INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiccups Cure  (Read 8144 times)

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
Hiccups Cure
« on: May 15, 2005, 12:09:05 pm »

A few months ago I posted here:  ASIO--Clicks, hiccups, etc.

Not sure above is the correct way to insert link to earlier post--sorry if not.

Anyway I received a few replies, none of which helped to cure the audio "hiccups" whenever I launched my email or certain other apps/actions that spiked CPU.

As I mentioned at that time I had switched sound cards from a USB Stereo-Link 1200 (no hiccups) to an E-MU 0404 ASIO based PCI card (greatly improved SQ but with hiccups).

Finally a few days ago somebody over at head-fi.org tipped me off to the "PCI latency" issue. See:

http://www.geocities.com/phileosophos/tech/pcilatency.html

This sounded exactly like my problem. I didn't feel like blowing $30 on the "Power Strip" utility solution--something I'd likely use all of once. So I searched around a bit and found "PCI Latency Tool v. 2.5," a free utility available at: http://www.audiotrak.net/support_faq.htm

I changed the PCI latency settings to the values recommended at audiotrak. The hiccups are gone. I can launch whatever I want--multi-task to my heart's content--while listening to unsullied pristine sound. I love it.

I was about to upgrade my CPU--motherboard--buy another USB/Firewire sound card--search for a way to change ASIO buffer settings deep in WaveLab or Cubase.

The clue that it was a PCI issue was that the problem surfaced when I switched from a USB to PCI sound card. Of course it could have been an ASIO thing too.

Hope this helps some others here who may be grappling with this stinker...

bc

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: Hiccups Cure
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 02:04:59 pm »

Thats quite a funky tool like that
Cheers bc!
I've been having a similar problem with my TB Santa Cruz on Trillian.
Time will tell if it's a permentent fix tho!

(hriZ

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 02:44:38 pm »

Thanks very much for taking time to report the fix.  It will definitely help someone else.

I'll add it to the "Weird and wonderful" thread.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 03:05:05 pm »

Maybe give it a broader header/keyword(s) as it may not be easy to find.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25511.msg188750#msg188750

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 03:28:18 pm »

I have a semi-related question ...

What is the benefit to using AISO drivers for MC?  I know that (okay, I think I know that) AISO drivers are much lower latency, which benefits in a recording-studio situation, but how is it helpful in MC?

I have a M-Audio Revolution sound card on one machine, and an Audigy 2 on another.  I'm reasonably sure both could use AISO drivers, but I've never known why I should (or should not).  I just keep MC set to DirectSound and everything seems good!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 03:57:49 pm »

I guess the short answer is that it sounds better. Of course this is arguable at best--maybe impossible to prove. But if one thinks it sounds better--I guess it sounds better.

I do think it sounds better. A few people with reputedly "Golden Ears" agree with me.

The other issue I've heard cited is that Direct Sound processes the signal through Windows kernel while ASIO does not. Some claim that Windows does the same kind of upsampling that allegedly degrades the SQ in sound cards like Audigy or otherwise affects SQ.

So ASIO, it is said, provides a purer signal. Surely there are others here or elsewhere (head-fi.org) who may be able to give a more complete technical explanation of all this. Some may also refute that there is any audible difference.

What I can tell you for sure is that my ASIO-based E-MU 0404 sounds strikingly better than my original Audigy or the USB Stereo-Link that replaced it. This is not a subtle difference. This is huge.
bc

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 12:20:28 am »

Thanks from me as well BC.

I suspected it might be a quality thing.  I, personally, can't hear the difference with my two cards (even though I do have fairly high-quality speaker systems and at least the M-Audio card is worthwhile).   :P  Of course, I've spent many years listening to music far too loud, so I wouldn't guess I'm a "golden ear".

The 96/48 conversion in DirectSound thing could certainly be true, and this would be a definate difference.  Does anyone have confirmation on this?  Somewhere I could check out the actual technical details?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 04:42:32 am »

I guess the short answer is that it sounds better. Of course this is arguable at best--maybe impossible to prove. But if one thinks it sounds better--I guess it sounds better.

I do think it sounds better. A few people with reputedly "Golden Ears" agree with me.

Hmmmm, if you stay with that there can be no arguement.

When I see people saying that ASIO, kernel mode, etc are better than directsound, I have to laugh.

It just reminds me of the 70s and 80s when belt vs direct drive was rage.
There are those who wish to believe that they have found a 'secret' method of better sound. And not surprisingly those types find places they can go to get their opinions reinforced.

Pages: [1]   Go Up