INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems using MC TV  (Read 23372 times)

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
Problems using MC TV
« on: November 03, 2015, 01:38:20 pm »

I suppose I need some more research and possibly coaching on the way JRMC21 handles TV. I set up the EPG and my favorite/hidden channels. I renamed them as I wanted, and the guide is thus functional for me. But the TV experience in MC is not merely worse than the excellent WMC TV experience, it's frustratingly worthless. Here are issues I seek to overcome:

1. Every hour on the hour, whatever program I'm watching live just stops. Workaround is to tune a different channel, then tune back to the one I wanted. I can handle this problem, but cannot recommend using MC for TV for anyone else while this problem persists. I want to be able to steer others to MC as their WMC replacement...
2. Recordings don't work. They end up being 1 minute long. Workaround is to record via WMC, then move to organized folders for various series that MC is monitoring. That means, of course, that MC cannot replace WMC until I don't require WMC to overcome such a problem.
3. I want to be able to record a program, and while it's still recording, start playing it back from the beginning and skip commercials to catch up with "real time" at the end. That was easy in WMC, but not (apparently) possible in MC.
4. I want to be able to access recorded TV programs from Theater View. I saw a post here that suggested that can be made possible, so I'll keep searching for that...
5. Recording apparently requires MC to be running (unlike WMC). That's acceptable, of course, but a recording indicator on the Theater View screen (perhaps by the clock) would be a handy option.

MC is far, far superior to WMC in so many ways. However, no one has come anywhere close to the ease-of-use of WMC for DVR functionality. That's what is missing from MC before it becomes THE go-to program for HTPC users that want DVR to be one of their machine's functions.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems using MC TV
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 02:12:46 pm »

I suppose I need some more research and possibly coaching on the way JRMC21 handles TV. I set up the EPG and my favorite/hidden channels. I renamed them as I wanted, and the guide is thus functional for me. But the TV experience in MC is not merely worse than the excellent WMC TV experience, it's frustratingly worthless. Here are issues I seek to overcome:

1. Every hour on the hour, whatever program I'm watching live just stops. Workaround is to tune a different channel, then tune back to the one I wanted. I can handle this problem, but cannot recommend using MC for TV for anyone else while this problem persists. I want to be able to steer others to MC as their WMC replacement...
2. Recordings don't work. They end up being 1 minute long. Workaround is to record via WMC, then move to organized folders for various series that MC is monitoring. That means, of course, that MC cannot replace WMC until I don't require WMC to overcome such a problem.
3. I want to be able to record a program, and while it's still recording, start playing it back from the beginning and skip commercials to catch up with "real time" at the end. That was easy in WMC, but not (apparently) possible in MC.
4. I want to be able to access recorded TV programs from Theater View. I saw a post here that suggested that can be made possible, so I'll keep searching for that...
5. Recording apparently requires MC to be running (unlike WMC). That's acceptable, of course, but a recording indicator on the Theater View screen (perhaps by the clock) would be a handy option.

MC is far, far superior to WMC in so many ways. However, no one has come anywhere close to the ease-of-use of WMC for DVR functionality. That's what is missing from MC before it becomes THE go-to program for HTPC users that want DVR to be one of their machine's functions.

Obviously your problems are not typical for other MC users - so it's not fair to say MC TV is worthless. It's working fine for just about everyone else.

What Country are you in?
What TV Tuner card are you using.
What OS are you on, and what version of MC are you running?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:57:03 pm »

Yeah, just as CountryBumkin said.  Your problems are unique to your situation.  I have not heard anyone reporting anything close to what you are saying here.

Do you think another program is trying to grab your tuners from MC?  Do you have something that loads a tuner every hour on the hour?  Have you disabled WMC?  Did check that maybe WMC is running a service that does such things in the background? 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:10:54 pm »

Could I suggest as a starting point that you create a log of a very short period of time, and post it here. Perhaps turning on logging, clear the log, and then try a manual recording. Wait a minute until the recording fails, or just wait a minute and a half if it doesn't fail, then click the "Report Problem" button in the logging dialogue, and post the zip file created here.

If you are not familiar with logging, this post will help: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52448.0  But don't email the log. Just post it in a reply to this thread.

That will help us a lot to start to understand your issues. Thanks.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 04:22:40 pm »

Things MC can do but does in a different way than WMC:
1. Play live TV. Difference: In MC, live TV stops every hour on the hour. Workaround: Tune a different channel, then tune the one you wanted to watch again.
2. Record TV programs. Difference: In MC, recordings of TV programs last 1 minute, then stop. Workaround: Unknown, other than to record in WMC and then possibly watch in MC.
3. Play recorded TV programs. Difference: In MC, it is apparently not possible to watch a recording-in-progress of a program, skipping commercials to catch up to "real time." In WMC, that is a key benefit of the DVR functionality.
4. Record TV programs on a schedule. Difference: MC needs to be running to record; WMC does not.
5. Show channels in an Electronic Program Guide (EPG). Difference: In MC, channels lack icons and color coding; in WMC, icons and color coding are valuable enhancements to the EPG.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:43:23 pm »

IMA4UK, please answer the questions and follow the suggestions in your thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101149.0

Of the above points, only number 5 is correct. All of the other problems are local issues with your implementation.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rammingspeed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 07:54:11 pm »

If WMC is still running, I suggest disabling it.  Quite possible that you are getting contention for the tuner.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 08:57:07 pm »

CountryBumkin asked:

What Country are you in?
United States

What TV Tuner card are you using?
SD HDHR Prime. Dedicated to MC. Also have a Ceton infiniTV4, dedicated to WMC. The HDHR' is not set up in WMC, and the iTV4 is not set up in MC. No conflicts.

What OS are you on, and what version of MC are you running?
Win7x64
MC21.0.17

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:28 pm »

Do you think another program is trying to grab your tuners from MC?  Do you have something that loads a tuner every hour on the hour?  Have you disabled WMC?  Did check that maybe WMC is running a service that does such things in the background? 
I am sure nothing else is grabbing the HDHR Prime tuners that I have dedicated to MC. This is because I set up my infiniTV4 tuners for WMC (and did not set up the HDHR' tuners for use within WMC), and I set up the HDHR' tuners exclusively* in MC.  (*I suppose HDHR programs technically are "set up" to have access to those tuners, but I don't use the HDHR programs.)

I have not disabled WMC. This may be a Catch-22 scenario, but I don't want to disable WMC while there is no program to replace its DVR functionality.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 09:56:07 pm »

IMA4UK, please answer the questions and follow the suggestions in your thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101149.0

Of the above points, only number 5 is correct. All of the other problems are local issues with your implementation.

Agreed.  I can't recall having those problems on my system.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 10:02:56 pm »

Are you absolutely sure that WMC doesn't run some sort of tuner discovery process, perhaps on the hour, and whenever a tuner is used?

No log file?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 01:02:06 am »

If WMC is still running, I suggest disabling it.  Quite possible that you are getting contention for the tuner.

Doing this is a good idea, just as a test.

Or try MC on another machine.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 02:21:11 pm »

Are you absolutely sure that WMC doesn't run some sort of tuner discovery process, perhaps on the hour, and whenever a tuner is used?

I cannot be absolutely sure of such a thing, but how would one find such a process? Seems likely that if any such process existed, it would be known after all these years of WMC implementation.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 03:24:19 pm »

To find your posts, visit your profile.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 03:44:29 pm »

I cannot be absolutely sure of such a thing, but how would one find such a process? Seems likely that if any such process existed, it would be known after all these years of WMC implementation.

I have not used WMC for a couple of years now - but I recall that when I was first switching to JRiver program I could not get my Hauppauge Tuner Card to work properly. It worked in WMC but it would not in JRiver. I decided to move 100% to JRiver, so I completely removed WMC and after that the card worked fine.

I also has a problem when I first installed my Colossus Capture card. I installed the Hauppauge WinTV software first (mistake) and never could get JRiver program to work with the Colossus. I could not get WinTV to "release it" and I ended up having to reinstall the OS to get it working. Maybe there was a less drastic fix - but since my computer is only for HTPC it was easier this way.

So the point is, these programs and hardware don't always play nicely together. Maybe it was just a Hauppauge thing.
Good Luck

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 06:24:39 pm »

Well you could watch for activity in the Process Explorer, or even in Windows Task Manager or Resource Monitor. But the activity is likely to be very brief and easy to miss, so that may not be a good solution. To be absolutely sure you would need to have some logging software which monitored which software accessed which hardware, in this case the tuners, in your PC, and maybe record details such as when, for how long, what it did and so on. I don't know of any such software available to regular users.

The process of tuner discovery, and its impact on other programs that use installed TV tuners may be well known, but finding the information may be difficult as it is a very specific issue, not encountered by many because they don't run WMC alongside other TV applications. Basically, your assertion that nothing else is grabbing the HDHR Prime tuners because you have dedicated them to MC, and have a Ceton infiniTV4 dedicated to WMC, is a gross assumption that I would never make, as I could never be sure what software is doing in the background unless I investigate thoroughly, or the developers tell me exactly what is happening. I'm sure the WMC developers haven't confirmed that for you, and as WMC automates so much of its setup, I would not expect it to leave an installed TV tuner untouched. There are many, many threads around the internet of people reporting problems with TV tuners. Some of them may have been caused exactly by this issue.

The only way I know to be sure that WMC is not interfering, is to completely disable WMC for a test period, or as Jim suggested, install MC on a separate PC. If you have no separate PC to install your HDHR Prime tuners and MC into, then I recommend that you do disable start-up of WMC with Windows, then edit the WMC services to disable them, then reboot your PC and test MC. The two WMC services you should disable start-up for are;
1. "Windows Media Center Receiver Service" described as "Windows Media Center Service for TV and FM broadcast reception"
2. "Windows Media Center Scheduler Service" described as "Starts and stops recording of TV programs within Windows Media Center"
Change their "Startup Type" to Disabled, not just to Manual.
You must reboot after making these changes, to be sure no part of WMC is still running. Also be sure that no part of the HDHR programs are running.

In fact, you should research those two services, and you will find that your assertion;
is incorrect. WMC also needs to have at least the second of those two service running in order to make a recording. It probably actually requires both.
MC only requires the JRiver Media Server to be running, and not the user interface. If you go into Tools/Options/Startup/Windows Startup/Run on Windows Startup and select either "Media Server" or "Media Center and Media Server", then TV recordings will be made as scheduled.

While I await the results of the above test, I expect that the first two of your assertions;
will disappear. I think these two issues are caused by interference from WMC. Note that your test may not work first time with WMC disabled. You may need to run TV setup again in MC first. If you hit problems, ask for help.

As for you other issues;
This works perfectly in MC. Use JTV recording format for the best experience in Time Shifting TV, rather than the TS format. Tools/Options/Television/Recording/Format. Use the left and right arrows on your remote control to skip forward and backward. Tools/Option/Video/Advanced/Jump behaviour. To start playback of the recording, select the recording in Theatre View, and MC will start playback at the planned beginning of the program, and not at the beginning of the recording, which would include any padding time at the front. This is a very nice feature of MC. If you try to start playback of a recording by selecting a TV channel that is being recorded, MC will start playback at the current time, instead of the program start time. Note also that if you have Time Shifting turned on, and there is enough time built up in the buffer, when you select a currently showing program to record, MC will create that recording from the beginning of the show, even though it is in the past. This is a very neat feature.

Of course you are able to access recorded TV programs from Theatre View.  ::) I believe by default you will find recorded TV Shows under the "Video/TV Shows" menu in Theatre View, but I have modified Theatre View to separate out TV recordings. Use the "Recent" sort to show recent recordings at the top of the list, rather than the prettier "Series" sort. Search the Wiki and Forum. Get to know MC.

I believe that addresses all of you issues, except this one;
5. Show channels in an Electronic Program Guide (EPG). Difference: In MC, channels lack icons and color coding; in WMC, icons and color coding are valuable enhancements to the EPG.
This is one area where MC could improve, and I'm sure it will at some stage, when the issue bubbles to the top of the priority list. It has been raised several times, and I suspect it is on the list of things to do. Just not yet.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 07:10:54 pm »

CountryBumkin and RoderickGI,
I just wanted to take a moment to thank you both for your generous assistance. None of the issues I'm wrestling with are solved yet, but you both have offered meaningful replies to my inquiries.
Kudos, applause, and many thanks for your efforts.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 11:57:04 am »

Just so you know also, I am using the HDHomeRun Prime as well, with no issues (I actually use 2 of them).

Since no one asked, do you know if your cable company is sending data as copy freely or copy once?  Currently, MC does not support copy once channels (although that may change eventually).

If you don't know, where are you located, and who is your cable company? 

I suppose if you are able to watch live TV, then this is probably a non issue, but it is still worth asking since some channels may be copy once, and some may be copy freely.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 08:39:24 am »

Thanks, muzicman0. I know about copy flags, and my provider (Comcast) flags only a limited number of channels. I'm aware of which ones they are, and I don't have those programmed in my EPG for MC21.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 09:08:52 am »

So...interesting...I am setting up a MC21 box (I use MC20 at home), and last nights recording on the new MC21 box was only 1 minute 13 seconds long...it should have been 2 hours.

I set up another recording that will start in 54 minutes, and I will report back if it fails after ~ 1 minute as reported in the OP.

Could this be a HDHomeRun Prime issue with MC21? Once I know what happens with this next recording, we will know more, and if needed can bring this issue to the attention of the devs.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 09:17:07 am »

IM4UK,
I would make a backup image of your computer  I hope you have a second internal drive or external storage on you system to backup to. You can use "Macrium Reflect" if you don't have something already http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx, then remove WMC completely, reinstall JRiver MC21 and go through the complete TV setup.  Also look in Windows Device Manager to make sure the TV card(s) are working properly (no "exclamation points", etc.). If JRiver still doesn't work properly, you can reinstall your backup image and be back to where you started.

It is important for JRiver to understand this problem, especially if/as more people start to move from WMC to JRiver.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 10:11:34 am »

On my test recording using MC21 and the HDHR Prime, it failed...but not as I expected.  It popped up a box saying that a critical error occurred, and that it would close the box in 7 seconds.  That box popped up multiple times.   Almost like it kept trying to restart the recording, but failed each time.

I rebooted, and now it appears to be recording fine.

I scheduled another recording at 8:30 (21 minutes from now).  Will see how that one fares.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 10:35:57 am »

This latest recording seems to be going fine.  I will continue to monitor it, and report back if there are issues, but it is well over 1 minute into the recording now.

Prior to the reboot (when I had the recordings fail), I had rebooted the tuner, and had just finished doing some Windows updates without rebooting, so it is very possible that my problems were system issues.  I will keep an eye on it though, and if it happens again, I will post the details.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 11:09:35 am »

I have an HDHomerun Prime.  

After reading the last few posts, I rolled back to version MC21.0.17 and scheduled three recordings.  The first one started at 10:30 am CST and finished at 11:00 am.  No problem.  The second started at 11:00 am and is still going, until noon.  The third one will start at 11:30 am.

muzicman0,

If recording encounters errors, MC will try the same tuner for a couple of more times.  That was why you got multiple popups.  After 3 tries, the tuner will be put in a temporary error state so MC will try another available tuner.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 11:13:16 am »

Thanks Yaobing.  My guess is that I hadn't relaunched MC since I had rebooted the tuner...I also added a reserved DHCP for the prime, so the IP address of the Prime would have changed...I am guessing that is the reason it failed.

It's a mystery why last night it only recorded 1 minute or so of a show.  but like I said, I had done some Windows updates without rebooting, so I can accept that this might have caused the issue.  I will know more on Monday when I come back in and see if the other stuff recorded fine over the weekend.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 08:14:55 am »

I've done some more troubleshooting and had some different results.
(Note that MC updated from 21.0.17 to 21.0.19 during part of this effort, so I cannot rule out the update as having some impact on the new results.)
I went back through my settings for Television in the Options. I verified that the only Tuner Profile configured in MC is OpenCable HDHR'.
I selected Manage Devices... and found that the 3 tuners for the HDHR' were listed, but were no longer in their previously-configured order. Further, the 4 tuners from the Ceton iTV4 are also listed, and some were prioritized above HDHR' tuners. I re-prioritized those, and I again disabled the Ceton tuners. (Those remain listed even after being disabled, so I cannot be certain my previous disabling of them was ignored, but the possibility of tuner conflict from the WMC use of those Ceton tuners suggests such a possibility. I recommend that disabled tuners should not be listed in that same Manage Devices... list.)
I watched a program and observed that it did not freeze on-the-hour. Good.
I set two programs to record. The first one recorded, but was saved in two different files, each containing only part of the program. The second program recorded and was properly saved in a single file.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 08:22:13 am »

Now that I was able to get a couple of TV recordings via MC, I sought them out in the "Recordings" subsection of the Theater View menus. They're not present there. More bizarre is the fact that every program from every non-hidden channel in my EPG is listed in "Recordings," although none of them (thank goodness) is actually recorded.
I was able to find the recorded programs in the folder on my HDD I told MC to use, so I was able to confirm recording, but what part of MC Theater View is the analog to the old WMC "Recorded TV?" It's not the "Recordings" subsection.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 08:30:53 am »

There is no "Recordings" section in Theater view, unless you customized it. 

The guide programs are under Video -> Guide -> Guide

Your recordings are either in Video -> Movies -> Recent, or in Video -> Shows -> Recent.

The default setup does not have a place equivalent to "Recorded TV" in WMC, but you can create one yourself.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 08:55:09 am »

There is a "Recordings" subsection that I did not add.
However, I have customized my Theater View, and I did just add a "Recorded TV" subsection under my "Shows" section. In that "Recorded TV" subsection, I configured it to point to the specified folder on my HDD.
I have just created some subscriptions to some frequently-aired sitcoms, so I'll populate the recorded TV folder with numerous files fairly quickly. This will help me continue to troubleshoot the behaviors I have observed.
I will report back with additional findings.
Thanks.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 09:40:09 am »

What I did was copy the settings for the 'series' view, but limited it to the recorded TV folder.  This way I have a 'Recorded TV' view that only shows stuff that I recorded, and I have a Series view, for stuff that I save.

If I remember correctly, I also moved most of the 'shows' criteria into the individual items (Series, recent, etc) - which I realize means duplicating a bunch of settings - that way, if I recorded a movie, it showed up in the recorded TV section.  I was also able to move the 'To Be Recorded' section under the 'Guide' menu to the shows menu...I like being able to check what is about to record without exiting the Shows view.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 08:59:02 am »

Reporting back with additional findings:

Over the past couple of days, I've had numerous recordings scheduled. Some recorded correctly; some did not record at all; one recorded partially (11 minutes out of 32). None exhibited the former consistent error of 1-minute recording, so that problem may have been overcome by re-disabling and re-ordering tuners.

MC21 is still not usable for reliable DVR functionality, but I have gotten it to cease exhibiting every-hour-on-the-hour playback stoppage.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 09:02:40 am »

I moved my home PC's to MC21 over the weekend, and have not had any issues at all.

I glanced through the thread, and didn't see it...what are your system specs?  RAM, CPU, GPU, etc?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 12:13:46 pm »

However, I have customized my Theater View, and I did just add a "Recorded TV" subsection under my "Shows" section. In that "Recorded TV" subsection, I configured it to point to the specified folder on my HDD.

You should not do any customizing until you confirm that the basic program is working . It is very hard to help someone troubleshoot when their system is customized.

@Yaobing,
When IAM4UK refers to "Recordings" I think he is talking about this area (below), not something in Theater View.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 02:53:15 pm »

MC21 is still not usable for reliable DVR functionality, but I have gotten it to cease exhibiting every-hour-on-the-hour playback stoppage.

IAM4UK, I know you are a smart person, but you are not helping us help you at all.

Until you do a test with WMC completely disabled, you are not going to make progress. Either backup your whole system and uninstall it, or stop it starting with Windows and Disable its services. Then test MC.

While WMC may seem to have worked infinitely better, it had enormous problems with tuner contention in the early days, and no-one would try to debug issues with WMC while another program that used tuners was active on the system.

Also, please run the MC benchmark on your system (Help/Benchmark), then create a short log of a recording and post it here. The log will contain the benchmark result and information about your system.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 06:24:11 pm »

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 4.141 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.745 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 2.093 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 1.403 seconds
Score: 1830

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.163 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.420 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.700 seconds
    Small renders... 1.462 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 1.069 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.602 seconds
Score: 4983

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.268 seconds
    Populate database... 2.215 seconds
    Save database... 0.949 seconds
    Reload database... 0.207 seconds
    Search database... 1.096 seconds
    Sort database... 1.286 seconds
    Group database... 0.678 seconds
Score: 3210

JRMark (version 21.0.19): 3341

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2015, 06:30:36 pm »

Intel Core i5-2500k @3.3GHz
8 GB RAM
Win7x64
nVidia GTX960, 4GB RAM
3840x2160@60Hz

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2015, 07:47:31 pm »

That is a good start. How about a log file?

It won't have any personal information in it. Just what is shown in the "Help/System Info" report, plus whatever you actually log, which can be as little as you like. If you only want to post the System Info report and no log file information, it is saved in the JRiver log zip file, with the name "System Info.txt", so you could just attach that file.

Already we can see that you are running at 4K resolution, which won't impact this particular issue, but will be important for lots of other issues.

I look forward to reading how your tests went with WMC removed/disabled.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 08:09:31 pm »

log

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 08:14:36 pm »

@Yaobing,
When IAM4UK refers to "Recordings" I think he is talking about this area (below), not something in Theater View.
I refer to both that standard view and Theater View. I intend users only to be seeing Theater View, but I have switched views during configuration and testing, of course.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 09:29:57 pm »

Okay. Can you confirm that the model TV tuner you are using for MC is the Silicon Dust HDHR3-CC?

If it is HDHR3-CC, or similar, it is connected via an Ethernet cable and is a network device, correct? I was expecting to see a device driver for the HDHR Prime, just as there is for your Ceton InfiniTV tuner. But there isn't one shown in your System Info, under Network adapters. Just there two records;

Network adapters
    Ceton InfiniTV Network Device (driver 1.0.2.4)
    Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (driver 11.15.12.0)

I don't use any cable provider, and don't have any Silicon Dust tuners, so can't be sure there should be a driver listed for it. Could someone else who has one check if a driver shows up for it in their System Info? Thanks.

I am wondering if there is an issue with maintaining a connection from MC to the HDHR tuners. If your PC is putting the network card to sleep, as part of power management, that would interrupt recordings. I would have thought that if a recording was in progress, neither the Network Interface Card or the HDHR would sleep. Maybe you could check your System Info report while a recording is actually in progress, and see if a driver for the HDHR is shown under Network adapters.

Also, if you run a recording and it stops early;
1. Go to Options/Television/Advanced/Show Status and see if the HDHR shows up or is missing.
2. Go to Options/Television/General/Manage Devices and see if the HDHR shows up or is missing.

Do those two things in sequence, and do nothing else beforehand. It will obviously be hard to tell if a recording stopped early without playing what ever was recorded. Particularly as when you have Time Shifting turn on and the channel is playing, then JTV files are going to be saved either for the recording if you use the JTV format for recordings, and alongside the TS recording file if you use that format.

So, I suggest that you set up a recording and do not watch any channel, then monitor the directory where the recording is going to be saved to see when file saving stops. You could use the "Show Status" function to check if the tuner is in use, but that may interfere with whatever the problem is. Best to leave MC alone while testing to see if the tuner remains available for the full duration of the recording.

The other way to do this of course is to capture in a log a recording failing to record a full program. I'm assuming that the log you posted doesn't include such an event. Only Yaobing or another JRiver developer can really read those logs and make sense of them.

Anyway, that is enough for now.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2015, 08:08:50 am »

No driver for the prime required.

Also, I know that the Intel 82579V has had two bugs in the firmware in the past.  One is that under a moderate load, it will just quit...Windows will think it is still working, but it is not.  The work around for that is to enable Jumbo packets.  The other (most likely won't affect your system, unless you have more than one) is that under certain conditions (I believe it was wake on LAN), it will come up with a certain MAC address (the MAC will be 00:03:ee:00:01:a7)...problem is that ALL Intel 82579V's that have this issue will come up with the same MAC address, which causes issues with network switching.  Workaround for this one is to use the Driver to soft code a unique MAC address.

I don't know that either of these bugs are causing your issues, but they might be...and it is not a driver issue, it is a firmware issue, so there is nothing you can do about it (short of installing a second NIC and using that one instead).  I work in QA/Tech Support/IT at a software company, and we ran into these issues many times.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2015, 08:13:09 am »

Thanks, RoderickGI.
Yes, my SiliconDust device is their HDHR Prime with CableCard, which I got as part of their recent Kickstarter campaign.
The HDHR' is connected via ethernet cable to my Asus AC68 router, which is connected via ethernet cable to the PC on which I'm trying to watch TV through MC21.
As for power management issues, I don't have a screensaver enabled in Windows, and I have set the hard drive and display to go to sleep Never.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2015, 08:16:33 am »

IAM4UK - I don't want to muddy up what others are walking you through, but have you verified that the HDHR Prime is functioning correctly using with SD's DVR software, or their View software?  Have you updated to the latest firmware for the Prime?

I also did the kickstarter for the HDHR DVR...what a disappointment!

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 08:17:10 am »

...Intel 82579V has had two bugs in the firmware in the past.  One is that under a moderate load, it will just quit...Windows will think it is still working, but it is not.  The work around for that is to enable Jumbo packets. 

Thanks, muzicman0. Any particular size of Jumbo packets, or should I just set it to the largest option in the pull-down menu on the Advanced Properties tab for the network adapter?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 08:22:45 am »

Yes, muzicman0, I've used the SiliconDust View software to watch content via the HDHR', although not recently. I'll re-check that. I've also kept up mostly with their updated builds. My hopes for that Kickstarter are not similar to what they've been doing so far; I share your assessment that it's a "disappointment." I replied to the thread on this forum that I'd have some interest in a TVPlus functionality. I think the main thing folks may be looking for out of that is access to Copy-once flagged channels, but whatever the case, I am interested in supporting whatever can become a true replacement for the DVR functionality of WMC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 08:42:52 am »

Could someone else who has one check if a driver shows up for it in their System Info?

My Windows Device Manager and MC's logging show HDHomeRun Prime in two places.  I am not sure why they do not show in in IAM4UK's logging. 

Under System Devices:
Code: [Select]
HDHomeRun DMS 1317874D (driver 6.1.7601.17514)
and under Sound, video and game controllers:
Code: [Select]
HDHomeRun Prime Tuner (driver 2009.8.4.0)
Those entries I suspect are their PBDA devices which we do not use directly.  However, I wonder if missing those entries is an indication of a problem. 

My system is also 64 bit Windows 7.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 08:50:16 am »

What's the normal process for installing HDHomerun?  Don't you have to install their software before anything will work?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 09:14:29 am »

What's the normal process for installing HDHomerun?  Don't you have to install their software before anything will work?
I have the HDHR Setup and Configuration programs installed, per Silicon Dust instructions. (I also have their HDHR VIEW program installed, because I participated in their Kickstarter.) But the HDHR' doesn't require network device drivers as the Ceton infiniTV does.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 09:16:00 am »

I installed their software.  I don't quite remember what I did, perhaps I installed from their disk, or a downloaded file.  I have three HDHomeRun programs installed - HDHomeRun Config, HDHomeRun Setup, and HDHomeRun VIEW.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 09:21:05 am »

The log file shows that you played a channel (probably from Theater View) for a few minutes.  No errors. 

It would be tricky to anticipate when a problem will occur, but the next time it occurs, make sure you grab the log (you have to keep logging on, otherwise we will not capture the problem event).  To keep the log file size low, you need to periodically reset logging when no problems are encountered.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up