INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 40475 times)

ibob

• nothing more to say...
Re: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2003, 03:54:57 pm »

I have just found the delights of MC9 which is a joy coming from the nasty supplied software with my ipod 30GB.

The problem is that the sync speed is 0.99MB/s therefore taking days to complete, have I done something wrong or missed an option.

Many thanks   ?

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2003, 04:26:35 pm »

Bob,

You'll notice that my post, the one just before yours, states I'm having the same problem (0.98 MB/s).  Thus far, nobody has responded to this issue but I find it hard to believe we're the only ones that are experiencing it.  Hopefully, somebody who also had this problem will help us out because if there is no way around it I doubt I'll even use MC9 for transferring files.  Ephpod was blazing fast, but limited in many other areas.  I'm optimistic that we can get this resolved because there are so many other posts out there stating transfer speeds of between 4-7 MB/sec or faster, and I have to believe that some of them are running Windows XP Pro and connected via Firewire-to-USB 2.0 cable, which is my case.

Please, somebody, anybody, help us out with this - it's so frustrating!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2003, 04:30:33 pm »

Bob and Josey,
Do you have anything in common?

What other software is running?  

You can check here and at ipodlounge.com and find that most people find MC very fast.

It's also always possible that we have introduced a bug.

Jim

Juice

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2003, 04:31:04 pm »

I'm having an issue that I hope someone can help with. I have tried to upload a second set of MP3s to my iPOD(first set went OK).
I send the files to the iPOD and selected "upload", all went well.... the Xfer took place and all of the folders/files showed up Ok in MC.
When I went to the iPOD to look, none of the music was there. It looks as if the HD space was taken. but the songs are not there.

I am going to re-format and try again, but would like to know if I did somethink incorrectly.

Thanks,
Nick
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
-Albert Einstein

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2003, 06:55:56 pm »

Steve:

Can you humour Kurt and I (and Chris) and look at this post over at the 'lounge.

Seems this gent has been able to access the playcounts/ratings files.  I'm wondering if they didn't change something in 2.0.1 because according to him it's persistent until you unmount the iPod.  Perhaps we can finally get this in?

Josey and iBob:

The speeds you're getting are not indicative of MC9.  I've found it to be faster than ephpod in many ways.  So, something else is up.  What I would recommend doing is trying it through sync, I'm guessing you're doing Upload.  Create a smartlist w/the tunes you want on the iPod, then right-click the iPod and select "Synchronize"

See if you have better results.  It shouldn't make a difference, but perhaps .221 introduced a bug, not sure.

Also, are you both using USB?  Although I can't imagine that would have any effect, I'm just curious is there might be some correlation.

Adam

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2003, 08:30:48 pm »

Adam,

I'm not running MC9.1.xxx as of yet because I don't know enough about MC (or computers in general) to rely on a beta version.  I'm still running MC 9.0.180.  I did download the songs using sync as you mentioned (at least from what I think you meant by it) and the transfer rate was 0.98 MB/s.  I'll try what you mentioned about creating a playlist of song to transfer to iPod (which is everything I've ripped so far) and see if it improves things.  Up until now is clicked sync, then I deselect every checkbox except "All Music" box in the Auto Smartlist (Music) folder.  Then I make sure that the Update Tags box is checked, then I click on OK.

I'm running XP Pro with a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, over a gig of DDR RAM, and am connected to a USB 2.0 port using the Apple Firewire-to-USB adapter cable they sell on their website.  Either way, I'll try what you mentioned (new playlist of song to send to iPod) and see what my transfer speed is that way.

If I'm misinterpretting what you suggested, please let me know as I'll try anything to get this resolved.  Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Josey Wales

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2003, 09:57:06 pm »

Jason and Bob,

Just to clarify, data transfer to your iPod through other means is as fast as it should be?  Like if you drag your entire music folder onto your iPod's icon (in My Computer), does it transfer fast or as slow as it does via MC9?

Just want to clarify if the problem is before or after MC and that this isn't a USB2 driver issue or something.

Steve,

What Adam said.  ;)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Bob W

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2003, 10:40:49 pm »

It's late and I really apologize if this has been a common problem, but I scanned this and the prior threads and none seem to address this:

I just purchased a new iPod, 15GB. Took it out of the box, went to MC->Check for upgrades and downloaded 180, went to the plug-ins page and downloaded the iPod plug in, and hooked the unit up to my machine. After a reboot, I renamed the drive to IPOD, but despite my best efforts (including running a restore from the tool pointed to in the "instructions"), I cannot get the iPod to appear under Handhelds.

For months prior to this I had an old iPod, which worked very well. Can somebody please suggest what I should try, or what further information I need to provide?  

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Bob W

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2003, 10:48:52 pm »

Quick update: I tried formatting the drive in Windows, but the max size it could do was 38MB. This, however, made it visible in MC. I didn't have the option to format for MC, but I could drag files to it.

I redid Apple's Restore thing and now MC can't see it again. If it helps, the Restore thing doesn't seem to go quite as planned... I don't get a 'plug in" picture that I know of in the middle after a disconnect....

:( I want my new iPod to work... :)

Thanks again for any help.
Bob

SteveG

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2003, 05:23:21 am »

Bob and Josey,

I would highly recommend getting MC 9.1.221 if you are having problems with 9.0.180. I think this and a reformat will solve your problems unless you are experiencing similar slowness with other applications which would point to a hardware problem.

Everyone,

From what I have heard, it appears 2.0.1 firmware enables playcounts and ratings so I will enable this shortly.

Steve

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2003, 07:47:25 am »

Everyone,  

From what I have heard, it appears 2.0.1 firmware enables playcounts and ratings so I will enable this shortly.

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

:D :D :D

Thanks Steve that is awesome.  The only program that will do that other than iTunes.  How frickin' cool.

I can't wait for this......

:drools, excessively:

Adam

Kurt Young

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2003, 07:51:51 am »

<snip!>
Everyone,

Steve

[size=8]YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWW!!!![/SIZE]
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2003, 08:41:16 am »

If you guys get playcounts and ratings working, and are able to increase the replay gain similar to what Xplay has done, you are going to have one killer application on your hands  (not that it's not fantastic already).

I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait!!!!!

Thanks for looking into Steve  (and everyone else for figuring out it's possible).

Excuse me, I must go now, my drool bucket runneth over and must be emptied...

Bob W

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2003, 09:21:13 am »

Thanks for the reply. Will do tonight, and I'll keep you posted on whether it works.

Bob

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2003, 10:38:40 am »

Bob,

You said this:

Quick update: I tried formatting the drive in Windows, but the max size it could do was 38MB. This, however, made it visible in MC. I didn't have the option to format for MC, but I could drag files to it.

What do you mean "the max size it could do was 38 MB"?  What is "it"?  WindowsXP hardrive format process?  Did you mistype 38 MB and mean some other number AND GB, not MB?  Did you install the iPod Service (not iPod Manager, but the Windows System Service)?  To check, click start, run and type "Services.msc" and scroll through the list of services and look for one for the iPod and make sure it is set to automatic and that it is currently running.

Wobbley

Bob W

• Recent member
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2003, 10:41:21 am »

The only size that the XP format dialog would allow me to select was 38MB. I haven't installed any iPod service that I know of. I'll check that as well tonight.

Kurt Young

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2003, 11:55:30 am »

I would strongly suggest not using any disk utilities, including Windows XP, to format or repartition your iPod's hard drive.  Bad juju.

As a last resort, perhaps, but try to only format the drive with the iPod updater itself.  If the updater won't see the iPod, try "forced firewire" mode.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2003, 02:24:56 pm »

Here's my tale of "good news - bad news".  

The Good News - I posted the other day about my abysmal transfer rates using MC9.0.180 (which was giving me about 0.98 MB/s) and have found that after intalling MC9.1.221 the transfer rate now averages around 120 MB/s.  Blazing Fast!

The Bad News - Now that I have MC9.1.221, I cannot rip any audio cds.  I get error/warning messages ("no audio tracks were selected for copying" or "Only audio tracks can be used for copying") regardless of which disc I try to rip.

Swapped one problem for another - thus is the story of my life.  Any suggestions?

Regards,

Josey Wales

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2003, 02:50:37 pm »

Josey:

The reason it's going so fast is that those songs are already on your iPod, so it's just updating the iPod database/checking that they songs are all there.  Try deleting 10 songs off of your iPod and then reupload them.  See the results then.

Regarding the ripping problem, it's probably best if your report that in the Beta thread at the top of this forum, be sure to include all your system specs.  You can get that from directly in MC9, by going to Help>System Info, copy that to your clipboard and paste it into the thread you post.

Adam

gmonkey

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2003, 03:50:41 pm »

The Bad News - Now that I have MC9.1.221, I cannot rip any audio cds.

Ripping bug has been fixed in 222. :)

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2003, 04:58:58 pm »

Ripping bug fixed, tranfer speed to sync still lousy (@ least for me)!  I had no issues with beta 9.1.221, but 9.1.222 & 9.0.180 are terrible for me.  I'm getting....are you read for this....(simulated drum roll please) 0.89 MB/s when I sync to my iPod.  If you want to see what hardware I'm using, see my posts above, but I'm really running out of patience with the sync speed issue I'm having.

I need ideas, even if they're off the cuff, on what I can do to fix this.  Please reply or PM if you have any advice.

Regards,

Josey Wales

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2003, 05:16:01 pm »

Josey:

Are you by any chance converting the files to a lower bitrate on upload?  Did you mess w/any settings previously that you might have forgotton about?

Here's how to check.  Select some songs, then right click and send them to the ipod.

Click on the ipod, at the bottom, there will be an Options button.  Click that and see if you're doing any conversions.  Those will slow things down....

If not, I'm guessing this has to be USB related. Your sure you've got USB 2 right?  I know, that sounds stupid, but I have to ask....

Adam

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2003, 06:14:18 am »

Playlist sync doesn't work.

I've added a new group of playlist and added three list in this group.
I am however undable to get this sync'ed to my wiPod
- event tried right-click send to

Any suggestions

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2003, 10:08:28 am »

ugilt:

I did a sync w/.222 no problem.  Are you saying that the new playlist group you made didn't show up in the sync dialog?

Hm...let me try that..

Nope, worked fine for me.  Can you give some more specifics?

Adam

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2003, 10:26:03 am »

APE retransfers don't update tags

Steve,

Been away from the thread for a while, just listening to the music...  :)  Very happy that you're still working on this.

Update tags doesn't seem to work when re-transferring ape files.

I renamed an already transferred album, sent it to the IPOD, and pushed upload.  Skips through the album (without trying to decode it), and finishes without an error message.  (Just a guess, but maybe when the plugin decides it doesn't need to decode the ape file it skips onto the next without checking the tags?)

I think there may still be some other bugs when transcoding files.  I'll try and narrow down a couple of examples to pass along.

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2003, 12:23:09 pm »

Re.: Playlist sync doesn't work.

Adam,

Added a new Plalistgroup at the root and within that 3 playlist. They did show up in the sync dialog but was not transfered to the wiPod.

Running this version:
Media Center Registered 9.1.222 -- d:\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1529 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 251 MB

7_cats

• Recent member
  • this is the modern world that i've heard about...
OMG--windows error if i right click on ipod
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2003, 02:55:04 pm »

and ipod says no songs on it, though 13gb are "used".  i tried uninstalling and reinstalling 9.1.222 :'(

help!!! i can't sync my pod and rebuidld the database w/o the send error to microsoft message!!!!
some smooth chords, on the car radio....

SteveG

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2003, 06:09:55 pm »

ugilt and 8_cats,

Can you try to narrow down the problem. If possible, start from a clean slate (i.e Format iPod from Windows or with iPod Manager and then Format from within MC). Once the iPod is clean, ugilt, try synching or transfering just the Playlist group that is failing to see if you can identify what is wrong.

8_cats, try going to the music folder on the iPod from Windows and see if files are actually there. Were you using any other programs to access iPod after you started working with MC?

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2003, 10:42:23 am »

Bob and Josey,

Finally, I'm convinced to spend my money on this!  :D

When can we expect to see it implemented?

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2003, 11:50:19 am »

ok, here's some more to work on.
Getting a clean slate and ONLY sync'ing the new playlist are ok.

But when adding a HUGE playlist
"00 - decade" => [Year]=2000-2009" and including this in the sync only this "00 - decade" makes it to the wiPod

The "00 - decade" is aprox. 12,6 Gig - 2.700+ files
and does also includes the songs on the new playlist.

Can it be the size of this palylist that gives the trouble?

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2003, 11:57:16 am »

And somre more fuel and posible cause of issue

Got four playlist for 4 decades but ALL playlists are identical!

ie. [Year]=1990-1999 - 2.700+ songs
and [Year]=2000-2009 - EXACTLY SAME 2.700 songs!
- one of thier properties sayes Date (year) = "2003"

But how the h... is that popping up in the first mentioned playlist ?

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2003, 12:58:51 pm »

ok. Did redo the def of the playlist as the format seems to have changed from the official version to the beta..

problems remains.

UN-checked twp large playlist each of 1.400+ songs

and.... it works!

My conclusion is that there seems to be a sync issue with HUGE lists

SteveG

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2003, 02:23:57 pm »

ugilt,

Please confirm what version of MC you have.

bdjohns1,

Not sure, but hopefully pretty soon.

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2003, 08:24:07 pm »

ugilt, steve,
  I've had this problem with HUGE playlist and syncs for a long time. I tried syncing playlists with 4000+ songs on it. I have never been able to solve this. I've been trying to upload my files little by little now, but this is very annoying.... I'd hate to have to use a different piece of software for my ipod :-(

Bob W

• Recent member
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2003, 09:26:22 pm »

quick update - sorry guys, my prior messages were crap. My iPod's all working well now - I had read the instructions' link posted at the beginning of this thread (I think it's this one), which implies you don't need to install anything (I think it was true for the first one); once I installed the iPod manager from the CD, all was OK.

Thanks.
Bob

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2003, 10:05:04 pm »

SteveG
Please confirm what version of MC you have.

Running this..
Media Center Registered 9.1.222 -- d:\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1529 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 193 MB

SteveG

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2003, 05:53:51 am »

Bob,

Thanks for the update.

ugilt and DigitalTrapper, I will try to duplicate the problem you report and if I can find it, then I will fix it.

Steve

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2003, 06:39:15 am »

Hello there,

I have a 20g WinIpod running Win XP and MC9 (9.0.149)and when I try to sync 2 songs that have the same song title (for example: Johnny 99 by the Boss and Johnny 99 by Los Lobos) it will duplicate one of the versions so that I get two versions of the Springsteen version and it does not add the Los Lobos version.  I have looked all over to try and figure out what setting causes this but have been unsuccessful.  Any ideas?  I thought that the "Overwrite existing files that have the same name" option might have something to do with this, however, I just checked and it was not selected.  Basically I just want to ensure that if I add a song with the same song title as an existing song on my Ipod that it will not overwrite one of the versions.

Thanks,

Chris

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2003, 07:04:54 am »

A couple of things:

I've had this problem since my very first version of MC9, I think -- it will sometimes just flip open the CD/Disk item and flip it closed, open, closed, open, closed. uncontrollably. When it does this sometimes I can be quick enough to click on the right thing to sync my iPod, sometimes I can't. Any idea what this is about?

This is new in my current version. When I sync, I often get MC9 telling me I'll have -.2G (or something like that) available after sync. I remove a bunch of items from the playlist I'm syncing, but the number doesn't change. If I manually check and know I have enough space, go ahead with the sync, then it works fine and I don't go over the limit.

Media Center Registered 9.1.218 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 499 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 15 MB
Resource Info: System - 28 %, GDI - 61 %, User - 28 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive G: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2003, 08:30:08 am »

Well, here's what I've done and seen since trying your suggestions. I reformatted the iPod using the iPod Manager, then I opened MC and formatted my iPod for MC, meaning I should be now working with a clean iPod, correct? Then I right clicked on the iPod and selected Sync. I made sure that the only fire (checkbox) selected for synching was the "All Music" playlist, then I clicked on the Options box just to make sure that I didn't have anything selected inside here (nothing was). I then reconfirmed that All Music was the only checkbox marked. I noticed a message on the bottom of the sync box that said, "Space Available After Sync: 8.0 GB" so I knew that I was only trying to send about 940 mp3s (everything/the only stuff I have ripped so far and the only thing inside MC). Then I clicked OK to begin the synching and things started off promising. I noticed a transfer rate of just over 10 MB/s, but this only lasted for about 10 seconds, at which point I got that familiar error message, "Available Size Exceeded. Transfer Cancelled."

Then, to make things worse my iPod drive (F-drive completely disappears after hitting OK to close the error message box. I cannot regain my iPod directory unless I completely restart my computer (simply closing MC and opening it again doesn't do it), and sometimes even that doesn't work!

To get a better feel for my list of problems, check out the following thread at ipodloung.com at http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5077&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

These multiple issues are driving me nuts. If it's not one things it's another. I venture to say that if we can figure out what this problem is the result of, another will step in and assume its place in no time.

Am I missing something here? Am I doing something wrong? Did I misunderstand your recommendations? Really, I'm asking sincerely because I don't know what else to do. Please let me know. By the time I get this straightened out the Gen. 4 models will likely be out......  

Regards,

Josey Wales

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2003, 09:23:03 am »

Josey,
That sounds like it could be a hardware or driver problem.

Just as a test, try synching small playlists, one by one.

I saw a similar problem once with a USB to Ethernet adaptor.  It was fine if you transferred small files, but it died when you tried to transfer a lot of big files.

Jim

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2003, 10:59:09 am »

Josey Wales,

What kind of firewire card are you using? I'm willing to bet that's your problem...

Wobbley

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2003, 11:03:20 am »

Wobbley - I'm not using a firewire card/port, I'm using USB 2.0.  I bought the optional firewire-to-usb adapter cable off the Apple website when I purchased my iPod.

Jim H. - It could very well be a USB driver issue, I'm just not sure how to get the proper drivers back in place.  Inside the device manager everything under USB controllers looked fine (i.e. no yellow or red marks next to any of them), however I did think it was odd for me to be showing 14 different items within the USB controllers tree since I only have 8 USB 2.0 ports.

Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations?

Josey

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2003, 11:06:42 am »

Josey,
Did you check Apple or the manufacturer of the device for any updates or tips?

Did you try synching small playlists?

Jim

sbh718

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2003, 01:11:47 pm »

I thought I'd try my new 30g ipod out on MC, having previously used ephpod with my older 10g ipod. (Ephpod transferred songs well, but I wanted the ability to play and edit my playlists before transfer, which MC does and ephpod doesn't.) I just can't get MC to work, however, despite following Adam Shawley's tutorial to the letter. First, I uploaded 6g's, very, very slowly, only to find that the playlists didn't transfer and the ipod wouldn't open when I undocked it. I then did another restore, and when I tried to format the ipod for mc, was unable to find the "format ipod for MC" command in the drop down menu. It seems obvious that unless I have the ipod specifically formatted for MC, it won't sync. Does anyone know how to get this command? Does anyone know how to transfer playlists (my m3u playlists open up nicely on MC, but they just don't seem to transfer). Help would be very much appreciated, since MC seems like the best all around ipod music manager (MMJB was terrible!)

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2003, 04:59:52 pm »

sbh718:

You should be able to access the iPod from the CDs, DVDs and Handhelds tree item in MC9.  Is it showing up there?

If not, make sure you've named the iPod in My Comuter as "IPOD" (no quotes).  I think my help guide has instructions for this, just right click the iPod in My Computer, select properties and on the General tab is the volume name, make sure it says iPod.

Once that's done, you should be able to right click it (under CDs, DVDs and Handhelds) and select Format for MC).  Once that's done, right click again and select Synchronize.  Choose the playlists/smartlists your've make and you're off.

It shouldn't take a long time.  You should get faster speeds (or at a minimum at least as fast) as what you got w/ephpod.

Adam

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2003, 05:03:37 pm »

Josey:

I've thought of a little test that we haven't tried yet.  I feel quite lame that I haven't thought of this before....

Let's copy some tunes to the iPod using My Computer just to test out your connection.

Grab like 50 mp3s.  Copy them and then just paste them to the root of your iPod drive in My Computer.

See how long it takes.  If the speed is typical (1 song a second) it should take, well, 50 seconds or so.  I'd say the range should be w/in 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.

Adam.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2003, 05:23:02 am »

Hello there,

I have a 20g WinIpod running Win XP and MC9 (9.0.149)and when I try to sync 2 songs that have the same song title (for example: Johnny 99 by the Boss and Johnny 99 by Los Lobos) it will duplicate one of the versions so that I get two versions of the Springsteen version and it does not add the Los Lobos version.  I have looked all over to try and figure out what setting causes this but have been unsuccessful.  Any ideas?  I thought that the "Overwrite existing files that have the same name" option might have something to do with this, however, I just checked and it was not selected.  Basically I just want to ensure that if I add a song with the same song title as an existing song on my Ipod that it will not overwrite one of the versions.  

Thanks,  

Chris  

SteveG

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2003, 05:39:05 am »

Chris,

What version of MC are you running? If older than 9.1.220, please update to 9.1.224 and retest.

Adam,

Thanks for your suggestions to Josey and sbh718.

Josey Wales

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2003, 08:07:31 am »

Jim H., Adam, and whoever else will listen:

Well, here's my latest update.  Trials and Tribulations, part 25:

Last night I spent most of my night on the phone with the tech support staff from both Dell and Apple trying hone in on the problem.  Here's where that "got me":

Dell: While stumbling over the language barrier hurdle (all Dell tech support is contracted out to India), my goal was to verify that I had the right drivers installed for my USB 2.0 ports.  We've discussed how my transfer speeds (0.89 MB/s) seem to be more consistent with USB 1.1 or 1.0  and not 2.0 so I thought maybe somehow my USB drivers were lost or corrupted.  I felt it would be a fairly simple process, but I didn't know how to do it on my own so I called on Dell for guidance.  We talked for about an hour trying various things and at the end of our discussion the tech rep said that I now could be sure I had the right drivers in place.  I have to say that I'm not very confident in her statement, mainly because they follow a premade step-by-step guide to troubleshoot customer problems as opposed to going off of experience and personal knowledge.  Nevertheless I am forced (until I find out how to do this on my own) to believe that I have the right drivers in place and my USB ports should not be an issue.  Then I decided to call Apple....

Apple: I wanted to talk to Apple about the error message I was getting - the one that was telling me that I didn't have enough space available to complete the file transfer, then it would terminate the sync and then I would lose my F-drive icon within MC (not the exact wording of the message obviously, but you get the idea).  The Apple rep was quick to point out that they only supported MMJB version 7.5 and nothing else.  He asked me if I did a complete iPod restore (which I did), if I was running the latest iPod software version 2.0.1 (which I am) and I had formatted my iPod for use with the various applications I was trying to use (which I also had done).  He basically had two comments for me.  First, he said that I should not be using anything other than MMJB v7.5 or he wouldn't be able to help me.  I told him that I new of many other users of other apps (MC, Ephpod, XPlay, and even MMJB v8.0) that weren't having any issues but he insisted that I use MMJB v7.5 or he wouldn't be able to help me.  Second, he said that I could very easily have a malfunctioning iPod and there could be a problem with its hard drive.  He told me to go back to using MMJB v7.5 and see what happens.  He also gave me a website link to use if I wanted to send it in for service (inspection/repair).

At the end of the phone conversations I was no closer to a solution and felt as frustrated and depressed as I have since getting the iPod.  Here I have this brand new iPod and I can't use it for one reason or another.  It's my $400 paperweight, along with the costs of buying MMJB and all their future releases ($60, I know, I'm an idiot but it was before I knew about MC) and the $40 I just shelled out for MC, plus various iPod accessories (FM transmitter, firewire-to-usb adapter cable, etc.) - all in all we're talking about $550 worth of stuff that doesn't work!

Adam - I'll try your latest suggestion tonight and see what happens.  Forgive me if I'm less than optimistic about it working, but I do appreciate you help throughout this ordeal.

Apple can't help me because they claim it's a problem with my computer or the application I using (if other than MMJB v7.5), Dell can 't help me because they say it's a problem with the iPod or the software I'm running with it, and JRiver can't help me because apparently my problems are the result of a bad iPod or something screwed up with my computer.  WHO CAN HELP!  Running in circles, not getting anywhere.

I feel a little better having let that out  :-[ - sorry about that:rolleyes: but you can probably imagine what I'm going through.  Still open for ideas if you've got em.

Josey Wales
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up