INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flashing Panes  (Read 5155 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Flashing Panes
« on: January 31, 2016, 09:40:25 pm »

It has now been three months since flashing panes were introduced in 21.0.19
And every single time I bring up a pane, whether it's the tagging pane, playlists, import, or something else, it still really bothers me.
I click a button to bring up the tagging pane, start looking for a specific tag and it blinks at a really slow speed which means that I can't read anything until I interact with the pane.

It's one of those little things that eats away at you.
Every time it happens, it gets a little bit more frustrating than the last.
I should know that it's going to happen because the program has been doing it for three months now, but it is instinctual to expect that whenever I bring up a pane, I'm actually going to be able to read it without interacting with it first.
People that know me, know that I am a calm person that generally doesn't get angry about things. But every time this happens I feel my blood beginning to boil.

I never would have thought that such a tiny change could be so annoying, but it is a constant frustration that happens multiple times a day.
Can we please get an option to disable this, even if it's just a hidden registry tweak that's not in the options window.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Flashing Panes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:38:32 am »

+1 to make this an option.
I find it rather distracting.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:59:11 am »

sorry JRiver guys. have to give my plus 1 on this ... also can become problematic for custom skins, which is more than just a distraction; Would be nice to turn it off somehow

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:15:43 am »

I don't get it....maybe the skin I use....the only thing that flashes is the bottom left corner box, for like 3 or 4 flashes then it's over!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

DarkSpace

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:19:04 am »

I agree. I initially thought it would be tolerable, but e.g. when I want to (re-)tag a file and bring up the tagging window, I'll usually look for the tag that I want to change first, and only then click into the window (at the right position, of course). In effect, that workflow is to bring up the window -> search -> click on the field I want to change. The flashing, though, forces me to click into the window at a random location, because otherwise, it distracts me so I have to re-start searching. Not only does this necessitate further action (which can be a nuisance, depending on how many other things I'm doing at the moment), it also brings with it a focus change, which means I have a higher chance of accidentally altering values that I actually wanted to leave alone, without noticing, or perhaps noticing too late.
Add to that the peculiarity that I'm never 100% sure that I actually sent a click somewhere (I blame the touchpad I'm currently using), and being able to turn off pane flashing becomes a really nice prospect.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:00:21 am »

What's flashing?

I bring up my panes view and it's just totally static (as I'd expect).

I click between values and it's still totally stable.

Thanks for any tips.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DarkSpace

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:13:19 am »

What's flashing is the newly-opened side panel. When I press <ALT>+<ENTER> from e.g. Playing Now to bring up the tagging sidepane, that tagging sidepane will flash. It will only stop flashing after having flashed twice already, or after I give it focus. Both options are an irritation because it means that after bringing up the sidepane, I am still unable to proceed: Either I have to wait until the flashing stops, or I have to actually move my mouse, both of which are an interruption. In contrast, I'd expect to bring up the tagging window, search for the field that I want to change (e.g. Artist), and when I have found that, moving my mouse to give focus to that field so I can adjust its value. I hope this description is understandable, because I'm not all that confident... :-\

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 09:19:59 am »

What's flashing is the newly-opened side panel. When I press <ALT>+<ENTER> from e.g. Playing Now to bring up the tagging sidepane, that tagging sidepane will flash. It will only stop flashing after having flashed twice already, or after I give it focus. Both options are an irritation because it means that after bringing up the sidepane, I am still unable to proceed: Either I have to wait until the flashing stops, or I have to actually move my mouse, both of which are an interruption. In contrast, I'd expect to bring up the tagging window, search for the field that I want to change (e.g. Artist), and when I have found that, moving my mouse to give focus to that field so I can adjust its value. I hope this description is understandable, because I'm not all that confident... :-\
I think that is what I see (and also find annoying/distracting)

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 09:39:45 am »

Confirmed here too. Selecting a file and pressing ALT+ENTER will open the tag window and it will flash.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 09:41:56 am »

Also flashes when running auto import. Annoying.

Put a progress bar or anything else in there - but this flashing thing serves no purpose that I can see.

VP

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 10:14:17 am »

Yes, I see the flashing in the tag window and import window.

Honestly, I hate it. It is visually jarring. I can understand that it perhaps helps a new user see where to go, but I wish I could turn it off.

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 11:28:49 am »

What's flashing?

I bring up my panes view and it's just totally static (as I'd expect).

I click between values and it's still totally stable.

Thanks for any tips.

I’m seeing something similar but it may only be related to the latest stable version…

On version 21.0.24 (My HTPC)

List style ‘Details’
I have double click set to open file properties.
Double clicking a track opens the tagging window. The editable portion of the tag window flashes twice (grey for me). Once open this behavior is no longer seen, unless of course you close and then re-open the tagging window via the above process.

Selecting the white space below the list of tracks is comparable to selecting the title (in this case it’s an album title). The tagging window will display a composite view of all the files in that view. Properties with different values display as ‘various’.

On version 21.0.42 (My workstation)

List style ‘Details’
I have double click set to open file properties.
Double clicking a track opens the tagging window. No flashing.

Selecting the white space below the list of tracks will cause the tag window to display ‘no files selected’ and flash once. Selecting the album title does the same.

Curious...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 12:40:45 pm »

The tag window flashes a few times when you open it because we want it to be clear that's what you just opened.

We had some silly user tests in the past where people were totally lost by some things like that.

So you get the flashing.  Get used to it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RD James

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »

I'm not asking for its removal, I'm asking for a preference to disable it - for those of us that find it annoying, rather than helpful.

It has been three months now, and I am no more "used to it" than the day it was implemented. It frustrates me more and more as time goes on.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 01:50:59 pm »

I'm not asking for its removal, I'm asking for a preference to disable it - for those of us that find it annoying, rather than helpful.

It has been three months now, and I am no more "used to it" than the day it was implemented. It frustrates me more and more as time goes on.
I gotta agree. An option to turn it off would allow more experienced users a better visual experience. It really is jarring.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 03:49:16 pm »

The flashing was originally added because an item that is not normally in the Action Window, Convert Format, wasn't "easy" to find once you clicked Convert Format. I would prefer it to only flash for that item, or make the Convert Format action a separate window like Analyze Audio.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 04:24:21 pm »

We'll talk about it and see if it can be modified, but it isn't going away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up