INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center  (Read 260567 times)

wheel54

• Recent member
Re: JRemote - iOS remote control for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #750 on: March 22, 2014, 02:23:17 pm »

But if there's bad signal or you don't want to leave your PC running 24/7 (or eat away your phone's monthly data cap usage), an option to pre-load over wifi would be better.  I guess it sounds like a niche feature, but it's a common thing in video apps on iOS... you can stream the video and watch it instantly from a network, or you can load the videos in to the phone from the network and play them locally any time you want.  Best of both worlds that way.  Obviously streaming video is a lot more data limited when on a phone over LTE, but I think even audio would make a dent on your cap if you streamed ~100 hours a month to your phone or more. 

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #751 on: March 22, 2014, 04:26:52 pm »

Not if you have an unlimited plan.  NEVER giving that up.

Seriously though.  There might be a better (faster and already established) way to sync a playlist to your iPhone
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

sunfire7

« Reply #752 on: March 23, 2014, 02:01:49 am »

The sync feature (similar to rdio or spotify sync) would be great, not everyone have unlimited data plan :/.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

csimon

« Reply #753 on: March 23, 2014, 07:40:23 am »

And not everyone has broadband that is good enough for streaming.  That's why I'm still looking for that perfect Android or iOS media player that is as good as MC for organising and cataloging music, for use when I'mnot at home. Bubbleupnp is probably getting there. Gizmo and JRemote would be perfect for local players because they might be able too hook into MC directly for synching views already set up there as well as playlists and media.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #754 on: March 23, 2014, 07:56:33 am »

And not everyone has broadband that is good enough for streaming.  That's why I'm still looking for that perfect Android or iOS media player that is as good as MC for organising and cataloging music, for use when I'mnot at home. Bubbleupnp is probably getting there. Gizmo and JRemote would be perfect for local players because they might be able too hook into MC directly for synching views already set up there as well as playlists and media.
This discussion should be in a new thread, but Gizmo has a cache that was added a few months ago.  If you start it while you're on your home network, it will quickly download a number of tracks that can be played when you're away or disconnected.

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #755 on: March 23, 2014, 09:20:38 pm »

Aside from the playback controls, are there plans to add library file management/organizational features in the future ?

Bernhard

• Recent member
« Reply #756 on: March 24, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »

New features are always a nice to have.
But I am very happy with the funtionality and usability of the app - as it is at the moment. So please be careful, some of us don't want to lose functionality of anything that is working very perfect! :-)

Just my 2 cents ... now you can add features as much as you want ;)

What I would like: In the contextmenu of an album or a track, a new option like: show cover in full size. While searching for a new album, during playback, it would be a huge benefit :)

sunfire7

« Reply #757 on: March 24, 2014, 08:18:48 pm »

And not everyone has broadband that is good enough for streaming.
Yeah, the speed of my internet at home is 20mbits down but only 2mbits up, is impossible to stream if I have other internet hungry apps running :(. Offline sync is a must have feature!
Mac version early bird

csimon

« Reply #758 on: March 25, 2014, 04:35:32 am »

Yeah, the speed of my internet at home is 20mbits down but only 2mbits up, is impossible to stream if I have other internet hungry apps running :(. Offline sync is a must have feature!

I have 504kbps down, 256kbps up.  Yes, you read the units right!

wheel54

• Recent member
« Reply #759 on: March 25, 2014, 05:20:45 am »

This discussion should be in a new thread, but Gizmo has a cache that was added a few months ago.  If you start it while you're on your home network, it will quickly download a number of tracks that can be played when you're away or disconnected.

That sounds great.  So then this feature I'm looking for actually does exist in the app, indirectly.  I don't think it's completely off-topic, as imo it adds functionality to the app I didn't realize exists... if I understand you right, you're saying the app will store any amount of songs (you set Gizmo to 1GB for example) in it, to be played later? 

The main drawback would be then the stored songs still could not be accessed without connecting to the server remotely right?  Here's a question related directly to JRemote:

Would it be possible to get the app to allow you to played the already cached songs in it without connecting to the server?  That way you wouldn't need to have a server... if for example you just had MediaCenter on a laptop that you don't leave running 24/7, you could have your cache set to like 1500 MBs, and it would sync quite a bit of music to the app?

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #760 on: March 25, 2014, 05:03:11 pm »

This is still an issue with latest version:

This option to "switch zone on device when server zone changes" does not make a change set either way. 

So, JRemote does not keep up with automated zone changes done by Zone Switch in MC

csimon

« Reply #761 on: March 25, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »

This is still an issue with latest version:

This option to "switch zone on device when server zone changes" does not make a change set either way. 

So, JRemote does not keep up with automated zone changes done by Zone Switch in MC

That option isn't available yet.  The option is "Switch zone on server as well as device".

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #762 on: March 26, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »

Aside from the playback controls, are there plans to add library file management/organizational features in the future ?

Les Paul ( favorite quitarist) ..... Just bringing attention to above question... Thanks

bluemark81

• Recent member
« Reply #763 on: March 26, 2014, 06:23:42 pm »

My apologies if this has already been covered. I did a cursory look and did not find anything on this topic. I'm a newbie to JRiver and JRemote. I just added a Hi Rez category to my audio library in my Mac mini, but I've noticed this does not automatically get "pushed" through to my iPads JRemote app. Is there a setting somewhere to make this occur or is this beyond JRiver/JRemote capability?

csimon

« Reply #764 on: March 26, 2014, 06:36:12 pm »

My apologies if this has already been covered. I did a cursory look and did not find anything on this topic. I'm a newbie to JRiver and JRemote. I just added a Hi Rez category to my audio library in my Mac mini, but I've noticed this does not automatically get "pushed" through to my iPads JRemote app. Is there a setting somewhere to make this occur or is this beyond JRiver/JRemote capability?

JRemote uses a different set of views from the desktop application ("Standard View"), it uses the same views as Gizmo and WebGizmo. So you need to go to Tools/Options/Media Network/Advanced/Configure Views for Gizmo and add your category there.  Tip: you can choose the option to Add Item from Standard View if it's lready set up in Standard View.

For reference, MC has 4 different and independent view schemes which have to be set up separately.

1. Standard View
2. Theater View
3. DLNA
4. Web Service applications, e.g. Gizmo, Web Gizmo, JRemote.

If you've already added your new category to Gizmo views and it still doesn't appear in JRemote, you may need to restart MC on the Mac and JRemote on your iOS device.

bluemark81

• Recent member
« Reply #765 on: March 26, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »

I've tried to do what you've suggested which I thought was easy enough to follow, but I must be doing something wrong as it still is not showing on my ipad.  See the following screen capture:  

bluemark81

• Recent member
« Reply #766 on: March 26, 2014, 07:23:53 pm »

I've tried to do what you've suggested which I thought was easy enough to follow, but I must be doing something wrong as it still is not showing on my ipad.  See the following screen capture:  

Nevermind, I tried quitting MC and app again and it appeared the second time round.  Thanks so much....very cool!

bluemark81

• Recent member
« Reply #767 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:28 pm »

JRemote uses a different set of views from the desktop application ("Standard View"), it uses the same views as Gizmo and WebGizmo. So you need to go to Tools/Options/Media Network/Advanced/Configure Views for Gizmo and add your category there.  Tip: you can choose the option to Add Item from Standard View if it's lready set up in Standard View.

For reference, MC has 4 different and independent view schemes which have to be set up separately.

1. Standard View
2. Theater View
3. DLNA
4. Web Service applications, e.g. Gizmo, Web Gizmo, JRemote.

If you've already added your new category to Gizmo views and it still doesn't appear in JRemote, you may need to restart MC on the Mac and JRemote on your iOS device.

The image below shows the view schemes on mine.  Is there somewhere I can add the views you are referring to?

csimon

« Reply #768 on: March 27, 2014, 04:33:10 am »

The image below shows the view schemes on mine.  Is there somewhere I can add the views you are referring to?

Confusion of terminology!

The views you are seeing in the menu above refer to the UI, i.e.

1. Standard View - the classic media player desktop interface
2. Mini View - a small transport-control interface
3. Display View - full-screen video and images
4. Cover View - large cover art display

Additionally, there is Theater View which is the 10' TV interface, but maybe this is not available yet on the Mac version.

"View" can also mean the browsing hierarchy of menu items, your view into the library.  You can therefore customise the views you see in Standard View - but the word "view" in that sentence means two different things!

Numbers 2, 3 and 4 above don't have a library browser, you only browse your library in Standard View, Theater View, on a DLNA device, or on a mobile device - so those four areas have their own sets of customisable library views, which was the list I gave initially.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #769 on: March 27, 2014, 04:50:21 am »

Could you make the Zones list sort alphabetically? I have a lot of zones now, basically for different sets of audio settings not just different audio devices, and I've named them in a structured fashion to enable identification. MC sorts them alphabetically in the Playing Now list but JRemote sorts them in a random order. It would make it much easier if they were alphabetic.
I don't mind the current zone being anchored at the top and This Device being at the bottom if that's the convention you want to adopt.

The current implementation of the zones list is done like that to make the zone-linking behavior more intuitive.
So, the current zone must be at the top and the linked zones will then be listed underneath.
No problem sorting the list though, I`ll add that now.

I typically use playlists and use the JRemote app.  In playlist mode, I like to click on the album art on the right hand side so that the Ipad displays full page album art.  However, when the next track starts to play, the album art does not change (unless of course I manually go back to playlist mode of JRemote and tap the current track's album art).  Is there any way that JRemote can be left on the full album art display and have the album art display change when the track changes?

Yes, that would be easy to add, but I would need to give that as a setting.
Its the same issue as with metadata. Some people would get upset if they are looking at the metadata when suddenly it changes because
the next track has started.

What I would like: In the contextmenu of an album or a track, a new option like: show cover in full size. While searching for a new album, during playback, it would be a huge benefit :)

Good idea. I had thought about making the thumbnail a link to the full size image, but that would only work
with the thumbnail view. A better location would be the context menu.

Regarding off-line playback. Yes, that will be done at one time.
I think it would be a good idea to develop this progressively. The first version will probably be pretty basic.
Ability to download an album or list of files and present them in an artist/album format.

I still don`t feel that the local playback engine is a 100%. Lots of crashes and strange behaviour.
So that will need some more work first to make it solid.

Also, the new ios7 version. I am finally strarting to put the final polish on it. It will most likely be released
nest week, or the week after that.

The current version is really starting to look old, so I look forward to give you a more modern look.
I also look forward to start working on new features, instead of revamping old ones.

There are a couple if new features though in the new version though.
One is that you now get a detailed connection summary when a connection fails. This will help you track down the problem, and will also make it easier for me to
help you.

A lot of small fixes are also included. Better list display of audio, video, images and what view is selected as default.
Multi-disc albums are now grouped by disc nr.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #770 on: March 27, 2014, 06:05:19 am »

Confusion of terminology!

Because it is confusing, and we don't really have great documentation on it.  At one time, long in the past, the Views that show media were called "View Schemes" (which wasn't a great name, but was at least distinct from the others).

I wrote this up just recently, trying to fix that:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Modes

I'm thinking the name that makes the most sense for the other "Views" is Media Views.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

csimon

« Reply #771 on: March 27, 2014, 06:37:28 am »

There are a couple if new features though in the new version though....Better list display of audio, video, images and what view is selected as default.

Does this mean that the bug that is affecting the Images and Video views (reverting to list view when it should remain as thumbnail) is not getting fixed in the current version?

sunfire7

« Reply #772 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15:45 am »

LesPaul, can you tell me which port does jremote uses for wol? I'm trying to achieve that JRemote wols my PC over wan also
Mac version early bird

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #773 on: March 28, 2014, 07:32:51 am »

LesPaul, can you tell me which port does jremote uses for wol? I'm trying to achieve that JRemote wols my PC over wan also
The wiki has a topic on Wake on LAN.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #774 on: March 28, 2014, 10:02:29 am »

It uses port 9

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #775 on: March 28, 2014, 03:58:06 pm »

Lespaul
Any plans for JRemote on Windows Phone?

gypsykirk

• Recent member
« Reply #776 on: March 29, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »

Is there a way to use JRemote to "Run Auto Import"?  That would be a real boon to me in a few circumstances.

Best,
John

Can I echo this question please? The ability to run auto import from the J remote app would be a huge benefit !

sunfire7

« Reply #777 on: March 31, 2014, 02:45:53 am »

It uses port 9
I have port 9 of my external address forwarded to my server's private IP address.  I can WOL over WAN via apps and tools.  But JRemote doesn't work (WOL only works on LAN). Can you add WOL when connecting to a global address? This would allow me to set my server to sleep and wake up if I start JRemote app.
Mac version early bird

deanorth

• Recent member
« Reply #778 on: March 31, 2014, 01:53:33 pm »

JRemote perform really nice on my setup, and WoL working is REALLY a plus.
so far nothing to complain about, this is great.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #779 on: March 31, 2014, 02:40:44 pm »

I have port 9 of my external address forwarded to my server's private IP address.  I can WOL over WAN via apps and tools.  But JRemote doesn't work (WOL only works on LAN). Can you add WOL when connecting to a global address? This would allow me to set my server to sleep and wake up if I start JRemote app.
Can I Echo this too.

Thanks

SBR

pcstockton

« Reply #780 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:38 pm »

Hi LesPaul!  I hope all is well.

Firstly, thanks again for the best addition to my musical world.

One tiny little request for change.

Can you omit (or change) the icon in Zones for "This Device".  The blue arrow is very confusing at it seems to entail that it is the current Zone.  I have had 3-4 people, that are also customers of yours, call and ask me why "This Device" is selected when they are choosing a different Zone.

Cheers!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #781 on: April 01, 2014, 03:42:38 am »

Also, the new ios7 version. I am finally strarting to put the final polish on it. It will most likely be released

The current version is really starting to look old, so I look forward to give you a more modern look.
I also look forward to start working on new features, instead of revamping old ones.

There are a couple if new features though in the new version though.
One is that you now get a detailed connection summary when a connection fails. This will help you track down the problem, and will also make it easier for me to
help you.

A lot of small fixes are also included. Better list display of audio, video, images and what view is selected as default.
Multi-disc albums are now grouped by disc nr.

Oh dear, was hoping to get full hi Rez playback in before you moved to ios7...I haven't been bombarding this thread as you'd said previously it was an easy add...  :(

Crom

• Recent member
« Reply #782 on: April 03, 2014, 10:42:01 am »

A minor bug report: If I have lyrics stored in a file and use the view button and then the lyrics tab to view them and then I use the view button to move to a different track, the lyrics tab remains highlighted but the data that is displayed is from the default tab. One cannot click on the lyrics tab at this point either and to view the lyrics and click of the metadata button and then the lyrics tab needs to happen.

As an aside, from a user experience point of view I would expect the tab to remain fixed when moving between tracks. So, if you have the lyrics tab to the foreground for one track and then you use the view button to move to another track, the lyrics tab should remain in the fore along with the lyrics display.

Hope that makes sense and thank you for a fantastic feature...just brilliant when the wife's out, although the cat looks scared sometimes!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #783 on: April 03, 2014, 12:37:46 pm »

tyler69

« Reply #784 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:27 pm »

Sorry if this has been maybe covered somewhere already, but: is there a way to stream MKV files to JRemote?

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #785 on: April 13, 2014, 11:55:19 pm »

I use JRemote to control Media Center 19 going to my receiver/TV via DLNA.  When I connect my receiver via DLNA to MC 19 without using JRemote, I can see the album art on my TV.  However, when I use JRemote, I can't see the album art on my TV, I can only see the album art on my iphone/iPad.  Is there a setting that I can change that will allow me to see the album art on my TV when using JRemote?

pcstockton

« Reply #786 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:01 am »

Sorry if this has been maybe covered somewhere already, but: is there a way to stream MKV files to JRemote?
not yet

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #787 on: April 17, 2014, 03:25:19 am »

I can confirm that this is an issue with JRemote. It should only display images locally when current zone is "This device".
A fix will be included in an upcoming version.

Is this broken again?

Ross

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #788 on: April 21, 2014, 11:13:16 am »

I keep getting a "Connection Failure" with my JRemote on my iPhone 4S.  I had it working for awhile and then it just quit.  How do I fix it?  How do I find out what IP address I need to enter?

SpaceLaser

• Recent member
« Reply #789 on: April 21, 2014, 03:08:18 pm »

not yet

Are there plans to do on the fly transcoding for videos to JRemote in the future? I remember that being a very handy function in Gizmo, but I love the UI for JRemote so much more.

faster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #790 on: April 27, 2014, 09:38:26 am »

Hi Lespaul,

The latest JRemote Version 2.43 is a long time ago (30.10.13) and ios8 will comming soon. Wating for some killerfeatures like full playlistediting. have you got a new roadmap for all the fetatures the users waiting for?

Thanks Erwin

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #791 on: April 29, 2014, 03:27:35 am »

The new version was submitted to the app store last night.
Sorry about the delay, but there is always something to fix.

Don`t expect any new killer features in this release. I guess the biggest new feature is the detailed server connection summary. Boring I know, but should be useful when you experience connection issues.

There are some smaller changes. For example, the bottom playlist have been moved to the right side. You now swipe in from the right side to reveal the playlist. Also, there are dedicated WOL buttons next to each saved server.

Now, when this is finally out the door you can expect more rapid releases.

The first version after this will include adding tracks to any playlist. I guess this is the most requested feature at this time.
Other things planned is a revamp of the theater remote. It may not be used by many, but it has not been touched for a long time.
Getting video transcoding to work is also high on my list for the next version. I also want to include the whole search wizard options, but that will be in a later release.

And finally, since a lot of code and design have changed in this release I expect there to be issues, complaints etc. I may start a new thread when the
version is live in the app store.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #792 on: April 29, 2014, 03:29:55 am »

Can I echo this question please? The ability to run auto import from the J remote app would be a huge benefit !

It is included in the new version as a new button under settings.

csimon

« Reply #793 on: April 29, 2014, 03:36:34 am »

Can you confirm what's happening with the current version? Is it compeletely dead now and the bugs reported previously will not be fixed?

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #794 on: April 29, 2014, 04:09:06 am »

I am not sure at this moment what to do with the iOS6 version.
It is currently not possible to upload versions that is not compiled for iOS7, and it`s not possible to update an older version.

A possibility would be to release a new app called JRemote for iOS6. The problem of course, is that I would have to charge something for it, although less than the main version.

csimon

« Reply #795 on: April 29, 2014, 04:21:01 am »

But you've already uploaded a new version compiled for iOS7, therefore that's "overwritten" the current version and it can't be updated any more?

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #796 on: April 29, 2014, 05:47:01 am »

The app store now works like this:

If you download an app where your iOS version is not supported, you may choose to download the last version that supported your OS.
This is an improvement in my opinion, but if they do not allow updating these older versions.

In order for an app to be compiled for iOS7 you need to make a lot of changes, as I have now done for the new version.

Actually, I could possibly work on the current version to make it compatible with iOS6, but not iOS5. It will be quite a bit of work though.

csimon

« Reply #797 on: April 29, 2014, 05:59:43 am »

It is currently not possible to upload versions that is not compiled for iOS7, and it`s not possible to update an older version.

Has this restriction been put in very recently? BBC iPlayer is still compatible with iOS5.1 and that was last updated on 2nd April. Temple Run 2 was last updated on 15th April and is compatible with iOS4.3. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to fix the bugs outstanding for years in JRemote and requested many times as a matter of urgency rather than ploughing ahead with an iOS7 version?

csimon

« Reply #798 on: April 29, 2014, 07:02:25 am »

In order for an app to be compiled for iOS7 you need to make a lot of changes, as I have now done for the new version.

Have you seen this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19211056/can-i-build-an-app-that-runs-on-ios-5-1-and-ios-7-in-the-respective-native-look

I'm not an iOS developer at all but this sounds like you can compile an app with the latest SDK (Xcode5) and set the target iOS as 5.1, and you get native look-and-feel on all iOSs. Since February, Apple is forcing apps to be developed with XCode5. It sounds like it's a deliberate choice you've made to target iOS 7 and use iOS 7-specific features, not one that Apple is forcing on you.

faster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #799 on: April 29, 2014, 10:13:21 am »

Hello Lespaul,

The first version after this will include adding tracks to any playlist. I guess this is the most requested feature at this time.

very good news!

I can well imagine that it was a lot of work. Are you the only developer and simultaneously the head of JRemote?

I wish you good luck with the rollout of JRemote IOS7!

Thanks Erwin
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up