INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC15 crashes with ffdshow  (Read 5343 times)

daniel_2k

• World Citizen
MC15 crashes with ffdshow
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:43:36 am »

Hi!

Since ffdshow Version > 3461 MC crashes when I try to play a .mp4 or .flv-file which contains H.246 content (ffdshow decodes H.246). What happend?
Version 3361 is working fine in MC Build 75.
What can I do?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MC15 crashes with ffdshow
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:42:39 am »

The newer versions of FFDShow try to support IAMStreamSelect interface but don't work correctly.

Avoide those newer versions and stay with their "official release" (beta 7 rev 3154) for now.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:46:14 am »

Is there any easy way we could safe guard against this crash?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:57:56 am »

There is no easy way other than black-listing FFDShow for this interface (i.e. skipping FFDShow when looking for this interface).  Then there could be another filter doing the same thing.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:15:54 pm »

Daniel / Yaobing, is it worth reporting the issue at the tryout thread http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465 ?
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 06:45:10 pm »

Daniel / Yaobing, is it worth reporting the issue at the tryout thread http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465 ?

It may be a good idea.  I am temporarily skipping FFDShow filters when asking for the stream selection interface, until FFDShow handles it correctly.  The good news is that it does not affect MC playback as long as we avoid the crash.  In most cases the stream selection is done through Haali Media Splitter.  Only in cases when Haali media splitter is not involved such capability on FFDShow may be useful.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 06:56:31 pm »

Albain / clsid et al are pretty pro-active with the FFDSHOW mods at present so if someone posted the details, I'm sure they would look at the issue.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 07:13:56 pm »

Thanks.  I'll try.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:16:06 pm »

I tried to post, but it wants me to wait 5 days.  If anyone else is so inclined, please do so.

Post here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465&page=606

Post this:
[from JimH at jriver]

Thanks to jmone, who pointed us here.

Thanks to the devs for great software.

We may have found a minor problem.  Our developer, Yaobing talked about it in this thread.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58624.msg396632#msg396632

Thanks again.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:35 pm »

I tried to post, but it wants me to wait 5 days.  If anyone else is so inclined, please do so.

Post here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465&page=606

Post this:
[from JimH at jriver]

Thanks to jmone, who pointed us here.

Thanks to the devs for great software.

We may have found a minor problem.  Our developer, Yaobing talked about it in this thread.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58624.msg396632#msg396632

Thanks again.

Done! http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1417953&posted=1#post1417953

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »

Here are some technical details from Yaobing:

We look for IAMStreamSelect interface so we can let user pick which
stream to play.  Normally, this interface is exposed by a source filter
or a splitter filter.  Haali Media Splitter does it well.  When we can
not find the interface on the source filter, we go to the next filter,
which often is a splitter filter.  If that still fails, we try looking
for the interface on any filter by enumeration.  FFDShow could be found
in either the second stage or the third stage.  It tells us that it
supports IAMStreamSelect, and returns a pointer to it.  When we call the
interface function IAMStreamSelect::Count(), FFDShow crashes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 10:12:46 pm »

Thanks.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 07:47:16 am »

It may be a good idea.  I am temporarily skipping FFDShow filters when asking for the stream selection interface, until FFDShow handles it correctly.  The good news is that it does not affect MC playback as long as we avoid the crash.  In most cases the stream selection is done through Haali Media Splitter.  Only in cases when Haali media splitter is not involved such capability on FFDShow may be useful.

Well that explains why I have experienced FFDshow [not] getting picked up by MC on some files. Can't we just blacklist the bad version; there are a ton of previous ones that are fine correct?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:52 am »

Well that explains why I have experienced FFDshow getting picked up by MC on some files...

I guess you meant to write "not getting picked up".

MC doesn't disable FFDShow. It disables only the query that is sent to the stream switcher. AFAIK, practically this means that if the source or splitter filter has not provided the interface to switch streams MC will not try to use the interface that is provided by FDDShow.

I have some AVI files that have more than one audio stream. For instance, if the AVI file contains three audio streams the default Windows splitter starts three audio decoders and plays them all simultaneously. The Haali splitter can optionally handle also AVI and provide an interface for switching the streams, but some sources (e.g. the CCCP installer), do not recommend using the Haali splitter for AVI (I don't know exactly why). Until now a good solution has been to enable stream switching in FDDShow.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 09:34:03 am »

Can't we just blacklist the bad version; there are a ton of previous ones that are fine correct?

I'd rather not do this. For other features such as HD audio bitstreaming, a lot of progess has been made in recent builds of ffdshow. I am not about to roll back version of ffdshow when I've just built a brand new HTPC based around ffdshow's more recent capabilities.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 09:43:43 am »

Right, thanks for catching the typo Alex.

You guys know better than I do and I just downmix to 2channel and use "analog output" even though I push out to an external DAC via a Lynx AES sound card. Seems to minimize my issues. I've got sit down and really sort my video setup as I have been devoting a lot of time to finalizing this client build for hifi audio use mainly. When using WASAPI and choosing "same device as audio output" I would get a really weird looping with MKV, but if I choose the same device in MC as opposed to the aformentioned setting it seems to work fine (using Haali (not sure of version)  & CoreAVC (newest).

I tried that Shark codec pack this time. What are you guys using. Should we be doing CCCP but w/o FFDshow so as to use the most recent build w/ manual install. I'll have to read up on which Haali to be using. I do remember seeing we should have the 32bit filters on x64 systems.

thanks!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 10:24:16 am »

Right, thanks for catching the typo Alex.

You guys know better than I do and I just downmix to 2channel and use "analog output" even though I push out to an external DAC via a Lynx AES sound card. Seems to minimize my issues. I've got sit down and really sort my video setup as I have been devoting a lot of time to finalizing this client build for hifi audio use mainly. When using WASAPI and choosing "same device as audio output" I would get a really weird looping with MKV, but if I choose the same device in MC as opposed to the aformentioned setting it seems to work fine (using Haali (not sure of version)  & CoreAVC (newest).

I tried that Shark codec pack this time. What are you guys using. Should we be doing CCCP but w/o FFDshow so as to use the most recent build w/ manual install. I'll have to read up on which Haali to be using. I do remember seeing we should have the 32bit filters on x64 systems.

thanks!

I posted this in the other thread as well, but here goes:

When I have an nVidia GPU:

I use MPC-HC's standalone Matroska Splitter whenever possible. Haali otherwise.
CoreAVC with CUDA support active
ffdshow audio filter for almost every format of audio
ffdshow subtitle filter

For my i3/H57 or an ATi GPU:
I use MPC-HC's standalone Matroska Splitter whenever possible. Haali otherwise.
MPC-HC's standalone Video decoder set for DXVA of h264/VC-1
ffdshow audio filter for almost every format of audio
ffdshow subtitle filter

If you don't have an nVidia GPU, but do have an ATI/AMD/Intel GPU capable of hardware acceleration, you'd be better off also using the MPC-HC standalone video decoder. This gives you free, very efficient DXVA, and I find it to be better than ffdshow. CoreAVC only does CUDA acceleration, but not DXVA (yet), so it's best used with nVidia GPUs, or GPUs that cannot do hardware acceleration.

I assume you don't have an HDMI output capable of carrying HD audio, bitstreamed or otherwise, right?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 10:35:40 am »

... I just downmix to 2channel and use "analog output" even though I push out to an external DAC via a Lynx AES sound card. Seems to minimize my issues. I've got sit down and really sort my video setup as I have been devoting a lot of time to finalizing this client build for hifi audio use mainly. When using WASAPI and choosing "same device as audio output" I would get a really weird looping...

Probably it is just fine to use the DirectShow output mode and the default output connectors that your Lynx driver provides. Assuming you have set the speaker sample rate to 48 kHz in the Windows 7 audio settings no unnecessary low quality audio resampling should happen when you play video files. When you play music files and use WASAPI Exclusive, ASIO or Kernel Streaming the Windows 7 sample rate setting has no effect.

Regarding the filter choice, usually I just install CCCP and after that update the Haali splitter and FFDSHow on top of the versions that are included in CCCP.

I have also AC3Filter installed so that I can tweak the Dolby/DTS settings without affecting the settings that I have set in the FFDShow Audio decoder for the other audio encoding formats.

For H.264/MPEG-4 AVC I use CoreAVC, but I think FFDShow has been catching up lately.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 10:44:53 am »

I have also AC3Filter installed so that I can tweak the Dolby/DTS settings without affecting the settings that I have set in the FFDShow Audio decoder for the other audio encoding formats.

For H.264/MPEG-4 AVC I use CoreAVC, but I think FFDShow has been catching up lately.

I used to use AC3filter for all AC3 and DTS. However, in order to decode (and also bitstream, I think) TrueHD you have to use ffdshow for dolby digital as well. At that point AC3filter was only being used for DTS, and so I decided to quit using it altogether.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 06:11:59 am »

Sorry for the confusions.  We are not bypassing / blacklisting FFDShow filters altogether.  They are still used as needed.  As Alex pointed out, we are only bypassing IAMStreamSelection interface query on it.  They did not support this interface in earlier versions anyway.  Therefore installing MC 15.0.80 should have absolutely no noticeable difference for users (except that it would not crash even if you installed the latest FFDShow-Tryout).
Pages: [1]   Go Up