BDP-105 over the network connection while being controlled by a handheld device (iphone or android)? I want to do this with NO computer on the network running MC. I can easily serve music to the Oppo over network now using MC19 on a Windows PC.
The Oppo has an asynchronous USB input but it requires a USB driver on windows devices. I read in an earlier thread that the Id only works with devices that don't require a USB driver. The Oppo manual says that no USB driver is required on mac and none are "available" for Linux, but it doesn't say whether or not one is needed for Linux. If the ID will work with the Oppo USB input, then I won't need the ability to push music over the network. The Oppo can also "pull" music off of network devices but the interface is too crude for regular use in this manner. Does anyone have any experience using the Id with an Oppo player?
I guess as a last resort I could install a HDMI splitter and use that output from the Id. Would this work?

2. Bob mentioned that the Id will be able to access music files stored on an attached USB drive in the future. Will this work only on Ids sold after this development or will older Ids be made capable with a software update?

thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #305 on: November 23, 2014, 10:23:50 am »

The Id could serve files to an Oppo and you could control it with JRemote or Gizmo (iOS and Android, respectively.)  The Id doesn't have a large disk though.  Enough space for about 300 CD's.

To do what you propose would require that the Oppo works well as a Renderer.  Not all devices do.

I don't know how we will handle USB drives yet.

Schooner

• Recent member
« Reply #306 on: November 23, 2014, 02:20:05 pm »

I must say that the Id looks awesome, but I am not sure I fully understand it's purpose.  It appears it is not an HTPC substitute.  Rather, it looks like it can connect to a PC or NAS and then stream to a receiver or DAC via DLNA.  As a DLNA server, I'm guessing it will not solve the problem of not being able to have gapless playback via DLNA.  It seems like the main advantages are

If I have my music on a NAS, it looks like I can play music using JRemote and Id without turning on a computer running MC.  However, I'm guessing I need to purchase the special Linux version of MC to do this, right?

If I am already running music to my networked receiver using a DLNA connection, I don't see what this does for me.

Am I missing something?  Not trying to be difficult -- just want to understand the benefits of this cool looking device.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: November 23, 2014, 02:25:05 pm »

If I have my music on a NAS, it looks like I can play music using JRemote and Id without turning on a computer running MC.  However, I'm guessing I need to purchase the special Linux version of MC to do this, right?
That's what it can do.  It includes the Linux version of MC.  It's completely configured and ready to use.

bar747

« Reply #308 on: November 24, 2014, 02:29:48 pm »

It will actually do the update but just not reboot.
The hangup message is expected. We tell Media Center to quit before we make changes to the Id system.
This is not a generic issue, I can't reproduce it here but a few people have said they have this problem.
Are you using an external USB DAC?
You could use the repair utility to check the Id memory.

I changed to BIOS 34 with no change. However as long as an USB stick is attached the Id is able to update
and reboot without hang up. As I use a PS Audio PWD DAC how can I play music files via HDMI out from the Id
to the PS Audio DAC (it has HDMI Audio in)?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: November 24, 2014, 03:19:21 pm »

If you select the HDMI output, it should just work.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #310 on: November 24, 2014, 03:33:45 pm »

As I use a PS Audio PWD DAC how can I play music files via HDMI out from the Id
to the PS Audio DAC (it has HDMI Audio in)?

I own and use a PS Audio DAC (PWD MK II) that has the HDMI sockets intended for I2S input only and not HDMI input. Your DAC owners manual should confirm whether this is also the case for you.

bar747

« Reply #311 on: November 25, 2014, 07:14:00 am »

I own and use a PS Audio DAC (PWD MK II) that has the HDMI sockets intended for I2S input only and not HDMI input. Your DAC owners manual should confirm whether this is also the case for you.

Thank's, I2S is not working but USB does.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #312 on: November 25, 2014, 02:00:20 pm »

Thank's, I2S is not working but USB does.

That's because the Id doesn't do I2S.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2014, 02:58:37 pm »

I did some testing with Intel BIOS versions 34 and 41:

With BIOS 34, all three startup options (GUI, headless text, and text with HDMI) work fine all the time.

With BIOS 41, all three startup options work fine as long as there is an HDMI cable connected to a monitor. If the HDMI cable is disconnected, the Id will hang while booting. However, I have found that if I leave the HDMI cable connected long enough to see the GRUB boot loader and then disconnect the HDMI cable while it is counting down, all three modes work. So it seems to be a case of the Id hanging at the GRUB bootloader if no HDMI monitor is attached.

Back to BIOS 34 for now, but I hope this helps troubleshoot the BIOS issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: November 25, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »

I did some testing with Intel BIOS versions 34 and 41:

With BIOS 34, all three startup options (GUI, headless text, and text with HDMI) work fine all the time.

With BIOS 41, all three startup options work fine as long as there is an HDMI cable connected to a monitor. If the HDMI cable is disconnected, the Id will hang while booting. However, I have found that if I leave the HDMI cable connected long enough to see the GRUB boot loader and then disconnect the HDMI cable while it is counting down, all three modes work. So it seems to be a case of the Id hanging at the GRUB bootloader if no HDMI monitor is attached.

Back to BIOS 34 for now, but I hope this helps troubleshoot the BIOS issue.
Thanks for the report.
As far as I've seen, only 34 will boot without a cable or hdmi dummy plug.
I've been experimenting with a newer version of grub (not done yet). An update to that is a bit tricky however.
I'd like to avoid situations where one would have to use the rescue usb stick.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #315 on: November 25, 2014, 04:24:57 pm »

I'd like to avoid situations where one would have to use the rescue usb stick.
Agreed.  ;)

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #316 on: November 25, 2014, 08:02:28 pm »

Did it cutoff right at 5000?
I tried to duplicate this however there's only about 5200 in my library so of course it worked. Also since I don't have your specific NAS it could be a bit tricky.
You loaded it exactly the same way in the previous version?

I've run the repair utility. It didn't make any difference, apart than the Id would only load 1000 files from my NAS.
I've checked the memory and tried other scenarios without any success.
The Id will run with importing the library from my Windows PC.
But it takes over 20 minutes to recognize the NAS. It will now not import any files from the NAS.
The Id "loses" the NAS from its library after a short while.
The Windows 8.1 PC recognizes the NAS immediately.
I suspect that the Realtek network adapter in the Id is faulty.
My router (Netgear) displays the Id and I can push to the Id from my windows PC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: November 26, 2014, 01:19:36 pm »

I've run the repair utility. It didn't make any difference, apart than the Id would only load 1000 files from my NAS.
I've checked the memory and tried other scenarios without any success.
The Id will run with importing the library from my Windows PC.
But it takes over 20 minutes to recognize the NAS. It will now not import any files from the NAS.
The Id "loses" the NAS from its library after a short while.
The Windows 8.1 PC recognizes the NAS immediately.
I suspect that the Realtek network adapter in the Id is faulty.
My router (Netgear) displays the Id and I can push to the Id from my windows PC.
The difference with windows recognizing the NAS is that it doesn't try to load it all, it just browses it.
Is it possible that your network cable to the Id or NAS is bad?
I assume you've powercycled both the NAS and router?
Perhaps there is a problem with the switch in the router. It's tough to figure out connectivity issues without
swapping out components.

afalout

• Recent member
« Reply #318 on: November 27, 2014, 01:42:01 am »

Quote from: JimH on September 14, 2014, 08:46:20 pm :
Yes.  MC on the Id will play anything that MC on Windows plays.

I am guessing that you were responding to my question about "Multichannel and DSD are supported over HDMI."? (which is an advertised feature of Id, as per http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id)

If so, I cannot find a way to play DSD over HDMI on Windows 7. Turning on "Bitstreaming - DSD" results in noise and very low level audible music, while receiver still shows "PCM". Setting the encoding to DSD is not an option, I suppose, as options are DoP (Which no HDMI based device supports) or VST driver (which does not exist for any HDMI driver I know of)

- can you please help with advice on how to achieve this?

Thanks, Andrej

Any response very much appreciated. I would contact support, but I cannot find ANY contact information for JRiver support ANYWHERE. (?)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: November 27, 2014, 07:00:58 am »

On the server side, you would want "unchanged".  You want to give the Id the original file.

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #320 on: November 28, 2014, 10:33:13 am »

Good morning,

I am currently using a Win7 PC/MC to send my audio singal via USB 2.0 to a McIntosh D100 preamplifier/DAC. The preamplifier requires a Windows driver to operate, but also has coaxial and optical digital inputs. Am I correct in understanding that I would be unable to use the USB connection from the Id with my D100? As always, I appreciate your input.

Best regards,
Tim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2014, 06:31:18 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer.  It might work without a driver.  You could try it without a driver on another machine, just to see if it works. 

You might ask on a forum where other McIntosh users post.  Try searching for "D100 forum" or similar.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #322 on: November 29, 2014, 03:58:12 am »

The difference with windows recognizing the NAS is that it doesn't try to load it all, it just browses it.
Is it possible that your network cable to the Id or NAS is bad?
I assume you've powercycled both the NAS and router?
Perhaps there is a problem with the switch in the router. It's tough to figure out connectivity issues without
swapping out components.
"Tough" is an understatement! I eventually solved the problem. It was software, but not in the Id.
A firmware update for the NAS arrived about the same time as the Id update.
The firmware update on the Netgear ReadyNas 312 had set the settings back to "standard".
This had the effect of turning off DLNA sharing. As the NAS is set up in windows as a network drive, the Windows MC20 would recognize it.
But not the Id, which runs Linux.
It was a major PITA to sort out. I had swapped about just about every cable and component in my system (including the NAS) trying to sort it out.
One click of the mouse to re-enable DLNA sharing on the NAS and all was good.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: November 29, 2014, 01:01:39 pm »

"Tough" is an understatement! I eventually solved the problem. It was software, but not in the Id.
A firmware update for the NAS arrived about the same time as the Id update.
The firmware update on the Netgear ReadyNas 312 had set the settings back to "standard".
This had the effect of turning off DLNA sharing. As the NAS is set up in windows as a network drive, the Windows MC20 would recognize it.
But not the Id, which runs Linux.
It was a major PITA to sort out. I had swapped about just about every cable and component in my system (including the NAS) trying to sort it out.
One click of the mouse to re-enable DLNA sharing on the NAS and all was good.
That's a heck of a good example of problem solving, there are a lot of variables in most of our setups these days and tracking down the weak link can be a pain.
I recently had one at home where I had one device which could pull good speed on my wireless network and nothing else could. I eventually tracked it
down after several months of part time tinkering to a bad ethernet switch! I think the timing was such that the one device that worked was just slow enough to
not trigger the problem where the faster devices did. Of course I suspected everything but the dumb switch, routers, cable lengths, etc.

afalout

• Recent member
« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2014, 01:13:48 am »

On the server side, you would want "unchanged".  You want to give the Id the original file.

Hi Jim, just wondering to which post/question where you responding? Because I suspect it may be to mine, just like your response the last time, that made no reference to the question, or issue...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2014, 07:33:15 am »

If it follows your question, it's in reply to it.

mjbuchanan

• Recent member
« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2014, 07:15:13 pm »

Hi Folks,

Considering the Id as a renderer connected via USB to an Ayre QB-9.  However, the experiences with various USB DACs seem a little hit or miss.  On paper I believe the Ayre should work with the Id in USB 2.0 "High Speed" mode.  Anyone out there try this combo?  

TIA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2014, 08:02:34 pm »

Most USB DAC's will work.  Ayre would be very likely.  It mainly depends on whether a USB driver is required.

mjbuchanan

• Recent member
« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2014, 08:21:56 pm »

Most USB DAC's will work.  Ayre would be very likely.  It mainly depends on whether a USB driver is required.

Thanks Jim.  Ayre states that a driver is required for Windows since Win doesn't support USB 2.0 High Speed.  I think your version of Linux does, so hoping it works in High Speed-Asynch mode out of the box with the ID.  But thought I'd check with the community to see if there were any experiences before taking a flyer and doing my own R&D. 

Seems to me the ID is really meant to be used in this type of configuration, or it would certainly be a popular one.  Given that have you guys considered sending ID's to say the top 10 USB DAC mfg's (do a reader's poll to get an initial list) and have them do a little validation for you? Kind of an ID USB plugfest.  I'm sure most of the manufacturers would be up for this given the popularity of JRiver in the audiophile community. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: December 01, 2014, 11:50:52 am »

Update to 20.0.43 posted. Run the Id update function to get it.
This will fix issues with dynamically changing the playlist during playback especially noticed when using a remote (like Gizmo or JRemote).
Note that you'll also have to update your Windows or Mac MC if that what you are connecting to with Gizmo/JRemote.
Windows MC needs to be >= 20.0.42
Mac MC needs to be >= 20.0.40

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2014, 04:16:51 pm »

Thank you for the reply Jim. I'll see what I can find out about my Mac DAC and its need for an ASIO USB driver.

Best regards,
Tim

mrhyfy

• Recent member
« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2014, 07:12:18 am »

Please help if you can..
I have been running my ID for several months as a renderer with no issues.
When I selected (12) to check for updates on my ID today I ended up with a message indicating that
"grep:/home/media/.jriver/media center 20/settings/user settings.ini: No such file or directory "

any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2014, 10:49:22 am »

Please help if you can..
I have been running my ID for several months as a renderer with no issues.
When I selected (12) to check for updates on my ID today I ended up with a message indicating that
"grep:/home/media/.jriver/media center 20/settings/user settings.ini: No such file or directory "

any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Were there any issues with the update? Had you performed an update previously?

It looks like the settings for Media Center have been lost.
You can use function 77 to restore the Id stock settings.
If you've made any changes from the stock settings you'll need to re-enter them.

mrhyfy

• Recent member
« Reply #333 on: December 04, 2014, 06:25:32 pm »

Thanks for the prompt response.
This is my first time attempting to update.
"77" did not work.
I tried selecting some of the restore functions after  the boot up sequence but to no avail.
Can I reload the JRiver program into my NUC?
Thanks,
John

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #334 on: December 04, 2014, 06:53:38 pm »

Thanks for the prompt response.
This is my first time attempting to update.
"77" did not work.
I tried selecting some of the restore functions after  the boot up sequence but to no avail.
Can I reload the JRiver program into my NUC?
Thanks,
John
Yes, there is a recovery image here that you can put on a USB stick and run to get the Id back to stock. It will fit on a 1 gig or larger usb stick.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91344.msg644525#msg644525
You might want to read that message and the couple of references to it.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91344.msg645187#msg645187
You should run the update function after restoring and rebooting the Id.
Note that the update can take a while. Just let it sit if it looks like it's doing nothing.

I'm concerned that the 77 function didn't work. The Id might have lost the license in that case (if so you'll need to reinstall it after running the restore).
We'll need to look that up. PM me with the serial number from the bottom of your Id..

mrhyfy

• Recent member
« Reply #335 on: December 04, 2014, 09:21:38 pm »

All fixed!  ;D
Thanks SO much.
Now it wants me to buy MC20!!    I was happy with MC19 :o

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: December 04, 2014, 09:29:13 pm »

The Id comes with an MC20 license for Linux.

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #337 on: December 04, 2014, 10:08:01 pm »

That's a heck of a good example of problem solving, there are a lot of variables in most of our setups these days and tracking down the weak link can be a pain.
I recently had one at home where I had one device which could pull good speed on my wireless network and nothing else could. I eventually tracked it
down after several months of part time tinkering to a bad ethernet switch! I think the timing was such that the one device that worked was just slow enough to
not trigger the problem where the faster devices did. Of course I suspected everything but the dumb switch, routers, cable lengths, etc.

Whilst I'm still in a debugging mindset, is there a setting that I have missed that will allow (or is preventing) aiff and ape files to be imported from my NAS to either the Id or my Windows 8.1 PC libraries?

mrhyfy

• Recent member
« Reply #338 on: December 05, 2014, 06:54:42 am »

The Id comes with an MC20 license for Linux.

I stand corrected!
I assumed that the ID had upgraded to MC 20 because there was a message on the screen (approximately)
"30 day left on MC20 trial
PURCHASE - CANCEL-CONTINUE"

thanks again,,,

ps,,,will the ID now support attached usb drives?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: December 05, 2014, 10:23:47 am »

I stand corrected!
I assumed that the ID had upgraded to MC 20 because there was a message on the screen (approximately)
"30 day left on MC20 trial
PURCHASE - CANCEL-CONTINUE"

thanks again,,,

ps,,,will the ID now support attached usb drives?

Send me a PM (Personal Message) with your serial number from the bottom of your ID and I'll send you the registration code.
You just need to run the repair stick again and choose ONLY the restore license function and type in the code I send you.

The repair disk is a little ahead of the update process and includes an automount of external usb disks. They will be mounted read-write though.
The next ID update will have an option to allow them to be mounted read-only or read-write.

mrhyfy

• Recent member
« Reply #340 on: December 05, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »

Pm sent,,thanks!

afalout

• Recent member
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2014, 12:09:26 am »

If it follows your question, it's in reply to it.

OK so you say "MC on the Id will play anything that MC on Windows plays". MC on Windows does not "play" DSD (in it's native form) over HDMI. Correct?

So this statement still at your web site (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id) is incorrect/misleading:

"Multichannel and DSD are supported over HDMI."

and should read:

"Multichannel PCM is supported over HDMI. DSD can be played over HDMI only by converting it to PCM first.
DSD is supported in native format over USB, and for DoP capable devices only."

Correct/not correct?

Thanks,
Andrej

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2014, 03:09:39 pm »

Update to 20.0.43 posted. Run the Id update function to get it.
This will fix issues with dynamically changing the playlist during playback especially noticed when using a remote (like Gizmo or JRemote).

Bob, thank you very much for fixing this issue. Please pass my gratitude to your colleagues who have worked on this with you. I can confirm that, indeed, the issue is gone. I have not tried every possible combination of setting play-next, but the few I tested worked as expected. It is wonderful to see how your team is able of fixing issues that concern your customers, a sign of a caring company.

On another note, I think I know what is causing my update issues. Update worked, but the problem seems to be the reboots afterward when connected using HDMI to my AVR and PJ. It boots, messages appear, then a blank screen and it locks up (keyboard dead). Rebooting it with a different monitor (a Dell), or without one, makes it start up correctly, then I can connect it to my AVR/PJ. Perhaps it is a HDMI handshake or something similar, but it consistently errs.

May I ask what is the difference between the two non-GUI modes? Maybe I am using the wrong one?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: December 08, 2014, 09:51:29 am »

Bob, thank you very much for fixing this issue. Please pass my gratitude to your colleagues who have worked on this with you. I can confirm that, indeed, the issue is gone. I have not tried every possible combination of setting play-next, but the few I tested worked as expected. It is wonderful to see how your team is able of fixing issues that concern your customers, a sign of a caring company.

On another note, I think I know what is causing my update issues. Update worked, but the problem seems to be the reboots afterward when connected using HDMI to my AVR and PJ. It boots, messages appear, then a blank screen and it locks up (keyboard dead). Rebooting it with a different monitor (a Dell), or without one, makes it start up correctly, then I can connect it to my AVR/PJ. Perhaps it is a HDMI handshake or something similar, but it consistently errs.

May I ask what is the difference between the two non-GUI modes? Maybe I am using the wrong one?
Hi Rafal,
Glad to hear the playlists work for you now.

The HDMI initialization is partially the job of the bios and partially the kernel during the boot process.
The bios part is something we can't do a lot with. The reason why we've been using bios 34 by default is that it seems to be the only one that will let use boot headless, it's compatible with the linux boot kernel startup code which skips the HDMI initialization.

That is the difference between the two non-gui modes.
One initializes HDMI (required for some amps) and the other doesn't (required for running with no monitor attached).

If one needs HDMI initialization for their amp but wants to run headless they will probably need to get one of those dummy hdmi monitor plugs.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2014, 03:35:32 pm »

Many thanks, Bob. BIOS boot works fine always, even the GRUB part works. It is the third part of the boot/startup sequence which hangs if booted while connected up. Anyway, I will try the mode without HDMI init to see what happens.

May I trouble you with another issue, that of gapless no longer being so with Volume Levelling on? I experience gaps between a fraction of a second to as long as 10 seconds, between gapless tracks, since I have turned Volume Levelling on on the MC server (Mac) while playing through Id. I think it is related to how long or complex the next track is, since the gap is longer when playing 5.1 track than when I play its otherwise identical 2 channel version. Also, longer tracks mean longer gaps. I run Activity Monitor on the server to see what's happening, and I can see that about 2 seconds before the tracks change MC gets busy, spinning the processor usage up, and the duration of the unwanted delay matches perfectly the moment when MC is done with its high CPU task. Longer multichannel tracks mean MC is using 100% CPU while simpler tracks peak at 60% on my 2009 Mac mini. Memory is no concern. MC seems to be using about 30 threads.

Is there a setting where I could force MC to perform the volume levelling operation earlier than the 2 s prior to when the file is needed? This would be a simple way of diagnosing and troubleshooting this issue at the same time. Ideally, the next track would be readied some 15-20 sec earlier. I realise this may mess up last-minute track changes, but the majority of the time it would enable gapless to work with Volume Levelling on less powerful (but still very capable) hardware.

If I am wrong, please set me right. Many thanks, as always.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #345 on: December 08, 2014, 03:44:13 pm »

Many thanks, Bob. BIOS boot works fine always, even the GRUB part works. It is the third part of the boot/startup sequence which hangs if booted while connected up. Anyway, I will try the mode without HDMI init to see what happens.

May I trouble you with another issue, that of gapless no longer being so with Volume Levelling on? I experience gaps between a fraction of a second to as long as 10 seconds, between gapless tracks, since I have turned Volume Levelling on on the MC server (Mac) while playing through Id. I think it is related to how long or complex the next track is, since the gap is longer when playing 5.1 track than when I play its otherwise identical 2 channel version. Also, longer tracks mean longer gaps. I run Activity Monitor on the server to see what's happening, and I can see that about 2 seconds before the tracks change MC gets busy, spinning the processor usage up, and the duration of the unwanted delay matches perfectly the moment when MC is done with its high CPU task. Longer multichannel tracks mean MC is using 100% CPU while simpler tracks peak at 60% on my 2009 Mac mini. Memory is no concern. MC seems to be using about 30 threads.

Is there a setting where I could force MC to perform the volume levelling operation earlier than the 2 s prior to when the file is needed? This would be a simple way of diagnosing and troubleshooting this issue at the same time. Ideally, the next track would be readied some 15-20 sec earlier. I realise this may mess up last-minute track changes, but the majority of the time it would enable gapless to work with Volume Levelling on less powerful (but still very capable) hardware.

If I am wrong, please set me right. Many thanks, as always.

I think it's because the next file isn't being requested early enough as you say.
Another possibility is that we're waiting until the conversion is done to allow the file to be served but that shouldn't be the case.
There isn't anything you can do about it with settings, we'll have to look at that.

One other thing I was thinking about, I think you could do without conversion if your file tags had the volume leveling value in it. Then the renderer (Id) should handle it.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #346 on: December 08, 2014, 03:55:25 pm »

I think it's because the next file isn't being requested early enough as you say.
Another possibility is that we're waiting until the conversion is done to allow the file to be served but that shouldn't be the case.
There isn't anything you can do about it with settings, we'll have to look at that.

One other thing I was thinking about, I think you could do without conversion if your file tags had the volume leveling value in it. Then the renderer (Id) should handle it.

Many thanks, Bob, for looking into it. Please let me know if I can help diagnose it further. As for your suggestion, how would I make Id do this? At the moment VL is configured on the server in the DLNA Servers section. All files have been tagged as I do "analyse audio" when importing (and I have processed it for all remaining ones). I was under the impression that even with the tags in place it was somehow the server (Mac) which had to perform the volume levelling, but I'd like to hear how to shift this function onto the Id. Would I have to move my libraries etc?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: December 08, 2014, 04:22:35 pm »

Many thanks, Bob, for looking into it. Please let me know if I can help diagnose it further. As for your suggestion, how would I make Id do this? At the moment VL is configured on the server in the DLNA Servers section. All files have been tagged as I do "analyse audio" when importing (and I have processed it for all remaining ones). I was under the impression that even with the tags in place it was somehow the server (Mac) which had to perform the volume levelling, but I'd like to hear how to shift this function onto the Id. Would I have to move my libraries etc?
I was thinking that MC might read it from the file tags when the file is pushed to it but it's possible that isn't the case.
I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do anyway. Will need to check into it a bit.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2014, 04:48:17 pm »

That sounds ideal, Bob. Please let me know if you have heard any consensus how things are likely to move forward on this and if I can test anything for you ahead. You have been very responsive, thanks for making Id (and MC and JRemote) such a good music system.

TrevorW

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2014, 05:20:49 pm »

Hi Folks
So sorry for not posting back here after my earlier foray with an ID, Synology NAS DS411 with DSM5.1/MediaServer as a DLNA server. I had problems with my Benchmark USB DAC1 which have been resolved now.

My setup functions pretty much OK but I'm investigating how to setup the ID so that it updates its library automatically when ever I rip CD's to the NAS using dbpoweramp. It seems a bit hit and miss I ripped a couple of CD's a few days ago but only one of them is visible in the list as viewed by JRemote on an iphone 5s. I know I can boot the ID into the gui mode and import the library again but surely I don't have to do this all the time (I'm running the ID in headless mode as there is no real need for the GUI when used a renderer otherwise) Can anyone give me some pointers to setup MC on the ID to auto sync the library ? (Yes the ripped files with folder construct are on teh NAS !!!)

Also have there been any significant improvements to the ID GUI since early October 2014. It was very unstable so I'm loathed to boot into it in case I mess something up.  Whats the current ID MC version number please.

Oh yes . . . one further question (sorry) if I manage the flac files on the NAS from a PC using dbpoweramp and something like MP3TAG is there a limit to the size the cover images can be??? I saw something about this recently. Because my earlier MC collection had a mixture of embedded covers and discretly stored covers (under control of MC) I have now lost the connection between many of my flac files and there covers. I want to gets some scripts written to get these embedded in the flac files but only want to do this once !!! Any help/pointers for this exercise would be helpful. I already have some scripts to standardise my tag populating after initial rinnmping with dbpoweramp.

Thanks all.
Regards
Trevor

Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White
Synology DS411 NAS server/JR ID24.0.17/MC26.0.107-5/Benchmark DAC1 USB/Rotel RC1590/RB1582Mk2/Bowers and Wilkins CM10S2/CM1S2/Ruark Dialogue/REL R205
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 26   Go Up