INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Fails to install  (Read 9318 times)

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
MC Fails to install
« on: October 16, 2015, 06:41:32 pm »

Hello,

I have purchased MC21 and have a problem with the software not installing.  I have the following:

Windows XP Professional  service pack 1
AMD Athlon 3200  2.2.1 GHz
Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.641
No Spyware or Pop Up blockers

When installing MC21, the installation green bar goes all the way to 100% and then nothing.  I have cleared the temporary internet files from Mozilla Firefox and unchecked the pop up blocker on it.  Also, I tried to install MC21 while pausing Kaspersky Internet Security but still come up with nothing after the green bar goes all the way to 100%.

Any help would be appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MC Fails to install
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 06:43:58 pm »

If it is the antivirus software causing the problem (and there is a very good possibility it is, then uninstalling it may be the only way to know.

Antivirus problem thread

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
MC Fails to install
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 12:40:48 pm »

Deputy Dawg here again.

My apologies for not correctly identifying the operating system.  I have Windows 7 Professional.

I did as asked and uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security entirely, but had the same results as before.  The green installation bar goes all the way, then nothing.  I went to properties and under security, allowed the installation program not to be blocked.  As I have no other pop up blockers or malware detection and I have given the installation program permission to install.  I am wits end. 

Please help!

JimH

• Administrator
MC Fails to install
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:04:15 pm »

My apologies for not correctly identifying the operating system.  I have Windows 7 Professional.

I did as asked and uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security entirely, but had the same results as before.  The green installation bar goes all the way, then nothing.  I went to properties and under security, allowed the installation program not to be blocked.  As I have no other pop up blockers or malware detection and I have given the installation program permission to install.  I am wits end. 
Are you installing as Admin?

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
MC Fails to install
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:01:42 pm »

Yes, I have installed as Admin, and still nothing happens.  I have never had a problem with other applications being stopped by Kaspersky, just this one. When I uninstalled the whole program of Kaspersky Internet Security for this one time, and installed as Admin, the green bar went all the way and..............nothing.

JimH

• Administrator
MC Fails to install
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 03:07:39 am »

Firewall?

That Kaspersky has had no problems with other programs doesn't really mean anything.  Sorry.  Read the antivirus thread if you still have doubts.

Did you reboot?

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
MC Fails to install
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »

Ok, here is what I have tried so far.  I have Windows 7 Professional.

1. Removed temporary files from Mozilla Firefox.

2. Shut off Windows Defender.

3. Have no spyware or pop up blockers.

4. Uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security and rebooted.

5.Tried to install as Administrator.

6. Went to Properties and under Security Tab unblocked the JRiver Media Center from being blocked.

And then.........nothing.  The green bar goes all the way and then nothing happens.

I like this program and hope that a solution can be found.  I used JRiver Media Center 210017 to install and I know that 21009 is available but I wonder if the same thing will happen with it.

Thank you for your time and patience!

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
MC Fails to install
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »

Deputy Dawg here again,

Any news on how to install JRiver Media Center?  The installation will not proceed and if there is no solution I would like a refund for the program.

Thank you very much.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: MC Fails to install
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 02:01:32 am »

Could you try it on another machine, just to prove to yourself that it isn't a problem with MC?

I understand that it seems otherwise, but this is certain to be a problem with "security" software.  It is solvable.

You could see some examples here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 10:36:41 am »

Hello JimH,

I have done as you asked and tried to install on a laptop. The installation screen came on even with Kaspersky Internet Security ON, and tried to install.  I think we can safely rule out the antivirus as the culprit, since I had uninstalled it before and would still not install.

I have no other security software on the machine such as spyware or pop up blockers and have turned off Windows Defender.  I checked the permissions and have full control as an Administrator and with my screen name.

I suspect for some reason Windows is the culprit but as to what it is doing I have no clue.

I will try to have some patience and work with you in order to see if there is a solution.  Perhaps it may help someone else

It for some reason will not install on my desktop and am out of hints as to what it could be.  If you have any leads I will try them.

Thank you very much for your time and patience!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 10:43:48 am »

I have done as you asked and tried to install on a laptop. The installation screen came on even with Kaspersky Internet Security ON, and tried to install.  I think we can safely rule out the antivirus as the culprit, since I had uninstalled it before and would still not install.
I don't think you can rule it out, even if it works on one machine. 

Try a search for similar problems with that antivirus program.

Is the one that works an old machine?

I notice that you're running an old OS:
Windows XP Professional  service pack 1

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 01:45:09 pm »

I've installed MC with Kaspersky running on both Win 7 and 10 without any problems.

Dumb question, but....do you have sufficient disk space (enough for temp files)?

Installing in the default directory?

Can you install other programs without a problem?

Another test: create a new account on your machine and see if it installs on the new account.

jamezua

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 02:02:53 pm »

I've installed MC with Kaspersky running on both Win 7 and 10 without any problems.

Dumb question, but....do you have sufficient disk space (enough for temp files)?

Installing in the default directory?

Can you install other programs without a problem?

Another test: create a new account on your machine and see if it installs on the new account.

Have you tried making a Portable installation on an external drive?  ?

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 07:08:46 pm »

Hello, in answer to some questions:

I have Windows 7 Professional, not as erroneously as I had said Windows XP

1) Dumb question but...do you have sufficient disk space (enough for temp files?)

Yes, I have partitioned and on C I have 12.8 GB free space, enough for temp files and on another D I have 33 GB free.

2) Installing in the default directory?

There is no popup for me to direct it to install it into another directory.  The green bar appears and then.....nothing.

3) Can you install other programs without a problem?

Now here is where there is another problem. I had tried to install the newer version of Amazon Music Installer and it will not install either. It is pointing to the problem,  but where I don't know.

I did not try to create a new account as I ran out of time and had to go to work, but will try when I have time.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 08:14:51 pm »

I again tried to rule out Kaspersky Internet Security so I uninstalled it and rebooted.  I took care to make sure in Properties of the installation software that under the Security tab that it was not blocked, and that as Administrator and other screen names I had full control and was not denied access.  It was so and Windows Defender was turned off,  there is ample MBs for temporary files to install and all was taken care of,  then I proceeded to install as Administrator.

I again tried installing it and the green bar appeared, and then again, nothing happened. No installation screen appeared.

I believe after this experiment that it is NOT the anti virus, it having been totally removed and rebooted to make sure it did not remain.

As I have NO other pop up blockers and security software on the computer, I have to assume its Windows, although I have no idea what its doing, if anything at all.

I'll keep trying but I have no idea what to try, or other direction to follow.

Perhaps a clue: my computer is 12 years old maybe the hardware is too old to run it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 01:16:21 am »

Perhaps a clue: my computer is 12 years old maybe the hardware is too old to run it?
Possible.  At one time, about 5 years ago, we made a decision to support CPU's that lacked some math capabilities (I think).  I don't recall the details, but the chips were old and we needed to move forward.  It didn't cause many problems, but you may have found one.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 03:57:20 am »

You mentioned another program that failed to install.

I'd try a few other freeware programs and see what happens. Not sure what it will point to though, but maybe a clue will be provided.

You might also try deleting all the programs you no longer use.

Also, check the Event Viewer and see what messages are there around the time of the failed install. That might provide a clue.

For programs to try: Notepad++, Freemind, calibre (not that I like it but it's another to check out), 7-Zip.

You can delete these if they install, but it would be interesting to know if you can install anything at this point.

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 02:43:29 pm »

As I mentioned in the above post, I have an AMD Athlon Barton 3200 2.21 Mhz chip on an ASUS A7N8X-E motherboard.

Is this one of the chips that is not supported?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »

As mentioned before, go to Windows Control Panel>User Accounts and create a new account with admin privileges. Then log onto that account and try to install. I'll bet you have a corrupted account regarding your current admin privileges.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 11:10:20 am »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 11:15:21 am »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 11:35:10 am »

Maybe you could find a better, but similar, CPU.

Deputy Dawg

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 07:58:37 pm »

Just a progress report on what is happening.  I installed my old program of JRiver Media 17 and lo and behold, no problems.  Not even with Kaspersky Anti-Virus on!  Obviously, the CPU is not up to snuff with JRiver

Media Center 21.  Perhaps an advisement  may be in order for us people that haven't upgraded to a faster CPU.  I will be upgrading in a few months so perhaps there may be no problems. 

Thanks again everybody for your time, patience, and input!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 10:24:16 pm »

Media Center 21.  Perhaps an advisement  may be in order for us people that haven't upgraded to a faster CPU.

The SSE2 requirement has been listed in the System Requirements article for years:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/System_Requirements
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up