INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Theater View startup - in Display View?  (Read 3973 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Weird Theater View startup - in Display View?
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:21:14 am »

When I started MC today and then went into Theater View, the screen was not showing usual Theater View menu. It started in one of the movies (see screen shot). I think this is Display View (which I never use).

I've been using MC for a while now, but I'll admit that I'm not that familiar with all the functions.
I had a hard time getting out of this view. I could get back to Standard View (with ESC key) but each time I went to View>Theater View I ended up back in the same place. I had to work my through hitting each "F" key until I finally got back to the normal Theater View menu.

Is this situation something odd - or is this normal behavior?  
If normal, I think it would be confusing and frustrating for some Users (it was for me). I think hitting the "ESC" key should take User back to Theater View "main menu".

This was my Theater View "start page" today:

This is view if I mouse "click" on the Cover Art (shown above): This is okay/good - but not helping

This is what happens when I hit the "ESC" key:

And when I hit ESC>Exit Theater View, I went back to Standard View, which I expected, but the next time I tried to get to Theater View (View>theater View) I ended up back on the same view (Display View?) as posted above.
I had to work my through the "F" keys to get back to the normal Theater View with the menu I was expecting to see. I don't know how this happened - and I was not watching the Bourne movie, so I have no idea what I might have done to provoke this behavior.

Arindelle

Re: Weird Theater View startup - in Display View?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 10:47:26 am »

check your settings Options=>Start-up --  then check your mode and view preferences. Do you have Last location and "last exit view" checked? I'm guessing it has something to do with that.  Somebody in your family was probably watching the Bourne movie, instead of going to school ?? ;D

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 11:10:51 am »

I checked Startup settings - and it was set to "last location", but I don't know how I got into "Display View" in the first place.
This is my laptop which is only used by me. I suppose I must have done something to cause this.

My biggest complaint is just that it is difficult to get out of Display View if you don't know which F key to hit.
I don't know if there is a better way for MC to do it - but I always reach for the ESC key when I'm trying to back out of trouble (which didn't help in this case).

Thanks for your reply.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 12:48:36 pm »

My biggest complaint is just that it is difficult to get out of Display View if you don't know which F key to hit.
I don't know if there is a better way for MC to do it - but I always reach for the ESC key when I'm trying to back out of trouble (which didn't help in this case).

Thanks for your reply.

I had the same problem trying to remember which Hot Keys did what for the various displays so I put together this quick list of display Hot Keys.

I have it in a popup in my True Launch Bar so I can get to it very quickly (in case I forget ::)).
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »

To get out of that view, all you needed to do was press the "Backspace" key, or the Back button on your remote, or press the left arrow a couple of times, or press enter when the Cover Art is highlighted, or as you found, click on the Cover Art. Note that pressing enter or clicking on the Cover Art can leave you in a bit of a loop though, since MC remembers how you got to a page, and will step back one step at a time with the backspace or left arrow keys. I usually use the backspace or Back button, as it provides the quickest navigation.

It isn't Display View, which by the way you are actually using every time you watch a program. I'm not sure what you would call the view, other than a detailed Movie View.

To get there, all you needed to do was be viewing the movie information, as per your second image, then press the down arrow to highlight the description text, then press enter. You can do that for all sorts of detailed displays when looking through movies. Try arrowing down to some of the other fields below the description field, and pressing enter. If you select the "mpaa rating" field, for example, you will get a list of all movies that have the same mpaa rating. Neat huh?

I use all the Ctrl-1 to 6 keyboard shortcuts all the time. They make it easy to move from Standard to Theatre View and back, when doing maintenance or testing something. On my Workstation MC Client I quite often Detach the Display to have a small windowing playing something while I am doing stuff. I don't use Ctrl-5 very often though, or Ctrl-2 either...

MC is big, isn't it!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:38:01 pm »

It isn't Display View, which by the way you are actually using every time you watch a program. I'm not sure what you would call the view, other than a detailed Movie View.

Yeah. That's not Display View. That's just one of the (useless in this instance) searches you can get by selecting one of the items on the item details screen in Theater View and hitting Enter/OK on it.

If you do the same on a Director or Genre, it'll search for other hits on that Genre or Director (or whatever). If you "search" on the description field (which it looks like is what happened to you there) it shows that basically useless search.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 05:18:01 am »

Thanks everyone.
I thought I got out of that view by hitting various keys (I tried them all). Now I know to use the "Ctrl" keys.
I'd rather turn off this search function to prevent someone from getting stuck - but now that I learned what happened, I'll know what to do if it happens again.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 11:15:48 am »

You don't need to use control keys. Just navigate Left like you would to exit any view level.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

doubrown

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 10:17:32 pm »

Help! I'm having a similar issue. Whenever I select "Watch" for a Movie or Show, the audio plays in the background but Theatre View still shows a grid with a green triangle play icon over the selected file. The audio plays in the background. If I exit back to Standard View, the video is playing in the Action window. If I go back to Theatre View and Select "Playing Now", I see the video in a frame. If I then select "Display View", it goes to full screen. I'm not sure what I did to mess MC up, but in the past it would go to the full screen view on selecting "Watch".

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 01:53:20 am »

Check your setting at "Tools/Options/Theatre View/Behaviour/Jump on play (video)". It should be set to Display View.

If it is set to "None" you will see the behaviour you have reported.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

doubrown

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 01:18:07 pm »

That was the problem. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up