INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: problems playing standard DVD's  (Read 26158 times)

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: problems playing standard DVD's
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 09:01:14 am »

You should not lose any settings, and if you already have any version of MC19, any other updates of MC19 are free.
If you don't have MC19 yet, you can try it for free for 30 days to see if it really improves the quality and might be worth the upgrade!

And yes, the version you linked is the one to get!
OK.  So the price is about $50 right?  And there is a section within JRiver that says "buy"  That's where I go and I assume just follow the instructions.  I don't have MC19 yet.  When I get the time, I will check it out.  I did make the conscious choice though that I only want to put BR on my server for the best quality.  Plus subtitles are much easier to do with BR.  But I may upgrade.  I will download and see what it does for my DVD rips. 
Thanks again.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:28 am »

Since you already own MC18, you can buy an upgrade, which is only $26.98.

Here you can find information about the upgrade process, including a link to the purchase page for the upgrade:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC19
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 09:43:56 am »

Since you already own MC18, you can buy an upgrade, which is only $26.98.

Here you can find information about the upgrade process, including a link to the purchase page for the upgrade:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC19
Thanks for the link.  I will check that out when I have time to do so.  Glad it's a little cheaper also  :).

stewart_pk

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 08:37:46 pm »

I've just about given up trying to play DVD's smoothly and properly through JRiver; yes I'm using the latest version.

pcstockton

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2014, 01:15:37 am »

I've just about given up trying to play DVD's smoothly and properly through JRiver; yes I'm using the latest version.

rip them (Clone DVD.... worth every penny), then playback.  problem solved.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 06:44:38 am »

Trust me.  I know the frustration.  It took a lot of changes that are detailed in this thread to get it somewhere close to where I would like it.  It took settings in my Integra preamp, settings in JRiver and then settings in my video card itself.  I haven't watched a regular DVD rip in a while, but I think I am at a point where it is watchable and much better then it was.  I have also just decided to not put on any more regular DVD's though.  I am just going to re buy the ones I REALLY want on the server and the rest of my DVD's I will just watch through my OPPO.  I am can live with that.

stewart_pk

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2014, 09:34:23 pm »

Lately I've just been launching XBMC from JRiver in Theater View.
I reckon I might configure JRiver to use this http://mpc-hc.org as an external player for DVD's and see how that goes.

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2014, 11:23:34 pm »

If you're having difficulty with DVD playback, try this:

• If you have never used Red October HQ before, set Media Center to use it (Tools → Options → Video) and play a video. This should download the required components automatically.
  • Close Media Center and Media Server if it's running.
  • Copy and paste this into the Windows Run prompt (WIN+R) %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\madvr
  • Run the restore default settings.bat file in that folder.
  • Download the zip file which is attached to this post, and place the settings.bin file it contains inside that folder.
  • Run Media Center and go to Tools → Options → Video
  • If it is not already, set video mode to "Red October HQ"
  • Enable both "Hardware accelerate video decoding" and "VideoClock"

Now try playing a video.
Does it play back smoothly, or are you still having problems?

I must say that, I'm having serious dropouts with DVDs, too. Blurays are working without problem. I use a resync of -600 ms for video and it's unusable for DVDs.
If you are using a 600ms correction with DVD playback, you will have to rip them using a tool such as MakeMKV
This is due to the Microsoft DVD Navigator, rather than anything Media Center has control over.

stewart_pk

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 08:10:49 pm »

rip them (Clone DVD.... worth every penny), then playback.  problem solved.

Absolutely not, that's when I last noticed the problem when I played a full disc rip.

stewart_pk

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2014, 10:22:41 pm »

If you're having difficulty with DVD playback, try this:

• If you have never used Red October HQ before, set Media Center to use it (Tools → Options → Video) and play a video. This should download the required components automatically.
  • Close Media Center and Media Server if it's running.
  • Copy and paste this into the Windows Run prompt (WIN+R) %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\madvr
  • Run the restore default settings.bat file in that folder.
  • Download the zip file which is attached to this post, and place the settings.bin file it contains inside that folder.
  • Run Media Center and go to Tools → Options → Video
  • If it is not already, set video mode to "Red October HQ"
  • Enable both "Hardware accelerate video decoding" and "VideoClock"

Now try playing a video.
Does it play back smoothly, or are you still having problems?

Well I don't really know what it did, but this seems to have worked.

Thanks.

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2014, 03:38:21 am »

Well I don't really know what it did, but this seems to have worked.
Thanks.
It basically cleared the current madVR settings and replaced them with a high performance configuration that should run on just about anything.

isu1992

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2014, 06:06:57 am »

I've read just about every one of these posts I can find on choppy video playback.  I have a core i5 3470S chip @ 2.9GHz and 8Gb Memory and any standard dvd that I try to play through JRiver is choppy as all getout.  

I have upgraded drivers...have everything set to application controlled and the hardware accel and video clock on and standard red October checked in settings.  The issue is that it plays just fine in any other application I use except JRiver.  

isu1992

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2014, 06:35:45 am »

Ok so I continue to play with the settings of jriver and finally with Video Mixing Renderer 9 with hardware acel turned off and video clock turned on.  

Both my shuttle HTPC and my intel nuc (which run any other application fine) have issues with jriver now.  I like the interface, but standard dvd playback isn't right.  The only dvds that work fine are the blu rays which make up about 25% of my collection.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2014, 07:55:11 am »

Did you try updating?

19.0.121 (3/8/2014)

6. Fixed: Playback of NTSC DVDs and DVD rips was not smooth on some systems.

isu1992

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2014, 05:05:09 pm »

Thanks!  Yep...I have upgraded...still choppy....any other thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:16 pm »

What version are you running now?

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:01 am »

I have been copying most of my stuff since I lost a hard drive but I too still have just a bit of choppy playback but as I said before, I am OK with it since I only have a few DVD's on my server and all the new stuff I am putting on is BR which looks really good.  For ex, I have The Shinning mini series that I ripped using my DVD's.  I am watching that now and it's not that bad.  I will also try a dvd rip again to see how it is just to refresh my memory.  I am just going to leave it as it is right now.  I am not comfortable upgrading and I really don't want to pay anything extra.  As I said, for me it's at a point where I can live with it.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2014, 11:42:05 am »

So if you read this far you know where I am.  Playing DVD rips with just a bit of chop.  But it was always nagging me so here is what followed..,.
If some of you remember, I was having some issues with regular DVD playback on my server.  But I did a number of tweaks and got it looking fairly good with only some chop left.  Well, if there is one thing about me I am persistent.  A while back I tried the media player VLC.  When I watched a DVD rip through that it looked fantastic but I was only getting stereo soundtrack.  Fast forward to this past weekend.  

Going through the audio options on the Baetis(Windows OS) and the VLC player, I am now able to get the multich to come and play as an audio source when I watch a DVD rip through the VLC player.  It really doesn't sound that bad.  Here is what I did.

I had to setup VLC to Directx audio out in two spots and make sure that VLC is "looking" for the 80.3 which is just a simple menu selection Also, one thing that I had to do was to go into the control panel of windows based Baetis server.  In there is an icon named sound.  If I double click on that another widow pops up and I see my 80.3 listed  If you double click on it and then go to supported formats it gives some info.  It says max number of channels is 8.
HDCP supported
Bit depths 16 bit 20 bit and 24 bit.
Then for sample rates it says 32.0 kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz and 88.2 Khz
Then in another box it has Encoded formats
DTS audio
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital.
Then in the advanced mode it says Select the sample rate and bit depth to be used when running in share mode.  It goes from 16bit 48000hz(DVD Quality All the way to 24bit 192,000Hz(studio quality).
I have it on the dvd quality.

Now also, I just happen to right click on my 80.3 icon and another screen came up.  It allows me to setup my speaker configuration,  When I did that, I saw that it was in stereo mode.  But, there was a 5.1 surround and 7.1 surround option as well.  So, I put it to the 5.1 setting.
After I did all of that, I played a movie and I got the Multich output.  

According to Craig(a friend of mine on AVS forum), "The "Multi-Channel" on your pre/pro display just means that the server is decoding the Dolby Digital or DTS track instead of bitstreaming it to the pre/pro for the pre/pro to decode.  You must have the output in the VLC player set to PCM.  If the decoder in the server is a decent decoder, and assuming it is working properly, the sound should be virtually the same between DD/DTS decoded in the sever or decoded in the pre/pro.  Your pre/pro will still apply Audyssey EQ and all the BM and Distance settings, so that should be the same also."

Now Craig mentioned the fact that VLC player is probably set for PCM audio and the server itself is doing the decoding but I still get the EQ function and bass management.  He said the only "downside" is that I can't see what format is being played.  I guess he means Dolby Digital or DTS.  To be honest, it really doesn't matter because I only have one or the other on my DVD rips so as long as it plays which ever is on the rip, I am fine with it.  

So that's it.  The server is now doing EVERYTHING I wanted it to do.  I tested just a few parts of some DVD rips and it sounds fine and looks great. If anyone knows if there is a bit stream option in VLC, please let me know and I will switch it.  But if this is as good as it gets, I can easily live it for the 40 or so DVD's I have on the server.  I am so glad I decided to just try one more time and play around.

Movie update:
I just wanted to give a full update(review) now that I have watched a movie.  I watched Open Range last night which is a DVD rip.  First the video was very good.  There was no jaggedness at all.  The colors of the landscape in the beginning were really vibrant.  Detail on close up shots of different people were also very clear and detailed.  I was very happy with the video.  On the audio side I was equally happy.  The thunder at the start of the movie was potent and had some power.  All of the gunshots were crisp and had impact(the shotgun as well).  But the dialog as well was crystal clear.  I could make out every word, even low level dialog and mumbles were clearer now. In addition little insects flying around were    convincing. I will probably watch a few more as tests.

This is probably just for when I watch a movie.  If I wanted to give someone a demo. I doubt I would use a dvd rip.  I would want them to get the full experience so I would use a BR rip.  But for stuff that I watch, it's great.  I am really glad I played around a bit more.  Now everything looks and sounds great :).

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2014, 12:02:56 pm »

Mike, is your version of Media Center up to date?
Did you follow my instructions here?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86201.msg606697#msg606697

There is no reason you should have to use an external player like VLC.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2014, 12:44:46 pm »

I am still on MC18 but when I use Red October HQ it looks even worse.  That was with 18.  I guess it's two fold.  I am just not comfortable doing what you wrote and I guess I don't want to pay for MC19.  Maybe my server just can't handle HQ.  I know it can't handle 1080/24.  It looks just awe full when I watch a movie that way.  It may not be ideal, but it works and unless someone can help me actually do it on my machine, I will just stick with I have now.  The DVD watching is only for me and I only have 20-30 DVD movies out of over 200 movies on my server. 

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2014, 01:30:31 pm »

The instructions should work with MC18 as well. Just change "19" to "18" - though there have been some changes that improve video playback in 19.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2014, 01:35:40 pm »

So you are saying in this line
 %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\madvr
change that to Media Center 18? I also made changes in my video card settings.  Do I have to set them all back to the way they were?
I will think about.  Again, I finally got it working good enough for me so I am kind of cautious on doing anything else. 
But thanks  :).

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2014, 01:37:11 pm »

Yes, just change it to Media Center 18
Settings in Media Center won't affect VLC.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2014, 02:05:03 pm »

But back before I used VLC, I think I made all kinds of changes on my video card.  Do I have to go back and undo all those changes.

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2014, 02:16:39 pm »

Try it and see how things are first. ROHQ should bypass most video card settings.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2014, 02:18:02 pm »

OK, when I am feeling brave ;D, I will give it a shot

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:30 am »

Mike, is your version of Media Center up to date?
Did you follow my instructions here?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86201.msg606697#msg606697

There is no reason you should have to use an external player like VLC.
I tried to get that file and what I ended up with was something that was a BIN file called settings.bin.  Is that correct?  Is that what the file is supposed to be after it is unzipped?  I don't want to put anything in my system that may screw it up.  I had a hard time getting that file to down load properly.  It kept on downloading as a VLC file since I have that on my machine.  But I was able to convert it back to that other format.  I just want to make sure that is right before I proceed.
Thanks
P.S, I just need the actual file itself, not the folder it is in right?  The folder is named "settings".

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2014, 09:20:01 am »

It's bizarre that VLC would try to open a zip file.

Step 5: Download the zip file which is attached to this post, and place the settings.bin file it contains inside that folder.

(that folder being %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\madvr )

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2014, 10:02:08 am »

I know, strange right?  But I do have the settings.bin file though.  I just wanted to make absolutely sure it was the right file.  I can't do it at home on the machine itself but I could put the file on a flash drive and do it that way.  It seems to be the simplest way.
Edit, to make things really easy, I just emailed it to myself as an attachment.  Then I can put it on my server easily.
So it seems the two things I have to do is
Run the restore default settings.bat file in the folder %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\madvr
Download the zip file which is attached to this post, and place the settings.bin file it contains inside that folder
That folder being located at
%APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins\madvr
Then follow the rest of the steps
Hopefully I can do that :).

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2014, 06:32:08 am »

I give up.  I tried and tried but I just can't get it work.  Whenever I try to get the file onto my Baetis, it converts it to a VCL file.  I downloaded it directly from the thread where it is posted and I even emailed it to myself and both ways did not work.  It still wants open it as a VCL file.  But I was able to get it to open the right way at work, by choosing what program to open it with, at home I can't get it to work.  I just can't get it to open correctly at home.  At work I was able to change the program that opens the file but at home, for some reason, it does not work.  I may try again but I don't know.  As I said, it's only for DVD's and they look good plus they sound fine using the method I am employing now so I may just leave it be.  I don't have any JRiver jedi masters near me to help me out so that's it.  I wanted to thank everyone for their help on this.  At least I can watch my regular DVD rips now without having any video issues.

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2014, 11:09:08 am »

You should just be able to right-click the zip file and choose Open With → Windows Explorer
You might have to hold down the shift key when you right-click if you are using an older version of Windows.

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2014, 11:19:59 am »

I will give it one more try.  I am using Windows 7.  When I do a right click on my computer now, which is Windows 7, I don't get an "open with" option. 

MikeDuke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

Nope.  I can't do that so I give up.  As I said, it's only a few DVD's.  The look and sound are good enough for me for DVD playback.  I am to tired to try it again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up