INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Id Breaks Out  (Read 6338 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
The Id Breaks Out
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:49:30 pm »

We're adding to the current Id (now Id Classic) with a few other products.

Here's a draft page:
http://jriver.com/Id

Please help us refine what we offer.

Note that pricing is approximate and may still change.

Hilton

Re: The Id Breaks Out
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:20 pm »

Fully baked... good one! ;)

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:35:35 pm »

Yowza - that Id stick is going to be popular, especially if it can render and display video. I'm gonna get me one of those, and a copy of ID for reinstalls!

Please add a remote access option to the Ids. It is a royal PITA to have to take the device to somewhere I can hook up a keyboard, mouse, and monitor/TV to it. VNC would be nice. Even a telnet/ssh window into the text menu would work just fine.  Going to have to do that anyway, for the devices that do not have any video output.

Anything would work. :)

Yours,
-Paul

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:14 pm »

A Windows 8.1/10 version of the Compute Stick might also be a winner, as would a 32 GB Windows version of the USB Id.
Exciting times!
I can foresee a Windows Compute Stick connected to my dining room 1080p touch screen via the AVR. I guess it doesn't have to be Windows for the intended purpose if MC Linux is up to snuff - it's just hard to shake off the bias.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:34:48 pm »

Nice move on Pi2 and Id stick, congratulations !

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:59 am »

I still have this fascination with VFD alpha displays as a usb plug-in device driven by both 'stock' MC and the new hardware devices.  Have the MC driver pretty flexible so that we can choose what kind of 'now playing' info gets scrolled.

VFDs just look cool/sexy on a shelf in a darkened room.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:05:31 am »

Great to see MC expanding its business!

It would be awesome if there was an option for additional (software) combinations for the appliance: For example, TuneBlade preconfigured to allow Airplay.
This could be done with trial version of the software of even with a reseller agreement (all licenses included), and would allow the hardware / SW combo to be sold by the partners on their website as well. Would be a win-win-win :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:13:00 am »

This is sweet.  I didn't notice you'd made this public.

I'm ordering an Id Stick.  Nice job.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:48 am »

What's the break down on availability?

Obviously the Intel Stick will follow their release date but others, e.g. the usb version, should be on their way out the door ... when?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:33:19 am »

We should ship the USB Kit next week.

On a couple of the products, it says "Available in April".  If it doesn't say that, they are available now.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:51:20 am »

We should ship the USB Kit next week.

On a couple of the products, it says "Available in April".  If it doesn't say that, they are available now.

Great. Order for the usb kit is in.

Looking forward to the new arrival. Thanks.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 03:20:09 pm »

from the ID Page:
All Id devices require a receiver, TV, or DAC for audio output.

Yet I think the Id Pi includes an Stereo Analoge Out
JRiver CEO Elect

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 04:01:00 pm »

Yet I think the Id Pi includes an Stereo Analoge Out

My own Pi testing suggests that the analog out may perhaps not be well suited to hi-fi playback. And I don't mean that in a nebulous audiophile way; there was clearly audible noise and distortion on the units I tested. The HDMI output (being digital) is perfectly fine, as was the USB output.  YMMV, of course, and their fabrication may improve, etc.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 04:10:54 pm »

I had heard that the Pi 1 were bad but the new Pi are better?
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 04:12:42 pm »

When Id was running on wheezy kernel 3.14 back in June, I remarked, "Id Pi  :) Nice ambigram."

Now there really is Id Pi.

Insert Quote
Improved Pi hole?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 05:00:19 pm »

Looks like HiFi Berry have some nice daughter boards so you could have:

- Id Pi DAC (3 sub models of RCA, 3.5mm, or S/PDIF if the inbuilt Analogue Audio is not good enough)

- Id Pi Amp (could be a great All In One replacement for little amps discussed in Speakers for the JRiver Id if it all fit into the case.

JRiver CEO Elect

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 05:15:30 pm »

Good point; my measurements/listening were done with Pi 1's, I'll have to test the Pi 2's.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »

Just to close the loop on this, I would not recommend using (or advertising) the 3.5mm jack on the Pi2 as a hi fidelity audio output.  It's pretty staticky; the onboard DAC was clearly designed for making recognizable sounds, not for critical listening.  As noted above, the HDMI and USB outputs are just fine for audio, but the built in analog leaves something to be desired.

Hilton

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:35 pm »

Just to close the loop on this, I would not recommend using (or advertising) the 3.5mm jack on the Pi2 as a hi fidelity audio output.  It's pretty staticky; the onboard DAC was clearly designed for making recognizable sounds, not for critical listening.  As noted above, the HDMI and USB outputs are just fine for audio, but the built in analog leaves something to be desired.

Yep agreed, However using JRemote with Bluetooth or DLNA push to a DLNA renderer you may not even need a direct audio connection with the Pi.
In the testing I've been doing it works great in JRemote with Bluetooth from JRemote to a BT speaker or receiver, or using DLNA to push the audio to a DLNA renderer.

A USB DAC with headphone AMP and line out seems to be the best option for local Pi playback though.  I have a passive HDMI to analogue audio extractor I'll try tonight too.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:35 pm »

Yep agreed, However using JRemote with Bluetooth or DLNA push to a DLNA renderer you may not even need a direct audio connection with the Pi.
In the testing I've been doing it works great in JRemote with Bluetooth from JRemote to a BT speaker or receiver, or using DLNA to push the audio to a DLNA renderer.

In the bluetooth case is it the phone handling the output and the Pi is just acting as a server?  Or do you have a bluetooth dongle hooked up to your pi?  Once a phone's involved you have all kinds of options, for example, I know my phone works with most USB2 compatible DACs, etc.

A USB DAC with headphone AMP and line out seems to be the best option for local Pi playback though.  

Agreed, a USB DAC hooked to the pi is probably the easiest thing (and is what I plan to do with mine, either routing to headphones or speakers as needed)

I have a passive HDMI to analogue audio extractor I'll try tonight too.

I've got a monitor with a headphone jack for HDMI audio that I've been using to test the Pi's HDMI output.  So far it seems to work perfectly, but it's a pretty conventional HDMI setup.  I'll be interested to know if the splitter works well.

Hilton

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 09:59:19 pm »

In the bluetooth case is it the phone handling the output and the Pi is just acting as a server?  Or do you have a bluetooth dongle hooked up to your pi?  Once a phone's involved you have all kinds of options, for example, I know my phone works with most USB2 compatible DACs, etc.

Interesting you should make that comparison. I just picked up a BT dongle for the Pi at lunch today.

I was however talking about the iPhone doing the BT part, iPhone paired with a BT receiver/Speaker. It actually works very well this way.

I'll test using BT from the Pi to headphones/Speaker tonight using JRemote for control.

Since it appears 12000mAH is way overkill for a portable Pi, I've picked up a couple of smaller capacity USB power banks to try(2200mAh and 3200mAh), along with a Toshiba 1TB slim 2.5" portable drive.

Agreed, a USB DAC hooked to the pi is probably the easiest thing (and is what I plan to do with mine, either routing to headphones or speakers as needed)
The Pi works great with my portable FiiO E17 DAC/Headphone Amp and with the Desktop FiiO dock too.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 10:11:35 pm »

Since it appears 12000mAH is way overkill for a portable Pi, I've picked up a couple of smaller capacity USB power banks to try(2200mAh and 3200mAh), along with a Toshiba 1TB slim 2.5" portable drive.

I think you'll find the power consumption will jump quite a bit with the drive attached; my slim WD 1tb drive draws about three times as much power as the Pi does!

The Pi works great with my portable FiiO E17 DAC/Headphone Amp and with the Desktop FiiO dock too.

That's funny, I was testing with an Fiio e17 too (and I agree it works great).  Great minds think alike (or something like that  ;D )

Denti

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 07:12:05 am »

I'm a bit confused by the Id Pi... why is it listed as suitable for "advanced users"? If it comes with Debian, MC20, and Id firmware installed shouldn't it be pretty straightforward to get working?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 05:01:48 pm »

In my opinion, it may require more hands on attention.  Eventually, this may change.  It's really up to you to decide if you're willing to invest the time if needed.

We also have less experience with the rPi, compared to the NUC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up