INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray and MKV 3D support [Under Development]  (Read 241256 times)

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2016, 08:07:31 am »

Oh and to be crystal clear the osd I'm referring to is mc21's not madvr's.

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MKV 3D support
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2016, 08:09:01 am »

is it because the check flag DSD11 isnt enabled?  If i enable it it plays back as D3D11
No.

Read my reply again carefully. All the information is in there.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2016, 08:34:10 am »

ok my problem is now resolved it is now seeing D3D11 and I indeed now get 3D.  The reason is wasn't working in my case was I installed lav nightly but didn't realise I also had to copy the 32 bit lav folder into

C:\Users\drfel\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Plugins\lav

this has now resolved my issue so I'm in the same place as you guys ... I get 3D but only when osd is used.... as soon as osd disappears so does 3D

weird

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2016, 08:35:58 am »

Strange, I thought the latest LAV nightly should no longer require the DLL to be copied. But maybe nevcairiel hasn't implemented that fix yet?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2016, 09:37:41 am »

I have just tried MPC-HC and that works perfectlyin 3D so this is indeed a JRiver issue. Hopefully that can be fixed.

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2016, 10:26:27 am »

madVR supports different OSD APIs. This is likely to be a bug in madVR, even though it doesn't occur in MPC-HC.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2016, 10:34:21 am »

The "OSD" they are talking about is not drawn with the video renderer, its normal player GUI. People like to call anything on screen a OSD. :p
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2016, 10:39:14 am »

Yea yea, Hendrik.  :P  I did clarify what I meant in another post.  HAHA

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2016, 10:42:10 am »

Hmmmm... I wonder how that can then have an effect on 3D, especially when exclusive mode is turned off. Strange! Won't have time until next weekend to look into this, in any case.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2016, 10:43:31 am »

i have just found a workaround that allows 3D to play correctly

see grab below if i set madvr like this 3dplayback is fine if GUI is displayed or not

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2016, 10:47:47 am »

I can confirm that does indeed work.  That's highly messed up.  Any thoughts on that one, madshi?

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2016, 11:05:36 am »

Hmmmm... With that option disabled, in your OS (not NVidia!) display resolution control panel, do you have the stereoscopic/3D checkbox set before you start video playback? And when that MC GUI is shown, and you then close and reopen the OS display resolution control panel, is that checkbox still set? And does any of this change when you enable that madVR option?

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2016, 11:07:16 am »

P.S: @Hendrik, can you double check the MC source code for "SetStereoEnabled"? Maybe MC has some code somewhere that intentionally disables 3D mode for some weird reason? That's about the only thing that makes sense to me right now...

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2016, 11:10:15 am »

Hmmmm... With that option disabled, in your OS (not NVidia!) display resolution control panel, do you have the stereoscopic/3D checkbox set before you start video playback? And when that MC GUI is shown, and you then close and reopen the OS display resolution control panel, is that checkbox still set? And does any of this change when you enable that madVR option?

NOT set before I start playback.
Set while playing back.
Still set when I exit MC

And yes, changing that option most definitely changes the equation.  It's doing some funky stuff when the option is enabled for 2d playback to turn it off when the GUI is showing and when not.  It's getting highly confused.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2016, 11:46:02 am »

my situation is identical to SamuriHL

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2016, 12:18:53 pm »

P.S: @Hendrik, can you double check the MC source code for "SetStereoEnabled"? Maybe MC has some code somewhere that intentionally disables 3D mode for some weird reason? That's about the only thing that makes sense to me right now...

That string is not in our sources anywhere.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »

Ok, thanks, will do some tests myself with MC21 next weekend, hope I'll be able to reproduce it.

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2016, 07:19:08 pm »

OK, this is very good news. I have a 3D capable projector, but have made no use of that capability as I use JR Media Center exclusively. I suspect the hardware is in need of updating, and its currently on Windows 7.

So, question. If I'm updating the machine and want to support 3D playback will I be well served if I go to an all Intel solution using on board Intel video with the latest generation Core i3 processor?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2016, 02:08:33 am »

As its MadVr doing the 3D processing i would think about getting a reasonably powerful graphics card if you want to make use of Madvrs scaling / processing.
If not then i think on board intel hardware will work with the lowest settings in Madvr. You acan always add a card if you need one  ;D

My set up used i5 last gen and gtx 980ti and that pretty much flies with Madvr but i tend to use the highest processing settings.

The 3D that the madshi and Hendrik have been working on is brilliant and works well.

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2016, 09:22:36 am »

Hi,

I have been using Stereoscopic player for 3DMKV via a script within MC.

I wanted to see what others were doing and what issues they had ... but didn't realize MadVR is adding 3D playback.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm super excited about it. I have about 110 3D Blu Rays and I really like 3DBD.

I guess I won't start a thread about people's experience with 3D and MC .. but rather I'll go back to the start of this one and see if I can get this method working... Fantastic !

(I'm glad the other way works tho .. it completely works for me... This new development is almost more than I could hope for.)

-Brian

Edit - haven't had any luck with it so far. ... But seeing the 3D options in MadVR totally made my day. I imagine how nice it would be to really have 3D capability in MC. Totally blows away MC's only genuine competition Kaliedescape.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2016, 02:14:59 pm »

it should work whats your issue? i must admit it took me  a few attempts to get it working

CountryBumkin

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2016, 02:46:14 pm »

I haven't tried yet - but what do you need to do in the NVidia control panel (turn on anything)? And do you need to install NVidia 3d or something else besides the latest LAV and madVR versions?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2016, 03:25:45 pm »

install latest lav nightly

http://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/

install latest madvr

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

then....this bits important as it caught me out

copy the contents of the lav 32 bit folder in programme files
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Plugins\lav

you then need to set up nvidia stereoscopic settings to make sure left/right eye is correct and thats about it

3D works well on my nvidia 980 not perfect yet a few dropped frames and some switching issues but apart from that all ok

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2016, 04:15:51 pm »

OK ... I wasn't sure about copy-ing the lav filter info into the JRiver plugins folder.

I assumed that installing the lav filters registered them and after that the current registered version would be used.

So,.. I copy-ed the lav filter files into the proper JRiver plugins folder and re tried.

I got Side By Side 3D but I'm currently using a non 3D monitor ... I'll take the PC back to the HT where the 3D Projector is and try again...

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2016, 04:20:06 pm »

As its MadVr doing the 3D processing i would think about getting a reasonably powerful graphics card if you want to make use of Madvrs scaling / processing.
If not then i think on board intel hardware will work with the lowest settings in Madvr. You acan always add a card if you need one  ;D

My set up used i5 last gen and gtx 980ti and that pretty much flies with Madvr but i tend to use the highest processing settings.

The 3D that the madshi and Hendrik have been working on is brilliant and works well.

OK, thanks. I'm a watcher not a tweaker, so all I need is the basic Madvr capabilities. At present a GT440 does what I need, so I guess the Intel way will be OK. Plus Nvidia gave me big driver problems when I briefly tried to move from Win 7 to Win 10 late last year.

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2016, 04:32:04 pm »

Just tried again and I'm so impressed. Seems perfect. !!

This makes me SOOOOOO happy !! It's like a gift ... a great gift.. I didn't get anything for xmass so it's like suddenly a late gift.

I did have stereoscopic player working and I guess the money I spent on Stereoscopic player is just out the window but I'm much to happy to think like that just now.

I watched a bunch of scenes from Tanlged, Final Destination 4 and 5, Shark Night, Frankenweenie ... I'm just so darn happy.

JRiver now plays everything... everything I have. ! I'm so happy!

-Brian

ps I did hit a snag ... One title (Bait) has inverted polarity. With Stereoscopic player a sort of database of the titles is made so you can address titles with incorrect polarity. I don't know if there's a work around for this problem (aside from putting on the glasses upside down with does work.)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2016, 12:33:38 am »

in madvr settings  under stereo 3d you can swap the left/right eye

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2016, 04:22:42 am »

in madvr settings  under stereo 3d you can swap the left/right eye

Great ... so there must likely be a keyboard command for that also. I wonder why only one of the 12 or so 3DBD that I ripped so far has reverse polarity. I don't think my regular 3D player has a way to flip polarity so I thought maybe all 3DBD had the same polarity.

I know that displays in general have a polarity switch option. (at least my 2 do.) I was thinking about re-ripping that title to see if I did something wrong.

maybe there is polarity information in the header of the mkv file. ??

-Brian

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2016, 05:20:07 am »

im sure madhsi has a plan for left/right eye polarity. My lg oled allows me to switch it on the fly. whats the effect anyway when the polarity is wrong as i havent come across this yet

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
Re:
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2016, 05:28:12 am »

There is metadata on the bluray that they believe isn't being added to the mkv about the left/right channel. It may not even be possible to read it. Not really sure yet.

rec head

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2016, 07:34:32 am »

Now I'm really excited about this. I have a (hopefully) simple question: Is there anything special I need to do in MakeMKV when I rip a 3D title?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2016, 07:41:13 am »

nope just use this

http://www.makemkv.com/download/

and you want to ensure you rip the MVC file as well (thats the 3D bit)

see screen grab

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2016, 08:13:47 am »

im sure madhsi has a plan for left/right eye polarity. My lg oled allows me to switch it on the fly. whats the effect anyway when the polarity is wrong as i havent come across this yet

Stuff in the background becomes stuff in the foreground and you will know it when you see it. The depth is inverted.

A simple way to see it is to put the glasses on upside down and view something with good 3D.

rec head

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2016, 09:10:50 am »

nope just use this

http://www.makemkv.com/download/

and you want to ensure you rip the MVC file as well (thats the 3D bit)

see screen grab

Thanks, I haven't messed with 3D on th PC for a while when my attempt was frustrating and unsuccessful.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2016, 02:11:17 am »

To be fair considering this feature is still only in testing its all pretty stable and easy to implement!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2016, 02:17:56 am »

:( it is hit and miss for me.  For those that having it working reliably, what GPU and OS do you have.

I have an nVidia 660Ti / Win 10 64-Bit / Latest Driver (dec)
JRiver CEO Elect

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2016, 03:02:22 am »

For me it seems to be fairly reliable on Win10 Pro 64bit, AMD R9 270X with Crimson 16.1 drivers.  Key thing for me was to leave the 4th checkbox on the 3D settings screen unticked (restore os stereo 3D settings on media player is closed).  If I ticked that setting then I had crashes if I tried to play a 2nd movie regardless of whether or not I restart MC.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2016, 03:53:32 am »

:( it is hit and miss for me.  For those that having it working reliably, what GPU and OS do you have.

Nvidia 980 Ti I5 Win 10 64bit

the only issue i get is switching back to desktop resolution after film is finished and some dropped frames occasion stutter/hiccup that didnt happen with earlier versions of Madvr

i can send some screen shots of my settings if you wish

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2016, 03:59:59 am »

I have Windows 10 64 bit, Nvidia GTX 750, CPU is i5 3.2Ghz (PC itself is just a run of the mill Dell Inspiron)

It totally works for me. It goes in and out of 3D properly and plays perfectly. I can go to any 3D movie and follow with any 2D movie. The one and only problem I have seen is a 3D polarity problem with one movie. I haven't seen crashes.

I did have to dumb down my MadVR settings because otherwise I wouldn't have enough CPU I guess. I changed Chroma to something simple (Bicubic I think ...)

Also,.. it helped me to turn off Exclusive mode for video... that going into and out of exclusive mode didn't seem helpful.

I also ticked the box saying when playing 2D to disable 3D .. that was important or it wouldn't leave 3D mode.

finally...Jmone.. thank you for the script you made.. 2 days ago I was as happy as I could be with that... if this option never happened or doesn't pan out then what you did still totally works. (And has the advantage that I can do more with MadVR for 2D if I'm using SP for 3D.)

-Brian

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2016, 04:21:05 am »

thanks for the replies... I'm thinking a later GPU may be in order....

(and Brian, the script may still be of use for Menus etc ... or any other feature another player has that MC does not.  One day I hope it will be completely unnecessary)
JRiver CEO Elect

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2016, 06:30:35 am »

thanks for the replies... I'm thinking a later GPU may be in order....

(and Brian, the script may still be of use for Menus etc ... or any other feature another player has that MC does not.  One day I hope it will be completely unnecessary)

Well,... your work is still very useful to me. I'm thrilled with madVR and this new ability. However, using the external program for now has several key advantages.

1 - I can keep more aggressive MadVR settings for 2D
2 - Stereoscopic player builds a kind of database for all files it plays and with this I can set polarity correctly
3 - For the moment the Stereoscopic player is more stable.

Out of curiousity, I used JRemote to try to stream to my iphone... Opening any 3D movie just didn't work ... I guess it try-ed to use the 3D somehow and gave up.

-Brian

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2016, 06:33:47 am »

1 - I can keep more aggressive MadVR settings for 2D

You can setup profiles in madVR to switch settings for 3D to be more conservative.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hilton

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2016, 08:20:06 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is so incredibly cool! Cant wait to test this out!  Thanks guys for working on this.

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2016, 11:50:29 am »

You can setup profiles in madVR to switch settings for 3D to be more conservative.

Neat... I'm still learning.

And,.... I'm still so excited about this new development!....

It is really dern cool.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2016, 02:22:13 pm »

I've got a GTX 760 in my main PC so I'll try to swap it with the 660Ti in the HTPC and see if that makes any difference.  What is the "sweat" spot these days in nvidia for HTPC use?
JRiver CEO Elect

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2016, 03:54:53 pm »

Jmone, I believe NVidia 3D Play is required. Maybe that's why u r having troubles?

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »

I've tried to reproduce the problem with playback becoming 2D when the OSD is shown (or not shown), but it doesn't seem to happen on my PC. I've done one change, though. Could you guys double check whether it makes any difference?

http://madshi.net/madVRmc21.rar

Simply overwrite the madVR.ax file in the JRiver madVR folder.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2016, 04:30:50 pm »

I've got a GTX 760 in my main PC so I'll try to swap it with the 660Ti in the HTPC and see if that makes any difference.  What is the "sweat" spot these days in nvidia for HTPC use?

Nope by 760 needs a 8 pin PCI-E power, and my HTPC only has 6 Pin.  I'll grab a GTX960 today and try out madshi's new build.
JRiver CEO Elect

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2016, 04:41:12 pm »

Sweet spot right now would be 960 because it supports 10bit HEVC decoding, unlike most other GPUs. But if you can wait, next generation GPUs should have roughly twice the performance per Watt. Coming out mid 2016 or something like that.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2016, 06:02:14 pm »

I've tried to reproduce the problem with playback becoming 2D when the OSD is shown (or not shown), but it doesn't seem to happen on my PC. I've done one change, though. Could you guys double check whether it makes any difference?

http://madshi.net/madVRmc21.rar

Simply overwrite the madVR.ax file in the JRiver madVR folder.

Rolled back and forth a couple of times.  This one does not even do a change of res for me so it is always SBS D3D9 and does not put the GPU into 3D mode at all.  Even when I manually put it the settings into 3D then it is still SBS D3D9.  When I rollback the madvr.ax then it is what I got before.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up