INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 18.0.106 -- Available Here  (Read 17708 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 18.0.106 -- Available Here
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:51:35 pm »

This is the latest version of MC 18.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

Please read this first.

Download: http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v18/latest/MediaCenter180106.exe

History: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74442.0

18.0.106 (1/3/2012)

1. Changed: Red October does not use the decoding built into madVR (was causing problems with DVD playback).
2. Changed: To use video decoding built into madVR, you can use Custom video mode and add a rule to use a 'Video renderer (with integrated decoding)'.
3. Fixed: Playback of CUE files over Library Server client when conversion was enabled did not work nicely.
4. Changed: The 'Bitdepth simulator' in parametric equalizer exposes optional dithering.
5. NEW: Added the output bitdepth '24-bit (with dithering)' to DSP Studio > Output Format.
6. NEW: Dithering of bitdepth conversion is optional with ASIO in Options > Audio Output mode settings. (dithering has no effect / is bit-perfect until you make signal changes like volume or other DSP).
7. Changed: Ratings field is now imported from (and written to) XMP tags in JPEG files.

18.0.105 (1/2/2012)

1. Changed: Tuned the DSD-to-PCM low-pass to more aggressively remove high frequency DSD noise since remaining noise can cause plainly audible distortion with some DACs.
2. Fixed: Conversion from 24-bit ALAC audio created 16-bit files.
3. Fixed: Doing a hold-down of the previous / next buttons could cause problems if the mouse moved away from the button before mouse up.
4. Changed: While a button is held down with the left button, the mouse is captured to only that button (previously the button would release if the mouse left).
5. Fixed: The 'Open File' dialog was not working properly with filenames that contained semi-colons.
6. Fixed: Car Radio would act like a button had been held down, even if it had only been clicked.
7. Changed: Made the 'Car Radio' feature optional in Options > General > Features.
8. Changed: When going into a Theater View library item that only contains a single file, the file will be 'zoomed' automatically.

18.0.104 (12/31/2012)

1. Fixed: WAV files created by other programs (like WMP and others) containing tags in the RIFF header could be imported with garbled tag values.
2. Fixed: Holding down the previous and next player buttons was not doing a fast forward / rewind.
3. Changed: Updated Chinese Language file (thanks kelijun).
4. Fixed: YouTube downloads were not working for some videos.
5. Changed: When changing the volume quickly with Loudness enabled, the sound is smoother (previously there could be a subtle ticking sound).
6. Fixed: When rip/encode simultaneous was enabled in advanced rip options, MC would not always allow multiple audio CD's to be ripped concurrently.
7. Fixed: Secure rip log files were not being written with the correct Windows style end of line characters (\r\n).
8. Fixed: wmv encoding. Broken by changes in 18.0.95
9. Fixed: The 'Add New Field' button would unnecessarily disable on the field management dialog when no field was selected.
10. Fixed: When using large fonts, the text in the player area could be the wrong size when using a skin that doesn't support playerbar resizing.
11. Fixed: The IE web browser engine could crash when starting.
12. Changed: When using MCC_PLAY_TV (30002), an error message is shown when the channel specified is not found (previously it would fail silently).
13. Changed: Renamed the new WASAPI - Event Style option from "Maximize hardware volume during playback" to "Maximize device volume during playback" to better match Windows naming.
14. Changed: Removed the 'Mute on start' WASAPI - Event Style option (it was added to see if it helped with DSD/PCM transitions, and it did not).
15. Changed: The WASAPI - Event Style option "Maximize device volume during playback" also clears / restores the mute state if the device is muted.
16. Fixed: Deleting a zone could leave stale 'Send To' menu items in the MRU list.
17. Fixed: When switching to Theater View with a toolbar button, the tooltip could remain visible.
18. Fixed: The math parser did not nicely handle when a function was used with less parameters than it required (applies to Math(...) in expression engine, etc.)

18.0.103 (12/21/2012)

1. Changed: Updated German language file (thanks Bytestar).

Internal build not released to the public.

18.0.101 (12/21/2012)

1. Changed: M3U and ASX playlist export could use JRiver-specific XML filenames in some cases.
2. NEW: Added the WASAPI - Event Style option 'Maximize hardware volume during playback'.
3. Fixed: Thumbnail creation for videos was not working in builds 98-100.
4. Fixed: Taskbar button images were not appearing with builds 98-100.
5. Fixed: Additional bug associated with translated television tuner type text string.
6. Changed: Updated Russian translation file (thanks, Vladimir).
7. Change: Updated Chinese Language file.  (Thanks, kelijun).
8. Changed: Updated all translation files to include the latest strings from the source code.
9. Fixed: Ripping multiple audio discs could create a duplicate rip progress action window.
10. Fixed: In certain cases the user would have to click on "Insert a disc and click here" in the rip action window even though an audio disc was already present in the drive.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

psam

• World Citizen
Re: Media Center 18.0.106 -- Available Here
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »

3. Fixed: Playback of CUE files over Library Server client when conversion was enabled did not work nicely.

Thank you!!!!
Works just fine now!

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:04:00 pm »

Hello,

I would like to report that applying DSP during conversion while copying files to an handheld doesn't work as expected,
because when choosing ALAC 16bits/48Khz as output, my 24bits/96Khz FLACs are converted to ALAC format as expected,
but they are still 24bits/96Khz, which makes them unusable on my iPod classic.
This issue is long standing (it was reported by someone in a MC17 forum), are there any chances to see it fixed in the near/mid term future?

Best regards,
Fabrizio

gappie

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »

8. Changed: When going into a Theater View library item that only contains a single file, the file will be 'zoomed' automatically.
i love this more then i expected. gives a better flow, i guess you call it.

thanks
 :)
gab

mcduman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 03:15:57 am »

can you explain the following:

6. NEW: Dithering of bitdepth conversion is optional with ASIO in Options > Audio Output mode settings.

Jong

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 05:24:04 am »

Matt, could you possibly have a think about what could be causing the behaviour I see here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76904.0

I realise others are not, in fact another PC I use for testing is also unaffected, but it is totally consistent on my HTPC. It must be some setting that is causing it but short of resetting a complex config to defaults I have no idea how to track it down.

madVR Full screen mode works perfectly once MC has been in standard view (either started in standard view or switched to it then back to Theaterview) so standard view must fix this settings problem in some way  ?

I have tried asking in Madshi's MadVR thread, but it is no surprise that there were not a lot of takers for a problem so specific to MC. I feel it must be something in the way Red October sets up MadVR, rather than an issue with MadVR itself.

Thanks.

maciekb

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:58 am »

18.0.105 (1/2/2012)

2. Fixed: Conversion from 24-bit ALAC audio created 16-bit files.

Converting 24bit ALAC to FLAC works perfectly now. But there is one thing. After conversion, there is "ALAC" string in "Compression" column, not "FLAC", but "File Type" is "FLAC".

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:51:34 am »

After conversion, there is "ALAC" string in "Compression" column, not "FLAC", but "File Type" is "FLAC".

I am not seeing this.  All my flac files show blank in Compression.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

helpme

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:15:31 pm »

MC is crashing for me after doing a ringtone conversion.

I select a file. Choose Ringtone from the Advanced Tools Menu.

I change the location of the file and filename and create a ringtone.

When I then go to play another track in MC it crashes every time.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 08:58:58 pm »

Is much of a performance hit expected when using the new audio dithering feature?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:10:45 pm »

Is much of a performance hit expected when using the new audio dithering feature?

No.  A dither is only a few CPU operations per audio sample, which amounts to a tiny fraction of a percent of CPU usage on a modern computer.

helpme

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:19:31 pm »

MC is crashing for me after doing a ringtone conversion.

I select a file. Choose Ringtone from the Advanced Tools Menu.

I change the location of the file and filename and create a ringtone.

When I then go to play another track in MC it crashes every time.
Just to update this and say it only happens if I change the output directory.

However if I do change the output directory MC crashes every time

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 06:07:13 am »

Thanks Matt. However do I need to enable this, as it's not working 'out of the box' for me - I still have the additional layer for single item films/TV series etc.

By file, do you mean that literally. My rips are VIDEO_TS/BDMV folders so will always contain more than 1 file, even if it's a single film. Exactly as in Justin's screenshots in my thread.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 11:49:26 am »

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 12:23:21 am »

Re: Media Center 18.0.104 -- Available Here « Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 04:02:09 pm »
Quote from: sirshambling on January 01, 2013, 05:46:47 am
Won't install - I get an error message..."Install Wizard could not copy the necessary files..."
1. I had the same problem.  As mentioned by others, it worked after rebooting.  Presumably that was because JRiver was running a service after I closed it.  That actually makes me angry since I explicitly disabled starting JRiver on boot and every TSR feature that I saw.  How do I prevent Media Center from going rogue TSR on me when I close it?

This happened again when Media Center auto-updated from 18.0.103 to 18.0.106.  This time, instead of rebooting, I closed Media Center and looked into what was using the dll.  Both of the services were stopped, but there were 5 processes related to Media Center.  The update installed without complaints after I killed those processes.  Media Center had crashed repeatedly since my last reboot several days prior, and I suspect that those processes were left over from prior sessions.

Four of the processes shared the same name, and one was an abbreviation of that name followed by "Worker".  I thought the names were JRiver* and JRWorker*, but I'm doubting myself.  However, I am certain that the names were in that format.  To be specific for those who understand regex: /(\w)\w*(\w)\w+/i and /\1\2Worker\w*/i.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 12:47:46 am »

I am testing a PeachTree Audio iDac over USB using the built-in Windows 7 drivers (per the iDac manual).  I set Media Center to use "WASAPI".  That worked great for my music, but JRiver claims that my YouTube downloads are 44.1kHz at 32bit and the PeachTree doesn't support more than 24bit samples over USB.

Media Center asks if it can set the output to 44.1/24, which I allow.  However, the audio echos and is full of pops or clicks at 16 and 24 bit with and without dithering.  This is an imprecise description, if you need a better understanding I will record the output and post it here.  I can play the files if I use WASAPI - Event Style or Direct Sound with 24bit output.  I first tried WASAPI with my YouTube downloads in 18.0.104 and it continues to happen in .106.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 02:49:34 am »

I am testing a PeachTree Audio iDac over USB...I can play the files if I use WASAPI - Event Style or Direct Sound with 24bit output...

Apparently this is documented in the Wiki as the proper configuration, if you know where to look.

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:13 am »

Thank you chaps, thank you so much for allowing me to turn off the 'Car Radio' feature.

Now if you could just fix the information window at the top so that it scrolls to reveal cut off info (like it did in 17) without breaking anything, you will never hear from me again.  ;D

Come on, that's got to be worth it hasn't it?  ::)

Happy new year to you all,
Peter

amz

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 07:55:01 am »

Hi & happy new year!

I discovered some functions which didn't work properly (e.g. the JRiver App couldn't connect...) but were fixed too fast before I could even report them...
One thing remained and I don't really have an explanation (tags maybe?): some of the album covers are mixed up in all views (Album, Artist etc.) but appear ok if the Album/Artist is selected/played (see screenshot - Mr. Lucky)

Any idea?

Cheers

liebls

• Recent member
  • Simon
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 02:36:48 pm »

I upgraded from MC15 to MC18.0.100 and had this problem. Now on 18.0.106 and still have it.

Seems very basic but on XP SP2 and Dell GX620 with on board VGA I can't display images full screen at all. Just get a black screen. Consistent on client and server (similar specs).

Thumbnails fine, photo editor is fine, just full screen is the problem.

I've tried the "General" option for budget hardware acceleration but this makes no difference.

Was fine on MC15. Have tried searching the forum but can't find similar post.

Any ideas?

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 05:22:09 am »

Not sure if this is a bug or intended behaviour (or if I did something else stupid)...

I was replacing some video files with a better version.  I imported and used the get movie information to update names etc and then used the rename/copy tool to rename the directory and files.  The get movie info accidently got the wrong name, I wasn't paying attention and when I did the rename it copied over an existing file that I wanted.  There was no prompt and the overwritten file is not to be found in the recycle bin or anywhere.

The overwritten file was 10Gb, so maybe it didn't want to get recycled?  There should be something warning me first??  Kind of dangerous??

Thanks
Craig

spnr23

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 06:54:56 pm »

i had MC17 and purchased upgrade to MC18, Aug.11/12.  went thru procedure to upgrade and thought i had MC18.  i checked my registration info, and have MC17.0.189

i have just tried temporary install key, with no change.

what am i missing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 06:57:10 pm »

Download and install MC18.  It's on the Downloads Page.

Alex Peychev

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 08:48:51 am »

18.0.105 (1/2/2012)

1. Changed: Tuned the DSD-to-PCM low-pass to more aggressively remove high frequency DSD noise since remaining noise can cause plainly audible distortion with some DACs.

I personally did not have any issues with the earlier version and I also feel that it was sounding better - more air and realism, while the new one is somewhat constricted, IMHO. Is there a way to choose between different DSM configurations so the earlier one is also available?

Thanks much!

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:53 pm »

I personally did not have any issues with the earlier version and I also feel that it was sounding better - more air and realism, while the new one is somewhat constricted, IMHO. Is there a way to choose between different DSM configurations so the earlier one is also available?

Thanks much!

I'd like to second that request.  I haven't compared the two versions, but I know that the plugin for f____ recently added the ability to use different amounts of filtering depending on your situation:

Hello, what's the difference of new decoding modes (Installable FIR FP and
    double precision) against existing modes, and does Installable FIR provide
    higher quality of conversion to PCM? Moreover, how to choose the right filter
    file?

30kHz_641.txt
    40kHz_641.txt
    50kHz_641.txt
    60kHz_641.txt

what's the difference among them?

2012-09-06

It was requested to have variety of cutoff frequencies for DSD to PCM filters.
    Filter processing is absolutely like "direct mode 30kHz" converter. With
    output frequency 88200 Hz it is reasonable to use 30 or 40 kHz installable
    FIR.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 05:10:07 pm »

Car Radio, when I hold open two windows ...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 12:34:16 pm »

Thanks much!

Next build:
NEW: The low-pass fiter used for DSD-to-PCM conversion can be configured in Options > Audio > Advanced > Configure input plug-in... > DSD Plugin...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 01:30:23 pm »

Seems very basic but on XP SP2 and Dell GX620 with on board VGA I can't display images full screen at all. Just get a black screen. Consistent on client and server (similar specs).

You might try updating video drivers.

Image playback requires windowed 3d mode support using DirectX.  Most hardware from the last 10 years should support this assuming the drivers are up-to-date.

liebls

• Recent member
  • Simon
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:33 pm »

You might try updating video drivers.

Image playback requires windowed 3d mode support using DirectX.  Most hardware from the last 10 years should support this assuming the drivers are up-to-date.

I ran dxdiag which showed all files in order and all 3D tests passed and I could see the rotating cube.

Installed the latest driver from the Dell site (it was slightly updated) and retested but still dxdiag OK but Image Display from MC18 just black screen. Driver is dated 2006 so OK it's not shiny new hardware but not that old and OK on MC15.

Not sure whether relevant but spotted this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/ee417025(v=vs.85).aspx

Alex Peychev

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:36 am »

Next build:
NEW: The low-pass fiter used for DSD-to-PCM conversion can be configured in Options > Audio > Advanced > Configure input plug-in... > DSD Plugin...

WOW, Great!

BTW, I am currently using an ASIO driver that was originally written for another player, but it works just fine with MC18, and converts 44.1kHz (only) to DSD on the fly. It has four DSM filter configurations and supports DoP. Sound is great with MC18. Now I really can't wait for your PCM2DSD converter on the fly. :-)

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 02:41:36 pm »

can you explain the following:

6. NEW: Dithering of bitdepth conversion is optional with ASIO in Options > Audio Output mode settings.

Back-story and explanation here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76912.0

Vocalpoint

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:38 am »

Bug Report: Icons missing in MC Explorer.

Weird one here - but seen in every build I have used so far since moving to v18:

The folder icons disappear from MC. Then after a few restarts they may come back - or they may not. Still - other days they are there with no issues.

Cannot seem to figure out when or why this happens.

Cheers!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up