INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Start MC (21) and no Guidelist no booked recordings?  (Read 5890 times)

trevoraiston

• World Citizen
Start MC (21) and no Guidelist no booked recordings?
« on: September 06, 2015, 03:55:16 pm »

Tried restoring library from yesterdays backup no joy.  Do I have to setup EPG again?

Trevor
Trevor
CustomBuild HTPC. YAMAHA RXV673 BK A/V RCVR, AE:Floor Standing AEGIS NEO 3 SPEAKERS,Center: AE NEO 7ii BK CTR SPKR, Sub NEO 8ii BK SUB, Rear:AEGIS NEO 1 V2 SPEAKERS (BLK), Sony MDR-HW700 headphones, KDL55W829BBU SONY 55" 800HZ SMART LED TV and OPPO BDP-105DBMR MULTIREGIONED FOR BLU RAY AND DVD

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Start MC (21) and no Guidelist no booked recordings?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:44:04 am »

If your in the uk there is a problem with epg

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:34 am »

would using epg collector work?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 12:06:35 pm »

I have just used EPG collector and it populates my guide fine now so as a work around its ideal

http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcollector/

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 12:07:33 pm »

To setup EPG Collector...
1. Download the latest "EPG Collector V040200 Install.msi" here http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcoll ... iles/V4.2/
2. Install EPG collector
3. Have a look at the first post in this forum - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77177.0 it was the guide I used to configure EPG Collector
4. As mentioned in the above forum, in EPG Collector Go to File -> Create Collection parameters...
5. From the list I chose UK - Freesat
6. In the Tuners list I chose my Freesat tuner (could probably leave this as "Any available tuner")
7. Select the "Output" tab, in the "Output Method" section at the top select "EPG Collector Reports the data to Windows Media Center".
8. From the File menu select "Save As" and save your collection settings.
9. Click the Globe icon on the toolbar to "Collect EPG". Or you can do this via the Run->Collect EPG menu.
10. I didn't change any other values, all were left as defaults.
11. EPG Collector will go off and interrogate the receiver to read the channel data.
12. When finished, no channels were imported into Media Center because they need to be mapped to the new EPG data.
13. Mapping the MCE channels is mentioned in the EPG Collector ReadMe.txt file (Section 5.2.2). Here's the bit you need:
....1. Navigate to the programme guide.
....2. Click on the channel name.
....3. Click 'Edit Channel'.
....4. Click 'Edit Listings'.
....5. Click 'Disable Inband' if necessary.
....6. Scan the list of EPG sources and click on the relevant entry.
....7. Click 'Save'
14. I didn't have the "inband" option in the steps mentioned above.
15. What you need to do is carry out step 13 for every channel, in the available listings you will see the channel name with "EPG Collector" after it i.e. BBC1 EPG Collector. Choose this as the channel listing source.
16. That's all.

I found EPG Collector quite easy to use, though un-intuitive. It latched straight onto my receiver card and didn't need much setting up.

When I get 5 minutes I'm going to set it up as a scheduled task so that it collects the data every day.

To be honest I will probably continue to use EPG Collector after Microsoft fix their EPG servers because the MS EPG never did provide EPG data for all of my channels. It looks like with this setup you can have some channels provided by the Microsoft Servers, and others obtained over the air.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 12:14:48 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to post the instructions.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:16 pm »

i found it from the mce area in the green button. It works well so im not sure if maybe you could implement this into your software similar to what you have done with the US guide data.
To be honest the guide data from EPG collector for the UK is much more complete than what microsoft have

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 05:19:45 am »

Thanks. EPG Collector has worked for me and already this looks to be providing better data via a more robust mechanism than the various Internet-based collection methods previously used.

Further to what daveyravey said, when you first use EPG Collector it looks overwhelming but stick with it and follow his instructions (and those in the post he referenced) and it works well. Most settings don't need to be updated so change as little as possible. Just tell it what tuner to use, set a "Delivery System", delete any defaulted scanning frequency if that was wrong and setup an output file. On the Output tab I set the "Output Method" to be "Create XMLTV file" (rather than "EPG Collector imports the data to Windows Media Centre"). I could then import the output file into MC and MC matched the channels, etc, and I didn't need to perform the setup in step 13 of daveyravey's post.

That worked fine so I set Windows Scheduler to run EPG Collector at 00:00 every night and setup MC to import the XMLTV file at 01:00. That worked fine last night so hopefully the problem is not only fixed but we have a better setup than before.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:33:53 pm »

Epg collector actually pulls data from the TV signal which is a better solution than what Microsoft do.

I believe Yaobing is planning to do this during the development of MC21...Correct me if I'm wrong Yaobing!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 04:09:27 pm »

MC can get EPG data from the signal now.  It isn't usually very good.  Maybe you're just lucky where you live.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 04:26:08 pm »

MC can get EPG data from the signal now.  It isn't usually very good. 

Only in the US.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 12:22:27 am »

Are you planning to change that Yaobing?  ;D.  Guide data over the air in the uk is very good much more detailed than Microsoft epg

dorsetjon

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 11:19:50 am »

+1 for what Daveyravey wrote - OTA EPG is good in the UK so it would make MC a better product if the EPG could be obtained from the signal in countries other than the US.

trevoraiston

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 12:55:29 pm »

+1 for what Daveyravey wrote - OTA EPG is good in the UK so it would make MC a better product if the EPG could be obtained from the signal in countries other than the US.

Clearly doing something wrong.  I'm getting no data using EPG with Caldbeck Freeview.

Think I need to re-read instructions and try again :-(

Trevor
Trevor
CustomBuild HTPC. YAMAHA RXV673 BK A/V RCVR, AE:Floor Standing AEGIS NEO 3 SPEAKERS,Center: AE NEO 7ii BK CTR SPKR, Sub NEO 8ii BK SUB, Rear:AEGIS NEO 1 V2 SPEAKERS (BLK), Sony MDR-HW700 headphones, KDL55W829BBU SONY 55" 800HZ SMART LED TV and OPPO BDP-105DBMR MULTIREGIONED FOR BLU RAY AND DVD
Pages: [1]   Go Up